PDA

View Full Version : Senator Conrad (D. N.D.) retiring -- this is our territory, who do we have in North Dakota

sailingaway
01-18-2011, 01:34 PM
to run for Senate?

I have a ton of family back there. My Grandparents on my Mom's side had 11 and 13 siblings apiece, and while a bunch of them came out to California in the Depression and after, a bunch.... didn't, and they have kids and grandkids there -- we even keep in touch. So I'm particularly interested... and Ron got pretty high percentage of votes for President there, as I recall. Do we have any liberty candidates in ND? So far we've had quality candidates in regions that won't support GOP or in highly religious right territory (Rand aside, and a couple of others.) My experience with North Dakota is that while it is religious, it isn't the kind that wants the government enforcing religion, they want the government OUT of religion. I think we should target this race.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_theticket/sen-conrad-to-announce-retirement;_ylt=AvXQwsByL7O4XMkfhKAQoCWs0NUE;_ylu= X3oDMTRpcjk3ZWRzBGFzc2V0A3libG9nX3RoZXRpY2tldC8yMD ExMDExOC9zZW4tY29ucmFkLXRvLWFubm91bmNlLXJldGlyZW1l bnQEY2NvZGUDbW9zdHBvcHVsYXIEY3BvcwM2BHBvcwMzBHB0A2 hvbWVfY29rZQRzZWMDeW5faGVhZGxpbmVfbGlzdARzbGsDc2Vu Y29ucmFkdG9h

Maximus
01-18-2011, 02:10 PM
Good find, this should be a priority. The Senate is the best place to make noise in Congress. A cheap Senate campaign in North Dakota gives us a voice equal to a multi million dollar campaign winner in California. Any CFL leaders out there?

Epic
Both Dakotas are fairly libertarian.

It is fertile territory.

Bang for the buck = Very High in North Dakota.

sailingaway
I looked at Wikipedia and it said:
Ron Paul received... 21 percent in North Dakota caucuses, where he won several counties....

Surely we can build on that, particularly since we will be active for the Presidential campaign in any event....

K466
01-18-2011, 02:30 PM
If we could get a carbon copy of Peter Schiff there, that would be spectacular.

HazyHusky420
01-18-2011, 02:38 PM
Whoever replaces better be a strict non-interventionist *caughs*Rand*caughs*

itshappening
01-18-2011, 02:49 PM
we need to identify a known liberty candidate - not allow someone to identify with us

there probably isnt a viable one.

AJ Antimony
01-18-2011, 02:55 PM
An excellent seat to target, but this won't be easy.

North Dakota's Governor and at-large Congressman are both Republicans.

Gov. Jack Dalrymple is in his first term as Governor. He was elected Lt. Governor, then became Governor when John Hoeven was elected to the US Senate in 2010 (wikipedia).

Rep. Rick Berg is a freshman who beat the Democratic incumbent in 2010. He won the GOP endorsement at the state convention then won the GOP primary with 89% of the vote (http://election.townhall.com/election-2010/state/ND/candidate/rick-a-berg).

I would be surprised if Berg doesn't run for the Senate seat. But who knows, maybe there's some Lt Gov, SOS, Treasurer, etc. who's in line for the job. If Berg runs for the Senate seat, then at least the at-large House seat will be up for grabs.

Brett85
01-18-2011, 02:58 PM

There isn't any politician other than Ron who is a strict non interventionist. But hopefully we can at least get somebody like Rand who leans in that direction.

HazyHusky420
01-18-2011, 03:12 PM
There isn't any politician other than Ron who is a strict non interventionist. But hopefully we can at least get somebody like Rand who leans in that direction.

As far as leaners go I would have preferred Peter Schiff. He's a kick ass economist. Sadly he was a little ignorant on foreign policy, but in his case it was excusable because the economy is almost all he focuses on. Rand on the other hand considered foreign policy a "major issue". Unless you're a strict non-interventionist if foreign policy is a "major" issue for you then i'm gonna be a little scared.

sailingaway
01-18-2011, 03:30 PM
we need to identify a known liberty candidate - not allow someone to identify with us

there probably isnt a viable one.

There would be if we got behind someone now before they start talking up other people. That is why I was asking here. I don't know who the liberty folks are in ND. I DO know that they had major canvassing during the election for meetups, because I donated to some of their efforts, but most of the meetups have been folded into C4L and last I checked you can't post on another state's page at C4L (which is really stupid, by the way.)

sailingaway
01-18-2011, 03:31 PM
As far as leaners go I would have preferred Peter Schiff. He's a kick ass economist. Sadly he was a little ignorant on foreign policy, but in his case it was excusable because the economy is almost all he focuses on. Rand on the other hand considered foreign policy a "major issue". Unless you're a strict non-interventionist if foreign policy is a "major" issue for you then i'm gonna be a little scared.

