PDA

View Full Version : USA Today: Ron Paul keeps eye on 2012 White House bid

sailingaway
01-21-2011, 08:18 PM
http://i.usatoday.net/communitymanager/_photos/the-oval/2011/01/21/ronpaul-121x-inset-community.jpg

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/onpolitics/post/2011/01/ron-paul-president-2012-/1

JoshLowry
01-21-2011, 08:25 PM
You know what, the media desperately wants Ron Paul to run.

Let them keep building him up so that he will run. Announce just before the deadline to be included in the 1st national debate.

Their ad revenue would probably increase by 20% if Ron Paul is in the news cycle for the presidency over the next 18 months.

We are a very large group of independents that rarely watches television or visits MSM websites.

Ron could use this to his advantage. The MSM should be begging him to run, because he might not.

sailingaway
01-21-2011, 08:27 PM
I don't think he should miss any debates, but that still gives him a few months. He's already been invited to CPAC and that Iowa thing, right? And you are right, the media also wants to split conservatives because it worked so well last time. They want him to run.

JK/SEA
01-21-2011, 08:30 PM

Let them keep building him up so that he will run. Announce just before the deadline to be included in the 1st national debate.

Their ad revenue would probably increase by 20% if Ron Paul is in the news cycle for the presidency over the next 18 months.

We are a very large group of independents that rarely watches television or visits MSM websites.

Ron could use this to his advantage. The MSM should be begging him to run, because he might not.

Just the sheer anticipation of Ron running has lots of folks salivating over this, and i agree, Ron should keep teasing everyone, and hold off as long as he can.... We need to be ready for one hell of an online fundraiser. Strike that...WE MUST BE READY!

JoshLowry
01-21-2011, 08:32 PM
Ron won't need a fundraising director, that would be a shame if the campaign decides it needs one.

It would also be great to tell the news interviewers about during interviews.

specsaregood
01-21-2011, 09:11 PM
Ron won't need a fundraising director, that would be a shame if the campaign decides it needs one.
It would also be great to tell the news interviewers about during interviews.

No, but what he needs is a top notch hollywood team. Think: Ari gold

ctiger2
01-21-2011, 09:33 PM
I just watched Stefan and Charlie for 1hr and I can't remember exactly when Stefan mentioned it, I think it was within the first 20min or so. Stefan said the worst thing that could happen for libertarianism would be for a libertarian to come to power and then the system collapse as the state would be able to frame the collapse around that persons neck. Ron's nowhere near to becoming president at this point. But, if he were to somehow win, it's exactly what the state would try to do to him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zao1_YBRggI

sailingaway
01-21-2011, 09:38 PM
I just watched Stefan and Charlie for 1hr and I can't remember exactly when Stefan mentioned it, I think it was within the first 20min or so. Stefan said the worst thing that could happen for libertarianism would be for a libertarian to come to power and then the system collapse as the state would be able to frame the collapse around that persons neck. Ron's nowhere near to becoming president at this point. But, if he were to somehow win, it's exactly what the state would try to do to him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zao1_YBRggI

And yet that would be when the country needed him most.

Thane Eichenauer
01-21-2011, 09:43 PM

It wasn't true in the 2008 election cycle and it isn't true today.

JoshLowry
01-21-2011, 09:51 PM
It wasn't true in the 2008 election cycle and it isn't true today.

The media cares more about money than the message.

They will carry the banner of righteousness when their pseudo team is not the majority. So really this is the perfect time for him to run. Last time the 40% on the left as well as a majority of swing voters were mad as hell at 8 years of Bush and the neocons.

sailingaway
01-21-2011, 09:53 PM
I disagree, the media cares more about money than the message.

They will carry the banner of righteousness when their pseudo team is not the majority. So really this is the perfect time for him to run. Last time the 40% on the left as well as a majority of swing voters were mad as hell at 8 years of Bush and the neocons.

The media was neutral and 'intrigued' by Rand right to the moment he won the primary. Then, WHAM. They want his story, and his effect on the primary, for the same reason they are pushing Pawlenty. They think the more candidates, the more split and fractured the GOP. I don't think any of us trust them to be 'fair', overall.

JoshLowry
01-21-2011, 09:55 PM
The media was neutral and 'intrigued' by Rand right to the moment he won the primary. Then, WHAM. They want his story, and his effect on the primary. I don't think any of us trust them to be 'fair', overall.

Oh, I agree, they will blackball the hell out of Dr. Paul all over again. But they will butter his bread with good press until he announces.

