PDA

View Full Version : Sen. Conrad won't seek reelection

Agorism
01-18-2011, 09:34 AM
Sen. Conrad won't seek reelection

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0111/47738.html

North Dakota Sen. Kent Conrad will not seek reelection in 2012, handing Republicans a prime opportunity for a pick-up in a red-leaning state.

“After months of consideration, I have decided not to seek reelection in 2012. There are serious challenges facing our State and nation, like a $14 trillion debt and America’s dependence on foreign oil. It is more important I spend my time and energy trying to solve these problems than to be distracted by a campaign for reelection,” Conrad said in a letter released Tuesday morning. “Although I will not seek reelection, the work is not done. I will continue to do my level best for both North Dakota and the nation over the final two years of my term.”

Conrad, who was first elected in 1986, became one of the most respected voices on fiscal issues in the Congress. He chaired the influential Budget Committee and helped write generous farm bills as a member of the Agriculture Committee. He was the second senator to endorse President Obama during the 2008 campaign.

Conrad’s move puts North Dakota Democrats in a difficult position following a 2010 cycle that saw Sen. Byron Dorgan retire and Rep. Earl Pomeroy ousted after nine-terms.

A senior Democratic operative immediately named Pomeroy, former Attorney General Heidi Heitkamp and state lawmaker Joel Heitkamp as potential candidates “who could force a competitive race.”

Republican Public Service Commissioner Brian Kalk has already formed an exploratory committee, but Conrad’s departure is likely to draw more candidates.

HOLLYWOOD
01-18-2011, 10:40 AM
From what Bank or Mortgage corporation did Kent Conrad receive his payola 'POT OF GOLD', uh, I meant, job offer?