ronpaulhawaii
01-20-2011, 10:13 AM
I guess it is a Drug War news day...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVP6XuLwcoM

Brett85
01-20-2011, 10:20 AM
I guess it is a Drug War news day...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVP6XuLwcoM

It's meaningless until the federal marijuana laws are repealed.

ronpaulhawaii
01-20-2011, 10:24 AM

Defeatism leads to defeat. If all politics is local, than this bill has merit. Further, the resurgance of "Nullification" adds to the value...

BenIsForRon
01-20-2011, 11:05 AM
Man, they need some potted plants or some flags or something. That is a bleak looking studio.

Jeremy
01-20-2011, 11:11 AM

Not in the least bit.

youngbuck
01-20-2011, 11:12 AM

Uh, no it's not. It's, for the most part, legalized here in CO and it's our number one cash crop.

Keith and stuff
01-20-2011, 11:27 AM
Normally, ME is a very Democratic state but GOPers were swept into control of everything in the Nov election so they is no chance for this to pass this year.

Bruno
01-20-2011, 11:41 AM
Man, they need some pot plants or some flags or something. That is a bleak looking studio.

fixed ;)

Brett85
01-20-2011, 11:45 AM
Uh, no it's not. It's, for the most part, legalized here in CO and it's our number one cash crop.

I had heard that the Feds were even raiding the medical marijuana facilities in Colorado. I'm just saying that we have to get the federal government out of this issue before these state laws will actually stand.

pcosmar
01-20-2011, 11:46 AM

Not at all "meaningless". It is the voice of the people.
Several states are already going that way, It is being considered seriously by many. And it is widely known that the "War on Drugs" is an abject failure.

Dumping these stupid laws is long overdue.

low preference guy
01-20-2011, 12:10 PM

big facepalm.

passing a law that conflicts with the federal government makes confrontation more likely to occur, which also makes more likely for the federal government to give states more autonomy to avoid the confrontation.

Travlyr
01-20-2011, 12:16 PM
Would this bill legalize industrial hemp?

Is it a "War on Drugs," or a "War on Petroleum's Competition?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abneijJWRys

Brett85
01-20-2011, 12:16 PM
which also makes more likely for the federal government to give states more autonomy to avoid the confrontation.

BS. That has NEVER happened. Prior to California's vote to legalize marijuana, Eric Holder flat out said that the federal government wouldn't let the law stand. Both Republican and Democrat politicians support the federal war on drugs and oppose states' rights on this issue. The only way that the states will ever be allowed to pass laws like this is if we elect more politicians like Rand Paul and Mike Lee who actually support the 10th amendment across the board.

low preference guy
01-20-2011, 12:29 PM
BS. That has NEVER happened. Prior to California's vote to legalize marijuana, Eric Holder flat out said that the federal government wouldn't let the law stand. Both Republican and Democrat politicians support the federal war on drugs and oppose states' rights on this issue. The only way that the states will ever be allowed to pass laws like this is if we elect more politicians like Rand Paul and Mike Lee who actually support the 10th amendment across the board.

yes. that will never happen. we should just give up. stop passing laws legalizing marijuana. stop passing penalties for federal officials who try to enforce the health care law. just GIVE THE FUCK UP! THE SOLUTION TO OUR PROBLEMS WILL COME FROM WASHINGTON OR THEY WILL NEVER BE SOLVED! EVERYTHING ELSE IS BULLSHIT!

BenIsForRon
01-20-2011, 01:01 PM

Man, you are so... so wrong. You aren't thinking about a lot of things here, including: the public perception of a police action from the federal government that attempts to reverse state law, the potential conflict that would arise between state and federal law officials, and whether or not the federal government finds such a conflict worth their effort, given the logistical and public perception issues.

If Maine legalizes weed, there is nothing the federal government can do.

Brett85
01-20-2011, 01:03 PM
Man, you are so... so wrong. You aren't thinking about a lot of things here, including: the public perception of a police action from the federal government that attempts to reverse state law, the potential conflict that would arise between state and federal law officials, and whether or not the federal government finds such a conflict worth their effort, given the logistical and public perception issues.

I'm not saying that I'm opposed to the state law. I'm just saying that getting rid of the federal drug laws should be a priority as well. The federal drug war is still alive and well.