I like Rand better than Schiff, by a lot, having followed his campaign closely enough to know what parts of what were being spun about him were bullshit. However, if we are arguing between a Rand clone and a Schiff clone we will be doing well. Right now NO names are being put forward....

tsai3904
01-18-2011, 04:10 PM
Saw this and noticed a State Senator from North Dakota:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?274506-Justin-Amash-Added-to-RLC-Convention-Lineup!-%28Feb-12%29&p=3049625&viewfull=1#post3049625

He may be too young though (he was 27 in 2010).

PermanentSleep
01-18-2011, 04:14 PM

What makes you think he isn't? I honestly wish people would quit bashing our own people before they even cast a vote. It's rather absurd and just plain disrespectful. If we ever hope to win a national Presidential campaign we're going to have to stop prematurely lighting fires before there is even a reason to start dangling feet over them. I've had numerous face to face conversations with Senator Paul, all of which made it abundantly clear to me that he should have the support of every member of this forum who is even remotely serious about pointing this country away from disaster. There are enough people around the country trying to destroy his reputation before he even casts a vote. Do you really want to be one of them?

Non-interventionism is kind of a BIG deal to people who profess such an ideology (i.e. not adhering to such results in the DEATHS of innocents). Do you honestly believe Ron would endorse his son if he were in fact a warmonger? Let's get serious.

Pericles
01-18-2011, 04:16 PM
Good find, this should be a priority. The Senate is the best place to make noise in Congress. A cheap Senate campaign in North Dakota gives us a voice equal to a multi million dollar campaign winner in California. Any CFL leaders out there?
I doubt that there is such a thing as a cheap Senate campaign that would result in a win.

PermanentSleep
01-18-2011, 04:16 PM
He may be too young though (he was 27 in 2010).

Year of Youth!

tsai3904
01-18-2011, 04:18 PM
Year of Youth!

You must be at least 30 years old to be a Senator.

PermanentSleep
01-18-2011, 04:19 PM
You must be at least 30 years old to be a Senator.

I was kidding :/
lol.

Eric21ND
01-18-2011, 04:20 PM
I'm in North Dakota and there is no true libertarian candidate up here. I think if we found a worthy one they'd have a great shot at winning. It would be a relatively cheap race. I do have someone in mind but it would take some convincing to get her to run.

HazyHusky420
01-18-2011, 04:20 PM
What makes you think he isn't? I honestly wish people would quit bashing our own people before they even cast a vote. It's rather absurd and just plain disrespectful. If we ever hope to win a national Presidential campaign we're going to have to stop prematurely lighting fires before there is even a reason to start dangling feet over them. I've had numerous face to face conversations with Senator Paul, all of which made it abundantly clear to me that he should have the support of every member of this forum who is even remotely serious about pointing this country away from disaster. There are enough people around the country trying to destroy his reputation before he even casts a vote. Do you really want to be one of them?

Non-interventionism is kind of a BIG deal to people who profess such an ideology (i.e. not adhering to such results in the DEATHS of innocents). Do you honestly believe Ron would endorse his son if he were in fact a warmonger? Let's get serious.

You have obviously never seen this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nbT1tTefzs

Quite scary.

Eric21ND
01-18-2011, 04:25 PM
On a side note, I also think we have a good shot at winning North Dakota for Ron Paul this go around.

Brett85
01-18-2011, 04:30 PM

Hazy Husky is an admitted anarchist. Rand couldn't please him no matter what he does.

Brett85
01-18-2011, 04:32 PM
You have obviously never seen this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nbT1tTefzs

Quite scary.

What's scary is the idea of importing terrorists into the United States. Thank God Rand is opposed to that.

HazyHusky420
01-18-2011, 04:34 PM
Rand couldn't please him no matter what he does.

Not true. If he took up more after my favorite minarchist Harry Browne, or better yet HIS OWN FATHER then I would be pleased.

HazyHusky420
01-18-2011, 04:34 PM
Thank God Rand is opposed to that.

Thank god his father is supportive of that.

JoshLowry
01-18-2011, 04:35 PM
What's scary is the idea of importing terrorists into the United States. Thank God Rand is opposed to that.

Define terrorist

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Guantanamo_Bay_detainees_accused_of_posses sing_Casio_watches

Brett85
01-18-2011, 04:38 PM
Define terrorist

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Guantanamo_Bay_detainees_accused_of_posses sing_Casio_watches

Somebody that we pick up off the battle field. But maybe "terrorist suspects" is a better term. Either way, I think that trying them in military tribunals is better than spending a billion dollars trying them in New York City.

Brett85
01-18-2011, 04:39 PM
Thank god his father is supportive of that.

