PDA

View Full Version : Saw a Ron Paul 2012 billboard today!

starless
01-14-2011, 10:14 PM
I was driving on the 215 in Las Vegas, and there used to be a billboard that said "Read The Constitution". As I was driving past tonight my jaw dropped as I saw a HUGE "Ron Paul 2012- A New Beginning" billboard in place of the old one. It was really sharp and professional, I wish I could have stopped to have a picture of it.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm34/alecyeager/rpnear.jpg

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm34/alecyeager/rpfar.jpg

Ekrub
01-14-2011, 10:26 PM
Very cool! Any idea who owns it? I'd love to see a pic if you get a chance to drive by again

trey4sports
01-14-2011, 10:32 PM
The Revolution Begins!

ronpaulhawaii
01-14-2011, 10:38 PM
The Revolution Begins

Don't you mean, "Continues" ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnUJGekaHEI

Wren
01-14-2011, 10:43 PM
Don't you mean, "Continues" ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnUJGekaHEI

"Vote for America, not a party!"

Who else thinks that should be our 2012 slogan?

Bruno
01-14-2011, 11:14 PM
We need to start getting these going in Des Moines, as well as Iowa in general and New Hampshire.

sailingaway
01-14-2011, 11:23 PM
Woot!

Now there's a reason to go to Las Vegas!

qwerty
01-14-2011, 11:35 PM
Awesome!!! :)

Reason
01-14-2011, 11:35 PM
awesome

LisaNY
01-15-2011, 12:05 AM
Wow!!!!

If anybody in New York wants to chip in for a RP Billboard let me know.

StilesBC
01-15-2011, 12:36 AM
"Vote for America, not a party!"

Who else thinks that should be our 2012 slogan?

I'm thinking something like "Ideas over personalities"

Pauls' Revere
01-15-2011, 02:27 AM
Principles over Politics

Also, perhaps we could get more done if we divide the labor. Agree to have a design or slogan and those of us unable to make it to Iowa can send signs and material to a locale where someone on the ground in Iowa can distribute them. I would certainly paint yard signs and send them, imagine if hundreds of us did that we could make thousands of signs. Might even be cool to put the state abbrv of where they came from to show people our national support.

:D

t0rnado
01-15-2011, 03:04 AM
Principles over Politics

Also, perhaps we could get more done if we divide the labor. Agree to have a design or slogan and those of us unable to make it to Iowa can send signs and material to a locale where someone on the ground in Iowa can distribute them. I would certainly paint yard signs and send them, imagine if hundreds of us did that we could make thousands of signs. Might even be cool to put the state abbrv of where they came from to show people our national support.

After Ron announces, we need to have a contest on the forum for the best slogan, logo, etc. I'll even put down a couple of ounces of silver and give them to the winners of the contests.

starless
01-17-2011, 05:14 PM
Updated with crappy cell phone pics I took as I was driving home today.

Matt Collins
01-17-2011, 05:27 PM
If anybody in New York wants to chip in for a RP Billboard let me know.Yes this is exciting, but it's also a waste of money!

Billboards don't win elections.

Door to door, mailings, phone banking, and TV/radio ads win elections.

The money for a billboard could be much better spent to directly identify and target voters.

Orgoonian
01-17-2011, 05:47 PM
Viva Las Vegas!

RonPaulFanInGA
01-17-2011, 05:59 PM
Some tweets:

http://twitter.com/MitchTruswell/statuses/26359056209805312

Ugh. Just saw a Ron Paul for Pres. Billboard. Not over the last election-too soon

http://twitter.com/SamanthaGOTV/statuses/25688034187943937

Ugh. Just passed a Ron Paul 2012 billboard. #crazy

http://twitter.com/LibertyPyro/statuses/26139066361712640

Saw a Ron Paul 2012 billboard today!

http://twitter.com/Dino_TGDD/statuses/25605100147843072

Saw a Ron Paul 2012 Billboard last night in Vegas.... Heaven help us, the new election cycle has started :(

sailingaway
01-17-2011, 06:02 PM
I was driving on the 215 in Las Vegas, and there used to be a billboard that said "Read The Constitution". As I was driving past tonight my jaw dropped as I saw a HUGE "Ron Paul 2012- A New Beginning" billboard in place of the old one. It was really sharp and professional, I wish I could have stopped to have a picture of it.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm34/alecyeager/rpnear.jpg

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm34/alecyeager/rpfar.jpg

Very, very cool!!

rprprs
01-17-2011, 06:02 PM
Principles over Politics

I like that ^.

sailingaway
01-17-2011, 06:31 PM
I like that ^.

