PDA

View Full Version : HAPPY 14 Trillion DAY! - When will the government hit the debt ceiling?

tangent4ronpaul
01-21-2011, 10:54 AM
http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2011/jan/21/nations-debt-tops-14-trillion-ceiling-nearly-reach/

As nation’s debt tops $14 trillion, ceiling nearly reached

Warning, warning...we’re headed for a crash.

There’s serious money talk circulating around Washington this week, as lawmakers launch in on what is likely to be a two-year plan to overhaul the country’s contorted tax framework, try to work out how to eke out a more favorable trading partnership with China, and bicker over how many hundreds of billions of dollars a repeal of the standing health care law is likely to add to the deficit.

Oh yeah, about that. We’re about to hit our debt ceiling.

On Wednesday, the country’s debt topped $14 trillion. It’s not only the first time that’s happened, it also puts us perilously close — only $300 billion away — from the $14.294 trillion debt ceiling, the legal cap on how much the U.S. can borrow from other countries.

TonySutton
01-21-2011, 11:02 AM
Is there a website with a countdown to the debt ceiling?

tangent4ronpaul
01-21-2011, 11:18 AM
Is there a website with a countdown to the debt ceiling?

Not that I've found.

Probably should have done the poll by weeks, as it usually takes Congress a month to spend 300 Billion... (that is unless the Dems are in control and can find a "crisis").

-t

fisharmor
01-21-2011, 11:35 AM
According to usdebtclock.org, we're already over 14 trillion.
Last I looked we're 230 billion away, give or take a few billions.

TonySutton
01-21-2011, 11:38 AM
I thought I read somewhere lately that the debt was growing at a rate of 2-2.5 billion per day so we still have about 100 days at that rate. I am not 100% sure what the actual rate is currently.

tangent4ronpaul
01-21-2011, 11:59 AM
I thought I read somewhere lately that the debt was growing at a rate of 2-2.5 billion per day so we still have about 100 days at that rate. I am not 100% sure what the actual rate is currently.

I looked up how much the US Gvmt spent a year and it was 3.5 Trillion. That's 291.7 Billion a month or 67.3 Billion a week or 9.6 Billion a day.

Your numbers also sound right as debt is the difference between income (taxes) and what they spend above and beyond that.

-t