PDA

View Full Version : Rep. Ron Paul on a 2012 Senate run: 'It's certainly crossed my mind'

RonPaulFanInGA
01-19-2011, 08:11 PM
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/senate-races/138943-rep-ron-paul-on-12-senate-run-its-crossed-my-mind

Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas) says a new poll that shows him a a top choice among Texas Republicans to run for Senate has him thinking about the race.

The poll found Dewhurst to be the top choice of Republicans, garnering 23 percent support. But Paul was right behind him as the pick of 21 percent of GOP voters.

The two-time presidential candidate stressed that his potential interest in a Senate seat wasn't anything new, but admitted the poll numbers had peaked his interest.

Paul said "a lot of people" brought the numbers to his attention Wednesday.

"I was surprised," he said of the poll results, quickly adding that a run for the Senate has crossed his mind several times in the past, "so I don't know that it means much."

Paul is also a rumored presidential candidate in 2012, but said he has made no decisions on anything just yet.

QueenB4Liberty
01-19-2011, 08:13 PM
Of course it's crossed his mind, but the Presidency and keeping his house seat are more important.

sailingaway
01-19-2011, 08:14 PM
Yeah. Saw it. Almost left comments. Then I thought...... let the guy enjoy the moment. I don't think he wants Senate instead of House with his committee, once he thinks it through.

muzzled dogg
01-19-2011, 08:18 PM
:o

MelissaCato
01-19-2011, 08:19 PM
Ron Paul and the Judge 2012 !!!!!

Brett85
01-19-2011, 08:22 PM
Yeah. Saw it. Almost left comments. Then I thought...... let the guy enjoy the moment. I don't think he wants Senate instead of House with his committee, once he thinks it through.

I don't really think the committee is as big of a deal as everybody makes it out to be. He won't be able to end the fed as the chairman of this committee or even get an audit. Anything that he can actually do he can get done in two years I'm sure. I would rather see him in the Senate where each member has much more power than house members do. One Senator can hold up legislation in the Senate.

Zatch
01-19-2011, 08:23 PM
He should run for governor.

speciallyblend
01-19-2011, 08:23 PM
Neo-cons and gop establishment fully support a ron paul senate run!! on that note Ron Paul 2012!!!

HazyHusky420
01-19-2011, 08:25 PM
Neo-cons and gop establishment fully support a ron paul senate run!!

And an independent or LP run for the presidency.

RonPaulFanInGA
01-19-2011, 08:26 PM

Run for Governor of Texas in 2014 while being the sitting President? Interesting idea...:p

sailingaway
01-19-2011, 08:29 PM
I don't really think the committee is as big of a deal as everybody makes it out to be. He won't be able to end the fed as the chairman of this committee or even get an audit. Anything that he can actually do he can get done in two years I'm sure. I would rather see him in the Senate where each member has much more power than house members do. One Senator can hold up legislation in the Senate.

You know the Dems currently plan to change the filibuster so that won't happen any more, and have 'recessed' instead of adjourned the 'first' legislative day so they could have the recess to pressure for votes? That they plan to use a procedural rule not used since WWI to have a mere majority ban the filibuster? Right now they are using Rand as the poster child for why the filibuster needs to be banned, and I have never SEEN Rand act so meek and mild (well, except for the $500 billion in cuts and ending the Dept of Ed, but that isn't a filibuster issue.)

I agree his vote would mean more in the Senate, but NO ONE will subpoena records from the Fed if he goes, because he won't have seniority in the senate nor even the ability to pick his committees.

I will support Ron for whichever he wants, no question, of course.

JRegs85
01-19-2011, 08:34 PM
Wow...he's polling incredibly close!

Brett85
01-19-2011, 08:37 PM
You know the Dems currently plan to change the filibuster so that won't happen any more, and have 'recessed' instead of adjourned the 'first' legislative day so they could have the recess to pressure for votes? That they plan to use a procedural rule not used since WWI to have a mere majority ban the filibuster? Right now they are using Rand as the poster child for why the filibuster needs to be banned, and I have never SEEN Rand act so meek and mild (well, except for the $500 billion in cuts and ending the Dept of Ed, but that isn't a filibuster issue.)