There is a whole thread from 2007-2008 on this stuff in the activist thread lower down in the forums. One of the ones I saw was:

"Ron Paul, pissing off the government since 1978" which I liked.

Here's the old thread: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?669-The-Ron-Paul-Slogan-Factory&p=3040409#post3040409

AGRP
01-17-2011, 06:46 PM
Meanwhile, this will get zero media attention compared to Bush "miss me yet?" billboards.

kah13176
01-17-2011, 07:11 PM
I saw one of those "where's the birth certificate" billboards today.

Romulus
01-18-2011, 12:11 PM
Exciting to see!

Name recognition is huge..

Deborah K
01-18-2011, 12:25 PM
I like that ^.

I like it too! A lot!!

Natalie
01-18-2011, 12:26 PM
//

agar
01-18-2011, 03:29 PM
Yes this is exciting, but it's also a waste of money!

The money for a billboard could be much better spent to directly identify and target voters.

This is 100% correct!

The time and money wasted by these activities should be going towards postcard mailing and TV/radio ad campaigns targeting Iowa and New Hampshire ONLY.

Unless Ron breaks out early in one of those early states, then all of the sign waving and highway blogging in places like Arizona, New York etc is a total waste of money and time.

sailingaway
01-18-2011, 03:37 PM
This is 100% correct!

The time and money wasted by these activities should be going towards postcard mailing and TV/radio ad campaigns targeting Iowa and New Hampshire ONLY.

Unless Ron breaks out early in one of those early states, then all of the sign waving and highway blogging in places like Arizona, New York etc is a total waste of money and time.

Except to fire up the troops.

Which isn't incidental.

ItsTime
01-18-2011, 03:46 PM

Or funding a blimp! We need that thing in New Hampshire 24/7!

HazyHusky420
01-18-2011, 03:47 PM
Vegas has always been one of the more libertarian cities in America so i'm not surprised in the least.

HazyHusky420
01-18-2011, 03:48 PM
Meanwhile, this will get zero media attention compared to Bush "miss me yet?" billboards.

Every time I see those I feel like violating the property rights of the sign's owners.

Liberty_Mike
01-18-2011, 04:31 PM
Hopefully Ron announces soon. I will not do anything for him until he announces. If you want the grass roots to get to work, announce your presidency Dr. Paul! We are all waiting impatiently.

Kregisen
01-18-2011, 05:05 PM
Hopefully Ron announces soon. I will not do anything for him until he announces. If you want the grass roots to get to work, announce your presidency Dr. Paul! We are all waiting impatiently.

The rhetoric about the tucson shooting is still too strong. Keep waiting until it dies down.

JoshLowry
01-18-2011, 05:18 PM

Some of us are not waiting... :D

brandon
01-18-2011, 05:23 PM
This is awesome! I'm pumped

Eric21ND
01-18-2011, 10:40 PM
We need to start getting these going in Des Moines, as well as Iowa in general and New Hampshire.
+1776

R3volutionJedi
01-19-2011, 03:13 PM
Cool video! Hey, are you the guy from "For Liberty" the documentary? I watched it a few days ago! It was really cool!

ronpaulhawaii
01-19-2011, 03:57 PM
Cool video! Hey, are you the guy from "For Liberty" the documentary? I watched it a few days ago! It was really cool!
Quite a few of us are in the documentary, but if you mean the ugly mug that opens it, yeah that's me... Welcome to the forums.

roho76
01-19-2011, 04:11 PM

Jeez, Matt. Don't be a:

http://ielstyle.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/debbie_downer.jpg

The campaign hasn't even started yet. This is glorious.

Matt Collins
01-19-2011, 04:17 PM
Jeez, Matt. Don't be a:[/IMG]

The campaign hasn't even started yet. This is glorious.
No it's not glorious. It's a waste of funds, unless it was free. Billboards don't win elections. Voter ID and targeting wins elections.

