PDA

View Full Version : Sarah Palin Don't run, Sarah Palin!

RonPaulFanInGA
01-20-2011, 03:37 PM
http://twitter.com/ppppolls/status/28178731692462081

There are more Palin primary voters whose second choice is Ron Paul than Mitt Romney

TheTyke
01-20-2011, 03:39 PM
I know this to be true... lots of tea party people internally divided between Ron & Sarah. The Establishment will probably want her running for just that reason. :(

specsaregood
01-20-2011, 03:43 PM
So if we wanted to send a handwritten letter to Mrs. Palin....anybody know where that person from KY that urged her to endorse Rand mailed it to?

LisaNY
01-20-2011, 04:09 PM
Well there is one thing we all have in common with Sarah's supporters, and that is the pain and frustration of watching your preferred candidate get mocked and ridiculed by the press, as well as by people within their own party. I'd like to reach out to some of Palin's supporters to at least commiserate on this very subject.

Deborah K
01-20-2011, 04:17 PM
I think Sarah is going to self destruct. Her ratings have dropped since her response to the AZ shooting. She can't seem to let things go and it is going to be her undoing. I have nothing against her although I don't think she is qualified to be President. She still has great clout with the Tea Party, but she's going to blow it if she doesn't stop paying so much attention to her detractors.

sailingaway
01-20-2011, 04:25 PM
http://twitter.com/ppppolls/status/28178731692462081

That is interesting. Another poll said if Sarah doesn't run, Huckabee is the big winner. I'll look at this....

sailingaway
01-20-2011, 04:27 PM
Well there is one thing we all have in common with Sarah's supporters, and that is the pain and frustration of watching your preferred candidate get mocked and ridiculed by the press, as well as by people within their own party. I'd like to reach out to some of Palin's supporters to at least commiserate on this very subject.

The SUPPORTERS and we have a LOT in common, I have found. Like us, they have a favorite and it does NOT pay to cut her down, anymore than we are persuaded by people trashing Ron.

sailingaway
01-20-2011, 04:30 PM
I was reading the thread to find out if they were talking nationally or about a particular state and saw this:

And independents don't really trust anything...less than 50% for every outlet polled: http://tinyurl.com/49d9ksd
2:13 PM Jan 19th via web

Independents are our key to the 2012 election, but we have to get them to register GOP.

Deborah K
01-20-2011, 04:33 PM
I was reading the thread to find out if they were talking nationally or about a particular state and saw this:

Independents are our key to the 2012 election, but we have to get them to register independent.

Don't you mean we have to get them to register Republican? What about closed primaries?

sailingaway
01-20-2011, 04:35 PM
Don't you mean we have to get them to register Republican? What about closed primaries?

I meant GOP. I'll change that!

Deborah K
01-20-2011, 04:40 PM
I meant GOP. I'll change that!

okay.

I also think we need to work on the average Republican.

sailingaway
01-20-2011, 04:44 PM
okay.

I also think we need to work on the average Republican.

Yeah, but they have ingrained feelings for or against Ron whereas many independents are more open minded, just an impression. But we have to work on EVERYONE.

PermanentSleep
01-20-2011, 04:47 PM
What are the best ways to reach these independents about registering Republican before deadlines?

specsaregood
01-20-2011, 04:55 PM
What are the best ways to reach these independents about registering Republican before deadlines?

registered voters lists do the trick. get the, go knocking door to door. bring the change party form with you.

sailingaway
01-20-2011, 05:00 PM
registered voters lists do the trick. get the, go knocking door to door. bring the change party form with you.

Where do we get the voters' lists?

specsaregood
01-20-2011, 05:07 PM
Where do we get the voters' lists?

It depends; county clerks office is a good one to check. State board of elections should have state wide lists. Or you can even buy them from private companies online.
Or even if you are looking to register GOP voters, you local GOP might have the lists and be willing to share them.

TheTyke
01-20-2011, 05:18 PM
Look, I won't attempt to discourage anyone from acting on behalf of Ron. Whatever you do though, don't create the impression that Ron isn't Republican and has to get other parties to vote for him, that will probably drive off more actual Republicans than you can recruit.

