PDA

View Full Version : Neocon Bill Kristol calls for return to the gold standard

Fozz
01-17-2011, 07:33 PM
Or at the very least, discussion about it.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/question-4_533776.html#

Pretty shocking, in my opinion. We've got to watch out for people like him.

Rede
01-17-2011, 07:44 PM
While I wouldn't trust Kristol it is a very good thing that the mainstream opinion is moving more and more towards that of Ron Paul and the Liberty movement. It will be much more difficult to brand Ron Paul as 'quixotic'.

Flash
01-17-2011, 07:49 PM
I like Ron Paul's idea of competing currency better. But I'm still a little nervous about it. I heard back in the 1800s (or early 1900s) Coal mine-owners would pay their employees in their own special currency. The problem was-- this currency could only be used at certain stores (owned also by their employers), which had overpriced items.

doodle
01-17-2011, 07:50 PM
It just keeps getting better.

He is looking for new ways to shore up economy. If economy collapsed, how are we going to fund global wars? He's one smart neocon.

MRK
01-17-2011, 07:55 PM
I like Ron Paul's idea of competing currency better. But I'm still a little nervous about it. I heard back in the 1800s (or early 1900s) Coal mine-owners would pay their employees in their own special currency. The problem was-- this currency could only be used at certain stores (owned also by their employers), which had overpriced items.

If someone doesn't want to be paid in IOUs, they don't have to work for them.

Vessol
01-17-2011, 08:01 PM
I don't support the gold standard and neither does Ron Paull..

low preference guy
01-17-2011, 08:12 PM
Bill Kristol is a neocon. However, I think the reason he is one is because of a family tradition and because his father was a founder of the movement. He is not a fervent believer. A fervent neocon wouldn't flirt the idea of a gold standard or say that Rand Paul is a good-natured likable guy. So even without noticing, he could support policies that undermine neoconservatism. David Frum, a true neocon, wouldn't make those mistakes, that's why he is always attacking Rand Paul and now is making fun of Bill Kristol in his front page. Irvin Kristol also would have been terrified of Rand Paul, unlike Bill.

ctiger2
01-17-2011, 08:26 PM
The big banks want to return to the Gold standard at some point. They own most of the Gold. The private Federal Reserve banking cartel will welcome a return to the Gold standard as long as they're in charge of it.

Kotin
01-17-2011, 08:29 PM
Gold Standard is a trap in my opinion.. why else would all these FED shills and neocons be coming out for it?

competing currencies FTW

sailingaway
01-17-2011, 09:10 PM
Or at the very least, discussion about it.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/question-4_533776.html#

Pretty shocking, in my opinion. We've got to watch out for people like him.

Yup.

sailingaway
01-17-2011, 09:10 PM
Gold Standard is a trap in my opinion.. why else would all these FED shills and neocons be coming out for it?

competing currencies FTW

Yup.

AlexMerced
01-17-2011, 09:19 PM
Bill Kristol is very a foamin neo-con, but the Neo-con journalist are giving some statments of legitamacy to the libertarian side of things in order to be able to retain some of their influence as opinion shifts. They arn't changing their view, but they are now allowing the debate to be a legitamate one.

ctiger2
01-17-2011, 09:34 PM
Ron advocates for competing currencies and when he does mention the Gold standard he specifically refers to a Gold Coin standard.

I think a Silver standard would really throw these elite banking crooks for a loop. With technology today we should be able to save our money in whatever currency we want.

JohnEngland
01-18-2011, 03:30 AM
Interesting paragraph:

And it's worth further asking--as more and more people are beginning to ask--whether a modernized international gold standard, which anchors currencies to a standard outside government manipulation, wouldn't better serve the interests of free and limited government both at home and abroad. After all, it's the dollar's status as a reserve currency that has allowed the U.S. government to amass huge debts, debts which the legislatively imposed debt ceiling has been unsuccessful in limiting. Fiat currency seems to be related to bloated and unlimited government, and to speculative bubbles, and to international instability. Do we just to have to live with this, or simply hope for better Fed chairmen?

I think it'll be really interesting if Ron Paul chooses to run for 2012. Even neocons are waking up to the ideas he talks about and, quite frankly, I'd just love to see Ron on the stage with the other candidates and saying, "See, I told you so". :D

jtstellar
01-18-2011, 07:19 AM
While I wouldn't trust Kristol it is a very good thing that the mainstream opinion is moving more and more towards that of Ron Paul and the Liberty movement. It will be much more difficult to brand Ron Paul as 'quixotic'.

so i guess those of us who were of the sentiment that it was better to attempt at swaying the tea parties and the rank and file republicans than to stay as a bunch of political rogues on the sideline cherishing our solitude while doing massive armchairing

or to denounce the tea parties because of the palins and witches because their followers looked really ugly on the intro stages, when they are just waking up. who knows, they might have stayed that way forever, wee~ and by doing so, we were supposed to show our superiority and somehow appeal to the more hippy, imaginary allies of ours on the left

so

can guys on the opposite side kindly stfu now

sratiug
01-18-2011, 09:00 AM
so i guess those of us who were of the sentiment that it was better to attempt at swaying the tea parties and the rank and file republicans than to stay as a bunch of political rogues on the sideline cherishing our solitude while doing massive armchairing

or to denounce the tea parties because of the palins and witches because their followers looked really ugly on the intro stages, when they are just waking up. who knows, they might have stayed that way forever, wee~ and by doing so, we were supposed to show our superiority and somehow appeal to the more hippy, imaginary allies of ours on the left

so

can guys on the opposite side kindly stfu now

There was a video posted here last week explaining that the dollar cannot be devalued enough in relation to other paper currencies because they are also being devalued so the final devaluation always comes against gold and will be at 5,000 or more of the new monetary units per ounce of gold. They are just letting you know the dollar is dying and it will be replaced by an international paper gold standard controlled by the IMF and World Bank. This is obvious quackery because you don't need any international gold standard to measure gold, you only need the international paper gold monetary unit so that it can be inflated and devalued again in the future by the World Bank/IMF to keep stealing more of your money's value.

