PDA

View Full Version : John Boehner Rolling Stones Article = Pro Tea Party

dean.engelhardt
01-18-2011, 02:01 PM
I read the article last night. I was expecting the GOP bashing, but towards the end it becomes very pro Tea Party. I didn't expect that from Rolling Stone:

This is where Boehner comes in: He represents the last stand of the Bush Republicans against this rising tide of public anger. The GOP establishment want the energy of the Tea Party, but they don't want to have to work for it. They're hoping — and they have plenty of reasons to have this hope — that the vast majority of Tea Partiers will be dazzled by their new status in Congress, or be willing to be bought off with corporate money, or be just plain dumb enough to fall for whatever pulled-out-of-the-ass phony reform rhetoric that guys like Boehner come up with, instead of making real changes to the way Congress does business. In a hilarious example of the former, Boehner with a straight face recently announced that he would push to cut committee budgets and member allowances by five percent, for an anticipated savings of — cue the clueless Dr. Evil laugh — $30 million. "It likely would be one of the first votes we cast," Boehner declared proudly, failing to recognize that paying for trillion-dollar bailouts and $900 billion tax breaks by cutting $30 million at a time is a little like planning a hostile takeover of IBM with a stack of Rite Aid coupons. That's not government; it's stand-up comedy. As for the sweeping changes that the Tea Party is looking for — Littleton's personal litmus test is deep cuts in both defense spending and Social Security — it's virtually unimaginable that Boehner will push for such a radical agenda. When Littleton met with party leaders after the election and asked what programs they are willing to cut, he was brushed aside. "We're going to be discussing that in April," he was told.

"I thought to myself, 'You campaigned on an entire platform of cutting government spending, and you don't know what you're going to be cutting until April?'" Littleton pauses. "I don't trust these guys — whether it's Boehner or anybody else." (http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/matt-taibbi-the-crying-shame-of-john-boehner-20110105?page=1)

TheState
01-18-2011, 02:14 PM
Chris Littleton (who is the Tea Party representative interviewed in the article) will be speaking at this weekend's Ohio Young Americans for Liberty Conference, http://yalosu.com/Ohiocon.html.

Brett85
01-18-2011, 02:14 PM
I don't agree that $900 billion in tax cuts is equivalent to "spending." You're simply giving people their own money back.

Romulus
01-18-2011, 02:15 PM
I skimmed.. but I like what I read..

oyarde
01-18-2011, 08:54 PM
I don't agree that $900 billion in tax cuts is equivalent to "spending." You're simply giving people their own money back.

I agree .

Valli6
01-18-2011, 10:29 PM
This piece from yesterday is also interesting and essentially correct:

Matt,
You have a somewhat positive spin on the sincerity of the Tea Party, yet the movement has been funded/controlled by the Kochs and their ilk. Do you reckon they've created a "monster" they can't possibly control in the long run? - Lars Balker Rasmussen

Lars,
I have to admit to being a little confused about the whole Tea Party phenomenon. In the year-plus I've been covering Tea Partiers, 99% of them are completely disingenuous goons -- Rush/Hannity fans and Bush Republicans who've crudely reinvented themselves as "constitutionalists" and appropriated Ron Paul's small-government rhetoric in order to disguise their basically unchanging political belief system, which almost exclusively involves hating liberals and leftists and Democrats, and immigrants and nonwhite "water drinkers," no matter what they do. I see the Tea Party mainly as a vehicle for the Republican Party to corral public anger and turn it against Democrats, and also to aid the campaign contributors of both parties in continuing to deregulate the economy and keep certain subsidies in place, and most Tea Partiers are I think willing participants in this scheme.

But I have met a few, like this Chris Littleton fellow in Ohio, who seemed deadly focused on the spending issue, and on some legitimate concerns about expanded government power even when it's the result of Republican legislation (i.e. No Child Left Behind depriving local public schools of autonomy with regard to curricula), and they seemed sincere in that at least. I did not have the same experience with Tea Party leaders in Kentucky, in Nevada, in New York, or other states, where I mostly heard a lot of preposterous Beck-fueled hysteria about how Obama is converting America into a Soviet territory and the health-care program is the first step on the road to government re-education camps (I really heard that one in Nevada). But some key Tea Partiers in John Boehner's home state are insisting that they will not become tools of the Republican Party, and the deadline for them to show their sincerity there is sometime around this spring. If Boehner raises the debt ceiling and the Tea Party doesn't call for his ouster, we'll know something's up. The Republicans meanwhile are going to have to continue to fight to keep the Tea Partiers steamed in the right direction -- and though they may fail in a few places, my guess is that over the long haul they'll be successful in rousing most of the mob against Death Panels and Black Panthers and the like, and keeping them away from the issues of Republican spending habits and/or crappy governance.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/blogs/taibblog/mailbag-mainstream-punditry-the-financial-crisis-and-the-tea-party-20110117

HOLLYWOOD
01-18-2011, 10:48 PM
I read the article last night. I was expecting the GOP bashing, but towards the end it becomes very pro Tea Party. I didn't expect that from Rolling Stone: That's because RSM Matt Taibbi didn't write it.

dean.engelhardt
01-19-2011, 07:26 AM
That's because RSM Matt Taibbi didn't write it.

I don't understand.