PDA

View Full Version : Insects are the food of the future, Dutch scientists say

Patriotxi
01-19-2011, 06:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmoMppU-N_4

low preference guy
01-19-2011, 06:14 PM
will the human-hating folks then argue for "animal rights" for insects?

speciallyblend
01-19-2011, 06:15 PM
must be a video nothing in the ops screen to see at my work puter! anyone know of a good insect reference eating book??

tangent4ronpaul
01-19-2011, 06:20 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_jUdBfsBG0oM/SEBVx14wNxI/AAAAAAAABq8/SNQj0xazJso/s400/Shrek.jpg

I like the green crunchy ones myself.

Patriotxi
01-19-2011, 06:48 PM
me too!

muzzled dogg
01-19-2011, 06:50 PM
i dont fuck with anything with a exoskeleton

oyarde
01-19-2011, 06:51 PM

Not unless I have to .

tangent4ronpaul
01-19-2011, 06:58 PM

We'll be sure to save you the worms. Yes, I know worms are not technically insects.

Oh, and the larvae! Insects pre-exoskeleton!

:D

-t

oyarde
01-19-2011, 07:00 PM
If that is the future , sounds grim ...

amy31416
01-19-2011, 07:00 PM
will the human-hating folks then argue for "animal rights" for insects?

Some of them already do, and don't eat honey because it "exploits" bees.

CountryboyRonPaul
01-19-2011, 07:01 PM
Well, I don't know about insects, but....

http://www.zatarains.com/~/media/Images/Sites/Zatarains/Recipe%20Pages/Recipe%20Detail/Main-Dish/Easy-Boiled-Crawfish.ashx

oyarde
01-19-2011, 07:02 PM

I never thought of myself as a bee exploiter . Oh well , I can live with it .

HazyHusky420
01-19-2011, 07:02 PM
If that is the future , sounds grim ...

Insects are eaten in many cultures. I don't want to eat insects either but I don't get the shock.

oyarde
01-19-2011, 07:06 PM
Insects are eaten in many cultures. I don't want to eat insects either but I don't get the shock.

Yes I am aware .

oyarde
01-19-2011, 07:07 PM

http://www.zatarains.com/~/media/Images/Sites/Zatarains/Recipe%20Pages/Recipe%20Detail/Main-Dish/Easy-Boiled-Crawfish.ashx

Cajun crayfish ?

torchbearer
01-19-2011, 07:08 PM

the crawfish season is only a couple months away!

Yieu
01-19-2011, 07:08 PM
I would rather starve to death than eat any sort of creature, living or dead. In all actuality, I would probably starve rather than forsake my religious principles preventing me from partaking flesh, if it came down to it.

low preference guy
01-19-2011, 07:09 PM
I would rather starve to death than eat any sort of creature, living or dead. In all actuality, I would probably starve rather than forsake my religious principles if it came down to it.

so you don't eat plants or animals? what do you eat?

torchbearer
01-19-2011, 07:09 PM
Cajun crayfish ?

cajun crayfish?
those mud bugs are crawfish. ;)

CountryboyRonPaul
01-19-2011, 07:12 PM
the crawfish season is only a couple months away!

I'm having withdrawals!

HazyHusky420
01-19-2011, 07:13 PM

I don't think plants count as creatures.

Yieu
01-19-2011, 07:14 PM

Do you consider plants to be "creatures"? I used that word because it was a more general way of saying animals/insects/mammals/non-mammals in the air/land/sea.

I eat grains, vegetables, fruits, nuts, milk, and honey. So, plants and milk, for religious reasons. :)

Yeah, I don't get the no honey or no milk thing. Bees and cows produce excess milk and honey for human consumption. It is designed that way by God's plan. :) Anything I might need that also happens to be in flesh, God has provided for me in milk.

HazyHusky420
01-19-2011, 07:17 PM
Do you consider plants to be "creatures"? I used that word because it was a more general way of saying animals/insects/mammals/non-mammals in the air/land/sea.

