PDA

View Full Version : Do CFCs do anything? And if so, does the Ozone Layer actually protect us from radiation?

JacobR248
01-20-2011, 06:37 AM
You've all heard it in schools that CFCs were horrible and were destroying the Ozone layer.

Is there actually scientific opposition to this issue (not a website with an argument backed by ad hominem) or is this universally agreed on?

JacobR248
01-20-2011, 06:43 AM
I don't have any real information on CFCs and the Ozone layer besides that in the media, so I was hoping for a different opinion.

NYgs23
01-20-2011, 01:56 PM
I've heard so much conflicting info on this and other environmental issues that I've given up trying to get to the bottom of it. Unfortunately, no one is unbiased about this stuff, so you can't know who to trust and who can sift through all the data, assuming the data itself is even accurate and trustworthy.

In the end, any opinion on it will be rooted in trust in authority, and only the gullible sort of person trusts the authority of the "scientific community," which, like the rest of academia, is joined at the hip with the Establishment. Then again, anti-establishment "skeptics" are just as biased and just as human and are likely to just use any old argument against it.

So I just leave the "scientific" questions aside and focus on the fundamental logic that a free society rooted in private property, voluntary interaction, and the non-aggression principle will almost certainly be a much better mechanism for preserving natural resources than a coercive and monopolistic bureaucracy.

amy31416
01-20-2011, 02:03 PM
I did some research on this long ago, and there is merit to the theory that CFC's do harm the ozone layer--I'd have to dig up some seriously old articles though...this was prior to environmental science becoming heavily politicized.

JacobR248
01-20-2011, 03:31 PM
After reading a little about how the ozone hole in the poles work, I found out that during the winter for the poles th at the holes get larger. Apparently the holes changing in size are more affected by the change in season, than human made CFCs. I'll look more into this though.

Suzu
01-21-2011, 12:57 AM
Radioactivity is the most destructive thing to the ozone layer. Tanks of industrial ozone gas when accidentally exposed to radiation downwind from Rocky Flats changed into plain oxygen.