PDA

View Full Version : March in FL: Judge Nap, Sheriff Mack, Gary Johnson, G Edward Griffin, Tom Tancredo

Matt Collins
01-20-2011, 03:23 PM
March 18-20, Tampa!

Here is the scoop:
http://saveamericaconvention.com/

Deborah K
01-20-2011, 03:31 PM
This sounds great!! Who are the organizers?

Matt Collins
01-20-2011, 03:52 PM
This sounds great!! Who are the organizers?
Mark Cross, FL-CFL.

muzzled dogg
01-20-2011, 04:08 PM
this is gonna be sick. wish i could get down there. heard judge gets $20-25k for a speaking engagement :/

Deborah K
01-20-2011, 04:19 PM
this is gonna be sick. wish i could get down there. heard judge gets $20-25k for a speaking engagement :/

We tried to get him for the RevMarch and his fees then were 15k.

muzzled dogg
01-20-2011, 04:33 PM
wonderin who fronted that kinda money for this event?

Fredom101
01-20-2011, 05:44 PM
Tom Tancredo??? :(

muzzled dogg
01-20-2011, 05:48 PM
ha

Matt Collins
01-21-2011, 02:39 AM
It's a lot more than that, but it's also somewhat impolite to discuss such things in public.

Austrian Econ Disciple
01-21-2011, 02:44 AM
I wonder how much Patrick Henry and Thomas Jefferson got paid to give 'speaking engagements'. Sure, enough to cover your expenses, but if you want to maximize the message to as many people as much as possible, charging these sorts of fees is kind of outrageous. Hey, Judge, don't you think that the CFL would be much better off using that 20,000$ and creating new avenues to spread the message? I like the Judge a lot, but these sorts of things make me really suspicious.

low preference guy
01-21-2011, 02:47 AM
I wonder how much Patrick Henry and Thomas Jefferson got paid to give 'speaking engagements'. Sure, enough to cover your expenses, but if you want to maximize the message to as many people as much as possible, charging these sorts of fees is kind of outrageous. Hey, Judge, don't you think that the CFL would be much better off using that 20,000$ and creating new avenues to spread the message? I like the Judge a lot, but these sorts of things make me really suspicious.

lol. are you also suspicious of tom woods? he charges to speak, you know?

Austrian Econ Disciple
01-21-2011, 02:51 AM
lol. are you also suspicious of tom woods? he charges to speak, you know?

Let me know when Thomas Woods charges 20,000$+ for a speaking engagement. I've talked to him on numerous occasions and I can assure you his fee is barely more than the expenses he incurs to make the trips. I also know quite a few other speakers who only charge what it costs them to make the trip. And yes, I am suspicious of anyone who proclaims to want to further the movement, then acts in ways which do not promote those goals. I wonder how successful the '76 Revolution would have been if all the prominent members at the time charged such fees just to hear them talk of the message. Oh what's that....Common Sense was ridiculously cheap and widespread and many of the speakers spoke for free? Wow, amazing. I am sure that had nothing to do with the success and widespread thought of classical liberalism in early America.

You know, I think the movement would be far better off if Ron Paul started to charge 15,000$ for all his speaking engagements. That way more people will be able to hear the message! Yay, that's the way.

JoshLowry
01-21-2011, 02:56 AM

Says the free-market voluntaryist...

More power to the Judge.

The CFL burns through a lot of cash. I think RPF has gone through about $3k or $4k in donations over nearly 4 years.

Matt Collins
01-21-2011, 02:58 AM
I was thinking that myself... oh the irony... and why are YOU up so late?

I just won an election, that's my excuse :-P

Austrian Econ Disciple
01-21-2011, 03:00 AM

I am not against him making money, but if you say you want to further the movement, and then create artificial blocks to that end, well...what is more important for the Judge? Besides, more than 25,000$ for one speaking engagement? That seems a bit exorbitant. I remember people here being suspicious at Palin's 100,000$+ speaking engagement fees. Besides, no one should expect to make money off their calling. You do that because you love what you are doing. Surely, CFL would be better off and the message be able to be better spread if the Judge didn't charge such fees, don't you think? Besides, just because I am a free-marketeer doesn't mean that I think every single action every single person ever does should be profited from. I wonder how much charity would be better off if all these institutions started to charge people...oh wait.

Josh, are you anti-Non profit companies? Charity? Do you charge people for helping them? Besides, no where did I advocate for a Government ban on people making money talking. So outrageous.

Usually people say I have no strategic bone, but sometimes I wonder... :p

JoshLowry
01-21-2011, 03:00 AM
I make it past the 3:00am mark quite often.

Which election did you win?

Austrian Econ Disciple
01-21-2011, 03:12 AM
I was thinking that myself... oh the irony... and why are YOU up so late?