They just want him in the ring so they can beat up on him in front of his supporters while making advertising dollars.

sailingaway
01-21-2011, 10:01 PM
Oh, I agree, they will blackball the hell out of Dr. Paul all over again. But they will butter his bread with good press until he announces.

They just want him in the ring so they can beat up on him in front of his supporters while making advertising dollars.

Gee, I can't imagine why he doesn't sound more enthusiastic about running....

ctiger2
01-21-2011, 10:47 PM
And yet that would be when the country needed him most.

I'm not saying he shouldn't do it. Just beware.

rich34
01-22-2011, 07:39 AM
The MSM should be begging him to run, because he might not.

:eek:
Not to be vulgar or anything, but wow, that statement just made me lose my hard on for hoping that real change is on the way... I'm not even going to listen to the Jones interview, gonna try and keep the faith..:(

Aratus
01-22-2011, 11:26 AM
2012 could pace like 2010. ron paul should run and built up an organization in triplicate
with the ten times the reach he had in 2008. i see things in terms of a dry run and then
a carrying through in terms of getting a message out to the voters. the public at large is
open to the idea of no earmarks or budgetary bloat even if they think barack obama a
nice guy. jerry brown of all people said he'd budget tightly for one stark california year
rather than having an unsurmountable debt linger like huge boulder for 3 or 4 years. i feel
the time is ripe for ron paul's message to be agreed to by a sizable number of our voters.

Matt Collins
01-22-2011, 12:01 PM
Ron won't need a fundraising director, that would be a shame if the campaign decides it needs one.Well they need someone to head that up. Not someone to actually raise funds, but someone to direct what on-the-ground exclusive fundrasing events take place.

Matt Collins
01-22-2011, 12:02 PM

They just want him in the ring so they can beat up on him in front of his supporters while making advertising dollars.Yeah but it'll be MUCH harder for them to do that this time. One thing is for sure, they can't ignore him this time around because they have given him so much credibility in the last 2 years.

sailingaway
01-22-2011, 12:22 PM
Well they need someone to head that up. Not someone to actually raise funds, but someone to direct what on-the-ground exclusive fundrasing events take place.

No one directs grassroots fundraising. They can suggest.

georgiaboy
01-22-2011, 12:37 PM
Yeah but it'll be MUCH harder for them to do that this time. One thing is for sure, they can't ignore him this time around because they have given him so much credibility in the last 2 years.

My cynical side says much of his presence in the media these last two years was to get enough damaging sound bytes out there to marginalize him for any possible next run at the White House. This of course has failed epically because Ron is just so amazingly consistent, and everything he's been saying is happening all around us now.

The best sound byte we have for this cycle is "I told you so".

FSP-Rebel
01-22-2011, 12:49 PM
No, but what he needs is a top notch hollywood team. Think: Ari gold

Agreed, ari is worth more than his weight in gold. But, he speaks before he thinks and treats women like crap. Still, he's a laugh riot.

Matt Collins
01-22-2011, 01:26 PM
No one directs grassroots fundraising. They can suggest.Absolutely. It'll be a free-for-all again as expected, but hopefully we'll be a bit more organized and regimented. But the campaign will still need a person to wrangle the high dollar fundraising events (I'm not talking about money bombs).

wormyguy
01-22-2011, 02:29 PM
Absolutely. It'll be a free-for-all again as expected, but hopefully we'll be a bit more organized and regimented. But the campaign will still need a person to wrangle the high dollar fundraising events (I'm not talking about money bombs).

The thing is that the high value donors (which pretty much are necessary) tend only to give to front-runners, and then only when they hope to get something from the candidate. I suppose Paul might be open to adjusting his priorities, but not his principles, which turns off a lot of the big-money donors. IIRC in 1964 Lyndon Johnson got something like 20 times the amount in corporate donations than Goldwater got.

sailingaway
01-22-2011, 03:38 PM
My cynical side says much of his presence in the media these last two years was to get enough damaging sound bytes out there to marginalize him for any possible next run at the White House. This of course has failed epically because Ron is just so amazingly consistent, and everything he's been saying is happening all around us now.

The best sound byte we have for this cycle is "I told you so".

Now there's a campaign slogan we haven't suggested yet:

Ron Paul 2012
He told you so!

No? :p

Matt Collins
01-22-2011, 05:50 PM
The thing is that the high value donors (which pretty much are necessary) tend only to give to front-runners, and then only when they hope to get something from the candidate. You must not have been paying attention during '08 and even Rand's campaign. A TON of people gave the maximum amount to both of their campaigns. I am here however talking about individual donors, not corporate / PACs, etc