PDA

View Full Version : NBC News/WSJ 2012 Poll Shows Ron Paul with 8% Nationally

Epic
01-20-2011, 10:01 AM
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/01/20/usual-suspects-at-the-top-of-the-2012-polls/

Similar results from an NBC News-Wall Street Journal survey that was also released in the past 24 hours. That poll indicates that Romney with the support of 19 percent, followed by Huckabee at 18 percent, Palin at 14 percent, Gingrich at ten percent, and Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, who made a bid for the last GOP presidential nomination, at eight percent. Everyone else is at five percent or lower.

Meanwhile, the ABC/Washington Post 2012 Poll included 14 politicians, however they FORGOT to include Ron Paul.
(http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/polls/postpoll_01172011.html, question 37 for results)

Bern
01-20-2011, 10:06 AM
8% nationally isn't a bad starting point. 14% for Palin is ripe grounds for picking IMO. She won't survive a primary if she elects to run and I suspect her base is largely antagonistic to the GOP old guard.

gls
01-20-2011, 10:08 AM
Maybe I'm just being petty but why would they go out of their way to point out that Paul "made a bid for the last GOP presidential nomination" when the same thing is true of both Romney and Huckabee?

Rhetorical question, of course it's to make Paul look bad/like a perennial candidate.

driller80545
01-20-2011, 10:09 AM
What in the world about Romney and Huckabee appeals to so many people?

Epic
01-20-2011, 10:14 AM
After winning CPAC 2011, Ron Paul better be included in all the 2012 polls.

How could ABC/WaPo leave him out, when he usually polls in 5th place?

UtahApocalypse
01-20-2011, 10:20 AM

Romney's hair, and Huckabee's Religion

Fredom101
01-20-2011, 10:21 AM

The Christian Cultists will vote Huckabee even if it turns out he was a murderer. Romney has the mormon vote, a lot of the female repub vote (his good looks + pro choice stance), and some of the old time Republicans who think we need "a businessman" in the white house.

It's a really tough road for RP unfortunately, there's a snowball's chance in HELL that the above voters will change their minds on any significant level.

erowe1
01-20-2011, 11:01 AM

The fact that they were the #2 and #3 Republicans in the 2008 primaries. They put in a good showing then, so now it's their turn to win. When they ran last time, they bought themselves more national name recognition than any of the other 2012 candidates. That's the way it usually works. When McCain lost to Bush in 2000, he automatically became the presumed front-runner for 2008, which he remained up until 2007, when others got their campaigns going. Same thing happened with Reagan, and really Bob Dole too, though he had to wait for Reagan and his VP to take their turns before he was next in line.

sailingaway
01-20-2011, 11:04 AM
Maybe I'm just being petty but why would they go out of their way to point out that Paul "made a bid for the last GOP presidential nomination" when the same thing is true of both Romney and Huckabee?

Rhetorical question, of course it's to make Paul look bad/like a perennial candidate.

Because the ABC WAPO poll, cited first, didn't even include Ron: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/polls/postpoll_01172011.html

They are trying to pretend it isn't important, that he was only included in the second one 'because he ran last time, you know, so they're including everyone....'

Snort!!

These idiots don't even know how to read a poll. the ABC WAPO poll DIDN'T give those numbers as polls of voters for those candidates, it asked people if they were dems or gop or leaned one way or the other, then asked those who LEANED GOP for whom they would vote amongst listed candidates (Ron not on the list). I think they were just trying to see what those who WEREN'T GOP but were leaning that way were looking for, seeing them as swing voters, but the poll is of a subset of a subset, making the margin of error for that question highly questionable:

37. (ASKED OF LEANED REPUBLICANS) I’m going to read a list of possible candidates for the Republican nomination for president in 2012. After you hear the list, please tell me, if the 2012 Republican presidential primary or caucus in your state were being held today, for whom would you vote? Which candidate would you lean toward?

NET LEANED VOTE

1/16/11 7/18/09
Mike Huckabee 21 26
Sarah Palin 19 19
Mitt Romney 17 21
Newt Gingrich 9 10
Chris Christie 8 NA
Rick Perry 3 NA
Mitch Daniels 2 NA
Tim Pawlenty 2 4
Mike Pence 2 NA
Haley Barbour 1 1
Jim DeMint 1 NA
Jon Huntsman 1 NA
Rick Santorum 1 NA
John Thune * NA
Other (vol.) 1 2
None of these (vol.) 6 5
Would not vote (vol.) * 1
No opinion 6 6

MegD4Freedom
01-20-2011, 01:19 PM
Couldn't have nailed it more precisely.

JenH88
01-20-2011, 01:43 PM
:D cmon Ron let us goo.. i remember how much we had to fight to get the official and admitted numbers up to 8-10%.. this is a great starting point!

qh4dotcom
01-20-2011, 02:03 PM

The stupid concept that folks aren't wasting their vote because those two can win.