PDA

View Full Version : Dial 911 and die. (yeah, it's happened again)

Anti Federalist
01-15-2011, 08:15 PM
They shot his dog in October, had to come back and finish the job.

Honestly, the facts in this case are a mess, at least what's being reported.

But this fact remains, that cops were called to deal with a "domestic violence" situation which soon escalated into a man getting shot dead, in the back, with a .45, by the cops that were called to "help".

Man dies following struggle with police

Curtis Johnson / The Herald-Dispatch

January 14, 2011 @ 11:25 PM

HUNTINGTON -- A father-daughter fist fight ended early Friday morning with a city police officer killing the father just outside of his Guyandotte home.

Huntington Police Chief Skip Holbrook, calling the killing justified, said a preliminary investigation shows Raymond Adkins, 59, was shot as he barged out of the house and reached for an officer's bean-bag gun.

Daughter Leanna Adkins said she disagreed with that account, although a neighboring eyewitness told a story similar to that of the police. The daughter on Friday criticized the police and described the fight that preceded her father's death. She said they exchanged punches in an argument that started with her father's hunt for a vehicle registration card.

"The last conversation me and my dad had was an argument," she said. "I've got to live with that for the rest of my life. So does my mom."
~~~~
Rohrig's partner, Huntington Police officer Travis S. Hagan, feared for Rohrig's safety and fired his .45 caliber weapon. Holbrook said that bullet struck Adkins' back and exited though his front torso.
~~~~
Lezu said he believes such a killing was justified, if Adkins actually reached for the gun as the officers claim. However, he worries the Police Department as a whole might be too quick to act. For instance, he said officers shot his dog in October after saying it charged at them.

Brian4Liberty
01-15-2011, 08:23 PM
... a neighboring eyewitness told a story similar to that of the police.

Eyewitness accounts are next to worthless when it comes to any detail at all. Clear Audio/video capture is the gold standard.

Philhelm
01-15-2011, 08:34 PM
I think the fact that the man was struck in the back says a lot though.

aGameOfThrones
01-15-2011, 08:39 PM
I think the fact that the man was struck in the back says a lot though.

You're being unpatriotic, Philhelm. Besides, "Huntington Police Chief Skip Holbrook, calling the killing justified."

Mini-Me
01-15-2011, 08:58 PM
The worst thing about this kind of situation is that justice will NEVER be done. Nobody has much sympathy for the kind of man who punches his daughter (I don't, either), so it's very easy for trigger-happy police to go way over the line with extreme and deadly force without really being called on it. Arguing the difference between "the guy was an abusive asshole" and "it was okay to shoot him in the back" is a terribly uphill battle.

Anti Federalist
01-15-2011, 09:03 PM
The worst thing about this kind of situation is that justice will NEVER be done. Nobody has much sympathy for the kind of man who punches his daughter (I don't, either), so it's very easy for trigger-happy police to go way over the line with extreme and deadly force without really being called on it.

And an ex-con.

People will happily denounce such people and cheer on their extermination.

Contrary to popular belief, the Gestapo was not the all-pervasive, omnipotent agency in German society.[17] In Germany proper, many towns and cities had less than 50 official Gestapo personnel. For example, in 1939 Stettin and Frankfurt am Main only had a total of 41 Gestapo men combined.[18] In Düsseldorf, the local Gestapo office of only 281 men were responsible for the entire Lower Rhine region, which comprised 4 million people.[19] "V-men", as undercover Gestapo agents were known, were used to infiltrate Social Democratic and Communist opposition groups, but this was more the exception, not the rule.[20] The Gestapo office in Saarbrücken had 50 full-term informers in 1939.[20] The District Office in Nuremberg, which had the responsibility for all of northern Bavaria employed a total of 80–100 full-term informers in the years 1943–1945.[20]

The vast majority of Gestapo informers were not full-term informers working undercover, but were rather ordinary citizens who for whatever reason chose to denounce those they knew to the Gestapo.[21]

According to Canadian historian Robert Gellately's analysis of the local offices established, the Gestapo was, for the most part, made up of bureaucrats and clerical workers who depended upon denunciations by citizens for their information.[22] Gellately argued that because of the widespread willingness of Germans to inform on each other to the Gestapo that Germany between 1933-45 was a prime example of Panopticism.[23] Indeed, the Gestapo, at times, was overwhelmed with denunciations and most of its time was spent sorting out the credible from the less credible denunciations.[24] Many of the local offices were understaffed and overworked, struggling with the paper load caused by so many denunciations.[25] Gellately has also suggested that the Gestapo was "a reactive organization" that "...which was constructed within German society and whose functioning was structurally dependent on the continuing co-operation of German citizens".

AFPVet
01-15-2011, 09:09 PM
What's with all of these cops shooting dogs and shooting people in the back?

