PDA

View Full Version : MTV Anti-Freedom "Documentary"

Flash
01-15-2011, 04:05 PM
This story was interesting. (http://freekeene.com/2011/01/05/documentary-casting-call/)Someone from MTV was doing a "casting call". They want to interview young people who are disgruntled with government. They were specifically asking the "Free Keene" crowd.

If you're easily fooled, you might think "Wow! MTV is going to have a fair and balanced portrayal of the anti-State movement! Awesome!"

It's probably going to be a hatchet job. They're probably going to make State critics look like idiots.

Remember that MTV had a "casting call" for actors at an "Obama Town Hall Meeting". "Paid actors" were pretending to be interested voters. Jon Stewart (also owned by Viacom) interviewed Obama, but he was not allowed to interrupt, and he was required to only ask questions chosen ahead of time.

There are plenty of ways that MTV could make the interviewee look stupid. The power to edit is a very strong censorship power. If you tape a 2 hour interview and selectively edit it down to 5 minutes, it's very easy to make someone look bad.

Also, MTV could interview someone who makes a weak criticism of the State. They could interview Chomsky-style pro-State fake anarchists, who believe "Property is theft!"

A lot of the "Free Keene" crowd are focused on ineffective types of activism. Someone called this "activism theater". Compare this with agorism, which is much more effective. There may be active agorist groups in New Hampshire. I haven't heard much about them.

For example, the "Free Keene" has done the following types of stupid activism:

playing a drinking game at a city council meeting (fighting the State on its turf)
publicly smoking marijuana (marijuana really is bad for you)
publicly drinking alcohol (also bad for you)
public nudity (amusing, but doesn't harm the State)
driving without a State driver's license or State license plates (That is poor tactics. You're just daring State thugs to kidnap you and steal your car.)
paying property taxes in $1 bills (That just annoys some low-ranking bureaucrat.)
I noticed there's a lot of "People who criticize the State are insane!" propaganda spreading. I assert the opposite, that statists are insane. The pro-State and anti-State viewpoints are logically contradictory. If you're debating a statist, you're making well-formed arguments and they're spouting incoherent gibberish. The statist says "My arguments make sense and you're spouting incoherent gibberish." It's very frustrating.

It would be nice to see the freedom viewpoint accurately portrayed in the mainstream media. I doubt MTV is going to do that. They're probably just looking for people to ridicule, as a form of pro-State trolling.

For now, people like Ron Paul and Andrew Napolitano are the limits of the "debate ceiling". It nice that they're the most freedom-oriented viewpoint in the mainstream media, which deserves some respect. It's frustrating, because they're also shills for the State. That's a tough question. Do you have some self-censorship, so you can be on TV and avoid being jailed for treason, or do you tell the full truth?

This "MTV documentary" is almost definitely a hatchet job. I doubt it will be a fair presentation of anarchists. In statist circles, the lie is spreading "People who criticize big government are insane, racist, and dangerous." It's a new aspect of pro-State brainwashing that's developed, as a reaction to people spreading the truth.

http://fskrealityguide.blogspot.com/2011/01/mtv-anti-freedom-documentary.html

lester1/2jr
01-15-2011, 04:11 PM
they are having a show about these people, not the anti state movement. Think about it: WHy would MTV want to have a special about the anti state movement? It's MTV! It's entertainment. They want to see a bnch of crazy kids. Hopefully some philosophy will slip though.

mczerone
01-15-2011, 04:34 PM
This blogger has bought into the "activism theater" is stupid and doesn't promote liberty mindset, without any empirical data.

While some people, especially "statists" are likely to group all activism done by any people into a single "free stater" collective, this blogger seems to be adopting that collective for himself, and not letting others do what they think is effective.

The MTV thing: I think that if the show actually uses some video of activism (4:20 rallies, topless activism, open carry activism), or what this blogger considers to be "less than perfect" philosophies, it could resonate with the boobus MTV crowd. It might be a very good thing to show the MTV crowd that there are people that are trying to make sure that it remains legal to have fun, even when prudes try to make it illegal.

The only bad press is no press.

Dreamofunity
01-15-2011, 04:57 PM
I don't know, I've always thought MTV has been fair during their True Life series.

roho76
01-15-2011, 05:12 PM
I don't know, I've always thought MTV has been fair during their True Life series.

Come on guys. The Real World is Real Life. It's the most accurate portrayal of...never mind I can't even keep typing this without laughing.

Vessol
01-15-2011, 06:08 PM
MTV still exists?

dannno
01-15-2011, 06:15 PM
MTV has been very closely monitored and run by the Free Masons for quite some time.

Anti Federalist
01-15-2011, 07:02 PM
For example, the "Free Keene" has done the following types of stupid activism:

playing a drinking game at a city council meeting (fighting the State on its turf)
publicly smoking marijuana (marijuana really is bad for you)
publicly drinking alcohol (also bad for you)
public nudity (amusing, but doesn't harm the State)
driving without a State driver's license or State license plates (That is poor tactics. You're just daring State thugs to kidnap you and steal your car.)
paying property taxes in $1 bills (That just annoys some low-ranking bureaucrat.)
I noticed there's a lot of "People who criticize the State are insane!" propaganda spreading. I assert the opposite, that statists are insane. The pro-State and anti-State viewpoints are logically contradictory. If you're debating a statist, you're making well-formed arguments and they're spouting incoherent gibberish. The statist says "My arguments make sense and you're spouting incoherent gibberish." It's very frustrating.

Hmmm, makes me wonder what the writer of this blog would consider "smart activism"?

And how much of it he or she has actually done?

I've come to find out that the people that bitch the loudest about how "You're Doing It Wrong!!!" or "You're Making Us All Look Krazy!!!" are the ones who, generally, don't do a fucking thing.

Anti Federalist
01-15-2011, 07:19 PM
MTV still exists?

LolZ

Dreamofunity
01-15-2011, 08:17 PM
Come on guys. The Real World is Real Life. It's the most accurate portrayal of...never mind I can't even keep typing this without laughing.

True Life is a lot different from The Real World, it has a more objective 'don't interfer' documentary feel - not great by any standards, but there have been some decent ones.

axiomata
01-15-2011, 08:51 PM
The classic MTV VJ Kurt Loder now does pop culture writing at Reason.