PDA

View Full Version : College grads lack critical thinking skills, study finds.

BenIsForRon
01-19-2011, 09:50 AM
http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2011/01/18/106949/study-many-college-students-not.html

Many of the students graduated without knowing how to sift fact from opinion, make a clear written argument or objectively review conflicting reports of a situation or event, according to New York University sociologist Richard Arum, lead author of the study. The students, for example, couldn't determine the cause of an increase in neighborhood crime or how best to respond without being swayed by emotional testimony and political spin.

Not surprising in the least, but at least we have a study now that proves it.

College is just a mechanism to determine which adults are best at following orders. If we want to preserve our Republic indefinitely into the future, education has to be a top priority (of the society, not just government).

specsaregood
01-19-2011, 09:53 AM
Are you supposed to learn critical thinking skills in college?

Acala
01-19-2011, 10:15 AM
Mission Accomplished!!!!

fisharmor
01-19-2011, 10:16 AM
Heh. Study.
Speaking of analyzing data...
I got an associate's in IT. I work with a lot of people with master's degrees.
Most of them are no better at analyzing problems and some are significantly worse.
For every two truly great problem solvers with advanced degrees, there's one that has little or no college, and probably one other that got a degree in a totally unrelated field.
The low numbers of uneducated IT employees has more to do with employer discrimination and a tendency for the unschooled not to attempt to get into technical fields, than it has to do with ability.

Gatto is right: anything you need to know you can probably learn as you need it or right before.

Philhelm
01-19-2011, 10:56 AM
There's also the intelligence aspect. Some people are just smarter, and will always be smarter, than others.

sailingaway
01-19-2011, 11:04 AM
Yeah, I saw this and discussed it with my kids. The 'go along' collectivism they are taught in public schools really does stress policy by emotion, and you don't get grades if you don't share the teacher's point of view, typically. I have spoken to them about challenging principles at least mentally, then they can always keep it to themselves. They are also into debate at this point, which requires analyzing and arguing both sides of issues, which I think is helpful.

oyarde
01-19-2011, 08:26 PM
It would take an exceptional Teacher to encourage critical thinking . Probably would need to happen before age 18 , or will be learned on a job, not in higher education.

tangent4ronpaul
01-19-2011, 09:08 PM
Students majoring in business, education (Public Fool System), social work (CPS - State Kidnappers) and communications (Lame Stream Media) showed the least gains in learning

From the Comments:

--College professors and administrators are largely Liberals (72% at state colleges and universities and 87% at "elite" private schools (the ones most public officials / politicians attend) )

Houston, I think we may have just found the problem... :rolleyes:

-t

oyarde
01-19-2011, 09:10 PM
From the Comments:

Houston, I think we may have just found the problem... :rolleyes:

-t

Yeah , they are going to have to pick it up before they get there .

AFPVet
01-19-2011, 09:22 PM
This does not apply to my university! I may agree with the "party school's" though... they can be a joke. My university is one of the most challenging institutions in my state.

coastie
01-19-2011, 09:31 PM
This is my shocked face.:rolleyes:

As a current college student, I can attest this reports validity. My ENG1101 last semester was literally like sitting in a classroom full of middle school students-both behavior wise and their thought processes in general...this semester is no different

Some of the essays these kids wrote were enough to make my head freaking explode.:mad::mad:

Interestingly enough, I was taught critical thinking in the 6th grade-in Louisiana, of all places(they had the one of the worst "education" systems in the US at that time, mid-late 80's). I think in some districts in the US, its still taught-but only as a concept, not a skill to be developed.

PS-old smilies are the bizzle:cool::D:collins: