PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul on Morning Joe 1/20 (video)

sailingaway
01-20-2011, 10:32 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3036789/#41171046

BenIsForRon
01-20-2011, 10:51 AM
Good interview. Take home message: we have to GTFO of Iraq and Afghanistan, or we're screwed. Everyone in the studio agreed. Why in the hell can't we get America up in arms about this?

lester1/2jr
01-20-2011, 10:51 AM
so far this is a very dull rundown of the China-US state dinner. Did I click on the wrong thing?

edit: nevermind

the profundity of Rons statement went right past Tina Brown, she launched into some really superficial talking points about riding waves and appearences, blech

tina brown and huffpo are so lame.

Wesker1982
01-20-2011, 10:55 AM
Good interview. I like it when he goes on there, they always seem to be nice and give him a chance to talk.

It was good hearing that lady and Paul talk about Obama being a war hawk. I also like that the host pointed out that no one is talking about the wars anymore, etc. Good interview.

NBC news poll: 56% think the outlook for the U.S. will be better in 5 years.... lol.

specsaregood
01-20-2011, 10:58 AM
It bothers me how they always feel the need to call him by both his first an last name. "Ron Paul". Why do you figure they do that?

sailingaway
01-20-2011, 11:01 AM
It bothers me how they always feel the need to call him by both his first an last name. "Ron Paul". Why do you figure they do that?

Well, now there is a Rand Paul (and they often get that wrong, still in print media). Mostly for TV, I think 'Congressman' is just verbally tongue twisting, try saying 'Congressman Paul' vs Ron Paul. Doctor Paul is smoother. In print that doesn't happen as much, but 'Ron Paul' draws views. Do you EVER google 'Congressman Paul'? I know I never have....

specsaregood
01-20-2011, 11:05 AM
Well, now there is a Rand Paul (and they often get that wrong, still in print media). Mostly for TV, I think 'Congressman' is just verbally tongue twisting, try saying 'Congressman Paul' vs Ron Paul. Doctor Paul is smoother. In print that doesn't happen as much, but 'Ron Paul' draws views. Do you EVER google 'Congressman Paul'? I know I never have....

Maybe, I'd have to see how they address other congressman to see what they do.

Sola_Fide
01-20-2011, 11:11 AM
Ron Paul is a prophet.

lester1/2jr
01-20-2011, 11:11 AM
"every day we stay in Afghanistan and Iraq is a day we damage America's future" -Scarborough

Brett85
01-20-2011, 11:17 AM
"every day we stay in Afghanistan and Iraq is a day we damage America's future" -Scarborough

Scarborough is really all over the board on the issues. He bashed Rand over his comments on the Civil Rights Act and claimed that the oil leak in the gulf was due to "Republican deregulation."

tangent4ronpaul
01-20-2011, 11:18 AM

From the video:

And as Ron said
Congressman Paul
Ron's been talking about this
We've been there forever and a decade Ron

sailingaway
01-20-2011, 11:18 AM
Maybe, I'd have to see how they address other congressman to see what they do.

Sometimes they just say 'Congressman' with no name.

I'm not wedded to it, it is just a theory...

sailingaway
01-20-2011, 11:19 AM
Scarborough is really all over the board on the issues. He bashed Rand over his comments on the Civil Rights Act and claimed that the oil leak in the gulf was due to "Republican deregulation."

He's an entertainer trying (it seems) to potentially build a following to return to politics, but as you say, he flips too much...

liberalnurse
01-20-2011, 11:28 AM
I remember back in '07, '08 I read a comment by a journalist that said somehting like, His supporters never call him by his last name only. It's always Ron Paul. :)

tangent4ronpaul
01-20-2011, 11:36 AM
I remember back in '07, '08 I read a comment by a journalist that said somehting like, His supporters never call him by his last name only. It's always Ron Paul. :)

We could always do the Hollyweird thang to appeal to the "cool" crowd: RoPa 2012! :D

(Pronounced Row Pah)

-t

Cowlesy
01-20-2011, 11:44 AM

Totally agree. He is always so erratic. I think he just likes to agree with people and then qualify his points. Actually, it's probably not that calculated. There isn't much thinking going on between the time the neuron fires in his head until his mouth opens up.

sailingaway
01-20-2011, 12:02 PM
We could always do the Hollyweird thang to appeal to the "cool" crowd: RoPa 2012! :D

(Pronounced Row Pah)

-t

Ew.

Sorry, but ..... Ew.

But I had forgotten that. We DO always call him 'Ron Paul' or 'Doctor Paul'.

liberalnurse
01-20-2011, 12:12 PM

(Pronounced Row Pah)

-t

LOL Remember we used to get the "RuPaul" crap all the time. :eek: By the way, welcome back the "old" icons, plus Matt.

surf
01-20-2011, 12:19 PM
that's my President there - getting out the message of war. it was amazing to hear the convergence of common realization at that point near the end, particularly the bit about Obama being "more of a hawk" than Bush. Joe and the rest, not sure about Mika, implied an obligation to get people talking about war again.

war. that's how we win. it's how we save our country.

