PDA

View Full Version : Am I being petty about this?

Anti Federalist
01-21-2011, 05:57 PM
The main hub of Continental/United airlines is Houston's G.H.W. Bush International Airport.

Work requires that I connect through that airport on a fairly regular basis.

Now, this policy only seems to be in place in Houston, at least I have not noticed it anywhere else.

And that policy is announcing preboarding, before anybody else, of active military in uniform.

This chaps my ass, since, not only am I paying for these uniformed state enforcers, but I am also paying a premium to fly a "legacy" carrier, flying quite a few times a year, paying for it out of my own pocket, and paying a premium for first class, which includes priority boarding.

Now, maybe this is being petty and small, but I can't help but get annoyed about this, since I'm paying full freight for all of it, but still being made sure that my Mundane status is rubbed in my face.

Am I being too self important here? :collins:

Or should I be justifiably pissed? :mad:

Vessol
01-21-2011, 06:01 PM
Shut up mundane and kiss the boots.

http://blog.cleveland.com/world_impact/2008/10/large_USArmy-boots-Afghanistan_Army_Meye.JPG

How dare you challenge such a great company simply honoring those who guarantee us freedom each and every day.

torchbearer
01-21-2011, 06:02 PM
You forget your place.
Mundanes are given their opinions, you are not allowed to have your own.

MelissaWV
01-21-2011, 06:04 PM
Active military are often traveling with a crapload of stuff, in my experience, including huge bags that become cumbersome if they board towards the end. It's really, really obnoxious. They are also not usually midgets or teeny folks, and they always seem to have the window seat :p

I doubt that's the reason for the policy, though.

I like boarding by "region" (back to front) with preboarding for people who need a lot of help getting on the plane. That makes the most damned sense, and prevents bottlenecks during boarding.

Anti Federalist
01-21-2011, 06:04 PM
Shut up mundane and kiss the boots.

http://blog.cleveland.com/world_impact/2008/10/large_USArmy-boots-Afghanistan_Army_Meye.JPG

How dare you challenge such a great company simply honoring those who guarantee us freedom each and every day.

You forget your place.
Mundanes are given their opinions, you are not allowed to have your own.

Thank you comrades, for talking me out of my crimethink!

I'll be reporting to MiniLuv shortly.

Cowlesy
01-21-2011, 06:05 PM
Enjoy the free booze on the flight home, AF!

Icymudpuppy
01-21-2011, 06:05 PM
Why would you want to be inside the tiny little tube with a bunch of sweaty sheeple any longer than absolutely necessary. Back before strip machines and gropings, I made a point of always being the last to board.

oyarde
01-21-2011, 06:06 PM
The main hub of Continental/United airlines is Houston's G.H.W. Bush International Airport.

Work requires that I connect through that airport on a fairly regular basis.

Now, this policy only seems to be in place in Houston, at least I have not noticed it anywhere else.

And that policy is announcing preboarding, before anybody else, of active military in uniform.

This chaps my ass, since, not only am I paying for these uniformed state enforcers, but I am also paying a premium to fly a "legacy" carrier, flying quite a few times a year, paying for it out of my own pocket, and paying a premium for first class, which includes priority boarding.

Now, maybe this is being petty and small, but I can't help but get annoyed about this, since I'm paying full freight for all of it, but still being made sure that my Mundane status is rubbed in my face.

Am I being too self important here? :collins:

Or should I be justifiably pissed? :mad:

I would not worry about it . I have never heard or seen anything like that , but very rarely use Continental or go through Houston , seems like down that a way I usually end up through San Antonio , Dallas and Memphis .

oyarde
01-21-2011, 06:07 PM
Why would you want to be inside the tiny little tube with a bunch of sweaty sheeple any longer than absolutely necessary. Back before strip machines and gropings, I made a point of always being the last to board.

I always did the same .

oyarde
01-21-2011, 06:08 PM
Thank you comrades, for talking me out of my crimethink!

I'll be reporting to MiniLuv shortly.

Ha , you are most welcome Comrade : )

JoshLowry
01-21-2011, 06:08 PM
Give me a heads up next time you fly through!

axiomata
01-21-2011, 06:09 PM
I never understood why people want to board first. Assuming you are not on the the last half dozen that might get their roll-on checked I prefer to minimize my time on the plane. Southwest is different because you don't have reserved seats.