Acala
01-18-2011, 09:19 AM
The big banks want to return to the Gold standard at some point. They own most of the Gold. The private Federal Reserve banking cartel will welcome a return to the Gold standard as long as they're in charge of it.

Even if it were true that banks own most of the gold, it doesn't matter. They would still not be able to control a true gold currency, although they might profit from it at the outset. Banks control the money supply now because they can CREATE money, not because they have a lot of it in a vault. Banks can't create gold. So whatever gold they have would have to be spent, thereby putting it into circulation.

There is no way for anyone to "be in charge" of a 100% gold currency. Of course it is possible, even likely, that Kristol is not talking about a 100% gold standard.

lester1/2jr
01-18-2011, 09:36 AM
"China hawks and American hegemonists (I'm both)"

lol. he's right about the gold standard though. good article

ctiger2
01-18-2011, 10:19 AM
There is no way for anyone to "be in charge" of a 100% gold currency. Of course it is possible, even likely, that Kristol is not talking about a 100% gold standard.

If the people aren't allowed to exchange paper currency for Gold coins then yes, whoever is controlling the money would be in complete control. That's why Ron advocates a Gold coin standard. The people can go to the bank at anytime and exchange paper currency for Gold money. That's really the key to making it work. For all intents and purposes we're on a form of Gold standard right now.

HazyHusky420
01-18-2011, 10:31 AM
Co-opt alert co-opt alert

Acala
01-18-2011, 10:44 AM
If the people aren't allowed to exchange paper currency for Gold coins then yes, whoever is controlling the money would be in complete control..

If the paper currency isn't backed by gold, meaning 100% exchangeable for gold, then it isn't a gold standard. And it certainly isn't a 100% gold standard as, you will note, I specified in my post.

That's why Ron advocates a Gold coin standard.

Dr. Paul advocates competing currencies. In other words, the market sets the standard.

For all intents and purposes we're on a form of Gold standard right now.

Yes, this is correct if by "gold standard" you mean being forced to use paper money that is not linked in any way to gold, and cannot be exchanged for gold at a fixed rate by anyone, ever, for any reason, and transactions in gold are taxed as non-monetary. :rolleyes:

HazyHusky420

competing currencies FTW

I'm also a supporter of competing currencies, but just because neocons come out in favor of something does not mean you shouldn't support it. That's like when people say you shouldn't be anti-war or pro-pot legalization just because George Soros claims to be, or like when people say being pro-open borders means you're either a neocon or a "liberal commie Muslim/Jew race mixer" when it's a classical libertarian positon especially in the anarchist camps.

In other words don't let other people's views sway your own.

JackieDan
Bill Kristol a.k.a. the biggest flip-flopper ever

ctiger2
01-18-2011, 12:39 PM
If the paper currency isn't backed by gold, meaning 100% exchangeable for gold, then it isn't a gold standard. And it certainly isn't a 100% gold standard as, you will note, I specified in my post.

No reason to get all huffy. There isn't just one kind of Gold standard. We were on a "Gold standard" from 1933 to 1971 and the people were not allowed to exchange paper currency for Gold.

Dr. Paul advocates competing currencies. In other words, the market sets the standard.

Here Ron mentions to allow Gold and Silver as competing currencies:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDTtu7nhnzk

Yes, this is correct if by "gold standard" you mean being forced to use paper money that is not linked in any way to gold, and cannot be exchanged for gold at a fixed rate by anyone, ever, for any reason, and transactions in gold are taxed as non-monetary. :rolleyes:

Here he mentions a Gold Coin Standard at 1:25:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNIOGQveWmE

free1
01-18-2011, 01:11 PM
No, no.

He tried to say "gold card standard", but slipped up.

I think he means that every slave... oops... I mean every lower case "c" citizen will get a gold card from American Express (who else?).

Under a newly proposed bill everyone wil get something for nothing. The federal reserves printing presses will run night and day to keep the stupid masses happy, and the masses will approve of this bill, because they get something out of it themselves.

Anything for free.

Even if it screws up everyone else's lives, who cares?

Can't hold yourself back? Got to go for "free" ?

No self responsibility?

GOOD SLAVE!

Acala
01-19-2011, 09:54 AM
No reason to get all huffy. There isn't just one kind of Gold standard. We were on a "Gold standard" from 1933 to 1971 and the people were not allowed to exchange paper currency for Gold.

Not huffy. Just being clear.

I don't call Bretton Woods a gold standard. It was a lie designed to ease the globalization of the dollar and as soon as the US was called upon to actually redeem dollars in gold, it folded up.

I suppose YOU can call anything you want "gold standard" but if it doesn't allow direct redemption of paper money into gold coin by anyone at anytime, it isn't what I would call a gold standard.