"ridiculous wars" - Ron Paul

leipo
01-20-2011, 12:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opY2GijHu_Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opY2GijHu_Q

lester1/2jr
01-20-2011, 12:24 PM
I like that BUchanan and Paul come off as hip radicals and the two internet news people as old fogies.

PermanentSleep
01-20-2011, 12:29 PM
"And this should bring us all together, I mean all spectra if they care about their country that we ought to be talking about it."

Damn straight.

Romulus
01-20-2011, 12:30 PM
At the end, they ALL agree we need to come home... both sides. I think this is a point that needs to be hammered home in the debates.

tangent4ronpaul
01-20-2011, 12:37 PM
Ew.

Sorry, but ..... Ew.

Well, we could always call him The Doc, or god forbid: "Mr Clappers".... :rolleyes:

-t

specsaregood
01-20-2011, 12:40 PM
It just is weird when they address him as Ron Paul, and keep referring to him as that. Dr. Paul wouldn't sound weird. or Congressman Paul. or Rep. Paul.

If Barney Frank goes on their show, do they keep referring to him as "Barney Frank"?

PermanentSleep
01-20-2011, 12:49 PM
Maybe all of us chanting Ron Paul Ron Paul Ron Paul a hundred billion times, plus the Who is Ron Paul? Google Ron Paul campaign, almost all of the signs/letters/etc. etc. etc. using "Ron Paul" happened to make it stick. How many times did you see Paul For President instead of Ron Paul For President? Now, he IS "Ron Paul". It's almost as if the two names have fused into one.

Deborah K
01-20-2011, 01:03 PM
Wow! That was a good segment. I wonder if there is any way we can use this to our advantage. Could Huffington and Brown possibly be made into allies somehow - and hence their public? What would happen, I wonder, if we started hitting their comment sections with complimentary statements about how nice it is to see people on the left agreeing with Ron Paul's stance on the war, the debt, and the deficit? Or am I being naive?

liberalnurse
01-20-2011, 01:05 PM
Maybe all of us chanting Ron Paul Ron Paul Ron Paul a hundred billion times, plus the Who is Ron Paul? Google Ron Paul campaign, almost all of the signs/letters/etc. etc. etc. using "Ron Paul" happened to make it stick. How many times did you see Paul For President instead of Ron Paul For President? Now, he IS "Ron Paul". It's almost as if the two names have fused into one.

This. Ron Paul.

ClayTrainor
01-20-2011, 01:13 PM
That was great. It felt good to see every single person coming together on the war issue, regardless of ideology.

BenIsForRon
01-20-2011, 01:14 PM
Wow! That was a good segment. I wonder if there is any way we can use this to our advantage. Could Huffington and Brown possibly be made into allies somehow - and hence their public? What would happen, I wonder, if we started hitting their comment sections with complimentary statements about how nice it is to see people on the left agreeing with Ron Paul's stance on the war, the debt, and the deficit? Or am I being naive?

You're not wrong that we have potential allies at the huffington post... it's just going to take way more than posting comments on their blogs to get them to work with us. We have to get people like Arianna Huffington to call upon their readers to unite with libertarians to become a political force, and vice versa. Otherwise we're just agreeing with each other from time to time on the internet.

We need to take the logical next step, given the dire straits we're in. Progressotarians 2012!

sailingaway
01-20-2011, 01:17 PM

There are some attempts at a left right coalition on issues where we agree. As a practical matter the only leftist forum I see really open to the idea in comment sections is firedoglake.

I mean, a number of places will SAY they were open, but only firedoglake readers seem to keep the notion in mind on an ongoing basis, that I have seen. And Huffington is a selective issue ally, only.

Deborah K
01-20-2011, 01:28 PM
You're not wrong that we have potential allies at the huffington post... it's just going to take way more than posting comments on their blogs to get them to work with us. We have to get people like Arianna Huffington to call upon their readers to unite with libertarians to become a political force, and vice versa. Otherwise we're just agreeing with each other from time to time on the internet.

We need to take the logical next step, given the dire straits we're in. Progressotarians 2012!

I would agree that we need to find common ground with the opposition and I think the wars and the economy are the common ground. How would we go about calling on Huffington to get her readers to find common ground with us? I may be wrong but I think the comments section is a good place to start and maybe hitting other left leaning forums with the same message of uniting behind an idea like focusing on the wars and the economy. Btw, I'm not a libertarian, and I would like to see us focus on creating unity over ideas without making the labels a focus. Iow, I would be opposed to this approach: "How about you liberals join us libertarians on......."

Deborah K
01-20-2011, 01:32 PM
There are some attempts at a left right coalition on issues where we agree. As a practical matter the only leftist forum I see really open to the idea in comment sections is firedoglake.

I mean, a number of places will SAY they were open, but only firedoglake readers seem to keep the notion in mind on an ongoing basis, that I have seen. And Huffington is a selective issue ally, only.

I think perhaps one of our goals should be to try and unify the various factions (for lack of a better word). Is there a list of opposition forums, blog sites, etc.?