VegasPatriot
01-19-2011, 04:34 PM
No it's not glorious. It's a waste of funds, unless it was free. Billboards don't win elections. Voter ID and targeting wins elections.
C'mon Matt... we all come from different backgrounds with different ideas and different talents. We do not fit into a box. If you have an idea, great... go with it. But don't expect everyone to conform to your idea of how to win. Me personally... I make videos and signs (or at least that's what I did last campaign). I don't know how many times some RP supporters told me to stop wasting my time... signs don't win elections... delegates do. Well here in Nevada we kicked ass; and if it wasn't for the shady works of Sue Lowden and Bob Beers we would have swept the delegates for Nevada. If someone has an idea I say go with it, don't discourage anyone... or they might just go away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS5TwU-Pthw

sailingaway
01-19-2011, 04:44 PM
C'mon Matt... we all come from different backgrounds with different ideas and different talents. We do not fit into a box. If you have an idea, great... go with it. But don't expect everyone to conform to your idea of how to win. Me personally... I make videos and signs (or at least that's what I did last campaign). I don't know how many times some RP supporters told me to stop wasting my time... signs don't win elections... delegates do. Well here in Nevada we kicked ass; and if it wasn't for the shady works of Sue Lowden and Bob Beers we would have swept the delegates for Nevada. If someone has an idea I say go with it, don't discourage anyone... or they might just go away.

Don't go away!!

Make videos!!

They are absolutely how I found out about Ron Paul....or at least how I got motivated to bother researching him.

Personally, I throw mailings away. But that might be in part because I live in LA and we get fistfuls around the elections.

That's a great video, and educational....

speciallyblend
01-19-2011, 04:53 PM

totally disagree, the signs and the people on the street actually wake more folks up etc to what we are doing! They do help open doors and discussions and various other angles!!

Gin
01-20-2011, 11:22 AM

Right on Patriot, I totally agree with you. And Matt it has been proven time and again that Billboards DO Work. But also agree that we need boots on the ground as well. Ron Paul has gotten a lot of attention in the past 3-4 yrs, the more attention he gets, the more folks see his name in lights, the more likely they will be to vote for him simply for the name recognition. Not everyone cares about listening to folks coming to their door.. think about it... There is no ONE way to get Ron nominated. We must hit from multiple directions. I firmly believe in the Paint the Town Ron Events. It shows incentive and true Grassroots support to see Homemade signs and billboards Everywhere you turn.. I say lets do it all.. Paint Iowa and New Hampshire Ron, hold sign waves, go door to door... leave no stone unturned...

As far as waiting for Ron to make his announcement.. phewy... if Ron sees RON PAUL 2012 signs and bumper stickers coming out, he Will run.. He has already said that if there is a need and a desire for him to run then he will... It's up to the Grassroots to convince him that we need him in the whitehouse...

For now... CPAC '11.. let's Completely saturate the Marriott with RP and Campaign for Liberty supporters... It's not an occasion to be missed!! Besides.. Both Ron and Rand will be speaking at the Liberty Forum....

See everyone there...

The R[EVOL]TION CONTINUES............ 2012!!

Romulus
01-20-2011, 12:37 PM

Disagree.. Billboards are NOT a waste.. they give name recognition and spur discussions. They are beneficial.. ALL signage is beneficial.

If you're 60 years old, and someone knocks on your door saying vote for Mr.X, are you going to listen if you never heard of him? Or are you going to listen because you saw his billboard, yard signs and heard the town talking about Mr.X?

Matt Collins
01-20-2011, 12:51 PM
Have you people not learned ANYTHING in the last 4 years?!?!

Billboards, signs and blimps might excite people, BUT THEY DON'T WIN ELECTIONS!!!

Please learn from history!

What wins elections is identifying voters, targeting voters with specific marketing, getting them out to vote, and good PR. The grassroots can't do much about the PR, but they can do EVERYTHING with the identification and targeting of voters.

And Matt it has been proven time and again that Billboards DO Work. Not if you're trying to win an election.

totally disagree, the signs and the people on the street actually wake more folks up etc to what we are doing! They do help open doors and discussions and various other angles!!Of course, but realize that is not the same objective as winning an election.

But don't expect everyone to conform to your idea of how to win. You should've instead said "what winning means". That part is subjective. The steps to win an election are not as it has been proven time and time again.