I agree his vote would mean more in the Senate, but NO ONE will subpoena records from the Fed if he goes, because he won't have seniority in the senate nor even the ability to pick his committees.

I will support Ron for whichever he wants, no question, of course.

Well it remains to be seen whether the Democrats will actually go through with that. Many of them are up for re-election in 2012, and it would be political suicide for them to abolish the filibuster. From what I heard they were simply talking about "changing the filibuster rules" to actually make a Senator speak on the Senate floor in order to actually filibuster a bill. That wouldn't mean that there wouldn't be any more filibusters, but it would just be harder to do.

MelissaCato
01-19-2011, 08:48 PM
Ron Paul 2012 !!!!

BarryDonegan
01-19-2011, 08:53 PM
I wonder what would happen if Ron Paul had the power to filibuster.

MelissaCato
01-19-2011, 09:01 PM
Or the CIC 2012 !!!!
Ya, they sceeeered. LOL
YeeeeeeHawwwwww. !!!

sailingaway
01-19-2011, 09:32 PM
Well it remains to be seen whether the Democrats will actually go through with that. Many of them are up for re-election in 2012, and it would be political suicide for them to abolish the filibuster. From what I heard they were simply talking about "changing the filibuster rules" to actually make a Senator speak on the Senate floor in order to actually filibuster a bill. That wouldn't mean that there wouldn't be any more filibusters, but it would just be harder to do.

The bottom line is they are talking about instead of having one Senator able to create a filibuster 60 must vote down, as we do now, it will take 40 Senators to create the filibuster and keep arguing on the floor (meaning eventually they'll quit, whereas now, the burden is on the other side to muster 60 votes to end it.) So Rand would have to find 39 other Senators willing to, say, filibuster the Patriot Act. Ron could certainly be one, but they'd still need 38 more.

Essentially, it would become more of just a stunt, and would take 'consensus'.

TNforPaul45
01-19-2011, 09:37 PM
+ :collins:

Brian4Liberty
01-19-2011, 10:07 PM
Wow...he's polling incredibly close!

Right now he is. But what happens if DeMint endorses a different candidate?

Who remembers the 2010 Indiana Senate Primary race? DeMint endorsed Stutzman, who split votes with Ron Paul supported Hostettler, leaving establishment candidate Coats the winner...

sailingaway
01-19-2011, 10:16 PM

Who remembers the 2010 Indiana Senate Primary race? DeMint endorsed Stutzman, who split votes with Ron Paul supported Hostettler, leaving establishment candidate Coats the winner...

Yeah, except De Mint is talking about Williams who is polling at something like 3%, right?

But that is exactly what I have been saying. We win when we pull together, typically.

FSP-Rebel
01-19-2011, 10:19 PM
This thread should end.

doodle
01-19-2011, 11:08 PM
If Ron is not inclined, can he force Robert Paul to run at least lol

Either won of them would have a solid shot at Senate seat, this will generate huge momentum, money bombs and excitement.

Flirple
01-20-2011, 01:24 AM

This

Matt Collins
01-20-2011, 01:38 AM
+ :collins:
What is that supposed to mean?!?!

anaconda
01-20-2011, 01:45 AM
And an independent or LP run for the presidency.

Not so sure about that. Ron can hand the election to the Democrat (Obama?) if he runs as a third party. I don't think the GOP wants that.

anaconda
01-20-2011, 01:48 AM
More new history: father and son in the senate at the same time? Has this ever happened? But I prefer father as President with son in the senate!

itshappening
01-20-2011, 05:24 AM

the difference is in a GOP primary Ron would be all over the airwaves 24/7 in TX as he would have millions in campaign funding and DeMint would stay out of it