PDA

View Full Version : HuffPo: Hundreds Of Dead Birds In South Dakota Were Killed By U.S. Government

amy31416
01-20-2011, 04:39 PM
And many of these folks want **more** gov't and can't fathom life without regulatory authorities like the USDA?

When hundreds of dead birds were found Monday in Yankton, South Dakota, many residents were puzzled, thinking it was the latest in a string of similar mysterious mass animal deaths around the world. But this is one instance of the many where a clear cause has been identified, as the U.S. government claims responsibility for killing the more than 200 starlings.

It was initially believed that cold weather may have caused the bird deaths, but then Yankton police received a call from the USDA, attesting that they had poisoned the birds at a feedlot 10 miles away, KTIV reports. Apparently, some 5,000 of the birds were defecating in the feed meal, posing a threat to the animals and farm workers, when the USDA decided killing them would be the best action to take.

A bait laced with the poison DRC-1339 was used, though officials were surprised the birds made it so far before dying. They assure that the poisoned dead birds do not pose a risk to nearby animals or humans.

While the mystery of dead birds falling from the sky in South Dakota was quickly solved, similar mass animal deaths around the world remain enigmatic. 200 dead cows were recently found on a farm in Wisconsin, with a disease or pneumonia suspected as the culprit. Prior to that, mass bird deaths ranging from dozens to thousands were reported in Arkansas, Alabama, Louisiana, Kentucky, California, Italy and Sweden. Mass fish death had been report in Arkansas, Maryland, Chicago, New Zealand and Brazil, and 40,000 crabs washed ashore beaches in England.

Officials don't believe any of the incidents are related, and suspect a wide range of causes to be responsible, from cold weather and fireworks to semi-truck collisions and overeating, though they admit in many instances a clear cause may never be identified. According to The AP, mass animal deaths are not a rare occurrence.

(video at link: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/01/20/hundreds-of-dead-birds-in_n_811709.html)

Oh, and I know that starlings are considered pests, but they eat Japanese beetles, who are my nemesis every spring...

oyarde
01-20-2011, 04:43 PM
Yep , non native species that does damage .

Icymudpuppy
01-20-2011, 04:51 PM
For once the government does a good thing. Starlings are the avian equivalent to rats. Some will say pigeons are, but as a Wildlife Pest professional, I can tell you that starlings are more prolific, and do more damage than Pigeons do. I don't advocate poisoning. There are more effective and humane means of population control of invasive species like starlings, pigeons, rats, etc.

Anti Federalist
01-20-2011, 04:51 PM
Hmmph, surprised they admitted it.

Interesting that I was talking to a shipmate of mine that actually took part in Operation SHAD while in the Navy back in the 1960s.

One of the tests included mortality of mammals and birds when exposed to (still unknown exactly what type) nerve agents.

His job was to bring caged dogs, monkeys, cats, birds and other assorted creatures, leave them on remote Pacific atoll (it was classified at the time, exact location was unknown but based on what he told me, running times from Hawaii and vessel speed I'm guessing one of the outlying atolls near Kwajalien) and retreat offshore.

The agents were delivered by air.

He would return 24 hours later to remove and burn the carcasses.

Whatever it was killed every living thing on that atoll, not just the test animals, deader than a hammer.

SHAD was denied for decades by government.

"Shaddup ya conspiracy wacko, you're making us look like kooks!"

oyarde
01-20-2011, 04:52 PM
Griggstown , NJ , 2009 , the USDA killed 5,000 starlings with starlicide ( or drc 1339 ) due to farm & feed lot problems . It is only lethal to gulls and starlings .

amy31416
01-20-2011, 04:56 PM
Griggstown , NJ , 2009 , the USDA killed 5,000 starlings with starlicide ( or drc 1339 ) due to farm & feed lot problems . It is only lethal to gulls and starlings .

Interesting...I'll have to look up how it works.

oyarde
01-20-2011, 05:00 PM
Interesting...I'll have to look up how it works.

Developed in 1966 , maybe , I think it damages kidneys ?

amy31416
01-20-2011, 05:07 PM
Developed in 1966 , maybe , I think it damages kidneys ?