Me personally... I make videos and signs (or at least that's what I did last campaign). I don't know how many times some RP supporters told me to stop wasting my time
That's great, but no one knew any better back then. After Ron's glorious electoral loss, and Rand's glorious win, we now know how to win elections. Well at least those of us who are paying attention do.

If you 60 years old, and someone knocks on your door saying vote for Mr.X, are you going to listen if you never heard of him? Yes actually. I've seen it dozens if not hundreds of times in the last few years. When was the last time you went door knocking for candidates?

sailingaway
01-20-2011, 01:03 PM

Billboards, signs and blimps might excite people, BUT THEY DON'T WIN ELECTIONS!!!

Please learn from history!

What wins elections is identifying voters, targeting voters with specific marketing, getting them out to vote, and good PR. The grassroots can't do much about the PR, but they can do EVERYTHING with the identification and targeting of voters.

Not if you're trying to win an election.

Of course, but realize that is not the same objective as winning an election.

You should've instead said "what winning means". That part is subjective. The steps to win an election are not as it has been proven time and time again.

That's great, but no one knew any better back then. After Ron's glorious electoral loss, and Rand's glorious win, we now know how to win elections. Well at least those of us who are paying attention do.

Yes actually. I've seen it dozens if not hundreds of times in the last few years. When was the last time you went door knocking for candidates?

I am not interested in listening to people who knock at my door for candidates. I'll get out there for Ron, and will try to be engaging about it, but I'm pissed when people interrupt me at home whether for magazines or for candidates. I can find out which candidates I want on my own. Different things work for different people and Ron Paul supporters' techniques were taken by even non-RP parts of the tea party BECAUSE THEY CAPTURE THE IMAGINATION.

Mailings may be effective, and we will do them, but they are no fun, and many throw them away. I would suggest we do some VERY EARLY before they become background noise, as well as the ones right before the election. Canvassing we will do, but in non conservative areas UNLIKE Kentucky, finding neighborhoods to target will miss a lot of people who could at least be intrigued by billboards etc. What works in KY where Jack the Ripper isn't expected to be the person knocking on your door with no invitation is different from what works elsewhere where people just say 'not interested' if they even open the door. And some of those people might BE interested if they looked into it themselves. We need to do everything.

I ABSOLUTELY agree we need to get a phone bank database set up like the one Rand used, to target those interested and get out the vote, etc. I volunteer to work on it when it is set up. But we should get people thinking about him, as well.

JoshLowry
01-20-2011, 01:10 PM

Chill pill?

sailingaway
01-20-2011, 01:13 PM
//

Wesker1982
01-20-2011, 01:14 PM
Steve Ballmer agrees with advertising

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTkA9L2J2gY

Matt Collins
01-20-2011, 01:18 PM
I am not interested in listening to people who knock at my door for candidates. You may not be, but you are not the average voter either!

It works, I've seen it happen, and I've won elections like this.

but I'm pissed when people interrupt me at home whether for magazines or for candidates. I can find out which candidates I want on my own. Of course, but you are not like most voters.

But let me ask you this, if there was a mini-Ron Paul running for your county commission, and he knocked on your door, or someone knocked on your door on their behalf, wouldn't you be grateful to know about it?

Most conservatives would be thrilled to know about a fellow conservative running for office and being told about it in person. Many are in fact appreciative that someone took the time to come to their house to tell them about the candidate!

Remember most voters still don't get their information from the Internet like you and I do.

Mailings may be effective, and we will do them, but they are no fun, and many throw them away. I would suggest we do some VERY EARLY before they become background noise, as well as the ones right before the election. Canvassing we will do, but in non conservative areas UNLIKE Kentucky, finding neighborhoods to target will miss a lot of people who could at least be intrigued by billboards etc. What works in KY where Jack the Ripper isn't expected to be the person knocking on your door with no invitation is different from what works elsewhere where people just say 'not interested' if they even open the door. And some of those people might BE interested if they looked into it themselves. We need to do everything.I don't understand what you are saying here. But how many doors have you knocked on for campaigns? How many campaigns have you gone door knocking for?

I ABSOLUTELY agree we need to get a phone bank database set up like the one Rand used, to target those interested and get out the vote, etc. I volunteer to work on it when it is set up. But we should get people thinking about him, as well.Exactly. But in 2008 we neglected the targeting and lost the election miserably because of it.

