01-22-2011, 07:41 PM
http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0111/DeMint_joins_CPAC_boycott.html

Matt Collins
01-22-2011, 07:51 PM
Oh well, who cares?

Kinda lame though to be honest.

TheTyke
01-22-2011, 08:00 PM
Whatever happened to fighting for what you believe in? The moment someone you disagree with shows up you run away?

I'm not sure of DeMint's reasons for not attending, and he is one of my favorite senators... but to all the groups boycotting - stand up for what you believe in already. That's what we're doing.

ronpaulhawaii
01-22-2011, 08:04 PM
Dondero's comment

Actually, the much bigger problem with C-PAC as we libertarians see it, is the increasing infiltration of the event by Islamists and Islamist-sympathizers like C-PAC board members Grover Norquist and Abdul Khan. These dovish non-interventionists are increasingly pushing a soft on Radical Islam agenda, and pushing off libertarian speakers like Pamela Geller to the side. Of course, the liberal media won't cover that angle, cause it doesn't fit the template. Yes, we libertarians are upset with social conservatives who want to ban gays. But we're even more upset with the increasing social conservative/Islamic fundamentalist alliance against advocates of individual liberty.

Posted By: Eric Dondero | January 22, 2011 at 09:19 AM

:o "we libertarians" :rolleyes:

trey4sports
01-22-2011, 08:09 PM
Is this Dondero serious? He's a interventionist libertarian? Wait... that's an oxymoron

RonPaulFanInGA
01-22-2011, 08:11 PM
Is this Dondero serious? He's a interventionist libertarian? Wait... that's an oxymoron

Donderooooo was the "Libertarian for Rudy Giuliani" in 2007 if you'll recall...

ItsTime
01-22-2011, 08:16 PM
They saw the writing on the wall that Ron Paul may very well win the straw poll so they are trying to discredit the whole event.

trey4sports
01-22-2011, 08:24 PM
Donderooooo was the "Libertarian for Rudy Giuliani" in 2007 if you'll recall...

This guy is a total fucking hack.... I just googled him and read some of his blog posts, this guy really is a fucking tool.

Thomas
01-22-2011, 09:01 PM
Jim has been a real disappointment since the general election ended...

speciallyblend
01-22-2011, 10:13 PM
jim demint showing his true gop establishment colors!!

pacelli
01-23-2011, 11:31 AM
Donnnnnderios comment seems just *slightly* xenophobic. Holy halal !!

ronpaulhawaii
01-23-2011, 11:34 AM
Donnnnnderios comment seems just *slightly* xenophobic. Holy halal !!

Clowns like that make it easier for me to identify as a Republican...

Cowlesy
01-23-2011, 11:35 AM
Clowns like that make it easier for me to identify as a Republican...

hahahaha, TRUTH!

HOLLYWOOD
01-23-2011, 12:25 PM
This guy is a total fucking hack.... I just googled him and read some of his blog posts, this guy really is a fucking tool.
Of Course... would you expect anything else from these insiders and hypocrites.

All the political agendas are to sensitize or desensitization depending on where THEY, or in Dondero's case, wants to steer the votes/support/propaganda.

It's the same with all of these establishment communications hacks... Frum, Krystol, Dandero, etc...

LibertyEagle
01-23-2011, 12:51 PM
I don't hold it against DeMint for refusing to attend. Why is it necessary for this organization, GoProud, to tout what they do in the bedroom at a political event? Our country has fallen off a cliff and they feel the most important thing is to force their sexuality in front of everyone's faces? I'm glad they are proud and all, but who in hell cares?

Seriously.

surf
01-23-2011, 01:02 PM
there is no interventionist wing to the LP. fuck donderooo

Southron
01-23-2011, 01:26 PM
Whatever happened to fighting for what you believe in? The moment someone you disagree with shows up you run away?

I'm not sure of DeMint's reasons for not attending, and he is one of my favorite senators... but to all the groups boycotting - stand up for what you believe in already. That's what we're doing.

I agree with you completely.

