PDA

View Full Version : Sen. Marco Rubio to ditch Tea Party?

Zatch
01-19-2011, 01:01 AM
http://www.thestatecolumn.com/blog/2011/01/sen-marco-rubio-to-ditch-tea-party/

Fozz
01-19-2011, 03:03 AM
The headline is deceiving, I am not aware of any hard evidence that Rubio will refuse to join the caucus.

nobody's_hero
01-19-2011, 04:31 AM
I'm not convinced he was ever really part of it, aside from the media fluff and some leftover neocon Republican talking-heads who decided who was or wasn't a member of the tea party so they could co-opt the movement.

cindy25
01-19-2011, 04:51 AM
is there a Tea Party? are they Paul libertarians or Palin neo-cons? you can't be both

amy31416
01-19-2011, 04:59 AM
http://floridaindependent.com/19432/marco-rubio-tours-afghanistan-pakistan-stresses-opposition-to-artificial-timeline-for-troop-withdrawal

Rubio tours Afghanistan, Pakistan, stresses opposition to ‘artificial timeline’ for troop withdrawal

By Brett Ader | 01.18.11 | 12:13 pm

In his first official overseas trip, Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., joined Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., and a handful of fellow freshman Republicans in Afghanistan this weekend to meet with U.S. military commanders and Afghan President Hamid Karzai.
In a conference call with reporters held Monday in Kabul, Rubio stressed that while both he and President Obama support the war effort, now in its 10th year, he opposes the timeline for troop withdrawal scheduled to begin this summer:

“I think we are on the timeline this year to have some real good news and make some significant progress,” the Florida Republican said. “But I think if you attach a date to it … you are really creating a difficult situation. The bad guys, the Taliban and even al-Qaida, must know all they have to do is wait.” #
“People want to make sure that we are in this to win this. We are in this for the long haul,” Rubio said. “Everyone on the ground is really enthusiastic about the progress that’s being made…There’s a long ways to go. There’s no way to overestimate how serious the challenge is but we are headed in the right direction.”

Instead of an “artificial timeline,” Rubio suggested instead that progress be gauged by those territories that have successfully established government infrastructure and trained enough Afghan security forces. #
Rubio and his delegation also toured U.S. operations in neighboring Pakistan, which he said is facing “serious and multiple challenges” from religious extremists, adding that American commitments in the region will be “enduring”:

“If there is one thing we heard clear everywhere we went, it’s that people want to make sure that we are in this to win this, that we are in this for the long haul,” Rubio said of a U.S. presence in the region. “We tried to communicate that on behalf our constituents, that the American people are not going to tolerate sanctuaries for al Qaeda or the return of the Taliban to power.” #

vita3
01-19-2011, 06:55 AM
Jeb Bush introduced Rubio for his victory speech.. Have no illusions.

JustinTime
01-19-2011, 07:16 AM
is there a Tea Party? are they Paul libertarians or Palin neo-cons? you can't be both

Yeah, the Tea Party is a thousand different groups some with totally opposite views. The media lumped them all together, I suspect with the intention of smearing all they placed under the umbrella.

speciallyblend
01-19-2011, 07:48 AM
I'm not convinced he was ever really part of it, aside from the media fluff and some leftover neocon Republican talking-heads who decided who was or wasn't a member of the tea party so they could co-opt the movement.

rubio is what i call a professional gop establishment azz kisser. a simple fake republican!!

Elwar
01-19-2011, 08:16 AM
Rubio is a neo-con. Endorsed during the election by Cheney and Romney. Spent his first week after being elected in Israel proving where his loyalties lie. He's pro-war.

He'll be siding with the snakes in Washington.

Tal
01-19-2011, 08:30 AM
I had no illusions of Marco Rubio being anything but an establishment snake and turncoat after I saw this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5sFkMXYlFE

Seemed to me like Marco Rubio was being helped by the crooks in the MSM in order to block real liberty candidates like Alex Snitker from ever having a chance.

smithtg
01-19-2011, 08:36 AM
Rubio is a neo-con. Endorsed during the election by Cheney and Romney. Spent his first week after being elected in Israel proving where his loyalties lie. He's pro-war.

He'll be siding with the snakes in Washington.