Matt Collins
01-20-2011, 01:20 PM
Chill pill?
Probably needed yes but it's just frustrating to see people about to make the exact same mistakes over again when the proof of why it's a mistake is right in front of them...grr...

http://www.sancarlosblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/Bang-Head-Here.jpg

ronpaulhawaii
01-20-2011, 01:20 PM
you people

wow. how disappointing...

Matt, collectively yelling at individuals is not a very effective cat-herding technique

... jus sayin...

RonPaulFanInGA
01-20-2011, 01:28 PM
Matt Collins is still ranting against grassroots projects. Remember this?

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?40432

sailingaway
01-20-2011, 01:30 PM
But let me ask you this, if there was a mini-Ron Paul running for your county commission, and he knocked on your door, or someone knocked on your door on their behalf, wouldn't you be grateful to know about it?

Most conservatives would be thrilled to know about a fellow conservative running for office and being told about it in person. Many are in fact appreciative that someone took the time to come to their house to tell them about the candidate!

In areas near Kentucky, right?

I don't understand what you are saying here. But how many doors have you knocked on for campaigns? How many campaigns have you gone door knocking for?

Exactly. But in 2008 we neglected the targeting and lost the election miserably because of it.

I have not knocked on doors for one campaign, but I know how I treated those who knocked. However, I registered here and at DP so I could get involved in this one, including in canvassing. I agree it needs to be done. I don't think we need to be a wet blanket for the more imaginative, and intriguing efforts though, which are a trademark of Ron Paul's campaign. I am here because of discussions in forums and because of videos, initially. I would not have looked into him, otherwise. I live in a very Democratic state, and no one was discussing Ron Paul at the office, I assure you. But while Ron might not win our state in a general, because there are so many Dems, there is no reason he shouldn't get support in a primary election.

I have lived BOTH in rural/suburban Illinois and in 'suburban' Los Angeles, and cities are different. For one thing, many neighborhoods are pretty well filled of luxury/security condos/apts. The more dense the residential area, the more likely access will be limited to the residents. In my part of town there are single family houses, but these pockets are between the much more densely inhabited areas. We need to reach more voters than door to door knocking will reach. Also, the bigger the city, the less open people are to having their door knocked on because their exposure to it tends to be negative. For example, living here as long as I have, girl / boy scouts have only come to the door twice, and they were friends of my kids'. They sell at grocery store parking lots and starbucks. People just don't casually interact with strangers the same way. Again, I've lived in rural Illinois, and I am telling you, the difference is indescribable -- but needs to be taken into account to make a dent in areas where Ron DIDN'T do well last time.

And I'm not saying he'd win my area, but there are those in between mine and yours where intriguing ads and billboards can get him a higher profile.

Romulus
01-20-2011, 01:31 PM
Yes actually. I've seen it dozens if not hundreds of times in the last few years. When was the last time you went door knocking for candidates?

I contribute where I can thank you. But by your logic, should we not have yard signs either? The fact is, branding and marketing do work. Targeted branding and marketing work even better, and I get what you're saying, but branding creates name recognition, which creates a sense of familiarity and openness to listening and accepting ideas and support. I firmly believe name recognition and the bandwagon effect play an important role in elections and signage is crucial in those areas.

Matt Collins
01-20-2011, 01:53 PM

Yes I do, and the same principles still stand. How many votes did the blimp get Ron back in 2008?

sailingaway
01-20-2011, 01:56 PM
Yes I do, and the same principles still stand. How many votes did the blimp get Ron back in 2008?

Hard to say. It sure made a lot of news shows, and was intriguing. I was intrigued. Whose supporters would DO such a thing? All that work! Mind you, I might have thought it less a good buy for the money if I knew it couldn't fly in so many of the key times due to weather..... but it was a learning experience, and he is STILL known for that blimp, two years later.

ronpaulhawaii
01-20-2011, 01:57 PM

You are the only one talking about the blimp here. And that is a straw man argument. Keep digging Matt, and maybe I'll start asking questions like how many campaigns did "you" (the singular you) win?

Matt Collins
01-20-2011, 01:58 PM
In areas near Kentucky, right?
And TN.

