PDA

View Full Version : Mike Lee proposes balanced budget amendment

Koz
01-16-2011, 06:21 PM
Someone needs to give him Rand's phone number.

"Buoyed by strong Tea Party support during his campaign, freshman Senator Mike Lee (R-Utah) has arrived in Washington and says he's determined to take significant steps to rectify the staggering U.S. deficit. Lee talked to Fox News on Sunday about his proposed constitutional amendment to balance the budget."

http://politics.blogs.foxnews.com/2011/01/16/freshman-senator-backing-balanced-budget

sailingaway
01-16-2011, 06:24 PM
Rand already said on national TV that he is in the process of drafting one; Mike's statement comes after that. Might be the same one, if they decide to co-sponsor, and if they can agree on terms. Senate doesn't go back in session until the 25th, I think.

puppetmaster
01-16-2011, 06:37 PM
think they will stop with this amendment....they have a con con.....they will mess with other things also?

Brett85
01-16-2011, 07:21 PM
I don't think this will have any chance of passing. I don't think that 20 Democrats in the Senate will actually vote for this.

Koz
01-16-2011, 07:40 PM
I don't think this will have any chance of passing. I don't think that 20 Democrats in the Senate will actually vote for this.

I don't think 20 republicans will vote for it.

sailingaway
01-16-2011, 07:44 PM

LOL!

To be honest, if I thought it might pass, I might be more worried about it. Anything that DID pass would likely be 2000 pages long, not read, and full of trash. I don't want that Congress ruining our Constitution. But it is Rand's thing, and he needs to try.

Brett85
01-16-2011, 07:50 PM

I think that most Republicans would vote for it. You might have the Maine twins, Scott Brown, and a few other Republicans vote against it. I also think that a balanced budget amendment would be much better than the status quo. I don't see why some people here oppose it.

sailingaway
01-16-2011, 08:10 PM
I think that most Republicans would vote for it. You might have the Maine twins, Scott Brown, and a few other Republicans vote against it. I also think that a balanced budget amendment would be much better than the status quo. I don't see why some people here oppose it.

I don't think the version that would pass would be a version we would like. No other bill in recent memory has been likable, after all.

I'd love to be wrong, though.

Stary Hickory
01-17-2011, 07:12 AM

Oh it would get 20 GOPers to vote yes on it. That has been a problem since day one, a large part of the GOP is almost as progressive as the Dems.

Some GOPers would more easily vote for it if they thought it would not pass too.....to show you are committed to a balanced budget without having to worry about weathering any attacks for slashing programs.

A lot of politics too. I feel a balanced budget is coming, it maybe very well have to be after Obama is gone, but there will be a balanced budget.