When you boycott the conservative event of the year, you are losing your voice in the realm of ideas.

tangent4ronpaul
01-23-2011, 01:35 PM

He and Paul have a history. He used to work for Paul, they had a falling out. He was fired. He's been attacking Paul (and even ran against him) ever since.

-t

tangent4ronpaul
01-23-2011, 01:40 PM
I don't hold it against DeMint for refusing to attend. Why is it necessary for this organization, GoProud, to tout what they do in the bedroom at a political event? Our country has fallen off a cliff and they feel the most important thing is to force their sexuality in front of everyone's faces? I'm glad they are proud and all, but who in hell cares?

Seriously.

I hate their "in your face" flaunting of their sexual preferences as much as you do, but at the same time, they are a fairly significant voting block that has always belonged to the left. Making them welcome could pay off big.

What I really like about this situation is that by not showing up, DeMint is going to loose votes. Lets hope others follow in his lead. The big question is if we will get any of them. It could cut eithor way.

-t

RonPaulFanInGA
01-23-2011, 01:51 PM
He's been attacking Paul (and even ran against him) ever since.

Well, no. Eric Dondero never ran against Ron Paul. Dondero said he would after that Paul-Rudy Giuliani spat in the South Carolina GOP debate on May 15, 2007; but Dondero predictably chickened out. Which is a pity because his whole screed on RedState was about how Paul only won in 1996 because of him and how damn much he knows TX-14 and he "WILL defeat" Paul. After such a laughable rant, Dondero knew he couldn't run because he would inevitably get crushed by Paul. Coward.

tangent4ronpaul
01-23-2011, 01:58 PM
Well, no. Eric Dondero never ran against Ron Paul. Dondero said he would after that Paul-Rudy Giuliani spat in the South Carolina GOP debate on May 15, 2007; but Dondero predictably chickened out. Which is a pity because his whole screed on RedState was about how Paul only won in 1996 because of him and how damn much he knows TX-14 and he "WILL defeat" Paul. After such a laughable rant, Dondero knew he couldn't run because he would inevitably get crushed by Paul. Coward.

I stand corrected - I thought he had actually thrown his hat in the ring, not just said he was going to.

-t

Brett85
01-23-2011, 02:42 PM

Seriously.

+rep.

Brett85
01-23-2011, 02:44 PM
I hate their "in your face" flaunting of their sexual preferences as much as you do, but at the same time, they are a fairly significant voting block that has always belonged to the left. Making them welcome could pay off big.

What I really like about this situation is that by not showing up, DeMint is going to loose votes. Lets hope others follow in his lead. The big question is if we will get any of them. It could cut eithor way.

-t

They're a "fairly significant" voting block that might account for 3% of the population. What group is CPAC going to invite next year? NARAL pro choice America?

specsaregood
01-23-2011, 03:04 PM
They're a "fairly significant" voting block that might account for 3% of the population. What group is CPAC going to invite next year? NARAL pro choice America?

I think the "voting block" includes those who have family members that are gay, friends that are gay, co-workers that are gay or just think homosexuality isn't something that should be held against somebody for discriminatory purposes. That is a bit more than 3%, and includes many young people that don't think it is an important issue.

Is GOProud going to CPAC in order to promote homosexuality? Or going in order to promote the idea that Gays can agree with us on a great many issues? I think it is the latter.

Sola_Fide
01-23-2011, 03:16 PM

Seriously.

+100000000000000000000000

If people want to admit it or not, there IS a gay mafia in this country that does not speak for liberty, but government endorsement of the gay lifestyle.

The vast majority of gays have a conception of government like many Christians sadly do: the conception that we must use government to enforce a certain morality.

I do not want to be associated with gays who want a government endorsement of homosexuality. If gays want to fight to end government itself, then I will be in the fight with them. I don't want to be associated with gays who want equal time in public schools to teach tolerance, rather I want gays to be true libertarians and fight to end public schools altogether.

specsaregood
01-23-2011, 03:26 PM
If people want to admit it or not, there IS a gay mafia in this country that does not speak for liberty, but government endorsement of the gay lifestyle.
The vast majority of gays have a conception of government like many Christians sadly do: the conception that we must use government to enforce a certain morality.
I do not want to be associated with gays who want a government endorsement of homosexuality. If gays want to fight to end government itself, then I will be in the fight with them. I don't want to be associated with gays who want equal time in public schools to teach tolerance, rather I want gays to be true libertarians and fight to end public schools altogether.