Seems about right:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starlicide#Usage

Usage

In 1966 it was reported that Starlicide is lethal to starlings with an acute oral LD50 of 3.8 milligrams per kilogram body weight, but less toxic to most other birds. Grain-eating game birds [such as bobwhite quail,[3] pheasants (Phasianus colchicus) and rooks (Corvus frugilegus)[4]] were acknowledged to be more vulnerable. Hawks and mammals were resistant to the poison. Starlings were killed in a slow, "nonviolent" death by uremic poisoning and congestion of major organs.[5] The effect was described as "a grayish white, frost-like material of uric acid overlaying the serosal surfaces of the various organs, accompanied by sterile inflammation and necrosis in the affected and adjacent tissues" akin to avian visceral gout.[4] The site of action is believed to be in the kidney[6]
Uses for CPTH include killing blackbirds on sprouting rice[7] and on corn and soybean fields.[8] For these and other uses the poison is often given with brown rice. Research continues to improve the effectiveness of delivery on brown rice by causing the poison to be retained on the bait longer and resist degradation by sunlight.[9][10] The effect of the poison is believed to be cumulative: for example, the LC50 for starlings was 4.7 ppm over 30 days, but only 1.0 ppm when fed for 90 days.[3]
In 2009, a culling with DRC-1339 received national attention after USDA employees dispensed the poison in Griggstown, New Jersey to kill an estimated 5,000 starlings that plagued feed lots and dairies on local farms. When "it began raining birds" community members became alarmed, unsure whether a toxin or disease was at work. Two property owners in the area reported collecting over 150 birds each from their land.[11][12]

You'd think that maybe, just maybe they might inform people BEFORE they do this, to prevent panic or at least let people prepare by wearing helmets or something? A starling to the head could be a bit painful and disturbing.

oyarde
01-20-2011, 05:09 PM
Seems about right:

You'd think that maybe, just maybe they might inform people BEFORE they do this, to prevent panic or at least let people prepare by wearing helmets or something? A starling to the head could be a bit painful and disturbing.

Yes , the usda could notify local paper they intend to try and get rid of some starlings and they could print it .

oyarde
01-20-2011, 05:28 PM
I would almost think this may be common in the big , grain , plains states or the locals must be killing some of them .

oyarde
01-20-2011, 05:36 PM
I never heard of this until 09 . We always used .22 shells loaded with # 12 shot to try and keep them out of animal feed .

oyarde
01-20-2011, 06:12 PM
For once the government does a good thing. Starlings are the avian equivalent to rats. Some will say pigeons are, but as a Wildlife Pest professional, I can tell you that starlings are more prolific, and do more damage than Pigeons do. I don't advocate poisoning. There are more effective and humane means of population control of invasive species like starlings, pigeons, rats, etc.

I suppose you would be right . The poison is likely cheap & effective , but not humane .

Koz
01-20-2011, 06:20 PM
I killed a bunch of birds in North Dakota this year. We used shotguns though. They were delicious.

oyarde
01-20-2011, 06:24 PM
I killed a bunch of birds in North Dakota this year. We used shotguns though. They were delicious.

Pheasant ? It is delicious .

Valli6
01-20-2011, 07:48 PM
I think DRC-1339 is probably what killed most of those other birds (possibly the fish) and they just don't want to admit it. Maybe because it's not "green"? Red-winged blackbirds are one of the targeted species listed for DRC-1339. The dead NJ birds from 2009 - were poisoned in January, when food is most scarce, and during a weekend - when no officials are around to answer questions about why dead birds are falling from the sky. The Arkansas birds, and others, also died during a weekend in January. DRC-1339 causes irreversible heart and (correction: not liver) kidney damage in susceptible species.

Compound DRC-1339 is a slow-acting avicide registered for controlling blackbirds, starlings, pigeons, gulls, magpies and ravens that damage agricultural crops, personal property or prey upon federally-designated threatened or endangered species. http://www.aphis.usda.gov/wildlife_damage/nwrc/registration/control_products.shtml

From the label for DRC-1399:

"This product is very highly toxic to birds and aquatic invertebrates."
"Runoff may be hazardous to aquatic organisms in neighboring areas."
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/wildlife_damage/nwrc/registration/content/56228-10%20DRC%201339%20Feedlot%2001-06%20watermarked.pdf

oyarde
01-20-2011, 08:00 PM
I think DRC-1339 is probably what killed most of those other birds (possibly the fish) and they just don't want to admit it. Maybe because it's not "green"? Red-winged blackbirds are one of the targeted species listed for DRC-1339. The dead NJ birds from 2009 - were poisoned in January, when food is most scarce, and during a weekend - when no officials are around to answer questions about why dead birds are falling from the sky. The Arkansas birds, and others, also died during a weekend in January. DRC-1339 causes irreversible heart and liver damage in susceptible species.
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/wildlife_damage/nwrc/registration/control_products.shtml

From the label for DRC-1399:

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/wildlife_damage/nwrc/registration/content/56228-10%20DRC%201339%20Feedlot%2001-06%20watermarked.pdf

The Arkansas red winged blackbirds were tested at the University of Iowa , if I recall . What were the findings ?

Bruno
01-20-2011, 08:14 PM
The Arkansas red winged blackbirds were tested at the University of Iowa , if I recall . What were the findings ?

