PDA

View Full Version : how many of those going to cpac are also going to rlc?

muzzled dogg
01-16-2011, 04:05 PM
curious to know how many cpac'ers are going to spend saturday at the rlc convention...

here's the agenda: http://www.rlc.org/2011-national-convention/convention-agenda/

muzzled dogg
01-16-2011, 04:11 PM
matt who is that special second amendment guest? larry pratt?

LibertyMage
01-17-2011, 07:53 AM
If the key to politics is organization, I sincerely believe that not organizing under the same "team" divides efforts. Unfortunately, this is how the Republicans, Libertarians and Constitutionalists operate in my state. The RLC is the same way in my state - essentially dead and pulling good activists out of the game to build from scratch.

C4L has resources. C4L has people. C4L is getting direction from the biggest political organizers in the country. RLC is building from scratch.

muzzled dogg
01-24-2011, 11:18 AM
point taken

sailingaway
01-24-2011, 11:36 AM
There is another issue. Last time Ron won and the overwhelming sound from where the announcement was made was boos. It was widely reported that the GOP booed him -- when of course it was just the Romney employees bussed in for the event. But C4L had had an event right before the announcement of the vote event started, and our guys couldn't get into the room and ended up in overflow rooms.

Some people can only come and vote on Friday. But if our folks there Saturday aren't in the room when Ron is announced (and he should at least be one of the frontrunners) and he doesn't get cheered.... that will be depressing.

Matt Collins
01-24-2011, 11:43 AM
If the key to politics is organization, I sincerely believe that not organizing under the same "team" divides efforts. Unfortunately, this is how the Republicans, Libertarians and Constitutionalists operate in my state. The RLC is the same way in my state - essentially dead and pulling good activists out of the game to build from scratch.

C4L has resources. C4L has people. C4L is getting direction from the biggest political organizers in the country. RLC is building from scratch.
Yes I tend to agree, EXCEPT that the reality is that RLC can do a lot of things the CFL can't do. They can endorse candidates and openly get people involved in the Republican Party. I think the two organizations can compliment each other in that way.

CFL is more about activism and education and the RLC is more about operating within the GOP.

sailingaway
01-24-2011, 11:45 AM
Yes I tend to agree, EXCEPT that the reality is that RLC can do a lot of things the CFL can't do. They can endorse candidates and openly get people involved in the Republican Party. I think the two organizations can compliment each other in that way.

CFL is more about activism and education and the RLC is more about operating within the GOP.

The RLC seems to be about promoting pro-war alternatives to Ron, from what I can see.

Matt Collins
01-24-2011, 11:45 AM
Well I don't think I'll be going to the RLC event because it's the same time as CFL activities at CPAC. I told them from the start that having this event at the same time as CPAC could be good, or it could be bad. Come to find out, it is bad. If it were held on Sunday, then that might be different.

The problem is that the straw poll winners are announced on Saturday, and last year our people were not in the room and thus Ron got booed a great deal. This time around we can't let that happen so we need to ensure that our people are in the room almost all day to make sure that Ron gets more applause from us than jeers from the neocons.

muzzled dogg
01-24-2011, 11:51 AM
understanding that cpac can do whatever they want, c4L's schedule has straw poll results announced at 6

supposedly gary johnson doesn't go on until 8

LibertyMage
01-24-2011, 02:08 PM
Sailingaway beat me to the straw poll results point. Being present for the straw poll results will be huge.

Matt - this is by far not true. A county group in my state took over the county Central Committee. Also, it misses my main point: politics is about building networks. If everyone is on the same team already, there is nothing stopping you from organizing outside of the scope of one group. Just because C4L cannot (and should not) endorse, that doesn't mean its members can't groom candidates or help campaigns as individuals.

Everyone wants to start an offshoot group so that they can be the top dog. Few actually spend the time learning from the pros and become part of something that is already strong.

JS4Pat
01-24-2011, 02:12 PM

What state is that?

The RLC is VERY effective in my state.

sailingaway
01-24-2011, 03:05 PM
I have nothing against the RLC as an organization except to the extent it is championing GJ to take Ron's support, which imho it is, although it says it isn't.

Thomas
01-24-2011, 05:31 PM
i won't let ron get booed like that again

CaseyJones
01-24-2011, 05:32 PM
^ this + rep