Most Gays I know just want to be left alone.
Here are the legislative priorities that have these people's panties in a bunch:
http://www.goproud.org.php5-12.dfw1-2.websitetestlink.com/federal-legislative-priorities/

GOProud’s Conservative Agenda
The so-called “gay agenda” is defined by the left through a narrow prism of legislative goals. In contrast to the approach of the left, GOProud’s agenda emphasizes conservative and libertarian principles that will improve the daily lives of all Americans, but especially gay and lesbian Americans.

1 – TAX REFORM - We support replacing the current tax code with the Fair Tax. Until then, we support death tax repeal; domestic partner tax equity; cuts in the capital gains and corporate tax rates to jump start our economy and create jobs; a fairer, flatter and substantially simpler tax code.

2 – HEALTHCARE REFORM – Free market healthcare reform. Allow for the purchase of insurance across state lines – expanding access to domestic partner benefits; emphasizing individual ownership of healthcare insurance – such a shift would prevent discriminatory practices by an employer or the government.

3 – SOCIAL SECURITY REFORM - The only way to permanent solvency in the Social Security system is through the creation of inheritable personal savings accounts. Personal savings accounts would give gay and lesbian couples the same opportunity to leave their accounts to their spouses as their straight counterparts.

4 - RESPECTING THE PROPER ROLE OF THE JUDICIARY - We believe our Constitution should be respected and that judges appointed to the federal bench should recognize the proper and appropriate role of the judiciary as laid out by our Founding Fathers.

5 – HOLDING THE LINE ON SPENDING – Standing up for all tax payers against wasteful and unneccessary spending to protect future generations from the mounting federal debt.

6 – FIGHTING GLOBAL EXTREMISTS – Standing strong against radical regimes that refuse to recognize the basic human rights of gays and lesbians, women and religious minorities.

7 – DEFENDING OUR CONSTITUTION – Opposing any anti-gay federal marriage amendment. Marriage should be a question for the states. A federal constitutional amendment on marriage would be an unprecedented federal power grab from the states.

8 – ENCOURAGING COMMUNITY ENTREPRENEURSHIP – Package of free market reforms to encourage and support small businesses and entrepreneurship. Such reforms would create jobs for all Americans – including gay Americans.

9 – REVITALIZING OUR COMMUNITIES – A package of urban related reforms; expanding historic tax preservation credits; support for school choice.

10 – DEFENDING OUR COMMUNITY – Protecting 2nd amendment rights.

For the most part they sound ok to me -- depending on the scope of #6 -- And I wouldn't hesitate to work with them. they sound like they should fit in with CPAC to me.
It just goes to show you that limited government offers the best hope of making the most people gay happy.

Feeding the Abscess
01-23-2011, 03:34 PM
This is intentionally inflammatory:

Fuck 'em.

Also, who cares if someone is gay? GOProud isn't showing up in fairy costumes. The reason they need to be vocal at a conservative event is because many conservatives are conditioned to believe homosexuals are all communists.

Sola_Fide
01-23-2011, 03:53 PM
This is intentionally inflammatory:

Fuck 'em.

Also, who cares if someone is gay? GOProud isn't showing up in fairy costumes. The reason they need to be vocal at a conservative event is because many conservatives are conditioned to believe homosexuals are all communists.

Most homosexuals and homosexual groups HAVE been Statists. There is nothing wrong with a perception that is actually true.

Specsaregood, thanks for posting that. It seems like Goproud are sticking with the fiscal issues, which is smart.

Brett85
01-23-2011, 04:15 PM
Is GOProud going to CPAC in order to promote homosexuality? Or going in order to promote the idea that Gays can agree with us on a great many issues? I think it is the latter.

