PDA

View Full Version : David Smith is running for Senate in Texas to replace KBH

RileyE104
01-17-2011, 07:15 PM
I have yet to confirm if he is running in the LP or the GOP.
EDIT: Mr. Smith has confirmed he is filling to run for the GOP nomination.

His facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1686463240&sk=info#!/profile.php?id=1686463240&sk=wall

His Political Views section describes himself as a Ron Paul Republican.

*** For those that don't know, he ran against Ted Poe as a Libertarian last election.

He ran as a Libertarian against Ted Poe in 2010, earning 11.38% of the vote in a two way race.

RileyE104
01-17-2011, 07:23 PM
Ron isn't going to run and I doubt his son will either.

I would love to see Medina run too. Her and Smith could team up on any neo-cons.

Can a mod make an official section in the 2012 forum for this?

doodle
01-17-2011, 07:35 PM
Do you have anything showing his positions on foreign policy, airport gropings, diminishing civil liberties at home?

In this clip I looked up on youtube, at 21:40 he is saying that "we should have been in a 10 day war in Iraq, Afghanistan and let them rebuild their country for 50 years".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELeYkLsuULM

To the untrained eye, he may appear to be a pro interventionist minus the rebuilding neocon? He basically seems to be supporting bombing of Iraq. Why? Iraq never attacked us.

I don't like this kind of attitude and could not support someone with such war mongering views that ultimately lead to gropings at airports and diminished liberties.

RileyE104
01-17-2011, 07:37 PM
Do you have anything showing his positions on foreign policy, airport gropings, diminishing civil liberties at home?

In this clip I looked up on youtube, at 21:40 he is saying that w"we should have been in a 10 day war in Iraq, Afghanistan and let them rebuild their country for 50 years".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELeYkLsuULM

To the untrained eye, he may appear to be a pro interventionist, anti foreign rebuilding neocon?

So he basically he seems to be supporting bombing of Iraq. Why?

I don't like this kind of attitude and could not support someone with such war mongering views.

I will ask him. If you have a facebook you can ask him yourself. He is very friendly and replies back rather quickly.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1686463240&sk=info#!/profile.php?id=1686463240&sk=wall

RileyE104
01-17-2011, 09:52 PM
I just got a message back from Mr. Smith and he has confirmed that he is anti-war.

RileyE104
01-17-2011, 10:07 PM
From Mr. Smith's campaign manager:

Please tell "doodle" that David never endorses any wars that are not Constitutionally declared. He hates nationbuilding, as do I. His "ten day war" quote means that when a legal war is declared, he wants the offender bombed for ten days, none of our ground forces put at risk, and the offending country left to rebuild with their own money, not ours. David is also against the Patriot Act and the airport groping, rape-a-scans and any form of the police state. We are still working on the website guys, this has been a quick decision.

doodle
01-17-2011, 10:30 PM
Thanks for prompt reply. I guess he didn't mean to imply that he was for a 10 day bombing of Iraq and misspoke in that exchange.

Sincerely
doodle

BTW, I'm watching Ron's speech on your youtube channel, great collection you have there!

RedLightning
01-17-2011, 10:50 PM
He might be worth supporting, but I still want Medina to run.

RileyE104
01-17-2011, 11:20 PM
He might be worth supporting, but I still want Medina to run.

I wouldn't mind both of them running. Especially if there is neo-con opposition.

Bergie Bergeron
01-18-2011, 12:08 AM
Medina (or Robert Paul) can run for Congress and the other for Senate. David Smith seems legit, waiting for an issues page but worried his name ID isn't high enough.

Bergie Bergeron
01-18-2011, 08:22 AM
bump

itshappening
01-18-2011, 08:30 AM
Medina's name ID is MUCH higher and she is a better candidate

RileyE104
01-18-2011, 12:01 PM
Medina (or Robert Paul) can run for Congress and the other for Senate. David Smith seems legit, waiting for an issues page but worried his name ID isn't high enough.

I think it would be AWESOME if all three ran for Senate just so Liberty can have a better voice in the debates.

However, I think Medina and Paul would have a much better chance running for House.

1) If Robert Paul even wants to run for anything, I don't think he would go for Senate. His brother just won and I think the media storm that would follow would simply be attacks on him that he is trying to ride his brother's coattails to the Senate. If he ran for a House seat, I think the media attention would be less national and he would have a better chance of getting in with Ron.

2) If Medina decides to run, the ONLY issue that would show her in bad light is the 9/11 shit. If she has a plan to overcome that (nationally), I would love to see her run for Senate. If she doesn't think she can overcome that, I would love to see her run for a House seat.

Good name recognition can be built by Smith the same way it was by Medina during her run for Governor. As for being a better candidate, IDK. They are both great and they both self-identify as Ron Paul Republicans, which is awesome because I would LOVE for them both to run.

ALSO, choosing between these two doesn't matter right now. We should be helping both of them until we can tell which has a better chance of winning. Right now that's impossible.

