PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed: M.S. in applied Economics from georgia southern university

Legend1104
01-15-2011, 07:48 PM
I am seriously considering getting a masters in economics. I am married and cannot move to get to my nearest university. I have done some research online and found that a college called Georgia Southern University offers a completely online masters program in M.S. in applied economics.

I was looking for any suggestions, opinions, or info. Is this a legitimate university? Is a m.s. in econ. worth it? I have taken online economics courses but has anyone ever taken an entire online degree? Any other suggestions, tips, or information would be helpful.

AggieforPaul
01-15-2011, 08:02 PM
Its a real school, but I'm not sure how an employer would view an all-online degree. I'd personally be a little skeptical.

TNforPaul45
01-15-2011, 08:07 PM
Yeah, you have to keep in mind what the end-strategy is for the degree. In other words, what are you going to do with it once you get it? If you want to teach with it, you have to make sure that the degree comes with the proper accreditation(s) that your future employer/school want for their faculty.

Otherwise, yes, keep your future employer in mind with it.

Where there is a will, there is a way.

yatez112
01-15-2011, 09:39 PM
I graduated from a program in Applied Economics (MA) just this past December. I throroughly enjoyed it, but it depends on what you want to do with it that may determine its full ROI. I thought about PhD work, but didn't want to go to a 5-6yr program and be a teacher or work for the Fed. What is your motivation for the program? I would still love to work in advancing the things that most people on RPF believe in, but the intent of doing my MA program wasn't for that goal, although it doesn't hurt one bit.

I jumped from undergrad straight to grad for a multitude of reasons--job market sucked, wanted to learn more about economics and develop my own way of thinking, and obtain valuable skill sets that many jobs can use (econometrics/statistical analytics in the realm of market research, etc--not for what many Austrians dislike that topic for. :P )

So it all boils down to what you're looking to do with it, IMO. I already had a job lined up before I graduated (as well as many others in my program), so from that aspect I'm quite thrilled. Along the way I was able to take some finance classes that I learned on my own time since I didn't take any during undergrad (econ and spanish) and was also able to help in instructing intermediate microeconomics.

Feel free to ask any questions in here or PM! :)

nobody's_hero
01-15-2011, 10:18 PM
Yeah, it's legit. Probably one of the better-known schools in GA.

Legend1104
01-15-2011, 11:18 PM
I graduated from a program in Applied Economics (MA) just this past December. I throroughly enjoyed it, but it depends on what you want to do with it that may determine its full ROI. I thought about PhD work, but didn't want to go to a 5-6yr program and be a teacher or work for the Fed. What is your motivation for the program? I would still love to work in advancing the things that most people on RPF believe in, but the intent of doing my MA program wasn't for that goal, although it doesn't hurt one bit.

I jumped from undergrad straight to grad for a multitude of reasons--job market sucked, wanted to learn more about economics and develop my own way of thinking, and obtain valuable skill sets that many jobs can use (econometrics/statistical analytics in the realm of market research, etc--not for what many Austrians dislike that topic for. :P )

So it all boils down to what you're looking to do with it, IMO. I already had a job lined up before I graduated (as well as many others in my program), so from that aspect I'm quite thrilled. Along the way I was able to take some finance classes that I learned on my own time since I didn't take any during undergrad (econ and spanish) and was also able to help in instructing intermediate microeconomics.

Feel free to ask any questions in here or PM! :)

Well, I was looking for a number of things. Currently I am a teacher at a middle school (history). I hate it. I just don't believe in this system anymore, and I am looking to do something else. I wanted to learn something that I am interested in and I have been reading a lot of economics books to which I have developed a fondness for. I wanted something that was different from what I am doing, pays well, and would further my interests. I also dream of possibly running for office one day or at least being some kind of adviser and thought that economics would be a great asset (can't do the whole law school thing). Plus, with my degree in education, economics is a good choice because it does not require a specific B.A. in order to start; just some preliminary courese I would have to take.

Could you give me some ideas of some jobs that you were offered and/or your other classmates, and what those would entail doing?

doodle
01-15-2011, 11:22 PM
Be careful, too much schooling with conventional, rigid syllabi can inhibit creative thinking and risk taking.

Legend1104
01-15-2011, 11:29 PM
"Thank goodness I was never sent to school it would have rubbed off some of the originality."
Beatrix Potter

...or does this quote defeat the point.

doodle
01-15-2011, 11:34 PM
My commemt was tongue n cheek. Knowledge is power, and education is liberating. Just have to be bit careful how much and how we acquire it lol

Legend1104
01-15-2011, 11:41 PM
My commemt was tongue n cheek. Knowledge is power, and education is liberating. Just have to be bit careful how much and how we acquire it lol

I know. So was mine. I agree with ya though. Just poking fun.

yatez112
01-16-2011, 10:13 AM
Well, I was looking for a number of things. Currently I am a teacher at a middle school (history). I hate it. I just don't believe in this system anymore, and I am looking to do something else. I wanted to learn something that I am interested in and I have been reading a lot of economics books to which I have developed a fondness for. I wanted something that was different from what I am doing, pays well, and would further my interests. I also dream of possibly running for office one day or at least being some kind of adviser and thought that economics would be a great asset (can't do the whole law school thing). Plus, with my degree in education, economics is a good choice because it does not require a specific B.A. in order to start; just some preliminary courese I would have to take.

Could you give me some ideas of some jobs that you were offered and/or your other classmates, and what those would entail doing?

Well, it sounds like you have a valid reason for wanting to try something different, and no better way to do it by something that you do in fact enjoy. I volunteered with Rand's campaign and would too like to maybe do something in politics down the road. Advising would be doable, but you need to keep in mind the hierarchy of PhDs compared to MS/MA--if there's a PhD around, more than likely you or I would be working under said person, though that depends on what exactly the topic surrounds.

Most of the jobs we got starting off deal with analysis similar to econometrics. While we will look at data, there is also a role of consulting/advising clients that makes it a bit more 'artistic'. One or two others are doing straight consulting for firms, one of which is in DC. Just so happens that this area has quite a bit to offer in relation to the program! And most all of us work in conjunction with Fortune 500 companies that are not in the business of finance/banking. :) I'll PM you with specifics.

Scottm
04-06-2011, 05:40 AM
Legend,

Have you begun the Econ program? I am looking at the same situation, as the university here in Orlando does not offer Econ grad programs. If you have further explored the program, I'd like to hear about your experience. Also, the U of North Dakota has a similar online Econ program. Those two are the only ones that I have found after much exploration.

Scott

zerosdontcount
04-06-2011, 09:47 AM
GSU is an okay school, not the best, not the worst. I have taken college classes online and it sucks compared to real life teaching.

Scottm
04-07-2011, 08:42 AM
I definitely prefer a regular college atmosphere as well, however I am in proximity to exactly one university which thought it wise to discontinue Econ. If anyone has experience with either the GSU or UND Online Econ Grad programs, I'd certainly like to hear of your experience.