PDA

View Full Version : Police seize guns for online comment, "1 down, 534 to go."

Philhelm
01-19-2011, 08:53 PM
http://www.wickedlocal.com/arlington/newsnow/x684392703/Arlington-police-seize-comic-blogger-s-guns

Arlington, Mass. — After being notified of Arlington resident Travis Corcoran’s controversial blog post in which he implied members of Congress ought to be shot, the Arlington Police Department (APD) has placed a suspension on his license to carry firearms and seized all of his weapons.

Corcoran wrote and uploaded a post to his blog, tjic.com, following the Jan. 8 shooting of United States Rep. Gabrielle Giffords in Tuscan titled “1 down, 534 to go,” suggesting the other 534 members of Congress should be next. In an interview with the Advocate after the post gained wide attention on the Internet but before police became involved, Corcoran compared his post to a joke made among a group of friends in a casual setting.

APD Capt. Robert Bongiorno said the department took his statements made in the blog as a credible threat and took precautionary measures. The weapons were seized Jan. 13.

“Officers took a large amount of weapons and ammunition. Currently, we are working with federal law enforcement partners and the case remains an active and open investigation,” he said.

An “About TJIC” section of the blog suggested Corcoran may have owned around 10 guns. His license was issued out of Arlington.

Bongiorno said Corcoran has a 90-day window in which he can appeal the suspension in court. Corcoran declined to comment on the investigation in a follow-up call Tuesday night.

In his interview last week, Corcoran said while he did not regret the blog post, he does not actually believe violence against politicians is an effective method of reforming government.

Well, here we go folks. It seems that the man didn't even threaten anybody, but just made the sort of comment that I'd imagine many have thought if not uttered. Would putting a politician on a deadpool list be considered threatening as well?

tangent4ronpaul
01-19-2011, 09:47 PM
But this works sooo much better!

http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?p=863391

http://z.about.com/d/altreligion/1/0/x/nidstang.jpg

I do know that severed horse heads were put on large branches and pointed towards a specific person's home in the form of a curse. The word for it is Nidstang.

"Nidstang means, literally, "curse pole." The nidstang (sometimes called a "Nithing Pole," or "niding pole") is an ancient Scandinavian custom of formal cursing or hexing someone. A wooden pole or stake was inscribed with the intended consequence and erected with a ceremony. A horse's head or carcass was placed atop the pole in the facing in the direction one wished to send the curse. Today, the nidstang is more likely to be virtual- an internet curse accompanied by a virtual horse's head (I'm sure the horses are relieved)."

==

Oh GOD! - did I just get put on ANOTHER list? :rolleyes:

-t

dannno
01-19-2011, 09:51 PM
“1 down, 534 to go,”

There are 536 members of congress :confused:

tangent4ronpaul
01-19-2011, 09:55 PM
You're including the VP, right?

-t

oyarde
01-19-2011, 09:56 PM
But this works sooo much better!

http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?p=863391

http://z.about.com/d/altreligion/1/0/x/nidstang.jpg

I do know that severed horse heads were put on large branches and pointed towards a specific person's home in the form of a curse. The word for it is Nidstang.

"Nidstang means, literally, "curse pole." The nidstang (sometimes called a "Nithing Pole," or "niding pole") is an ancient Scandinavian custom of formal cursing or hexing someone. A wooden pole or stake was inscribed with the intended consequence and erected with a ceremony. A horse's head or carcass was placed atop the pole in the facing in the direction one wished to send the curse. Today, the nidstang is more likely to be virtual- an internet curse accompanied by a virtual horse's head (I'm sure the horses are relieved)."

==

Oh GOD! - did I just get put on ANOTHER list? :rolleyes:

-t

I like it , cursed with a dead animal hide on a stick , very innovative !

dannno
01-19-2011, 09:56 PM
You're including the VP, right?

-t

No, I'm trying to NOT include Ron Paul, in, umm, their number :collins:

dannno
01-19-2011, 10:00 PM
Not that I think the author is a Ron Paul supporter...

But ya, I would like to see all of congress except Ron Paul fired, that's for sure.

Hopefully the government won't show up to my work now and take away my personnel management authority :collins:

HazyHusky420
01-19-2011, 10:07 PM
I wonder what would happen if someone like Chaim Pesach threatened to kill Ron Paul. If they did anything they would probably try and slack off as much as possible.

dannno
01-19-2011, 10:09 PM
^rofl, +rep

dannno
01-19-2011, 10:11 PM
//

Anti Federalist
01-19-2011, 11:36 PM
Well, here we go folks. It seems that the man didn't even threaten anybody, but just made the sort of comment that I'd imagine many have thought if not uttered. Would putting a politician on a deadpool list be considered threatening as well?

Some things to take away from this:

This is what happens when you have a "license" from the state to exercise a right.

Keep in mind, that, at least according to the article, no charges were filed and no "crime" committed. They just stole his property and left it up to the owner to supplicate himself in front of the state and attempt to get his property back.

All four comments are glad the cops did this. The mundanes get gunned down on a daily basis but cheer the enforcers on. Boobus will not help us, Boobus, in fact, would be much happier seeing us all strung up.

TWIC and National ID. Keep in mind as these "permit to work" cards become more and more integrated into the system, a comment like the one who got our buddy here disarmed will disqualify you from TWIC or National ID.

No job for you anymore.

And people have the nerve to call me "paranoid" and "negative".

Philhelm
01-20-2011, 11:00 AM
Some things to take away from this:

This is what happens when you have a "license" from the state to exercise a right.

Keep in mind, that, at least according to the article, no charges were filed and no "crime" committed. They just stole his property and left it up to the owner to supplicate himself in front of the state and attempt to get his property back.

All four comments are glad the cops did this. The mundanes get gunned down on a daily basis but cheer the enforcers on. Boobus will not help us, Boobus, in fact, would be much happier seeing us all strung up.

TWIC and National ID. Keep in mind as these "permit to work" cards become more and more integrated into the system, a comment like the one who got our buddy here disarmed will disqualify you from TWIC or National ID.

No job for you anymore.

And people have the nerve to call me "paranoid" and "negative".

You should be paranoid and negative. The man in this article can say something that many would consider distastful, yet with no real threat of action behind his comment, and have his property seized without any due process whatsoever. Then the burden of proof to reclaim his property is placed upon him. Everything ties together; all one has to do is connect the dots. I have no doubt that we'll have a National ID or a TWIC in the near future. With the emerging police state, I won't be surprised if in the future this would result in the inability to purchase firearms, to fly on an airplane, or to receive a work permit. What is a man to do if his livlihood is infringed by the state? May as well lock him up at that point...or put a bullet in him (better dead than enslaved).