One person I know in the military doesn't wear her uniform to the airport because she doesn't like the attention.

oyarde
01-21-2011, 06:12 PM
I never understood why people want to board first. Assuming you are not on the the last half dozen that might get their roll-on checked I prefer to minimize my time on the plane. Southwest is different because you don't have reserved seats.

One person I know in the military doesn't wear her uniform to the airport because she doesn't like the attention.

I never wore mine except departing overseas flights with orders , because it was required , sometimes , then I changed .

oyarde
01-21-2011, 06:13 PM
And that was a long time ago .

Anti Federalist
01-21-2011, 06:19 PM

For a number of reasons, but for me, here is the primary reason:

I do not check bags, everything I take with me goes carry on, including a backpack containing a number of vital documents and other vital stuff.

Boarding late or last, will almost guarantee that your carry on items will have to get checked and that backpack I mentioned will get stuck in the three inches of legroom under the seat in front of me.

And bags checked at the last minute will get lost.

Anti Federalist
01-21-2011, 06:22 PM
Enjoy the free booze on the flight home, AF!

Already did!

Wish they'd carry Ketel One...I'd be hammered by the first hour.:D

Give me a heads up next time you fly through!

Will do, it'll be a couple of weeks.

MelissaWV
01-21-2011, 06:25 PM

I do not check bags, everything I take with me goes carry on, including a backpack containing a number of vital documents and other vital stuff.

Boarding late or last, will almost guarantee that your carry on items will have to get checked and that backpack I mentioned will get stuck in the three inches of legroom under the seat in front of me.

Indeed, not to mention that the stewardess... excuse me "gender neutral flight attendant helper customer service representative concierge"... will offer to place your bag about five rows behind you, meaning that when everyone stands up once you land (why do people do this? You really won't get out faster. Honest. There's not a magical door that will open in your row that allows you to bypass the dozen people in front of you.) you will have to swim upstream through an even sweatier, nastier herd of people to attempt to retrieve your important documents which, by now, have been slammed around by people getting their own carryons out of the bin five rows behind you.

Yeah. I tend to get on early, too; whenever my area is going to board, that's when I go. I don't have a hefty carryon, or much of anything, so I will find my seat and get out of the way and let the others deal with it.

oyarde
01-21-2011, 06:33 PM

I see , I always go the other way and check the bag .

kpfareal
01-21-2011, 06:52 PM
Yay collectivism!

Anti Federalist
01-21-2011, 07:02 PM
Yay collectivism!

Elaborate...

:confused:

Vessol
01-21-2011, 07:30 PM
Elaborate...

:confused:

He's saying that we're attacking soldiers and collectivizing them. (I think, I'm assuming so because he lists Ft. Bragg as his location so he is probably in the Army himself?)

Except that we're not, we're mocking the fact that airlines and other companies give them preferential treatment because they are soldiers and because the the perpetuated myth that they are "fighting for our freedom". If you don't believe that myth, you are bound to be attacked anywhere. I don't have anything personal against soldiers(though I question their logic and reasons for joining), however I find that perpetuated myth to be highly dangerous and annoying.

oyarde
01-21-2011, 07:34 PM
He's saying that we're attacking soldiers and collectivizing them. (I think, I'm assuming so because he lists Ft. Bragg as his location so he is probably in the Army himself?)

Except that we're not, we're mocking the fact that airlines and other companies give them preferential treatment because they are soldiers and because the the perpetuated myth that they are "fighting for our freedom". If you don't believe that myth, you are bound to be attacked anywhere. I don't have anything personal against soldiers(though I question their logic and reasons for joining), however I find that perpetuated myth to be highly dangerous and annoying.
I have no idea what he meant .

Anti Federalist
01-21-2011, 07:35 PM

Except that we're not, we're mocking the fact that airlines and other companies give them preferential treatment because they are soldiers and because the the perpetuated myth that they are "fighting for our freedom". If you don't believe that myth, you are bound to be attacked anywhere.

That's what I was thinking too, but I was hoping he would have replied himself to clarify things.

Danke
01-21-2011, 07:50 PM
Are you a frequent flyer? If so, then free upgrade to first class. If no first class available, then economy plus: 5" extra leg room. More than enough for your LARGE travel companion. Stop your whining, sailor boy. You're not sharing a berth.

