PDA

View Full Version : Cop shows up at house for unrelated issue, nobody home, shoots dog dead.

Anti Federalist
01-20-2011, 07:39 PM
Police detective shoots and kills dog

Story Published: Jan 19, 2011 at 5:32 PM PST

http://www.kval.com/news/local/114244519.html

EUGENE, Ore. -- To his owner, 7-year-old Bull Terrier "Spanky" was a calm and loving companion.

"I had this dog for seven years since he was a puppy and I never seen him aggressive toward any human being," said Spanky's owner, Christopher Robinson.

Robinson said Spanky was gentle and never snappy, but the dog Robinson describes is a far cry from the dog a Eugene Police Department detective encountered on Tuesday.

According to neighbors and Robinson, the detective stopped by Robinson's home to talk to him about an unrelated case involving one of his neighbors.

Robinson said he wasn't home at the time but that the detective later told him that as he approached Robinson's home, he noticed that the door was open and that Spanky was in the yard.

According to neighbors, the detective said Spanky began to growl and show his teeth before lunging towards him.

That's when neighbor Jim Clarke said he heard two loud gunshots.

"The dog started charging him, so he fired. It was like boom boom," said Clarke. "We immediately looked out the window to see a dog run by, and it collapsed right there."

Robinson said he came home after a neighbor called to tell him that an officer had just shot his dog. Robinson said aggressive behavior is completely out of character for Spanky.

"I believe it was excessive use of force because he shot him twice," said Robinson. "The only reason I can think he would do something like that is if the officer already has his gun drawn."

Robinson said a neighbor watched as the detective approached the home. According to that neighbor, the detective approached the house with his gun drawn, Robinson said.

Robinson said he believes the detective could have fired warning shots before shooting at the dog, or that he could have gone back to his car.

Eugene police said they were not available to comment on the incident.

According to the Eugene Police Operations Manual, officers are only allowed to shoot when intending to "kill a dangerous or injured animal when other disposition is impractical."

Clarke, the neighbor who heard the shooting, said the detective was forced to make a split second decision.

"You have a human and an animal. If an animal comes after you like that -- and that was a big animal -- if it comes after you and it's growling? I would have probably done the same thing," said Clarke.

Robinson told KVAL News that he plans to bury Spanky on Thursday.

JoshLowry
01-20-2011, 07:52 PM
But if you even dare to touch a police dog...

coastie
01-20-2011, 08:05 PM

Reported to Truth Ministry. I cant believe a mere mundane would dare call a Police Officer a dog. :eek:

:p:collins:

oyarde
01-20-2011, 08:18 PM

They should not even be allowed to use them , if they are retarded enough to teach dogs to bite people , it should be legal for people to defend themselve from the biting animal , as it stands now , you try and get it off of you and they charge you for assaulting an officer. Retarded .

AtomiC
01-20-2011, 08:44 PM

Police dogs are special and should not be touched in anyway. We are supposed to fear them and run away and scream as they maul us to death.

Pets owned by normal citizens on the other hand are expendable and are to be shot on site with no probable cause or explanation needed.

oyarde
01-20-2011, 08:49 PM
Police dogs are special and should not be touched in anyway. We are supposed to fear them and run away and scream as they maul us to death.

Pets owned by normal citizens on the other hand are expendable and are to be shot on site with no probable cause or explanation needed.

lol

Anti Federalist
01-20-2011, 09:15 PM

Normal Citizen = Mundane

squarepusher
01-20-2011, 09:51 PM
just abou died reading this comment

Loosing an animal in my opinion is more difficult then the death of a relative. I've had 9 dogs in the past 20 years and it never gets easier when one dies. I can only imagine the hurt the owner is feeling now.

We seem to have trigger-happy police in Eugene and it is only time before one shoots a charging toddler. This detective could have just as easily backed away and the dog would have calmed down on it's own.

oyarde
01-20-2011, 09:52 PM
just abou died reading this comment

How do you go through nine dogs in twenty ?

Anti Federalist
01-20-2011, 09:55 PM
How do you go through nine dogs in twenty ?

