PDA

View Full Version : Nebraska Campaign for Liberty recognized on thehill.com

forsmant
01-23-2011, 03:56 PM
http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/state-a-local-politics/139393-state-bankruptcy-and-a-heartland-homegrown-solution-nebraskas-lb-515

The New York Times reports today that policymakers are working behind the scenes to come up with a way to let states declare bankruptcy and get out from under crushing debts, including the pensions they have promised to retired public workers: “Unlike cities, the states are barred from seeking protection in federal bankruptcy court. Any effort to change that status would have to clear high constitutional hurdles, because the states are considered sovereign.”

But states are finding their own ways to save money. Last fall, the Nebraska Campaign for Liberty distributed copies of Tom Woods’s book Nullification to 44 of the 49 members of the Legislature. They followed up with discussion with some other senators about the kind of things they’d like to see done and provided some “model legislation” — courtesy of the Tenth Amendment Center.

“We didn’t have great expectations,” said Laura Ebke of Red State Eclectic. “We thought that perhaps we’d get a little bit of notice, establish ourselves as some sort of states’-rights/limited-government presence, and maybe scope out which senators we might be able to work with on some issues.”

Then she got an e-mail from a legislative aide for one of her senators about a bill that was getting ready to be introduced. Here is a piece of it:

Sec. 3. (1) The Legislature declares that the federal Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act is not authorized by the Constitution of the United States and violates its true meaning and intent as given by the founders and ratifiers and is hereby declared to be invalid in this state, shall not be recognized by this state, is specifically rejected by this state, and shall be considered null and void and of no effect in this state.

Could be an interesting battle, said Ebke.

Governors are raising their voices as well.

Susan Molinari, journalist and member of the U.S. House of Representatives from New York for three terms, told Connell McShane on Fox Business this past week that we will see a “bifurcation of states” between those that bring creative and responsible ways of handling their debt and those that just raise taxes. New leaders, she says — presumably among governors — will rise from this. This will happen within the next 60 days, she said.

A “bifurcation of states”: Consider the possibilities. Parker and Spitzer are not going to like this.

forsmant
01-23-2011, 04:27 PM
The bill will probably face great opposition in the Nebraska State Legislatures Judicial Committee. There are 3 democrats and 4 republicans, but I do not believe any of the republicans will vote to pass the bill. I wrote this letter to the 4 republicans and am debating on sending it to the dems. What do you all think?

I am writing to you today to ask for your support in passing LB515, the health care nullification bill. I believe that the federal government has overstepped its authority in passing the new health care law and I am not confident that the Supreme Court is an impartial arbiter of federal powers. It is up to the states to declare unconstitutional acts null and void. This was done in 2005 with the Real ID act and can be done again. The fiscal burden the health care law puts on the backs of state governments is overwhelming and will raise the taxes of all Nebraskans. Your committee is the first step in exercising the 10th amendment rights of the great state of Nebraska. Please vote to pass LB 515.

Thank You,

Travis Forsman

muzzled dogg
01-23-2011, 04:32 PM
great idea re: distributing nullification

i imagine we talked about doing that on here

wonder if tom woods would sell it in bulk at discounted rate for this purpose?

MelissaWV
01-23-2011, 04:33 PM
Very nice!

forsmant
01-23-2011, 04:33 PM
I don't know, but I do know several other states have done the same. Idaho for example. FrankRep has many posts about it.

angelatc
01-23-2011, 05:30 PM
Sweet! Laura owns Red State Eclectic, the blog I blog on. She's got her hands in a lot of pots - she's amazing.

/collins

forsmant
01-23-2011, 05:38 PM
Laura Ebke has been a tremendous help in getting the Ron Paul people together in the state of Nebraska.

itshappening
01-23-2011, 08:12 PM
we need to find and recruit a Ron Paul viable liberty candidate for the GOP Senate primary in Nebraska because Nelson is going down

should be a priority primary for us

forsmant
01-23-2011, 09:29 PM
Good luck finding a viable Liberty candidate in Nebraska. We are all amateurs. Nelson will go down but it will be to an establishment republican. Believe me though, we are trying to find someone.