Anti Federalist
01-21-2011, 08:01 PM
Are you a frequent flyer? If so, then free upgrade to first class. If no first class available, then economy plus: 5" extra leg room. More than enough for your LARGE travel companion. Stop your whining, sailor boy. You're not sharing a berth.

Silence!

If I waited around for a free elite upgrade, I'd still be in steerage with the likes of you.

ETA-I'm assuming you voted "yes". :collins:

muzzled dogg
01-21-2011, 08:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD42PQe2H5M

ffwd to 5:30

Danke
01-21-2011, 08:11 PM
If I waited around for a free elite upgrade, I'd still be in steerage with the likes of you.

You can sit in steerage next to me, just leave your companion behind.

P.S. I usually get the the exit row, for free, haha.

__27__
01-21-2011, 11:55 PM
If it were a government mandated program I'd say legitimate gripe, but it's a private company. They can board their plane whatever way they see fit, including forcing First Class to board last, if that's the way they want to run it. If you are unhappy with their policy, voice your concern with them. If you are unhappy with their response, cease your business with them. If you're unwilling to use your most powerful tool against a private company as a consumer, then it's really not that big of deal to you.

;)

low preference guy
01-22-2011, 12:03 AM
If it were a government mandated program I'd say legitimate gripe, but it's a private company

i think complaining about the prevailing cultural attitudes is fine, even if the government doesn't enforce them.

Danke
01-22-2011, 01:08 AM
If it were a government mandated program I'd say legitimate gripe, but it's a private company. They can board their plane whatever way they see fit, including forcing First Class to board last, if that's the way they want to run it. If you are unhappy with their policy, voice your concern with them. If you are unhappy with their response, cease your business with them. If you're unwilling to use your most powerful tool against a private company as a consumer, then it's really not that big of deal to you.

;)

Just serve him some Barnacles and have some fat belly dancers for the in flight entertainment and he'd be a regular.

Icymudpuppy
01-22-2011, 11:50 AM

I guess that makes sense. Personally, I always travel light. If I have enough stuff to need to check, I'd rather send it UPS or FedEx so at least it can be insured, and just meet it at my destination. Typically the only things I carry with me when travelling are my cell phone, a book, one change of clothes, and toiletries. Everything else can go UPS.

georgiaboy
01-22-2011, 12:30 PM
so wear a military uniform, and enjoy the better things.

MelissaWV
01-22-2011, 12:46 PM
Yay collectivism!

It wouldn't be "collectivist" to talk about senior citizens getting senior discounts; by definition they are eligible. AF is talking about military boarding an aircraft first, which by policy they are eligible to do. How that is collectivist is beyond me.

I gave a couple of reasons, but I think the reason this is being done in that particular situation is to "thank them for service." Frankly, that's ridiculous on various levels.

If you are going on the assumption that everyone wearing a military uniform has served (which is, by the way, collectivist), and so they deserve special thanks, then what of veterans? I mean, aren't there a whole lot of NON-UNIFORMED people out there who've actually served? If it is really about gratitude for service, wouldn't the pre-boarding be for veterans who can present military ID or proof of service? Why wouldn't the airlines provide, say, a check-box where you can say you are a veteran and present ID? Of course, will we allow foreign veterans to present ID and board? What's the definition? Is it only for people who are a part of the US Armed Forces? That's kind of rude, you know. What if there's a WWII veteran visiting from the UK or France? Shouldn't they get to pre-board?

When you start to think of it that way, the "honoring" and "thanking" goes out the window, because there are assumptions being made that are baseless. You are including very green recruits in this category and excluding veterans, sometimes of multiple wars, who deserve thanks and honoring.

The kicker is that if you asked that last category whether or not they wanted a "thank you" at every turn, they'd be pretty likely to tell you "no."

;)

To a certain extent, this is true, but please note that it is the airport and not the airline that seems to have the policy.

so wear a military uniform, and enjoy the better things.

It's against the law, though, so if you're already at an airport (where we know that common sense and rights are endangered species), it's probably not worth it. Much safer to just fake a limp and say you need to get on with all the new mommies and cripples.