In KY our strategy was to contact registered Republicans - ones we KNEW voted every time - and convince them to vote. we contacted hundreds of thousands of REPUBLICANS and that's why we won. I tried to get people to switch, but only got about 10... Thomas in KY probably got the most and he got around 100+.... it's a drop in the bucket. I'm glad we did it, because with YAL and all the Revolution focused on KY, we WERE able to contact all Republicans... but we won't be able to for a countrywide race. That should be our priority.

I know for a fact that Ron's 2008 campaign was a day late and dollar short... they just shotgun advertised because they didn't have the time to do voter id, direct mailing etc. I'm just not convinced that any of us have so much time that we think it will be no problem to contact every Republican and we should start working on Indys, who, odds are, won't switch even if they believe in Ron. I really don't know where these ideas come from. There are proven ways of winning elections, like we did with Rand, and they just need to be applied to Ron's campaign. No need to try and reinvent the wheel...

sailingaway
01-20-2011, 05:21 PM
Look, I won't attempt to discourage anyone from acting on behalf of Ron. Whatever you do though, don't create the impression that Ron isn't Republican and has to get other parties to vote for him, that will probably drive off more actual Republicans than you can recruit.

In KY our strategy was to contact registered Republicans - ones we KNEW voted every time - and convince them to vote. we contacted hundreds of thousands of REPUBLICANS and that's why we won. I tried to get people to switch, but only got about 10... Thomas in KY probably got the most and he got around 100+.... it's a drop in the bucket. I'm glad we did it, because with YAL and all the Revolution focused on KY, we WERE able to contact all Republicans... but we won't be able to for a countrywide race. That should be our priority.

I know for a fact that Ron's 2008 campaign was a day late and dollar short... they just shotgun advertised because they didn't have the time to do voter id, direct mailing etc. I'm just not convinced that any of us have so much time that we think it will be no problem to contact every Republican and we should start working on Indys, who, odds are, won't switch even if they believe in Ron. I really don't know where these ideas come from. There are proven ways of winning elections, like we did with Rand, and they just need to be applied to Ron's campaign. No need to try and reinvent the wheel...

The GOP has lost a huge part if its membership because it stopped being conservative. Other new conservatives looked at it and weren't tempted. Those people SHOULD be Republican.

I know what you mean, the 'register GOP' video one guy who WASN'T GOP and didn't consider himself such did has a flavor of 'I know this is awful, but you really have to register', which kinda took me aback since I've been in the GOP forever. (But apathetic.) But we have to get people into the GOP who just don't like the recent crop of GOP frontrunners, but who really are conservative and belong there.

Heck, Reince Preibus (sp?) should consider us his best friends where outreach is concerned.

Deborah K
01-20-2011, 05:24 PM
Yeah, but they have ingrained feelings for or against Ron whereas many independents are more open minded, just an impression. But we have to work on EVERYONE.

Some, but not all. The hardest thing to do, for me anyway, in convincing Republicans is to get them past their media-led impression of Dr. Paul. The media successfully marginalized him last cycle and that has stuck. One thing he has going for him this time is that his economic predictions were validated and the media doesn't seem to have a problem considering him an expert on the subject since the collapse began. Using utubes of his interviews goes a long way once you can get people receptive.

specsaregood
01-20-2011, 05:24 PM
The GOP has lost a huge part if its membership because it stopped being conservative. Other new conservatives looked at it and weren't tempted. Those people SHOULD be Republican.

Not only that but you had people like Lou dobbs urging his viewers -- many of whom would side with Dr. Paul on many issues -- to change their party status to independent in protest.

Deborah K
01-20-2011, 05:25 PM
Consider, though, that the dynamic in California, not orange county, might be different..... San Diego county, where I live, is pretty conservative as well.

Deborah K
01-20-2011, 05:26 PM
Not only that but you had people like Lou dobbs urging his viewers -- many of whom would side with Dr. Paul on many issues -- to change their party status to independent in protest.

Yeah that was a problem.

sailingaway
01-20-2011, 05:30 PM
San Diego county, where I live, is pretty conservative as well.

But LA isn't. Who will win the vote? Because a lot of delegates go with LA. California prorates them.

sailingaway
01-20-2011, 05:32 PM
Some, but not all. The hardest thing to do, for me anyway, in convincing Republicans is to get them past their media-led impression of Dr. Paul. The media successfully marginalized him last cycle and that has stuck. One thing he has going for him this time is that his economic predictions were validated and the media doesn't seem to have a problem considering him an expert on the subject since the collapse began. Using utubes of his interviews goes a long way once you can get people receptive.