I have not knocked on doors for one campaign,
Well there ya go, thanks for admitting that you have zero experience with this.

but I know how I treated those who knocked. Again, you are not most people.

However, I registered here and at DP so I could get involved in this one, including in canvassing. I agree it needs to be done. I I am glad you realize that.

But I too have never gone door knocking in my immediate area because it would be a waste of time. The demographics in my area will NOT lend themselves to a RP campaign.

And I'm not saying he'd win my area, but there are those in between mine and yours where intriguing ads and billboards can get him a higher profile.Well the trick is to work the areas that he has a chance to win, go after the low hanging fruit, not the impossible neighborhoods (or states for that matter).

Matt Collins
01-20-2011, 02:02 PM
But by your logic, should we not have yard signs either? Yard signs are ok, but they are not what wins elections either. If yard signs win elections, we'd be saying "President Paul" right now.

Yard signs have a purpose, but they are very limited.

The fact is, branding and marketing do work. Targeted branding and marketing work even better, and I get what you're saying, but branding creates name recognition, which creates a sense of familiarity and openness to listening and accepting ideas and support. I firmly believe name recognition and the bandwagon effect play an important role in electionsOf course absolutely.

and signage is crucial in those areas.Not compared to direct marketing. Signs tend to reaffirm a person's decision to vote for a candidate, but they don't tend to make people decide to vote for someone.

sailingaway
01-20-2011, 02:03 PM
Well the trick is to work the areas that he has a chance to win, go after the low hanging fruit, not the impossible neighborhoods (or states for that matter).

My point is I don't think they are impossible, but need to be reached differently, and even the areas that won't block vote for Ron do provide donors. These areas are impacted by billboards and creative supporter events that are reported in the news or just capture the imagination. I am saying we need to do the walking and targeting. YOU are saying we should completely give up on everything else to the point where you are irritated if people are thrilled about a billboard. That is what I disagree with.

And as for those impossible states, what % of Ron and Rands DONORS were from California and New York?

Romulus
01-20-2011, 02:03 PM
So a billboard in a RIGHT area is positive? Its not that billboards are bad, its that misdirected, vague advertising can be wasteful.

In the RIGHT areas, billboards, along with, other signage, that carries a consistent brand message, is crucial to name recognition.

A complete, balanced package is the key, not any one certain thing.

VegasPatriot
01-20-2011, 02:20 PM
Yes Matt, targeted marketing works. So I take it you think the only target is republican voters. See, that's where I disagree... right now my target is everyone. Democrats, Republicans and people who have never voted. Right now we must convince non republicans to become Ron Paul republicans. After the deadline is over to change political parties is the time to target republicans.

And I can't wait till we do another Ron Paul on the Las Vegas strip event!:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzViTul3GzA

sailingaway
01-20-2011, 02:32 PM
Yes Matt, targeted marketing works. So I take it you think the only target is republican voters. See, that's where I disagree... right now my target is everyone. Democrats, Republicans and people who have never voted. Right now we must convince non republicans to become Ron Paul republicans. After the deadline is over to change political parties is the time to target republicans.

And I can't wait till we do another Ron Paul on the Las Vegas strip event!:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzViTul3GzA

And that is a HUGE point, these events become killer videos and the presence of all that grass root activity is exciting, no question.

I have forwarded a TON of videos to friends in the last two years, which have footage of various Ron Paul group events. They are good to get someone's attention in areas where there ISN'T as much RP activity.

Matt Collins
01-20-2011, 03:19 PM
Yes Matt, targeted marketing works. So I take it you think the only target is republican voters. See, that's where I disagree... right now my target is everyone. Democrats, Republicans and people who have never voted. Right now we must convince non republicans to become Ron Paul republicans. After the deadline is over to change political parties is the time to target republicans.But that's very ineffective for actually getting people to vote for Ron. The average Republican voter is much more likely to vote for Ron than the average Democrat.

My point is I don't think they are impossible, but need to be reached differently, and even the areas that won't block vote for Ron do provide donors. These areas are impacted by billboards and creative supporter events that are reported in the news or just capture the imagination.But that doesn't win votes. The effort and money there could be used much more efficiently if it were used for targeting likely Republican voters.