BenIsForRon
01-20-2011, 01:08 PM
I'm not saying that I'm opposed to the state law. I'm just saying that getting rid of the federal drug laws should be a priority as well. The federal drug war is still alive and well.

We never accused you of being opposed to it. You're just completely wrong that it would be meaningless. It would actually be the opposite, it could be a catalyst for legalization across the country. The federal laws would be essentially nullified.

CaseyJones
01-20-2011, 01:13 PM
Would this bill legalize industrial hemp?

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?196428-Vote-Hemp-Update-Maine-passes-hemp-farming-bill

Maine already has legal hemp

nobody's_hero
01-20-2011, 03:19 PM
Thread title is a bit misleading.

This is just a bill. Bills do not equal laws.

I would say this is meaningless until it passes into law by the Maine state government.

Georgia had a bill to tax the Federal Reserve branch in Atlanta in the same manner that every mom-and-pop community bank is taxed. But alas, bills are not laws.

Kotin
01-20-2011, 03:22 PM

Bullshit.

Brett85
01-20-2011, 03:23 PM
Bullshit.

Lol. Join the club.

CaseyJones
01-20-2011, 08:51 PM
bump

Travlyr
01-20-2011, 08:56 PM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?196428-Vote-Hemp-Update-Maine-passes-hemp-farming-bill

Maine already has legal hemp

Nice to know! :cool:

Anti Federalist
01-20-2011, 09:31 PM

Huh?

What in the world makes you think that the Feds will not continue raids and busts regardless of what the state law says?

Just a few examples of people raided by Feds while growing MM within their state following the legal guidelines for doing so.

Keep in mind, that in every one of these cases posted, no arrests were made!

The feds know they can't make a criminal case, so they just come and bust the joint up, steal all the cash and supplies and leave.

http://www.mlive.com/news/saginaw/index.ssf/2010/07/druge_enforcement_agents_raid.html

http://www.420magazine.com/forums/international-cannabis-news/114686-feds-raid-hawaii-cannabis-ministry.html

http://www.420magazine.com/forums/international-cannabis-news/132819-feds-raid-okemos-medical-marijuana-building.html

http://www.420magazine.com/forums/international-cannabis-news/69720-feds-raid-downtown-l-medical-marijuana-dispensary.html

Brett85
01-20-2011, 09:34 PM
Huh?

What in the world makes you think that the Feds will not continue raids and busts regardless of what the state law says?

That's exactly what I was saying and was getting bashed for. There's no way in the world the DEA is going to stop their raids.

JoshLowry
01-20-2011, 09:39 PM
There is a tipping point when x number of states have passed laws.

It's nearly useless to fight the federal laws because they are so much harder to amend.

I think that's the point they were trying to make TC.

dannno
01-20-2011, 09:42 PM

I for one (literally ;)) COMPLETELY agree :collins: :collins:

dannno
01-20-2011, 09:43 PM
The double Collins means I'm bs'ing btw. Ya, raids may continue, but it will lead to a confrontation and I think that means something.

Anti Federalist
01-20-2011, 09:48 PM
That's exactly what I was saying and was getting bashed for. There's no way in the world the DEA is going to stop their raids.

Well, to be truthful, you said:

I don't think passing statewide legalization is "meaningless" except for the poor sons of bitches caught up in these raids.

It sets an important legal precedent so it's not truly meaningless.

But I agree, the Feds are not going to back down just because a state "passes a law".

See the Feds reaction to Firearms Freedom laws being passed to see just what they think of the Mundanes throwing off the slightest bit of their control.

Like Josh noted, at some point, a large enough number of states may make the "tipping point" happen, but I even doubt that.

Look at National ID to see how the Feds work around an outright rebellion of a majority of states to comply with Fed edicts.

They just back up, appear to withdraw, and announce the goals in another, completely unrelated scheme at a slightly later date.

AFPVet
01-20-2011, 09:48 PM
States should be able to do whatever they want as long as it does not go against the Constitution. Likewise, the federal government should not interfere with states' rights unless the aforementioned takes place.

libertybrewcity
01-21-2011, 12:39 AM
republican trifecta. no chance this will pass, but maybe something will push through!