Good ideas.

TheTyke
01-20-2011, 05:37 PM
What I'm trying to get across is that instead of debating 1 person for an hour and maybe changing their mind, or convincing & switching 2 friends' registration, you could see 30 registered republicans who will definitely vote, and get 5-10 of them to vote for Dr. Paul. When it comes to straight number-based election strategy, targeting Republicans who vote is most effective. Maximize vote gathering.

It's a little odd to do without official campaign direction, but it's what's most effective. Hopefully the campaign will be a little bit more together this time and get training and plans out to various areas... none of us really knew what to do for Ron's race, but Rand's was ship-shape and organized by comparison.

sailingaway
01-20-2011, 05:42 PM
What I'm trying to get across is that instead of debating 1 person for an hour and maybe changing their mind, or convincing & switching 2 friends' registration, you could see 30 registered republicans who will definitely vote, and get 5-10 of them to vote for Dr. Paul. When it comes to straight number-based election strategy, targeting Republicans who vote is most effective. Maximize vote gathering.

It's a little odd to do without official campaign direction, but it's what's most effective. Hopefully the campaign will be a little bit more together this time and get training and plans out to various areas... none of us really knew what to do for Ron's race, but Rand's was ship-shape and organized by comparison.

I'll try it. With so many of the old players in this, I was supposing people's minds were set, and they wouldn't be flexible to change. Late in the election when I finally discovered Ron, my conversations hit dead ends with Republicans, their minds were made up. Maybe it will be different, that was right before the election.

specsaregood
01-20-2011, 05:43 PM

I think most would agree with this in general. However, the fact that Dr. Paul polls highest with independents indicates that perhaps it is worth targetting those voters as well.

Deborah K
01-20-2011, 05:44 PM

Yes it was. I was one of those who volunteered to make calls for him. I thought they were very organized. They sent me a phone, gave me a speech, and an online list to work off where I could post responses to the calls and keep track of my calls.

sailingaway
01-20-2011, 05:44 PM
I think most would agree with this in general. However, the fact that Dr. Paul polls highest with independents indicates that perhaps it is worth targetting those voters as well.

This is something I think wasn't done last time because it doesn't work with MOST GOP and those looking at this were used to other GOP campaigns. But other GOP candidates just don't poll with independents like Ron does.... he DOMINATES.

specsaregood
01-20-2011, 05:47 PM
This is something I think wasn't done last time because it doesn't work with MOST GOP and those looking at this were used to other GOP campaigns. But other GOP candidates just don't poll with independents like Ron does.... he DOMINATES.

Exactly. I'd treat existing GOP voters like standard test questions -- of course you have to study for them; but the independent voters like extra credit questions. They are free points if you work on them.

sailingaway
01-20-2011, 05:51 PM
Yes it was. I was one of those who volunteered to make calls for him. I thought they were very organized. They sent me a phone, gave me a speech, and an online list to work off where I could post responses to the calls and keep track of my calls.

Me too, but I didn't get a phone.....:mad:

;)

Deborah K
01-20-2011, 05:53 PM
Me too, but I didn't get a phone.....:mad:
:) (no 'wink' emoticon....)
;)

HA!!! If you TYPE the wink, it appears!!

hehe, well maybe it's cuz I phone banked during the primary. ;)

TheTyke
01-20-2011, 05:54 PM
I'll try it. With so many of the old players in this, I was supposing people's minds were set, and they wouldn't be flexible to change. Late in the election when I finally discovered Ron, my conversations hit dead ends with Republicans, their minds were made up. Maybe it will be different, that was right before the election.

It's a numbers game - not convincing people, but rather quickly IDing the ones who support you, and making sure they get out to vote. Don't remind the ones who don't support your candidate. :) I heard only like 15% of a candidate's supporters will actually make it out to vote, so victory is decided by the margin of your supporters you get out to vote. To put it into perspective, the YAL people who volunteered for Rand visited/IDed around over ten thousand households in a 3 day period in person. Later, they must have contacted a hundred thousand by phone... It's the campaign's job to send mail, advertising, speak at events, and generally the volunteers mostly engage in IDing and turning out voters.