Too many cops in his neighborhood?

Bruno
01-20-2011, 09:57 PM

+ rep

oyarde
01-20-2011, 09:58 PM

Rough neighborhood .

mport1
01-20-2011, 09:59 PM
I'm surprised now when they don't shoot a dog. This is common police procedure.

AFPVet
01-20-2011, 09:59 PM
ASPCA police v. thug police... now that would be a show to see! I just do not understand how these officers are getting away with shooting all of these dogs and people in the back. IA must not be doing their jobs anymore.

Dr.3D
01-20-2011, 10:02 PM
Reported to Truth Ministry. I cant believe a mere mundane would dare call a Police Officer a dog. :eek:

:p:collins:
Well, the mundane have to report to the Ministry of Funny Walks when a cops dog bites their leg. :o

Anti Federalist
01-20-2011, 10:12 PM
I just do not understand how these officers are getting away with shooting all of these dogs and people in the back. IA must not be doing their jobs anymore.

The dogs get shot for the same reasons I explained the people getting shot.

And IA doesn't say a word, because it's all, in most cases, "by the book".

As long as "the book" says it's SOP to blast any possible or potential threat at any time, for any reason.

Which, in far too many places, that is exactly what it says.

jclay2
01-20-2011, 10:33 PM
http://www.myenglishbulldog.co.cc/photo/Bull%20Terrier%201.jpg

This is what the detective was afraid of?

AGRP
01-20-2011, 10:35 PM
Sweet!

Does this mean I too can execute any dog that threatens me when I approach the open door of a strangers home?

Stupid dogs. You think they were pre-programed to defend their owners homes from strangers or something.

Philhelm
01-20-2011, 10:53 PM
Sweet!

Does this mean I too can execute any dog that threatens me when I approach the open door of a strangers home?

Stupid dogs. You think they were pre-programed to defend their owners homes from strangers or something.

Depends. Are you a human that happens to wear a different costume than other humans?

heavenlyboy34
01-20-2011, 10:56 PM
Glad to see the outrage here. I don't understand why this kind of thing isn't bigger news. Pet hoarders get more negative press than pet-murdering cops! (in my experience) WTF??

Vessol
01-20-2011, 11:09 PM
http://www.myenglishbulldog.co.cc/photo/Bull%20Terrier%201.jpg

This is what the detective was afraid of?

Yeah, that's a real beast. It could have threatened his life.

Pericles
01-21-2011, 12:22 AM

Or Michael Vick is his neighbor.

Dark_Horse_Rider
01-21-2011, 01:47 AM

Don't they treat that as assaulting an officer ?

ammorris
01-21-2011, 08:13 AM

A guy in my town got charged with threatening an officer for making an off-hand comment about shooting a police dog.

Anti Federalist
01-21-2011, 08:41 AM
Don't they treat that as assaulting an officer ?

Yes, and in some jurisdictions, killing a police dog will get you charged with killing an officer.

The state's dogs get treated to a higher standard, compared to us mundanes.

fisharmor
01-21-2011, 09:34 AM
I just do not understand how these officers are getting away with shooting all of these dogs and people in the back. IA must not be doing their jobs anymore.

I'll say it every time it comes up.
The police ARE doing their jobs.
IA IS doing its job.

It is the job of the police to murder our pets and ourselves.
It is the job of IA to sweep it all under the rug.

Acala
01-21-2011, 09:52 AM
The police are now trained to deal with ANY threat by putting a bullet into it. The police are also being ordered to increase how much and how often they confront people and intrude on their property and into their private affairs. By their activites they CREATE threat . . .and then eliminate it with a bullet.

Besides, shooting dogs allows them to test their guns and ammo and the cost, even if their conduct is found to be negligent, is minimal. "Okay. I guess the officer was wrong. Here's the $300 you paid for your mutt. Have a nice day."

Krugerrand
01-21-2011, 10:17 AM
Sadly - but fortunately in some ways - cops shooting dogs is far more likely to generate outrage in the population than cops shooting innocent people.