Sean hannity loves Rubio - that makes Rubio a Neo con too

Brett85
01-19-2011, 08:55 AM

The tea party is unified by the principles of lower taxes and less spending, but it contains both conservatives and libertarians. I've been to a few tea party meetings where I'm sure that many people there supported the wars and an interventionist foreign policy, but it's just that those issues are never really brought up.

Slutter McGee
01-19-2011, 09:01 AM

1st off Palin is not a neo-con. She is a conservative interventionist. Second off you can be part of the tea-party if you are either. Because the tea-party is about controlling domestic fiscal policy...and that is about it.

Slutter McGee

Slutter McGee
01-19-2011, 09:44 AM

Oh dear lord. It is called logic. Learn it.

Slutter McGee

Brooklyn Red Leg
01-19-2011, 09:47 AM

Indeed. I don't consider assjackals like Rubio to have EVER been a part of our movement. Its about goddamned time we start pushing these assclowns OUT and make the Media wake up to that fact. Fuck the NeoCon's and fuck Rubio.

Southron
01-19-2011, 10:17 AM
The tea party is unified by the principles of lower taxes and less spending, but it contains both conservatives and libertarians. I've been to a few tea party meetings where I'm sure that many people there supported the wars and an interventionist foreign policy, but it's just that those issues are never really brought up.

There is a difference between your average Tea Party person and the politicians supporting the wars.

I bet they think the wars are all about defense while guys like Rubio see them as opportunities to dole out defense contracts. It's a big fraud Republicans have been able to get away with.

Being able to give out money gives them power and they can still appear to be for less spending by rejecting things like health care while giving away money to defense contractors.

Lucille
01-19-2011, 10:20 AM
Rubio = Teaocon.

Slutter McGee
01-19-2011, 10:25 AM
Rubio = Teaocon.

I might think this is likely. But how about we all take a collective deep breath, and wait to see his fucking votes before we all damn him.

Slutter McGee

Lucille
01-19-2011, 10:28 AM
I might think this is likely. But how about we all take a collective deep breath, and wait to see his fucking votes before we all damn him.

Slutter McGee

He's a policing the world, nation-builder. It's all I need to know.

Brett85
01-19-2011, 10:31 AM

Maybe Rand will have some influence on him.

Matt Collins
01-19-2011, 11:37 AM
I think Rubio introduced Cap and Trade in FL if I remember correctly.

Slutter McGee
01-19-2011, 11:56 AM

Well good for you. I am sure glad that people let their pre concieved notions of Ron Paul make up their mind for them, instead of looking at how he has actually voted.

Rubio may well be what you say. Hell, he probably is. Now that he is elected and not campaigning, we should wait until his votes provide evidence before we start bashing, otherwise we are no better than the irrational nutcases at the Daily Kos and Free Republic.

Slutter McGee

Fozz
01-19-2011, 12:12 PM

By that logic Rand Paul would also be a neocon :rolleyes:

Fozz
01-19-2011, 12:13 PM
Rubio = Teaocon.

Whenever anyone talks about Teocons, Rubio is the first person that appears in my mind.

Lucille
01-19-2011, 12:40 PM
Well good for you. I am sure glad that people let their pre concieved notions of Ron Paul make up their mind for them, instead of looking at how he has actually voted.

Rubio may well be what you say. Hell, he probably is. Now that he is elected and not campaigning, we should wait until his votes provide evidence before we start bashing, otherwise we are no better than the irrational nutcases at the Daily Kos and Free Republic.

Slutter McGee

Or we could just listen to what he says about it and take him at his word.

Marco Rubio - Global War on Terror (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR8uCXiD_bU)

"These folks don't attack us because of something America's done... They want to attack America because of who we are."

Marco Rubio: 'We Are Headed in the Right Direction' in Afghanistan (http://www.sunshinestatenews.com/story/marco-rubio-US-headed-right-direction-afghanistan)

He's also opposed to cutting <strike>defense</strike> offense spending.

The GOP's Pledge to America platform calls for fiscal austerity but makes notable exceptions for the military. Marco Rubio, the party's Senate nominee in Florida, for instance, generally supports efforts to trim federal spending but opposes specific measures to roll back defense budgets (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303339504575565952488365306.html).

Brian4Liberty
01-19-2011, 12:56 PM
Rubio is the GOP Obama. He is being trained, groomed and prepped right now. Pampered like a Prince, waiting for his shot at the crown. No normal person could stand up against the praises, temptations and promises being made to him right now by the establishment.