I just won an election, that's my excuse :-P

I wonder how much I have to pay if I find myself sitting next to the Judge in a bar and happen to spark up a conversation. 50$? 150$? But, that's silly right? I think the Mises Institute would be far better off if they pulled all their free PDF's, articles, etc. and started to charge people. That will DOUBLE our movement! Yeah!

The Judge can charge whatever he wants, but I think it's damaging to the long-term success of the movement. If you want to artificially limit the amount of people who will hear the message, then by all means do so. I think it is just a bit silly though. Imagine how many people would show up if these big speaking events were 2$? What about 4$? How many do you think would show if it was 25$? This is simple economics.

Sorry for wanting the message to spread to the most people possible.

Elwar
01-21-2011, 09:05 AM
I see the paid speaking engagements at Libertarian events as our own "lobbyist" rewards for officials to stick to our principles.

If you're a libertarian and you get elected and some oil CEO comes up to you and says that he'll set you and your family up for years after you leave office with financial stability if you just vote "Yes" on this teeny tiny little bill, what is your other option? You're stuck contemplating an easy life from there on out vs struggling with your family after you leave office, trying to find a job.

Or, if you stick to your principles, you can go out and speak about it. Nobody would want to hire a speaker who was on message "most" of the time, except the times he was financially directed in another direction.

low preference guy
01-21-2011, 07:53 PM
I wonder how much I have to pay if I find myself sitting next to the Judge in a bar and happen to spark up a conversation. 50$? 150$? But, that's silly right? I think the Mises Institute would be far better off if they pulled all their free PDF's, articles, etc. and started to charge people. That will DOUBLE our movement! Yeah!

what an incredibly stupid comparison. i can't believe i'm reading such a dumb argument.

Matt Collins
01-23-2011, 11:55 PM
what an incredibly stupid comparison. i can't believe i'm reading such a dumb argument.
You must be new here :(

Matt Collins
01-24-2011, 12:00 AM
I am not against him making money, but if you say you want to further the movement, and then create artificial blocks to that end, well...what is more important for the Judge? Besides, more than 25,000$ for one speaking engagement? That seems a bit exorbitant. I remember people here being suspicious at Palin's 100,000$+ speaking engagement fees. Maybe you need to go back and study some economics. People get paid what they are worth. And the market has determined that both Palin and the Judge are worth those respective amounts.

Who are you to say what someone is worth? I mean they might be worth that to you, but there are others they are definitely worth those sums to.

Don't forget though that the Judge has done a lot of things for free or at a bare-bones rate.

Besides, no one should expect to make money off their calling. You do that because you love what you are doing. By your logic everyone should hate their jobs. Asinine :rolleyes:

Surely, CFL would be better off and the message be able to be better spread if the Judge didn't charge such fees, don't you think? His price carries information, specifically how valuable he is.

He is obviously a very valuable commodity which makes it worth paying that amount of money for him.

Besides, just because I am a free-marketeer doesn't mean that I think every single action every single person ever does should be profited from. Neither do I, but people will be paid what the market calls for, no less, no more.

Matt Collins
01-24-2011, 12:01 AM
Which election did you win?Special Election for TN State Senate. A CFL member was running and we got him the Republican nomination... by a mere 600 votes :D :cool: :collins:

college4life
01-24-2011, 12:06 AM
Collins we understand economics, but just because something can be monetized doesn't mean it should.

Thanks for the edification mr menger.

Matt Collins
01-24-2011, 12:07 AM
The Judge can charge whatever he wants, but I think it's damaging to the long-term success of the movement. If you want to artificially limit the amount of people who will hear the message, then by all means do so. There is nothing "artificial" about this. The Judge is a product. He provides a service. There is cost and profit involved in both of these. You obviously don't understand the free market which is deeply disturbing considering your username. :(

I think it is just a bit silly though. Imagine how many people would show up if these big speaking events were 2$? What about 4$? How many do you think would show if it was 25$? This is simple economics.Often times conventional wisdom isn't. This is a prime example. If people were only charged $1 to hear the Judge, then many people would think he isn't worth very much. There is a point of diminishing returns with price. If you lower the price too much you won't continue to gain customers. There is a point where you can maximize customers at the minimal price. But below that point, regardless of price, increase in customers is negligible.

Please learn some economics.

And there is also the psychological effect of "well, if we make it expensive, then people will perceive value". Imagine if they sold all Rolex watches for $50? Would they then have the value attached to them? No.