True. I support Ron despite disagreeing with him on this issue. There isn't any politician that I agree with 100% of the time.

JoshLowry
01-18-2011, 04:43 PM
Somebody that we pick up off the battle field. But maybe "terrorist suspects" is a better term.

That is better, thanks.

Maximus
01-18-2011, 04:45 PM
I doubt that there is such a thing as a cheap Senate campaign that would result in a win.

Well compare what it costs to air a commercial in California and North Dakota and get back to me. There's a reason Meg Whitman spent $160 million and still LOST a governors race here in CA. I'm just saying that North Dakota has far better "bang for the buck" than most other states. Plus we only need to run a primary campaign, the general will be republican friendly.

Brett85
01-18-2011, 04:47 PM
Not true. If he took up more after my favorite minarchist Harry Browne, or better yet HIS OWN FATHER then I would be pleased.

Well he still hasn't even started voting yet. He also doesn't support holding people indefinitely without access to a trial. He just thinks that the trials should be held at Gitmo rather than civilian courts in the U.S. It's not that big of a difference.

HazyHusky420
01-18-2011, 04:57 PM
Well he still hasn't even started voting yet. He also doesn't support holding people indefinitely without access to a trial. He just thinks that the trials should be held at Gitmo rather than civilian courts in the U.S. It's not that big of a difference.

What do you say to the minarchists (or even isolationist paleo-cons) who think America belongs in the lower 48 and that it shouldn't have land ANYWHERE else and because of that they oppose gitmo? Of you know my position as an anarchist but what would you say to those minarchists and paleo-cons?

sailingaway
01-18-2011, 05:00 PM

I agree that Rand deserves our support. I also wonder why some are so hard on Rand for purported interventionism (with no votes to go on) yet are fine with Schiff not having a defined foreign policy -- which might end up being interventionist.

Brett85
01-18-2011, 05:01 PM
What do you say to the minarchists (or even isolationist paleo-cons) who think America belongs in the lower 48 and that it shouldn't have land ANYWHERE else and because of that they oppose gitmo? Of you know my position as an anarchist but what would you say to those minarchists and paleo-cons?

I respect their position. I would just point out that Gitmo is not meant to be something that's permanent. It's just a place to hold the terrorist suspects until they can all be tried in military tribunals. I am in favor of closing all of our overseas military bases. I consider myself to be a paleo conservative. I just don't think that Gitmo should be closed until after the military tribunals take place.

HazyHusky420
01-18-2011, 05:06 PM
yet are fine with Schiff not having a defined foreign policy -- which might end up being interventionist.

Schiff's focus is on economics, so much so that I excuse him for his ignorance on foreign policy. Plus he's too good of an economist to throw out. However foreign policy is one of Rand's "major issues" and unless you're a strict anti-gitmo non-interventionist having foreign policy as a major issue is quite scary.

Brett85
01-18-2011, 05:06 PM
I agree that Rand deserves our support. I also wonder why some are so hard on Rand for purported interventionism (with no votes to go on) yet are fine with Schiff not having a defined foreign policy -- which might end up being interventionist.

Yeah exactly. I really don't think that Gitmo has anything to do with "intervention" either. Pat Buchanan supports keeping Gitmo open and trying terrorist suspects in military tribunals. Does that mean that Pat Buchanan is an "interventionist?" I certainly don't think so. Pat Buchanan is really the most well known paleo con in America.

HazyHusky420
01-18-2011, 05:07 PM
I just don't think that Gitmo should be closed until after the military tribunals take place.

Hey ummmm WHAT ABOUT THOSE TERRORISTS IN THE GOVERNMENT?!@!!!!!!!!

HazyHusky420
01-18-2011, 05:09 PM
Yeah exactly. I really don't think that Gitmo has anything to do with "intervention" either. Pat Buchanan supports keeping Gitmo open and trying terrorist suspects in military tribunals. Does that mean that Pat Buchanan is an "interventionist?" I certainly don't think so. Pat Buchanan is really the most well known paleo con in America.

I love Pat's position on BLTs in Iraq.

sailingaway
01-18-2011, 05:09 PM
Schiff's focus is on economics, so much so that I excuse him for his ignorance on foreign policy. Plus he's too good of an economist to throw out. However foreign policy is one of Rand's "major issues" and unless you're a strict anti-gitmo non-interventionist having foreign policy as a major issue is quite scary.