Well if the latter is true then I don't have any problem with them being there. I just don't think that the GOP should start supporting government sponsored gay marriage, hate crimes legislation, federal civil rights laws for gays, etc.

erowe1
01-23-2011, 04:39 PM
With the way most people see "libertarian" as a cypher for social liberal, you just know RP is going to get asked about this controversy by people trying to bait him into saying something pro-gay agenda, especially if he wins the straw poll. I just hope he's careful about what he says, especially after his vote to repeal DADT.

muzzled dogg
01-23-2011, 04:48 PM
i kinda wanna wear a turban to this just to mess with the neocons

anaconda
01-23-2011, 05:25 PM
They saw the writing on the wall that Ron Paul may very well win the straw poll so they are trying to discredit the whole event.

Wouldn't DeMint's "Tea Party" status grow if Ron Paul won CPAC this year? Regardless of his actual agenda? I would think it would indirectly make him more powerful politically.

Matt Collins
01-23-2011, 11:01 PM
When you boycott the conservative event of the year, you are losing your voice in the realm of ideas.Thread Winner!!!

amy31416
01-23-2011, 11:16 PM
Most homosexuals and homosexual groups HAVE been Statists. There is nothing wrong with a perception that is actually true.

Most white European men have been statists, most Asians, most Hispanics, most women, most CONSERVATIVES, most liberals, most brunettes, most blondes, most Christians, most atheists, most every damned group I can think of but true conservatives, classic liberals and libertarians.

If it was a group of Catholics touting abstinence and the rhythm method, betcha wouldn't have a problem with it, despite the fact that it's still a little glimpse into their bedroom activities.

Why don't you actually go to CPAC and get to know them, rather than condemn them based on some assumption that they'll be broadcasting their sexual preferences in great detail? I bet you'd be very disappointed...I've actually known a couple of gay conservatives, and they were not at all like what you think.

Making homosexuality a taboo in the conservative party will only get you more Larry Craig's. It's people being honest about who they are, and possibly wanting to be able to be in public with the person they love. It's seriously so ridiculous to me that many of you think that some disco-driven orgy is going to break out or something.

Anti Federalist
01-23-2011, 11:18 PM

Yup, that.

Wait for the demeaning headlines...

specsaregood
01-23-2011, 11:22 PM
Making homosexuality a taboo in the conservative party will only get you more Larry Craig's. It's people being honest about who they are, and possibly wanting to be able to be in public with the person they love. It's seriously so ridiculous to me that many of you think that some disco-driven orgy is going to break out or something.

It is all a big scam anyways, to trick the social conservatives. I mean the ex-RNC chairman was a gay man. The same guy that was Bush's campaign chairman and the whole Bush team knew. If there is a "gay agenda", then they need to look within their own neocon ranks, not the people trying to be honest about themsevles.

6079smithW
01-23-2011, 11:43 PM
i kinda wanna wear a turban to this just to mess with the neocons

a beard too.

skyorbit
01-24-2011, 12:31 AM
Isn't this good news for us? Doesn't it mean the social conservative/moral majority types won't show? Making it more likely for Ron Paul to win, and less likely for tea party wannabes to?

TRacy

sailingaway
01-24-2011, 09:10 AM
Isn't this good news for us? Doesn't it mean the social conservative/moral majority types won't show? Making it more likely for Ron Paul to win, and less likely for tea party wannabes to?

TRacy

Mitt's employees will show.

erowe1
01-24-2011, 09:19 AM

TRacy

Demint and those like him are closer to RP than they typical socially liberal Republican is. We may be able to win CPAC without them, but we really need to court them for votes in the primaries. They're the closest allies we have in the GOP.

TonySutton
01-24-2011, 09:30 AM
Most vocal homosexuals and homosexual groups HAVE been Statists. There is nothing wrong with a perception that is actually true.

Bold mine

There I fixed it for you.

You are right in using the word perception. The perception you have is from watching news of gay pride parades. There are lots of non-vocal gays out there. You do not see them because they do not act any differently than you or your neighbors. Heck, they might be your neighbors.

Inflation
01-24-2011, 11:20 PM

Go away Dondero. Go away DeMint. And please take the 'OMG Teh Gaze' fundies with you.

Start your own party with them. You can call it The Hater Party.