Brian4Liberty
01-15-2011, 09:12 PM
On eyewitnesses:

THE SCENE: A classroom much like any classroom supported by public dollars. The occasional fading poster breaks up the routine of bland, institutional paint. The ubiquitous round clock hangs on the wall above the lectern, making odd and disjointed ticking and whirring noises, its hands occasionally speeding up or slowing down. It’s either too hot or too cold and there is an odd smell that no one can quite identify. But this classroom is different. In the chairs with the worn, torn covers, their arms resting on the chipped particle board tabletops covered in cheap, peeling wood grained vinyl, sit 25 police recruits, young men and women eager to learn all that they can about their jobs before being allowed on the streets.

It’s 1030 in the morning. The topic is the finer points of diagramming traffic accidents, and attention, and wakefulness, are beginning to lag. The instructor drones on, when suddenly, without warning, the door at the back of the room flies open and slams into the wall with a resounding bang. Someone sprints into the room, assaults the instructor who ends up flat on his back, and sprints from the room through the wide open door. The entire incident has taken mere seconds. The recruits are now wide awake, but are frozen and have no idea what to do. The instructor rises, calmly brushes off and straightens his uniform, and directs the class to write a report about the crime they just witnessed.

All too soon, each recruit has the dubious pleasure of reading their report for the entire class. At the end of the reading, it is clear that the assailant was a tall/short, slender/fat, man/woman who was balding/had long hair and who said a variety of things/was silent, as he assaulted the instructor/or didn’t, with his fists/a baseball bat/something big and dark/a rubber chicken. Most recruits did not mention the location, the date, and left out most pertinent facts. Only a few thought to write down the time of the incident despite the large clock hanging a few feet over the action. Only one noticed that the weapon used was in fact a yellow rubber chicken, and only one--not the same one--noticed that the assailant was a man with a beard wearing a long, curly blonde woman’s wig. None recognized him as one of their instructors. Only one correctly put the duration of the incident at ten seconds while the others ranged from half a minute to a minute.

Variations on this scenario are played out across the nation for new police officers because it teaches very important lessons about the nature and reliability of eyewitness testimony. If the instructor in this scenario was particularly capable, he would have pointed out all of the factors that can color eyewitness testimony and would have taught his recruits how to question witnesses to properly evaluate and to clarify, not color or coerce, their testimony.

http://confederateyankee.mu.nu/archives/cat_erik_scott_case.php

Anti Federalist
01-15-2011, 09:19 PM
What's with all of these cops shooting dogs and shooting people in the back?

A number of things.

One, is a nationwide shift in police policies that have moved responses from a vertically integrated "force continuum" to a circular one. I can't speak for all states and locales, but in my little NH town this was done at the behest of the feds through the Fed Fusion center.The real world ramifications of this are that, without any intervening action, a cop may move directly to lethal force, pretty much regardless of what force may have been used against him. All he needs to do is cite "officer safety".

Two, is a solidification of the "bunker mentality", the idea that cops are "at war" (I've posted that comment from police chiefs before) and that equates to a street attitude that roughly fleshes out to "There are only three types of people in the world, cops, cops families and scumbags".

Three, is an insurance, compensation and legal incentive to blow somebody away or taser them. Believe it or not, it "costs less" to the department to gun down a mundane than it does to physically wrestle them down and restrain them if they are belligerent or uncooperative if there are any injuries to either party. This was also made clear right in my little town and was corroborated by people in other towns and states that do the same thing I do, which is to say, make a PITA of myself to the local cops at police commission meetings and so on.

EndSlavery
01-15-2011, 10:16 PM
I think the most depressing part of this story is that the original fight was started over the location of a "vehicle registration card". I'm going to go ahead and guess that that would be a government issued card for use on government owned roads.

AFPVet
01-15-2011, 10:38 PM
A number of things.

One, is a nationwide shift in police policies that have moved responses from a vertically integrated "force continuum" to a circular one. I can't speak for all states and locales, but in my little NH town this was done at the behest of the feds through the Fed Fusion center.The real world ramifications of this are that, without any intervening action, a cop may move directly to lethal force, pretty much regardless of what force may have been used against him. All he needs to do is cite "officer safety".

Two, is a solidification of the "bunker mentality", the idea that cops are "at war" (I've posted that comment from police chiefs before) and that equates to a street attitude that roughly fleshes out to "There are only three types of people in the world, cops, cops families and scumbags".

Three, is an insurance, compensation and legal incentive to blow somebody away or taser them. Believe it or not, it "costs less" to the department to gun down a mundane than it does to physically wrestle them down and restrain them if they are belligerent or uncooperative if there are any injuries to either party. This was also made clear right in my little town and was corroborated by people in other towns and states that do the same thing I do, which is to say, make a PITA of myself to the local cops at police commission meetings and so on.

Sheez... a lot has changed since I was a cop.

DamianTV
01-16-2011, 03:30 AM
Eyewitness accounts are next to worthless when it comes to any detail at all. Clear Audio/video capture is the gold standard.

+rep