That makes no sense to me. Rand says he wants to be less involved over seas than we are, and clearly thinks we should be pulling out of Afghanistan and Iraq, in an ordered fashion, but you dislike him for it because he is SOMEWHAT vague to win an election. Schiff who neatly avoids any concerns by saying he just isn't focussed on it may put Cheney to shame for all we know, but that's fine because he's 'so focussed on economics'. And Rand is also focussed on economics. Personally, I think Schiff sounds like he was just avoiding the issue entirely, whereas Rand went further to the good by being willing to take heat for being at least a change in course to the right direction.

specsaregood
01-18-2011, 05:11 PM
Either way, I think that trying them in military tribunals is better than spending a billion dollars trying them in New York City.
Not to go too far offtopic, but if I was one of the detainees I'd prefer a trial with a jury of military professionals rather than a jury scared by 9/11, fearmongered to by our media and potentially completely rabid and prejuiced. Imagine a civilian jury trial filled with freepers.... no thanks, I'd take my chances with military people.

Brett85
01-18-2011, 05:14 PM
I love Pat's position on BLTs in Iraq.

So do you agree that you can support keeping Gitmo open and still be a paleo conservative and non interventionist?

HazyHusky420
01-18-2011, 05:16 PM
Not to go too far offtopic, but if I was one of the detainees I'd prefer a trial with a jury of military professionals rather than a jury scared by 9/11, fearmongered to by our media and potentially completely rabid and prejuiced. Imagine a civilian jury trial filled with freepers.... no thanks, I'd take my chances with military people.

I agree with you on freepers. They're like World Nut Daily meets Stormfront.

sailingaway
01-18-2011, 05:16 PM

Ron and Rand were asked at different times. When Ron was talking about it, the alternative being discussed was a jury trial, here. Then Obama went for 'indefinite preventative detention' and now the alternative for those the govt most dislikes is a permanent jail term here, without trial. A military tribunal or trial in Gitmo is better than NO accountability and indefinite detention in a US based prison, as far as due process goes.

HazyHusky420
01-18-2011, 05:17 PM
So do you agree that you can support keeping Gitmo open and still be a paleo conservative and non interventionist?

Fuck this i'm a truther. Those are either CIA patsies or random middle easterners pulled off the streets.

I feel better.

HazyHusky420
01-18-2011, 05:19 PM
Screw your tribunals

http://rlv.zcache.com/anarcho_capitalist_revolution_poster-p228321325915310569t5ta_400.jpg

Brett85
01-18-2011, 05:19 PM
Fuck this i'm a truther. Those are either CIA patsies or random middle easterners pulled off the streets.

I feel better.

Lol. That just illustrates that Rand can't please everyone.

PermanentSleep
01-18-2011, 05:45 PM
That makes no sense to me. Rand says he wants to be less involved over seas than we are, and clearly thinks we should be pulling out of Afghanistan and Iraq, in an ordered fashion, but you dislike him for it because he is SOMEWHAT vague to win an election. Schiff who neatly avoids any concerns by saying he just isn't focused on it may put Cheney to shame for all we know, but that's fine because he's 'so focused on economics'. And Rand is also focused on economics. Personally, I think Schiff sounds like he was just avoiding the issue entirely, whereas Rand went further to the good by being willing to take heat for being at least a change in course to the right direction.

+rep

I'm a medical student, and the economic discussions I've had with Rand quite literally amazed me. Having the mental capacity AND finding the time to juggle the study of economics while attending one of the best medical schools in the country is tantamount to genius, imho.

HazyHusky420
01-18-2011, 06:17 PM
Lol. That just illustrates that Rand can't please everyone.

I only mentioned being a truther because I got fed up arguing over "terrorists".

As far as Rand pleasing people goes (since you tied that to me being a truther) you would surprised at how many truthers have pro-war sympathies. There are some truthers who really hate Muslims and would like to see them all killed.

Zap!
01-18-2011, 07:02 PM
If we could get a carbon copy of Peter Schiff there, that would be spectacular.

Except a Christian version. That would certainly help him more in a state like ND.

TCE
01-18-2011, 11:53 PM
Except a Christian version. That would certainly help him more in a state like ND.

+1. Take Rand, minus the rhetoric about coal and add rhetoric about agriculture and we have an amazing candidate. Seriously though, Eric? There isn't any libertarian residing in North Dakota?

Brett85
01-18-2011, 11:56 PM
+rep

I'm a medical student, and the economic discussions I've had with Rand quite literally amazed me. Having the mental capacity AND finding the time to juggle the study of economics while attending one of the best medical schools in the country is tantamount to genius, imho.

Did you have any discussions with him about foreign policy issues?

low preference guy
01-19-2011, 12:46 AM
Screw your tribunals

http://rlv.zcache.com/anarcho_capitalist_revolution_poster-p228321325915310569t5ta_400.jpg

new guy, what you're doing is called thread hijacking. if you want to talk about something else, open your own thread.

Eric21ND
01-19-2011, 05:55 AM
Meanwhile back to the discussion of North Dakota.