Plants are technically alive. That's what he's trying to use against you.

God forbid this turns into a debate. Both pro and anti-meat people can be very annoying.

sailingaway
01-19-2011, 07:21 PM
I think we should test it first on a couple of generations of Dutch scientists....

HazyHusky420
01-19-2011, 07:24 PM
I think we should test it first on a couple of generations of Dutch scientists....

Even Dutch scientists that oppose the one in question?

torchbearer
01-19-2011, 07:25 PM
I'm having withdrawals!

Tunks in alexandria has all you can eat crawfish on wednesdays.
how many bugs can you eat?

i could kill five pounds before i get another sip of beer.

oyarde
01-19-2011, 07:25 PM

God forbid this turns into a debate. Both pro and anti-meat people can be very annoying.

I eat meat , but could care less if someone does not .

amy31416
01-19-2011, 07:27 PM

I eat grains, vegetables, fruits, nuts, milk, and honey. So, plants and milk, for religious reasons. :)

Yeah, I don't get the no honey or no milk thing. Bees and cows produce excess milk and honey for human consumption. It is designed that way by God's plan. :) Anything I might need that also happens to be in flesh, God has provided for me in milk.

I respect that.

How do you feel about those former(?) vegans who are proponents of eating roadkill?

One other thing I also don't understand is why some vegans consider people who eat meat to be evil, but tigers, bears and other carnivores are to be protected by any means necessary. Then there's those vegans who have cats as pets and end up putting them on the brink of starvation by trying to feed them a vegan diet. Oh yeah, and what about those who drive cars..which obviously kills a ton of bugs and the occasional bird, reptile or mammal?

I don't necessarily think you have the answers, just sort of wondering how that works as a cohesive philosophy.

sailingaway
01-19-2011, 07:29 PM
Even Dutch scientists that oppose the one in question?

I think the one who proposes it certainly should be the first to live off them.

torchbearer
01-19-2011, 07:30 PM
I respect that.

just sort of wondering how that works as a cohesive philosophy.

I can sum up such a philosophy in one phrase-
All creatures are equal, but some creatures are more equal than others.

Yieu
01-19-2011, 07:37 PM

Yes, they are alive. For the atheistic there are arguments about nervous systems and level of consciousness development, but plants are still both alive and semi-aware, and (this is where it gets religious) the fact that they are alive means they have a soul to animate them -- a soul non-different from our own, which at some point could or could have occupied a human body. However, moral and anti-killing arguments aside, the reason I do not partake in flesh has nothing to do with those arguments and is solely for religious reasons. The Vedic scripture states that it is bad karma/sin (very similar if not same concepts) to even kill plants, but that the Supreme Lord will accept items such as plants, milk, water, flowers as sacrifice, a side effect of which is that the items become purified (offerings are not given to have them purified, but to make a sacrifice to God) and no karmic reaction is suffered. The true reason I do not eat meat is thus because he only accepts certain items in sacrifice, and I only desire to partake in sustenance which has been enjoyed by Him first.

But yeah, I hope this thread does not turn into a pro and anti-meat argument thread as well, as I avoid those threads because they tend to be unpleasant. I have responded so far because questions were asked, but "those threads" are not something I want to get into.

Good one!

HazyHusky420
01-19-2011, 07:38 PM
One other thing I also don't understand is why some vegans consider people who eat meat to be evil, but tigers, bears and other carnivores are to be protected by any means necessary. Then there's those vegans who have cats as pets and end up putting them on the brink of starvation by trying to feed them a vegan diet. Oh yeah, and what about those who drive cars..which obviously kills a ton of bugs and the occasional bird, reptile or mammal?

I don't necessarily think you have the answers, just sort of wondering how that works as a cohesive philosophy.

Not a vegan or vegetarian, but I think the logic could be "two wrongs don't make a right" and "we're better than that".