BenIsForRon
01-20-2011, 01:40 PM
BTW Deborah, to expand on my earlier point, what Arianna needs to do is the same kind of thing Napalitano did when he had on Dr. Paul and Ralph Nader the other day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwIZ4syCFLc

THIS is the kind of thing that could create the potential we need. Right now only Napalitano and Gerald Celente are really pushing this, but if we had more people from the right and left (Huffington, Democracy Now, Reason, etc.) then a true coalition would be much more likely.

And you are right about the comments section, but I would have to add that we really need a critical mass of posters, not just one here and two there, otherwise we get drowned out in the noise. All the big blogs on Huffington post have thousands of comments. We'd need at least 100 dedicated commenters to even begin to be noticed.

Romulus
01-20-2011, 01:40 PM
The wars, out of control spending, bailouts and ending the Fed are strong points to unite on.

Deborah K
01-20-2011, 01:44 PM
And Huffington is a selective issue ally, only.

That's okay if she and her public are selective issue allies only. We don't have to agree on everything, but if we can agree on getting the US the hell outta the wars, and that the debt and the deficit need to come way down, it can only be a good thing. Divisiveness is tearing our country asunder, we have to try to come together on issues that effect all of us. The Ron Paul movement could be instrumental in initiating this.

surf
01-20-2011, 01:46 PM
I think perhaps one of our goals should be to try and unify the various factions (for lack of a better word). Is there a list of opposition forums, blog sites, etc.?
behind an anti-war banner. if you excuse Gary Johnson, Ron is the only anti-war candidate out there. Obama won the anti-war vote by a landslide by somehow cultivating a peace message while not denying his war strategy. if we can make everyone aware that Obama is a fierce hawk and that we are pissing away gobs of money - we have the winning message.

imo, this is the simplest and most appealing message to portray. from there we continue to make inroads with either civil liberties or monetary debasement, depending on the crowd.

Deborah K
01-20-2011, 01:56 PM
BTW Deborah, to expand on my earlier point, what Arianna needs to do is the same kind of thing Napalitano did when he had on Dr. Paul and Ralph Nader the other day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwIZ4syCFLc

THIS is the kind of thing that could create the potential we need. Right now only Napalitano and Gerald Celente are really pushing this, but if we had more people from the right and left (Huffington, Democracy Now, Reason, etc.) then a true coalition would be much more likely.

And you are right about the comments section, but I would have to add that we really need a critical mass of posters, not just one here and two there, otherwise we get drowned out in the noise. All the big blogs on Huffington post have thousands of comments. We'd need at least 100 dedicated commenters to even begin to be noticed.

Great interview! I wish I had Fox Business so I could watch the Judge. I think I'll send this to HuffPo. ;)

Matt Collins
01-20-2011, 02:04 PM
I remember back in '07, '08 I read a comment by a journalist that said somehting like, His supporters never call him by his last name only. It's always Ron Paul. :)At the recent swearing in ceremony a friend of mine went up to Ron and asked him "should we call you Congressman or Chairman now"? Ron kinda laughed and said "just call me Ron" :)

Deborah K
01-20-2011, 02:04 PM
behind an anti-war banner. if you excuse Gary Johnson, Ron is the only anti-war candidate out there. Obama won the anti-war vote by a landslide by somehow cultivating a peace message while not denying his war strategy. if we can make everyone aware that Obama is a fierce hawk and that we are pissing away gobs of money - we have the winning message.

imo, this is the simplest and most appealing message to portray. from there we continue to make inroads with either civil liberties or monetary debasement, depending on the crowd.

You're right. Even the hawks can't deny that we can't afford these wars.

surf
01-20-2011, 02:34 PM
"Peace, Freedom, and Prosperity"
those of a d disposition will sadly have an easier time connecting these dots than most rs will. while we're gonna need to highlight other issues with our republican peers, this is a particularly easy and appealing argument to make for those that supported a democrat last time around.

georgiaboy
01-20-2011, 05:46 PM
what a great great segment.

The comments about what China's been doing while we've been waging war really struck a salient chord.

ctiger2
01-20-2011, 06:56 PM
Interesting how at 11:30 Ron basically states regardless of the party in charge, someone or something else is dictating our foreign policy. The first group he mentions is the Federal Reserve.

sailingaway
01-20-2011, 07:05 PM
Interesting how at 11:30 Ron basically states regardless of the party in charge, someone or something else is dictating our foreign policy. The first group he mentions is the Federal Reserve.

I think he meant their printing permitted it to occur, across all administrations, so clearly the person in the white house was irrelevant. As he said, it is a shared philosophy of the entire Dem/GOP establishment.

ClayTrainor
01-20-2011, 07:40 PM

That's how it's all paid for, no doubt.

MRoCkEd
01-20-2011, 08:13 PM
Notice how Harold Ford Jr. didn't speak the whole segment?
As a pro-war democrat and political opportunist, he just didn't know what to say.

What was even better was that Joe Lieberman was the next guest on the show.

Pat Buchanan and Arianna Huffington both grilled him over the Iraq war.

CaseyJones
01-20-2011, 08:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n73jq_HXUq8