There's also this for a bonus, in case you want to be more than a common military kiddo:

Under the Stolen Valor Act it is now a Federal Offense, punishable by up to $5,000 fine and six months in jail (double that if the offense involves valor awards or the Purple Heart), to claim VERBALLY or in WRITING, to have received any military award you did not.

Anti Federalist
01-22-2011, 01:58 PM
You know, while I'm on the subject...

Was sitting here with my son, watching "Crimson Tide" and came to the part where the Alabama was submerging at the start of their cruise.

How was it that the government appropriated "Eternal Father, Strong to Save" for themselves, exclusively?

For almost 80 years it was associated with a hymnal prayer for people like me, who sail the seas for commerce and industry, not for those who sail the seas to project government force and possibly incinerate people.

heavenlyboy34
01-22-2011, 02:12 PM
You know, while I'm on the subject...

Was sitting here with my son, watching "Crimson Tide" and came to the part where the Alabama was submerging at the start of their cruise.

How was it that the the government appropriated "Eternal Father, Strong to Save" for themselves, exclusively?

For almost 80 years it was associated with a hymnal prayer for people like me, who sail the seas for commerce and industry, not for those who sail the seas to project government force and possibly incinerate people.

Experience tells me that the regime will expropriate any old thing (cultural or otherwise) necessary to coerce and/or dupe/propagandize the masses. BTW, this is what the National Endowment For The Arts is for too. It's essentially part of the propaganda arm of the Regime.

starless
01-22-2011, 03:00 PM
I got 5 days at Disneyland for free because I am active duty military. Suck on that, mundanes!

acptulsa
01-22-2011, 03:12 PM
Are you being petty about this? No.

Thirty years ago Vietnam vets were spit upon, particularly by people who had gone to prison to protest the imperialism and the draft that sought to force us to take part. Then people realized that such behavior is not exactly just. Now tptb seem to want us to assume every member of the armed forces is motivated by the highest of ideals. They may get fooled by their bosses, but the always join for the right reasons. No one ever joined the Marines just because they wanted to kill someone.

And, no, never having joined no more makes one a second class citizen than being a veteran in plain clothes makes one second class to currently active servicepeople.

I got 5 days at Disneyland for free because I am active duty military. Suck on that, mundanes!

You earned the hell out of it. Enjoy!

driller80545
01-22-2011, 03:36 PM
This is in Houston? Next time as the military "heroes" are boarding holler-"Recuerdo San Jacinto" and rush on ahead. Let me know cause I want to be there to see it. LOL

Anti Federalist
01-22-2011, 03:46 PM
This is in Houston? Next time as the military "heroes" are boarding holler-"Recuerdo San Jacinto" and rush on ahead. Let me know cause I want to be there to see it. LOL

Farking ROFL.

Anti Federalist
01-22-2011, 03:47 PM
Experience tells me that the regime will expropriate any old thing (cultural or otherwise) necessary to coerce and/or dupe/propagandize the masses. BTW, this is what the National Endowment For The Arts is for too. It's essentially part of the propaganda arm of the Regime.

Good point.

Just as DARPA is used for the regime to get it's filthy mitts on cutting edge technology, first.

Golding
01-22-2011, 04:05 PM
Is it the airlines making this policy, or is it TSA?

Is it something broadly put in your face, or do you still have some choice to avoid that scenario with other airlines? If it's an airline's method of boarding, I don't exactly mind.

Danke
01-22-2011, 04:11 PM
Is it the airlines making this policy, or is it TSA?

Not the TSA. This sounds like local gate agents.

Anti Federalist
01-22-2011, 04:19 PM
Not the TSA. This sounds like local gate agents.

Yeah, it's the gate agents, has nothing to do with Thousands Standing Around.

steph3n
01-22-2011, 05:13 PM

I board first so I can get my drink on!

pcosmar
01-22-2011, 05:19 PM
A temporary annoyance.

Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all.

;)

Captain Shays
01-22-2011, 07:03 PM
I have no problem with military personnel getting first cut at boarding. I drive those guys to the Philly airport all the time and despite my disagreement with my government's foreign policy most of those soldiers are good guys doing what they think is best for their country and themselves. They sacrifice better pay elsewhere and time with their families and live under a lot of hardship so cut'em a break.

specsaregood
01-22-2011, 07:05 PM
There areworse things you could be.
http://blog.aarp.org/shaarpsession/richard%20petty.jpg