Matt Collins
01-24-2011, 12:08 AM
Let me know when Thomas Woods charges 20,000$+ for a speaking engagement. I've talked to him on numerous occasions and I can assure you his fee is barely more than the expenses he incurs to make the trips. I also know quite a few other speakers who only charge what it costs them to make the trip. And yes, I am suspicious of anyone who proclaims to want to further the movement, then acts in ways which do not promote those goals. I wonder how successful the '76 Revolution would have been if all the prominent members at the time charged such fees just to hear them talk of the message. Oh what's that....Common Sense was ridiculously cheap and widespread and many of the speakers spoke for free? Wow, amazing. I am sure that had nothing to do with the success and widespread thought of classical liberalism in early America.You do realize the Judge has done many free and cost-only events, right? :rolleyes:

college4life
01-24-2011, 12:10 AM
Collins, you remind me of someone who has just read chapter one from his mankiw microecon book and now acts like you are so smart.

Trust me, we understand rudimentary supply and demand. AEP's point is that just because someone can charge something doesn't mean they should. If you were sick and needed help mowing your yard and I was your friend should I charge you for my labor?

Live_Free_Or_Die
01-24-2011, 12:14 AM

The Judge can charge whatever he wants, but I think it's damaging to the long-term success of the movement. If you want to artificially limit the amount of people who will hear the message, then by all means do so. I think it is just a bit silly though. Imagine how many people would show up if these big speaking events were 2$? What about 4$? How many do you think would show if it was 25$? This is simple economics.

Sorry for wanting the message to spread to the most people possible.

My recommendation is start publishing your own works. I have complete confidence you can out earn the Judge. I believe in you.

When you are in demand and become popular discriminate in your pricing and charge ten times as much for events organized by statists. :)

low preference guy
01-24-2011, 12:19 AM
Some of you guys are hilarious.

The Judge has many responsibilities. He has only X amount of time to give speeches. He will talk at most X minutes no matter what. So the question is: WHO will hear the Judge those X minutes? Those who pay more, so the Judge is better off. If he was charging nothing, he would still speak X minutes, but the Judge would've been worse off, because he wouldn't be charging.

To recap: The Judge has a monopoly on a service: speeches by the Judge. The time is limited, because he has other responsibilities. To determine the recipients of the service, he lets supply and demand act to reach an equilibrium price. If he didn't charge anything, he wouldn't have an easy way to determine whom to speak. He would have to study the recipients to see who is more deserving. But then again, that takes time, so his speaking time would've diminished to X-C.

If the Judge charges regularly, that doesn't mean he won't do it for free that if he finds an audience who will greatly benefit from one of his presentations. Also, I'm sure he doesn't put any restrictions to distribute the recordings from the event, so people can still watch him freely if someone takes the time to record his appearance.

Matt Collins
01-24-2011, 12:29 AM
Trust me, we understand rudimentary supply and demand.
No, it's obvious that AEP doesn't by his statements.

AEP's point is that just because someone can charge something doesn't mean they should.That's not what he said at all.

If you were sick and needed help mowing your yard and I was your friend should I charge you for my labor?Apples and oranges.

Joey Fuller
01-24-2011, 04:12 AM
If your complaining about the Judge's fees... then here's a solution:

Watch his show 'Freedomwatch' for free:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yqss3ljGua8&feature=related

itshappening
01-24-2011, 04:41 AM
do you not think it furthers the movement to have a nationally recognized personality like the Judge speaking at so many events?

Relatively speaking he doesn't get the massive deals the likes of Beck have so why shouldn't he maximize his speaking revenue?

I am sure CFL are happy with his services and has helped them expand membership, donations and interest. Like people said if it didnt "work" for them (and ultimately us) they wouldn't hire him..

itshappening
01-24-2011, 04:44 AM
Also lets not forget that we need to own the message

if we didn't do this, if CFL didn't do this, then you'd have the corporate fake PACs with commercial protectionist money putting on these conventions and helpfully steering people away from the Fed, foreign policy, etc. into distractions like repeal healthcare

Matt Collins
03-13-2011, 11:22 AM
Didn't the Judge come and speak to the Mises Institute for free last year?

Matt Collins
03-14-2011, 10:25 AM
Anyone here going?

qh4dotcom
03-14-2011, 10:42 AM
I recall one time the Judge was speaking at the Mises Institute, as Lew Rockwell was introducing the Judge......Lew said the Judge was doing it as a gift (for free)

Update:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sNWbiAMf80

Matt Collins
03-14-2011, 01:18 PM
If you are 21 or younger you may qualify for a free 3 day pass. A benefactor has purchased several 3 day passes. He said give them away to folks that are 21 or under. If you would like a free 3 day pass please call 727-329-0490 for more information.

