PDA

View Full Version : McConnell takes freshmen senators on high power trip to AF-PAK, Rand not invited....

sailingaway
01-18-2011, 09:43 PM
http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/138363-mcconnell-lures-stars-from-tea-party-during-high-powered-af-pak-trip

The list of invitees immediately raised eyebrows because Rubio, Toomey, Johnson and Ayotte are seen as occupying the middle ground between the leadership and the Tea Party caucus, who are expected to battle over the direction of the Republican Conference in the 112th Congress.
“It's no secret he uses these trips to co-opt new senators,” said a Senate Republican aide. “I'm sure the new senators know what he's up to, but it’s not exactly an invitation you can turn down.”

Lindsay Graham went too.....

Rand stayed home and worked on his $500 billion in budget cuts he's introducing next week, including eliminating the dept of Ed, per Politico (see Rand's forum http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?275950-Politico-Rookie-Rand-Paul-tackles-budget-head-on ).

Clearly McConnell feels Rand can't be bought.

specsaregood
01-18-2011, 10:22 PM
Lindsay Graham went too.....

I wonder how many Bacha boys they went through....

Clearly McConnell feels Rand can't be bought.
No Mike Lee on the trip either.

sailingaway
01-18-2011, 10:28 PM
I wonder how many Bacha boys they went through....

No Mike Lee on the trip either.

Yeah, he joined the tea party caucus. This trip might have been a reward for those who didn't.... I think ML might have gone if asked, I don't think his foreign policy is quite where Rand's is. However, I do think he sincerely wants to work with Rand and de Mint even in bucking leadership, and those others clearly don't.

cindy25
01-18-2011, 10:30 PM
its good Rand didn't go; no senator should be taking paid vacations to Pakistan or anywhere else

Brett85
01-18-2011, 11:06 PM
I think McConnell probably realizes that he won't get Rand or Mike Lee to vote for war funding.

sailingaway
01-19-2011, 12:19 AM
I have this mental image of McConnell taking them all as Tiger Scouts, on those toddler leashes....

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/411%2BtiGWtJL._AA160_.jpg

Agorism
01-19-2011, 12:25 AM
Rand didn't go or wasn't invited?

nobody's_hero
01-19-2011, 04:37 AM
Rand didn't go or wasn't invited?

I remember when I didn't go on a field trip once because I forgot to get my permission slip signed. So, maybe . . . :p

Dreamofunity
01-19-2011, 07:45 AM
I remember when I didn't go on a field trip once because I forgot to get my permission slip signed. So, maybe . . . :p

Ron refused to sign it and said no.

Cowlesy
01-19-2011, 08:05 AM
Mike Lee and Rand Paul have sh*t to do, while McConnell needs to inculcate the weaker minds into the hob-knob-with-the-jet-setter crew.

Cowlesy
01-19-2011, 08:08 AM
Senator McConnell: Rand, you need to join us on a trip to realize the dangerous world and complex dynamics of foreign pol---
Senator Paul: Nope.
Senator McConnell: Excu---
Senator Paul: The country is going bankrupt, if we don't fix it soon, we won't even be able to buy fuel for the planes for you to take trips.
Senator McConnell: Now hold on son---
Senator Paul: My God are you Still Talking??
Senator McConnell furrows his brow and storms away

sailingaway
01-19-2011, 08:32 AM
Senator Paul: My God are you Still Talking??
Senator McConnell furrows his brow and storms away

LOL!

We all know the Pauls are excruciatingly polite.

Which doesn't make their indifference any less cutting.

itshappening
01-19-2011, 09:00 AM
this shows you who the go along get along's are

interesting Mike Lee didnt go, he's looking better every day

Brian4Liberty
01-19-2011, 01:05 PM
DeMint must be questioning his SCF candidate vetting process at this point...

Matt Collins
01-19-2011, 01:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYzSXQMbLUw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLHJQao8SAU

specsaregood
01-19-2011, 01:46 PM
DeMint must be questioning his SCF candidate vetting process at this point...

Yes, perhaps he should have consulted rpfs. :)

surf
01-19-2011, 02:30 PM
it must be interesting in the condo when Rand tells Ron he's been invited on a junket to the mid-east by Mitch.... "never been on one, they don't invite me anymore," may have been Ron's response. and if he didn't sign the permission slip - good parenting as well.

i sure hope that Rand is as anti-war as his father. i hope DeMint and Lee have some of this in them. the 2012 election had better be about warfare or we're doomed.

Brian4Liberty
01-19-2011, 10:12 PM
Yes, perhaps he should have consulted rpfs. :)

We better decide quick. DeMint already asked for input, but pretty much already has his candidate in mind...

HazyHusky420
01-19-2011, 10:25 PM
i sure hope that Rand is as anti-war as his father.

I can only hope so. But when the time comes to vote on something foreign policy related it's time to put up or shut up.

Agorism
01-19-2011, 10:26 PM
How do we know he's not invited?

sailingaway
01-19-2011, 10:33 PM
How do we know he's not invited?

It suggests that in the article 'the invitation list', but it wasn't clear and I tried to change it, but it didn't change in the post title on the list.

Brett85
01-19-2011, 10:49 PM
i sure hope that Rand is as anti-war as his father.

He isn't, but he'll still be the most anti war member of the Senate.