PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul Criticizes War From A Libertarian Angle

Agorism
01-21-2011, 04:45 PM
Ron Paul Criticizes War From A Libertarian Angle

http://irregulartimes.com/index.php/archives/2011/01/21/ron-paul-criticizes-war-from-a-libertarian-angle/#comments

Anti-war activism in the United States comes mostly from a liberal perspective, but as war in Afghanistan drags on, anti-war perspectives have come to include libertarians as well. Among the libertarians speaking out against war is U.S. Representative Ron Paul, who, speaking before Congress this week made a particularly libertarian accusation against war: It makes for big government.

“War always leads to government growth and the sacrifice of civil liberties. In the past 10 years, this has been particularly costly to us, with the acceptance of military tribunals, torture, assassinations, abuse of habeas corpus, and PATRIOT Act-type legislation. Senseless war and senseless destruction and death should not be rationalized as providing a great service in protecting our freedoms, our Constitution, or maintaining peace. The only value that can come of this is to recognize that our policies are flawed and they need to be changed.”

War makes big government? As a matter of fact, it does, and not without discrimination. War expands those very parts of the government most hostile to liberty: The military and national intelligence networks.

In the Republicans’ new economic package, it’s not accidental that not one single spending cut hits wasteful Pentagon pork barrel projects like the Marine EFV, or the bloated Department of Homeland Security. Republicans get special kicks out of big government surveillance and corporate welfare to war profiteers.

Thanks to Ron Paul for speaking out against war, and against anti-Constitution legislation like the Patriot Act. It’s not too late for Americans to be rid of the Patriot Act – the worst aspects of the surveillance legislation are supposed to expire a month from now. Call your U.S. Representative at (202) 224-3121 and ask for a vote against any Patriot Act renewal.

Vessol
01-21-2011, 04:55 PM
Come to include libertarians? Libertarians have always been against each and every war. Unlike the liberals, they just don't pick and choose based on the letter behind the name of the guy who's sitting behind the desk in the White House while the bombs are dropped.

Agorism
01-21-2011, 05:12 PM
Comments says that 9 outa 10 war opponents are liberals

Vessol
01-21-2011, 05:16 PM

You mean a commentators observation/opinion? I agree somewhat, we libertarians are great intellectuals and debaters, however we are not much for huge public gatherings and protests.

I honestly think those are pretty useless anyways, they're easilly marginalized and ineffective. I do think we should extend our education further to others, but how to go about this, I'm not too sure.

lx43
01-21-2011, 10:07 PM
You mean a commentators observation/opinion? I agree somewhat, we libertarians are great intellectuals and debaters, however we are not much for huge public gatherings and protests.

I honestly think those are pretty useless anyways, they're easilly marginalized and ineffective. I do think we should extend our education further to others, but how to go about this, I'm not too sure.

Getting Libertarians on the same page is like trying to heard cats. lol

HazyHusky420
01-21-2011, 11:10 PM

That's because liberals are far more numerous than libertarians.

HazyHusky420
01-21-2011, 11:12 PM
Come to include libertarians? Libertarians have always been against each and every war. Unlike the liberals, they just don't pick and choose based on the letter behind the name of the guy who's sitting behind the desk in the White House while the bombs are dropped.

Not quite. Many think it was good that we were involved in WW2. They fail to see that FDR provoked Japan to attack Pearl Harbor.