Everyone that hates Teh Gaze and Teh Izlomics can join. You can throw your own annual hootenanny, called HatePAC, and drink hater-ade together.

Leave CPAC and the GOP to Ron Paul, Michelle Bachmann, and the rest of us lovers of humanity and freedom.

HazyHusky420
01-24-2011, 11:23 PM

I think it's mostly personal. Ron fired him for bad hygiene and laziness.

HazyHusky420
01-24-2011, 11:26 PM

So you're opposed to Outright Libertarians (the LP gay caucus) having anything to do with CPAC?

low preference guy
01-24-2011, 11:27 PM

Aren't most heterosexuals also statists?

HazyHusky420
01-24-2011, 11:28 PM

I'm gay and I laugh when people speak of this "gay agenda". I can't find a copy anywhere! Can someone please show me where to get a copy of the gay agenda? Straight people seem to have it.

Kludge
01-24-2011, 11:37 PM
Bold mine

There I fixed it for you.

You are right in using the word perception. The perception you have is from watching news of gay pride parades. There are lots of non-vocal gays out there. You do not see them because they do not act any differently than you or your neighbors. Heck, they might be your neighbors.

How am I supposed to form a positive opinion on gays if the only gays I know of are those with 10 body piercings, ridiculous tatoos, almost no clothes, and post "the only instrument I know how to play is the organ" on their online profile next to a wall of half-naked men? I actually went to the house of the latter fellow because we contacted him about picking up a piece of furniture and he seemed completely normal when we were in-person (except he said "it's cold out here" about 4 times in 5 minutes and kept muttering...).

It's a pretty shitty situation for the gay collective to be in because if you aren't vocal, far fewer people will know you're gay.

It's kind of like the stereotype of how all every stoner talks about is weed because the stoners they know DO only talk about weed which is why you know the person is a stoner. If the person didn't talk about weed, you probably wouldn't know he's a stoner. I'm sure there's some type of fancy theory/law for this.

StilesBC
01-24-2011, 11:41 PM
I'm gay and I laugh when people speak of this "gay agenda". I can't find a copy anywhere! Can someone please show me where to get a copy of the gay agenda? Straight people seem to have it.

It's right next to the atheist agenda to kill all religious people that won't consent to abortion...

HazyHusky420
01-24-2011, 11:51 PM
It's right next to the atheist agenda to kill all religious people that won't consent to abortion...

Can't find a copy of that either.

How can you accuse an entire group of people of having an agenda when most don't even know where or what the damn thing is? I'm just a pot smoking retro gamer I didn't ask for this!

StilesBC
01-25-2011, 12:25 AM
Don't sweat it dude. Common strategy for paranoid schizophrenics to label something they don't understand as Extremely Dangerous. Islamophobia, homophobia, racism, and the anti-capitalist mentality are all branches off the same authoritarian tree. They use the same scare tactics to justify legislation of their own subjective moral values upon others.

Ignore these people. It's more fun watching them scream in terror when they know you don't care what they think.

Sola_Fide
01-25-2011, 12:27 AM
I didn't say anything about a gay agenda. I simply said that most gays and gay groups (who have asserted themselves politically) have been on the left-authoritarian side of the political spectrum. You can play moral-equivalency police all you want with that statement, but I stand by it, and I think you know I'm right.

It is great to see GOProud's libertarian principles, partly because it is not what you ordinarily see from a gay political action group. By the way, I am focusing so much on the fact that they are gay because they are focusing so much on the fact that they are gay:).

Like Chuck Baldwin says, I will fight with anyone who stands for liberty, and fight against anyone who stands against liberty. GOProud's statements are something I can agree with...in fact, they didn't even have to tell me they are gay for me to understand these principles.

Gayness doesn't have anything to do with private saving accounts or non-interventionism.

Kludge
01-25-2011, 12:31 AM
I'd guess GoProud is more interested in opening other gays up to listening to conservative ideals than it is about promoting gayness in conservatives.

Kludge
01-25-2011, 12:32 AM
Forum lag...

low preference guy
01-25-2011, 12:55 AM
I didn't say anything about a gay agenda. I simply said that most gays and gay groups (who have asserted themselves politically) have been on the left-authoritarian side of the political spectrum. You can play moral-equivalency police all you want with that statement, but I stand by it, and I think you know I'm right.