And as for those impossible states, what % of Ron and Rands DONORS were from California and New York?But that doesn't equate to votes.

sailingaway
01-20-2011, 03:27 PM
But that's very ineffective for actually getting people to vote for Ron. The average Republican voter is much more likely to vote for Ron than the average Democrat.

Did you know Ron is hands down tops with INDEPENDENTS of any GOP candidate polled for the presidential election? And way ahead of Obama, as well. PPP polled independents and so did Rasmussen in its head to head poll against Obama. Taking ONLY GOP, Ron was back in the pack, but when you added in independents, well, that is how you got to Rasmussen's poll showing Ron at 41% and Obama at 42%.

And now there are more independents than GOP or Dems.

We NEED those independents to be in the GOP primaries, to win the primary.

I mean, obviously there is getting out the message, gaining incremental support for policies, laying groundwork for other liberty candidates.... but for votes, we need independents to register GOP.

Matt Collins
01-20-2011, 03:30 PM
Did you know Ron is hands down tops with INDEPENDENTS of any GOP candidate polled for the presidential election? And way ahead of Obama, as well. PPP polled independents and so did Rasmussen in its head to head poll against Obama. Taking ONLY GOP, Ron was back in the pack, but when you added in independents, well, that is how you got to Rasmussen's poll showing Ron at 41% and Obama at 42%.

And now there are more independents than GOP or Dems.

We NEED those independents to be in the GOP primaries, to win the primary.You're right! And notice I never said anything about independents (which in many states don't matter due to closed primaries).

sailingaway
01-20-2011, 03:31 PM
You're right! And notice I never said anything about independents (which in many states don't matter due to closed primaries).

The first half of your sentence doesn't seem to fit with your paranthetical. They matter if they REGISTER GOP before the cut off and that is what general, un-GOP targeted advertising such as billboards can do at this stage --raise interest for people to want to register GOP.

Matt Collins
01-20-2011, 03:52 PM
They matter if they REGISTER GOP before the cut off and that is what general, un-GOP targeted advertising such as billboards can do at this stage --raise interest for people to want to register GOP.Yes and VERY few people will ever do this. Our campaign had the most people register just to vote for a single candidate no doubt. But again, the people that will actually register R just to vote for Ron is not anywhere close enough to make much of a difference. It's all about inertia. Again, the low hanging fruit, especially in closed primary states, are the likely Republican voters. They are the easiest to reach and where targeting will pay off the most. This is basic marketing 101, not rocket science. :-)

sailingaway
01-20-2011, 04:48 PM
Yes and VERY few people will ever do this. Our campaign had the most people register just to vote for a single candidate no doubt. But again, the people that will actually register R just to vote for Ron is not anywhere close enough to make much of a difference. It's all about inertia. Again, the low hanging fruit, especially in closed primary states, are the likely Republican voters. They are the easiest to reach and where targeting will pay off the most. This is basic marketing 101, not rocket science. :-)

I'm really not sure 'inertia' is the identifying factor amongst Ron Paul supporters and would be supporters.

VegasPatriot
01-20-2011, 04:49 PM
Yes and VERY few people will ever do this. Our campaign had the most people register just to vote for a single candidate no doubt. But again, the people that will actually register R just to vote for Ron is not anywhere close enough to make much of a difference. It's all about inertia. Again, the low hanging fruit, especially in closed primary states, are the likely Republican voters. They are the easiest to reach and where targeting will pay off the most. This is basic marketing 101, not rocket science. :-)
The whole idea is to get as many RP republicans to become delegates to the state conventions, right? Then why would you limit your target to only republicans so soon? That makes no sense to me... if anything we should specifically target anti war democrats to switch parties for the simple reason there is only one anti war republican. And you admit that independents could be a valuable source of new republicans. Don't discount more than half the populace before we get started. You say very few will register as republicans simply to vote for RP... I say BS. In southern Nevada we had hundreds, if not thousands of new RP republicans and they were very active (I know, I was one of them). If our convention was conducted properly, we would have sweep all the Nevada delegates. I say target big now, and focus that target to only republicans the closer we get to our caucus or primary deadlines.

MRoCkEd
01-20-2011, 04:54 PM

Matt did have that one right...

He's also right that billboards are a very ineffective way of getting votes, though they may serve other purposes.

muzzled dogg
01-20-2011, 05:52 PM
!!!!!!!!!!

ronpaulhawaii
01-20-2011, 07:18 PM

He's also right that billboards are a very ineffective way of getting votes, though they may serve other purposes.