But until the official campaign gets to it, I guess it can't hurt to find people to switch. I just feel anxiety when I see mentions of party switching - it was Kokesh's main strategy I heard and it bombed badly. Rand's strat of appealing to repubs by comparison got a 24% primary win (woa) Also haven't slept in a day so apologies for being so insistent on this point. :)

sailingaway
01-20-2011, 05:55 PM
hehe, well maybe it's cuz I phone banked during the primary. ;)

So did I.... but I had an 'unlimited call' thing going for a while. (found the wink emoticon, by the way.)

sailingaway
01-20-2011, 05:57 PM
It's a numbers game - not convincing people, but rather quickly IDing the ones who support you, and making sure they get out to vote. Don't remind the ones who don't support your candidate. :) I heard only like 15% of a candidate's supporters will actually make it out to vote, so victory is decided by the margin of your supporters you get out to vote. To put it into perspective, the YAL people who volunteered for Rand visited/IDed around over ten thousand households in a 3 day period in person. Later, they must have contacted a hundred thousand by phone... It's the campaign's job to send mail, advertising, speak at events, and generally the volunteers mostly engage in IDing and turning out voters.

But until the official campaign gets to it, I guess it can't hurt to find people to switch. I just feel anxiety when I see mentions of party switching - it was Kokesh's main strategy I heard and it bombed badly. Rand's strat of appealing to repubs by comparison got a 24% primary win (woa) Also haven't slept in a day so apologies for being so insistent on this point. :)

No prob. And I was impressed by Rand's campaign on that point.

specsaregood
01-20-2011, 05:59 PM
So back to the topic in the OP.
I suggest we start a letters to Mrs. Palin campaign. We as many Dr. Paul supporters as possible write her a letter (not email) urging her to endorse Dr. Paul for the Republican nomination. I'm going out now, but we need to dig up the best possible address to send her letters.

This page suggests: http://www.fanmail.biz/111268.html
Sarah Palin
The Office of Sarah Palin
P.O. Box 871235
Wasilla, AK 99687

or
Secondary Address:
Sarah Palin
1140 W Parks Hwy
Wasilla, AK 99654
USA

TheTyke
01-20-2011, 06:01 PM
No prob. And I was impressed by Rand's campaign on that point.

YAL was simply amazing. And I heard this wasn't properly executed in 08... they ran out of time and just told people to go talk to everyone about Ron. No massive scale ID and turnout. That's why I think we can really win this time if we apply ourselves! It'll be tough, but lots of other things going for us too. How exciting. :D

Sola_Fide
01-20-2011, 06:16 PM
The SUPPORTERS and we have a LOT in common, I have found. Like us, they have a favorite and it does NOT pay to cut her down, anymore than we are persuaded by people trashing Ron.

Yes. I've found this to be true as well. It is much better to show Palin supporters that libertarianism is just a more consistent form of conservatism. Tearing down Sarah gets us nowhere...

Bergie Bergeron
01-21-2011, 03:12 AM
http://www.nationalenquirer.com/todd_palin_sex_scandal_prostitute_shailey_tripp_ex clusive/celebrity/70033
Looks like you jinxed her.

Bergie Bergeron
01-21-2011, 01:05 PM
bump

pcosmar
01-21-2011, 01:24 PM
Found this,
http://www.theonion.com/articles/morbid-curiosity-leading-many-voters-to-support-pa,18865/#

GunnyFreedom
01-21-2011, 02:03 PM
Seriously, TheTyke is right. I mean, in my campaign we were able to focus on Independents and ConservaDems, because it was a General election. But winning will come from focusing on the people who you already know are going to be at the polls and who you already know are going to have your candidate on the ballot.

What has been missing from this discussion is that several states have "Open Primaries" or "Modified Open Primaries." In those states we have a much better shot because Ron Paul really really does do better with Independents, and you don't have to do a thing about changing party registration there.

But in states with closed primaries, yeah, no question focus on Republican voters.

If we want to win, we have to do what works. Targeting known voters who you know will have Paul on the ballot...that's what works.

Slutter McGee
01-21-2011, 04:50 PM
In some state you should target independents. In some you should target Republicans. All depends on the states primary election laws.

Slutter McGee

Edit: Texas has open primaries. I dont know how many others do, but nothing wrong with going hard after independents in those states...

2nd Edit: I never bothered to read Gunny's post before me. He beat me too it.