PDA

View Full Version : Are you a slacktivist?

MN Patriot
01-22-2011, 06:25 PM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/jan/22/social-networking-cyber-scepticism-twitter

Another strand of thought in the field of cyber-scepticism is found in The Net Delusion, by Evgeny Morozov. He argues that social media has bred a generation of "slacktivists". It has made people lazy and enshrined the illusion that clicking a mouse is a form of activism equal to real world donations of money and time.

Vessol
01-22-2011, 06:38 PM
I do both, I've donated money and I'm going to CPAC 2011 :).

As for the criticism of the first one. What's wrong with debating online and learning more about liberty? I think that personal education and the advancement of one's own field of study by either direct research or through debate and discussion is absolutely VITAL to the movement.

I'd HATE to see our movement just be one of those activist, donate money, but never actually think or talk about the issues.

DamianTV
01-22-2011, 07:10 PM
People probably dont talk as much as we do in real life, now, or in the pre-interweb days.

speciallyblend
01-22-2011, 07:34 PM
both

NewRightLibertarian
01-22-2011, 08:42 PM
As long as you can get messages out with the click of a button with freedom and a large audience, I don't consider that 'slacktivism'. Sounds like a bullshit word some scumbag author or academic made up to marginalize people.

MN Patriot
01-22-2011, 08:56 PM
As long as you can get messages out with the click of a button with freedom and a large audience, I don't consider that 'slacktivism'. Sounds like a bullshit word some scumbag author or academic made up to marginalize people.

I tend to agree, being able to discuss/argue with people about liberty to a large worldwide audience is probably good for our cause.

From the link above:

"A behaviour that has become typical may still express the problems that once caused us to see it as pathological," MIT professor Sherry Turkle writes in her new book, Alone Together, which is leading an attack on the information age.

Turkle's thesis is simple: technology is threatening to dominate our lives and make us less human. Under the illusion of allowing us to communicate better, it is actually isolating us from real human interactions in a cyber-reality that is a poor imitation of the real world.

Someone has always been arguing that technology makes us less human. Electricity, telephones, television, industrialism have all made us less human. Since we are now less human, let the carnage begin.

Seraphim
01-22-2011, 09:05 PM
I try to contribute to fighting that. You'd be surprised how many people, in the hearts of their hearts believe in the stuff we believe. The problem is that the PARTISAN nonsense is so bred into them, you need to logic and love your way into agreement.

Some people are hopelessly and emotionally attched to mindsights that are propagandized into them...but A LOT of people feel what we feel. If you attack the "party" mentality they hold, you will lose them. If you talk to them about how the value of their labor is the most important thing to their success and that GOVT taxation is a direct hit to their happiness, prosperity and liberty...it opens the door to realizing they are being conned. Things like that will make them realize that GOVT welfare programs are not needed and are COUNTER PRODUCTIVE...and that for 25% of their taxation levels, private charity can and will eradicate hunger and suffering.

People probably dont talk as much as we do in real life, now, or in the pre-interweb days.