PDA

View Full Version : A week in a Libertarian Country

Elwar
01-17-2011, 11:25 AM
A week in Costa Rica (2005).

http://www.fff.org/freedom/fd0506e.asp

tangent4ronpaul
01-17-2011, 12:22 PM
IIRC, I was impressed that you could read ALL their laws in about an hour.

The drug war is alive and well there.
access to medicine is restricted
firearms laws are kind of strict.

-t

Elwar
01-17-2011, 12:38 PM
IIRC, I was impressed that you could read ALL their laws in about an hour.

The drug war is alive and well there.
access to medicine is restricted
firearms laws are kind of strict.

-t

I have read about their gun restrictions but not sure what you mean by medicine being restricted. Do you mean prescriptions or medical treatment? I heard that their medical industry was pretty open. I've even known a lot of people who go to Costa Rica for various treatments since its cheaper.

tangent4ronpaul
01-17-2011, 01:07 PM
Yes, the usual Rx issues. Having most medications unless you are licensed is illegal unless it's a single Tx worth that was Rx'd to you. They don't say a lot about it in the laws, but they are really uptight about ppl providing medical Tx without the right certificates/licenses. I don't know if that goes to the level of insanity like in this country where a daycare provider can't legally give a kid sniffles medicine or a Tylenol or the level of insanity in France where you can get arrested for performing first aid or not. chiropractors, acupuncturists, etc may or may not be illegal.

-t

Elwar
01-17-2011, 02:20 PM
Yes, the usual Rx issues. Having most medications unless you are licensed is illegal unless it's a single Tx worth that was Rx'd to you. They don't say a lot about it in the laws, but they are really uptight about ppl providing medical Tx without the right certificates/licenses. I don't know if that goes to the level of insanity like in this country where a daycare provider can't legally give a kid sniffles medicine or a Tylenol or the level of insanity in France where you can get arrested for performing first aid or not. chiropractors, acupuncturists, etc may or may not be illegal.

-t

Ahh ya, the article does mention a lot of permitting that is required (such as taxi drivers).

From the Drug War aspect. I was reading that most of the difficulty comes from US DEA agents posing as tourists or drug dealers that will end up arresting you when you come back to the states. Other than that, smoking pot is illegal but not enforced.

The main thing that worries me is their legal system where you're detained until they have a case against you (sometimes up to a year).

BuddyRey
01-17-2011, 05:17 PM
Costa Rica; come for the freedom, stay for the Tarrazu coffee.