Matt Collins
03-15-2011, 02:04 PM
Intinerary

Friday March 18th

2:30 PM - 4:00 PM Arrive early for registration. Please visit Cafe Waterside, Champions Sports Bar, IL Terrazo, or Lobby Lounge for an enjoyable meal to take you through the evening. 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM Welcome reception. Cash bar. Live entertainment. Visit sponsors and vendor booths. For full entertainment line up click here (http://saveamericaconvention.com/entertainment/). Narrated film presentation. 6:00 PM - 6:30 PM Convention commencement and special announcements. Honor Guard, prayer and pledge. 6:35 PM - 6:45 PM Mark Cross - Florida's Campaign for Liberty 6:45 PM - 7:45 PM Sheriff Richard Mack - The Victory for State Sovereignty 7:45 PM - 7:50 PM Neal Fox - Video Presentation - Sue The Fed 7:50 PM - 8:10 PM Dr. Richard Davis - Suing the Federal Reserve 8:10 PM - 8:25 PM Musical tribute by Jordan Page 8:25 PM - 8:30 PM Honorary Judge Andrew P. Napolitano Introduction 8:30 PM - 9:30 PM Keynote speaker Honorary Judge Andrew P. Napolitano
Personal liberties, freedom and the Constitution
Saturday March 19th

7:30 AM - 8:30 AM Check in. Visit vendors and sponsors. Films. 8:30 AM - 8:45 AM SAF President Fred Brownbill 8:45 AM - 9:00 AM Declaration of Independence - Luke, Maria, and Bree Pollack 9:00 AM - 10:00 AM G. Edward Griffin. Author of the Creature from Jekyll Island. A second look at the Federal Reserve. Q & A session. 10:00 AM - 11:00 AM Paul St. John - Great American Coup of 1913. Q & A session. 11:00 AM - 12:00 PM Dr. Richard Davis - Money Crimes; Suing the Federal Reserve. Q & A session. 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM Break for lunch 1:00 PM - 1:15 PM Important Announcements 1:15 PM - 2:15 PM Dr. Kirk Elliott - True State of the Economy. Public policy and legislation. Q & A session. 2:15 PM - 3:15 PM Stewart Rhodes, the Founder of Oath Keepers, with Brandon Smith - New Monetary System. Q & A session. 3:15 PM - 3:30 PM Break 3:30 PM - 4:00 PM John Galt - The Establishment of an Alternative Market System After a Currency Collapse 4:00 PM - 4:45 PM John Michael Chambers - Solutions for the Escalating Crisis. The Four Pillars. Q & A session. 4:45 PM - 5:30 PM Howard "Mad Max" Mullen - America Comes Together as One 6:00 PM - 9:00 PM Constitutional Dinner

G. Edward Griffin
Stewart Rhodes
Sheriff Richard Mack
Gary Johnson
Tom Tancredo

Photo op. Meet and mingle. Plated dinner and cash bar - (view menu (http://saveamericaconvention.com/storage/pdf/dinner-menu.pdf)). Speakers will do a Q & A session following dinner.
$125 per person
$50 per person for photo and Q&A session (no dinner)
Get your tickets. (http://saveamericaconvention.com/buy-tickets)

Sunday March 20

8:45 AM - 9:00 AM Fred Brownbill - Save America Foundation 9:00 AM - 9:20 AM James Mell - Does America have the courage to solve the budget crises? Solutions for congress. 9:20 AM - 10:20 AM Gary Johnson - America Initiative - Solving the Economic Crisis & Civil Liberties. Q & A session. 10:20 AM - 11:20 PM Tom Tancredo - Immigration. And the greatest threat to America today. 11:20 AM - 11:40 PM Robert C. Brown III - God, Guns, and Guts 11:40 AM - 12:40 PM Lunch 12:40 PM - 1:00 PM Announcements 1:00 PM - 1:45 PM Joseph Farah - The Debt Ceiling 1:45 PM - 2:30 PM Keith Flaugh - From GOOOH; The Get Out of Our House Revolution 2:30 PM - 3:00 PM Martin Mawyer - Sharia Law In America 3:00 PM - 3:15 PM Break 3:15 PM - 4:00 PM Frantz Kebreau - Individual Liberty - A Gift from our Creator 4:00 PM - 4:15 PM Mark Cross - Campaign for Liberty. Legislative agenda in Tallahassee. How to get involved in the process. 4:15 PM - 5:30 PM Open panel Q & A
Notes:
Speakers and schedules may be subject to changes.
Video recorders and audio rendering devices are prohibited and would be grounds for removal without refund.

newbitech
03-15-2011, 02:07 PM
Ahhh finally freedom comes marching through my town and I am gonna be on the other coast ahhh!

Matt Collins
03-15-2011, 03:00 PM
Ahhh finally freedom comes marching through my town and I am gonna be on the other coast ahhh!
Hope you are stocking up on some iodine ;-)

newbitech
03-15-2011, 03:07 PM
Hope you are stocking up on some iodine ;-)

nah, I meant other coast of Florida =)