PDA

View Full Version : Police Force/Brutality/Violence and Military Vets, correlation?

Lord Xar
01-21-2011, 07:09 PM
Has anyone known of any correlation between use of force by the police and whether or not they are military vets?

Just so I am clear, do police officers who are military vets have more of a predisposition to using force/brutality when in uniform?

Promontorium
01-21-2011, 08:08 PM
I'm a veteran, and I've done military law enforcement. I find the current corrupt police culture deplorable. But I'm just an individual, and you're looking for a good stereotype to cling to.

I wouldn't be surprised if corrupt people are attracted to the police more now, but veterans have always found it easy to become police, for many reasons (training, discipline, etc.).

This idea also assumes the police are generally good, and are only now being soured by a Post Traumatic Stressed out minority of vets. I wouldn't let off the system so easily. I think it is the top-down causing this, a desire by those on top to control the people through fear and intimidation. If it were primarily vets, you'd see the people on top denouncing, rather than encouraging these situations.

oyarde
01-21-2011, 08:10 PM
Has anyone known of any correlation between use of force by the police and whether or not they are military vets?

Just so I am clear, do police officers who are military vets have more of a predisposition to using force/brutality when in uniform?

I have never seen numbers . I doubt it though .The average Marine or soldier who would have actual combat experience are likely not to make up a large percentage of law enforcement . From my own personal experiences I will suggest that these combat vets , overall , would be more compassionate to general public , have better threat instincts and be less arrogant and anal than the avg law enforcement .

AFPVet
01-21-2011, 08:19 PM
I'm a veteran, and I've done military law enforcement. I find the current corrupt police culture deplorable. But I'm just an individual, and you're looking for a good stereotype to cling to.

I wouldn't be surprised if corrupt people are attracted to the police more now, but veterans have always found it easy to become police, for many reasons (training, discipline, etc.).

This idea also assumes the police are generally good, and are only now being soured by a Post Traumatic Stressed out minority of vets. I wouldn't let off the system so easily. I think it is the top-down causing this, a desire by those on top to control the people through fear and intimidation. If it were primarily vets, you'd see the people on top denouncing, rather than encouraging these situations.

Exactly.

JK/SEA
01-21-2011, 08:23 PM
My sister-in-law was a civilian board member in her city that interviewed and decided on potential candidates for becoming LEO's. She told me Military Veterans get 'extra' points over non Veterans towards getting the green light.

AFPVet
01-21-2011, 08:26 PM
While it is unlawful to discriminate against an honorably discharged veteran, the department is within their right to require a medical screening prior to employment in order to make sure the officer is 'fit' for duty. I think that most of these problems are due to non vet's who are juicing themselves.

__27__
01-21-2011, 11:50 PM
My sister-in-law was a civilian board member in her city that interviewed and decided on potential candidates for becoming LEO's. She told me Military Veterans get 'extra' points over non Veterans towards getting the green light.

It's called veterans preference points, and it's law for all government positions.

And for the record against this stereotype, I am a combat veteran and a former LEO. I left LE because I could no longer reconcile it with my personal views. I am now in private protective services and am able to sleep much better at night.

Anti Federalist
01-22-2011, 12:15 AM
It's called veterans preference points, and it's law for all government positions.

And for the record against this stereotype, I am a combat veteran and a former LEO. I left LE because I could no longer reconcile it with my personal views. I am now in private protective services and am able to sleep much better at night.

+rep

That what we need to see more of, people actually putting their principles ahead of a buck.

I've already told this story a couple of times, but it bears repeating: I did the same thing myself, turned down a lucrative salary with a government (Navy dept.) contractor because I would not have been able to live with myself every payday.

Knew another fellow that had 20 years in with an advanced marine electronics company. He quit when they were bought out by L3, for the same reasons.

pcosmar
01-22-2011, 06:34 AM

Authoritarians have a predisposition to using force. And also to seeking the uniform/badge to empower them.

The open "militarization" of police is the huge problem. They have become the Standing Army that the Founders warned of.

The rare man that actually wants to serve and protect is grossly outnumbered, and encumbered by present law and policy.

coastie
01-22-2011, 12:46 PM
From personal experience-I say yes.

My last unit had 2 former Marines, one of which I was on a LE team on. One of the kids was just quiet, really cool. He didn't talk about what he had seen/done there at all, although you could see it on his face. He did not, however, let this effect his demeanor with the public.

The other guy bragged about his combat experience on a near daily basis, and was just violent by nature it seemed. He was overly aggressive on boardings, sometime to the point I'd have to check his ass and send him back in the boat while I finished up the boarding. This kid never shook the combat mentality, and it showed.

This was just a small grain of sand in the giant ant pile of guilt and shame I felt during my last 3 years in the CG. I had insomnia and depression(and still do 6 months later) from what I have witnessed, both in seeing some pretty gory shit but mostly due to the absolute disconnect there is between LE and the citizens. When it came time to re-enlist, there was only one decision to be made, and that was to walk away.

As pcosmar just said..."The rare man that actually wants to serve and protect is grossly outnumbered, and encumbered by present law and policy. I tried to change it within, but might as well have been pissing into the wind-and marking myself.

+rep to you sir

ETA: Says I have to spread some more rep around again before giving it to you again. So I owe you one.:p