PDA

View Full Version : The First WikiLeaks Revolution?

CaseyJones
01-15-2011, 10:20 AM
http://wikileaks.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2011/01/13/wikileaks_and_the_tunisia_protests

Tunisians didn't need any more reasons to protest when they took to the streets these past weeks -- food prices were rising, corruption was rampant, and unemployment was staggering. But we might also count Tunisia as the first time that WikiLeaks pushed people over the brink. These protests are also about the country's utter lack of freedom of expression -- including when it comes to WikiLeaks.

tangent4ronpaul
01-15-2011, 10:52 AM
The United States citizens didn't need any more reasons to protest when they took to the streets these past weeks -- food prices were rising, corruption was rampant, and unemployment was staggering. But we might also count The United States as the first time that WikiLeaks pushed people over the brink. These protests are also about the country's utter lack of freedom of expression -- including when it comes to WikiLeaks.

That seems to work too. I bet it would work for a bunch of other countries also.

-t

t0rnado
01-15-2011, 10:54 AM
Wikileaks revealed that the banks in Iceland were insanely corrupt before their government collapsed. Their leaks resulted in a change of power in some other African country as well.

puppetmaster
01-15-2011, 11:02 AM
bet if they released how corrupt our banks were nothing would happen......

idirtify
01-15-2011, 11:49 AM
if they released how corrupt our banks were

Wikileaks/Assange said that was gonna happen after the new year. What happened? Did I miss it?

tangent4ronpaul
01-15-2011, 11:51 AM
Wikileaks/Assange said that was gonna happen after the new year. What happened? Did I miss it?

Paul said he was going to announce after the new year too.

-t

Churchill2004
01-15-2011, 11:56 AM
Actually, this is the 3rd Wikileaks Revolution. Iceland's government fell because of a Wikileak, as did (more in the fashion of Tunisia) the government of Kenya in 2007. The role played by WL in Iceland and Tunisia is probably marginal, though significant, but in Kenya WL was pretty much the primary reason the government was overthrown by popular revolt.