I heard some were sent the research facility in Ames. Haven't heard results though.

Valli6
01-20-2011, 08:19 PM
(01/03/2011) BEEBE – Results from preliminary testing released today by the Arkansas Livestock and Poultry Commission Veterinary Diagnostic Lab show that red-winged blackbirds died from massive trauma on New Year’s Eve.
The trauma was primarily in breast tissue, with blood clots in the body cavity and internal bleeding. All major organs were normal and the birds appeared to be healthy. Gizzards and stomachs of the birds were empty.
According to the report, “Further tests will be done to rule out other causes, but the birds suffered from acute physical trauma leading to internal hemorrhage and death. There was no sign of any chronic or infectious disease.”
http://www.agfc.com/Pages/newsDetails.aspx?show=148

This says their stomachs were empty, but it can take 3 days for this poison to kill them. Also I've read that DRC-1399 is "metabolized" before death occurs. So I figure you can't test for this poison because it's already gone. Only the organ damage remains and this is what kills them.

Tech notes on DR-1339 (Starlicide) http://www.aphis.usda.gov/wildlife_damage/nwrc/registration/content/DRC1339starlicideTN.pdf

Tech notes on how to use DR-1339 http://www.aphis.usda.gov/wildlife_damage/nwrc/registration/content/DRC1339feedlotsTN.pdf

oyarde
01-20-2011, 08:20 PM

This says their stomachs were empty, but it can take 3 days for this poison to kill them. Also I've read that DRC-1399 is "metabolized" before death occurs. So I figure you can't test for this poison because it's already gone. Only the organ damage remains and this is what kills them.

Tech notes on DR-1339 (Starlicide) http://www.aphis.usda.gov/wildlife_damage/nwrc/registration/content/DRC1339starlicideTN.pdf

Tech notes on how to use DR-1339 http://www.aphis.usda.gov/wildlife_damage/nwrc/registration/content/DRC1339feedlotsTN.pdf

The organ damage is visible to the naked eye .

oyarde
01-20-2011, 08:23 PM

Sounds like these died from impact .

oyarde
01-20-2011, 08:29 PM
If it was 1339 all the organs should have been colored white .

Valli6
01-20-2011, 08:32 PM
The organ damage is visible to the naked eye .
Is it? I thought maybe it could cause the blood clots, or the falling injuries might cover it up :confused: but my medical knowledge is is limited.

Valli6
01-20-2011, 08:34 PM
If it was 1339 all the organs should have been colored white . Oh. I see.

oyarde
01-20-2011, 08:35 PM
Is it? I thought maybe it could cause the blood clots, or the falling injuries might cover it up :confused: but my medical knowledge is is limited.

Well , I think the broken bones and clots were from impact .....

Koz
01-20-2011, 08:35 PM
Pheasant ? It is delicious .

Pheasants, Sharptails and ducks.

oyarde
01-20-2011, 08:36 PM
I am envious , I have never had an oppurtunity to hunt shaptails .

oyarde
01-20-2011, 08:37 PM
Oh. I see.

Am not a scientist or ornithologist , I am just a boring guy who reads / studies things too much .

Koz
01-20-2011, 08:41 PM
I am envious , I have never had an oppurtunity to hunt shaptails .

They are tough to get into range, they usually flush well out of range. We usually pick up a few here or there while pheasant hunting.

oyarde
01-20-2011, 08:59 PM
They are tough to get into range, they usually flush well out of range. We usually pick up a few here or there while pheasant hunting.

Yes , I have seen a few , but never got a shot .....

oyarde
01-21-2011, 08:01 PM
What kind of ducks ? Mallards ? I like Wood Ducks .

idirtify
01-21-2011, 08:17 PM
I don't advocate poisoning. There are more effective and humane means of population control of invasive species like starlings, pigeons, rats, etc.

OK, I give up. What would be a more effective and more humane way to control a population of starlings?

oyarde
01-21-2011, 08:18 PM
OK, I give up. What would be a more effective and more humane way to control a population of starlings?

I will guess the poison is effective , if it takes a bit to kill them , would it be more humane to just nail them with bird shot ?

Vessol
01-21-2011, 08:18 PM
Why couldn't the farmers and ranchers decide to kill the birds, instead of the USDA?

oyarde
01-21-2011, 08:23 PM
Why couldn't the farmers and ranchers decide to kill the birds, instead of the USDA?

I thought same , but I also thought of instances where they would not be allowed to shoot them . If you have a feed mill or something inside city limits it would likely be illegal etc.

oyarde
01-25-2011, 02:31 PM
Bump for Cap'n Jack . I assume he traps and relocates four legged pests , but I would be interested in what method he may use for Starlings .