PDA

View Full Version : Defense industry says Sen. Lieberman will be ‘hard to replace’

Marenco
01-20-2011, 11:46 PM
The retirement of Independent Connecticut Sen. Joe Lieberman will remove from Capitol Hill a powerful proponent for robust Pentagon spending and weapons programs.

Lieberman, a hawk on foreign policy, has long been considered a friend of defense contractors, both in Connecticut and across the country. With his retirement still two years away, the senator will still have a chance to shape a number of critical foreign-policy debates, including over withdrawal from Afghanistan, analysts say.

“He is a giant of the Senate, to me just as important on national security as [Sen. Edward] Kennedy [D-Mass.] was on health or [Sen. Bill] Bradley [D-N.J.] on finance or [Sen. Pete] Domenici [R-N.M.] on the deficit,” said Michael O’Hanlon, a national security analyst at the Brookings Institution. “In that regard he is very, very hard to replace. With luck we will be through the worst of the Afghanistan experience before he leaves, but other challenges where his wise counsel would help the nation surely loom ahead.”

The Democrat-turned-Independent’s retirement announcement comes about one year after another powerful Connecticut senator, Chris Dodd (D), announced he would leave the chamber. Those departures will leave some defense firms looking for new champions in the Senate.

http://thehill.com/business-a-lobbying/138979-defense-industry-lieberman-will-be-hard-to-replace

Anti Federalist
01-20-2011, 11:59 PM
“He is a giant of the Senate, to me just as important on national security as [Sen. Edward] Kennedy [D-Mass.] was on health or [Sen. Bill] Bradley [D-N.J.] on finance or [Sen. Pete] Domenici [R-N.M.] on the deficit,” said Michael O’Hanlon, a national security analyst at the Brookings Institution. “In that regard he is very, very hard to replace. With luck we will be through the worst of the Afghanistan experience before he leaves, but other challenges where his wise counsel would help the nation surely loom ahead.”

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIfwRrJxgcPo9E8CdBhoLX2fPL2ZyYM xvjxQWvsK8krDRLF4vt&t=1

low preference guy
01-21-2011, 12:00 AM
i know someone they can use as a replacement.

i'm e-mailing them Peter Schiff e-mail address.

tangent4ronpaul
01-21-2011, 12:15 AM
hmmm... This would be a game changer:

Constitutional amendment:

No member of Congress may vote on any legislation that would benefit a company that donated over 1,000 to their campaign or who's PAC did.

No member of Congress may vote on legislation that would benefit a company or any other entity that has a presence in their state.

:D

-t