You're right on something that is irrelevant to the discussion.

You're right in that most gays who have asserted themselves politically have been statists. Most heterosexuals who asserted themselves politically have also been statists. How are those two pieces of information relevant?

I can also say "I stand by my statement that water is wet. I stand by it, and I think you know I'm right". How relevant is that?

And how is what most gay groups or individuals do relevant to judging one particular gay group, particularly one that has taken specific actions in the past, so you have material to judge them?

I know nothing about GOProud and I don't say their influence is positive or negative. But judging them one way or another based on of what group of people they belong to is absolutely ridiculous. And if you're not going to judge them based on that, then why bring it up? How is it relevant?

AquaBuddha, you often ask me why I neg rep you so much. It's because of posts like the one I'm quoting. You make no sense.

Sola_Fide
01-25-2011, 01:21 AM
I'd guess GoProud is more interested in opening other gays up to listening to conservative ideals than it is about promoting gayness in conservatives.

Yes, I agree.

Feeding the Abscess
01-25-2011, 01:22 AM

Which is exactly why they're there. They're there to say "hey, we're Republicans, too," not wear fairy costumes.

Also, as has been stated by others, most people have been supporters of Leviathan.

Not being argumentative

Sola_Fide
01-25-2011, 01:30 AM
LPG,

You shouldn't just selectively quote my posts. There is more to what I said than that.

....and thanks for the neg rep again!

Sola_Fide
01-25-2011, 01:37 AM
Delete

Sola_Fide
01-25-2011, 01:46 AM
I know nothing about GOProud and I don't say their influence is positive or negative. But judging them one way or another based on of what group of people they belong to is absolutely ridiculous. And if you're not going to judge them based on that, then why bring it up? How is it relevant?.

Go back and read my post. I made the point that it is NOT relevant at all that they are homosexuals. In fact, the only way I can distinguish their statement from any other libertarian group is that THEY emphasized that they were gay and proud at the outset.

You understand, right?

low preference guy
01-25-2011, 02:39 AM
LPG,

You shouldn't just selectively quote my posts. There is more to what I said than that.

....and thanks for the neg rep again!

the one time I didn't neg rep you...

I read your entire post and the context. A poster before you said that GOP people often acted negatively towards gays because they had the perception that most gays were communists. And you said: but that is true!, failing to see that it's irrelevant, because if that justified conservatives to reject gays, they should also reject non-gays using the same criteria.

The part I'm referring to:

There is nothing wrong with a perception that is actually true.

But the poster you were responding to didn't say the perception was wrong. He said that what was wrong was the reaction to the perception. So I can only think of two possible ways to interpret your post:

1. You decided to introduce a post irrelevant to his point. That's illogical
2. You justified the negative reaction of the GOP people towards homosexuals because the perception was true.

Please enlighten if there is a third possible interpretation.

Sola_Fide
01-25-2011, 02:55 AM

It is great to see GOProud's libertarian principles, partly because it is not what you ordinarily see from a gay political action group. By the way, I am focusing so much on the fact that they are gay because they are focusing so much on the fact that they are gay:).

Like Chuck Baldwin says, I will fight with anyone who stands for liberty, and fight against anyone who stands against liberty. GOProud's statements are something I can agree with...in fact, they didn't even have to tell me they are gay for me to understand these principles.

Gayness doesn't have anything to do with private saving accounts or non-interventionism.

LPG,

That^^^ is my entire post. You only selectively quoted the first paragraph.

If you can tell me what gayness has to do with private savings accounts or non-interventionism, let me know? If there is something that I should know about how two men engage in sexual relations with each other that informs their view of economics, please enlighten me. Is there a gay just war theory out there?:)

low preference guy
01-25-2011, 11:28 AM
i was talking about an issue regarding your previous post, and the only part relevant to that issue was the first paragraph of the post you're quoting. you ignored my question completely.

Matt Collins
01-25-2011, 02:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peh0JWvXNbI