RileyE104
01-18-2011, 05:10 PM
bump

RileyE104
01-19-2011, 05:13 PM
Am I really the only one excited about this? We have an actual Liberty candidate running for what will most likely be an empty Senate seat....

1) Medina hasn't announced yet and I have yet to hear anything hinting that she even will.

2) I'm 100% sure that Ron will not run for this seat.

3) I'm also positive that Robert Paul will not run for this seat.

Can we not show more support for Mr. Smith?
Nobody even knows if Medina is going to run or not and she's getting 90% of the love around here for this race while at the same time there is already a Liberty candidate who for sure needs our support..

Bergie Bergeron
01-19-2011, 10:19 PM
Am I really the only one excited about this? We have an actual Liberty candidate running for what will most likely be an empty Senate seat....

1) Medina hasn't announced yet and I have yet to hear anything hinting that she even will.

2) I'm 100% sure that Ron will not run for this seat.

3) I'm also positive that Robert Paul will not run for this seat.

Can we not show more support for Mr. Smith?
Nobody even knows if Medina is going to run or not and she's getting 90% of the love around here for this race while at the same time there is already a Liberty candidate who for sure needs our support..
Nobody really knows that much about him, that's probably why.

sailingaway
01-19-2011, 10:20 PM
I don't think Ron will run, but he said it had crossed his mind, so I'm not getting behind anyone else until I find out.

JoshLowry
01-19-2011, 10:43 PM

Why is she a better candidate?

Brian4Liberty
01-19-2011, 11:12 PM
EDIT: Mr. Smith has confirmed he is filling to run for the GOP nomination.

His Political Views section describes himself as a Ron Paul Republican.

*** For those that don't know, he ran against Ted Poe as a Libertarian last election.

What office did he run for? Is he known in Texas?

libertyjam
01-20-2011, 03:36 AM
What office did he run for? Is he known in Texas?

http://www.dsmithforcongress.com/

US House of Reps, District 2

Brian4Liberty
01-20-2011, 12:03 PM
http://www.dsmithforcongress.com/

US House of Reps, District 2

He definitely needs a better website. There's no background info on him. He needs to replace that website asap, remove "Libertarian", and focus it on the GOP Primary.

muzzled dogg
01-20-2011, 12:04 PM
wraub paul

RileyE104
01-20-2011, 05:49 PM
He definitely needs a better website. There's no background info on him. He needs to replace that website asap, remove "Libertarian", and focus it on the GOP Primary.

That website is from his Libertarian run for Ted Poe's seat during the 2010 election.

Last I heard they were working on a new site for him. Perhaps someone good with making them could do their part for Liberty and contact him on his Facebook page?

David Smith's facebook: http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=1686463240

Nobody really knows that much about him, that's probably why.

If you live in Texas then you should be doing your part as a VOTER to find out about him instead of letting the Media pick the "best" candidates for you.

Mr. Smith is very active on his facebook and will gladly answer any questions you have.

Once again, David Smith's facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=1686463240

RIGHT NOW he doesn't have a website up since he just filed. But why look at a website when you can talk to the man directly? Facebook is a great tool for the Liberty movement and it's sad not as many people here use it and instead write it off. Justin Amash is one example of why Facebook is awesome for Liberty and the flow of information.

I don't think Ron will run, but he said it had crossed his mind, so I'm not getting behind anyone else until I find out.

Ron is not going to run for Senate. People need to get off that train already.

It's possible she will, but Debra Medina hasn't said anything indicating she would run. Until she does, people here should focus on the actual Liberty-candidate that is RIGHT IN FRONT OF OUR FACES and is actually committed to this race.

There's a quote: "You're waiting to die to see heaven, when you could have it alive." --- If Medina announces, I'm all for supporting her as well because the more Liberty-minded people out there changing hearts and minds is the best thing that can happen. I would expect which ever one is polling less to put the movement before themselves and endorse the other candidate. But right now, that can't and wont happen because as far as I can see, David Smith is the only Liberty-candidate, Ron Paul Republican, that has filed to run for this Senate seat. GET OVER MEDINA for the time being. Sure, contact her and urge her in whatever way you can to get her to run. But right now, people are just sitting around wasting time when they could be spreading the message of a Liberty-candidate that is already running and needs support.

RileyE104
01-20-2011, 08:41 PM
bump

JoshLowry
01-20-2011, 08:49 PM
What are his thoughts about the war on drugs (which excludes alcohol, pain killers, and tobacco) ?

JoshLowry
01-20-2011, 08:56 PM
Also, he is only going to get about 10% of the activists here excited if he runs in the Libertarian party.

RileyE104
01-21-2011, 07:42 AM
Also, he is only going to get about 10% of the activists here excited if he runs in the Libertarian party.

He's running for the GOP nomination.

What are his thoughts about the war on drugs (which excludes alcohol, pain killers, and tobacco) ?

I don't have time right now but later I will talk to him.

If you have time yourself, his facebook is: http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=1686463240