Well, I guess I should have clicked the link. Mea Culpa.

That still does not change my disappointment in seeing grassroots initiative being shat upon and an inspiring motivating thread derailed. VP said it best, "Don't drive them away." Of course Matt is right that billboards are ineffective for GOTV, but it is these other purposes you mention that seem to be missing from his argument. I'm pretty much in agreement that we need to do a much better job at traditional GOTV this time around, but the tact I am seeing here for bringing that about leaves much to be desired.

Different tactics are appropo for different areas of the country. Billboards work (for name recognition) in the desert better than they do elsewhere. In other areas, it is almost a requirement for large signs to be put up (Ask Glen Bradley).

One size will never fit all

It is quite early to be complaining about where people choose to spend their money, and we don't even know the circumstances of this billboard. The one we visited making the documentary didn't cost squat. Scrap plywood and paint... The structure was donated. Hell for all we know some foreigner "paid" for this one. We just don't know, so coming in here and pissing on others enthusiasm is just wrong.

Others here are making other valuable points regarding building and maintaining the grassroots base. Victory parties don't get votes either, and some would consider them wasteful of donated money that could be used for the re-election campaign... But we don't see Matt complaining about them, do we?

LibertyRevolution
01-20-2011, 09:30 PM

I disagree with you on this. Where to begin...

Door to door...Nothing says creepy like you coming up to my door telling me to convert.

Mail .. All political mail we receive goes directly into the trash.
I asked my friends and family, they say they may look at the pictures on the outside, then they go into the trash usually unread.
So to me, I see mailers are a huge waste of money.
We laughed about at the amount of mailers from McMillions and how much it must have cost her.
All Strait into the trash.

Phonebanking ... We have caller ID, As do most people I know.
We don't answer telemarketers/phonebank calls.
Receiving many messages on my answering machine from McCain last year made me want to vote for him even less...
So annoying messages to delete and annoying robocalls are total fail.

Radio ..this is the age of mp3, who the hell listens to commercial radio?
And if you are somehow stuck with only radio, who doesn't change the channel when a commercial comes on?

I like billboards. Billboards are huge. Lots of people see them.
You pass them everyday going to work.
They are short but powerful messages.
Messages that stick in your head.
Come up with like 20 different board with different short statements.
Stuff like:
Ron Paul - For peace in our time.
Ron Paul - 2008 was just a warm up.
Ron Paul - The federal in "federal reserve" is no more federal than in "federal express".
Ron Paul - We just marched in, We can just come home.
Ron Paul - For life without the IRS

Then rent every board in the cities and put them up.
But you have to rent every board you can your hands on.
If he has a board everywhere, it will make he seems like a front runner.
I mean if everywhere you look its Ron Paul. The guy must have something going on.

NOW TV I AGREE WITH YOU, TV WINS ELECTIONS
NEED TV. TONS OF TV.
If my local pizza shop can be on every other commercial break on a 4 hour block of the discovery channel, why the hell cant Ron Paul.
Why is TV not bought through local cable channels by Ron Paul state headquarters.
Advertising on cable this way would be much cheaper that trying to buy national coverage.
And we need TV to win. So we must do this. With good ads. Not hes catchin' on...
And Ron Paul needs to shoot a 30min infomercial.
And it must be aired a lot like that "set it and forget it" rotisserie machine.
The fact that I remember "set it and forget it" is exactly why Ron Paul needs an infomercial.

Oh, and Go Ron Paul billboards go!
Keep up the good work!

JoshLowry
01-20-2011, 09:33 PM
And if you are somehow stuck with only radio, who doesn't change the channel when a commercial comes on?

People that vote.

Agorism
01-21-2011, 04:36 PM
Saw this in hot topics

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1334.snc4/162656_486555814015_659354015_6196387_135025_n.jpg http://

txaslftist
01-21-2011, 04:51 PM

Beg to differ, sir. The billboards (1) generate name recognition (2) break the ice for an idea (3) lend the candidate legitimacy, and (4) inspire supporters to act.

Do they win an election by themselves? Surely not. But they definitely serve a purpose, and a valid and valuable one.

leipo
01-21-2011, 05:22 PM
Beg to differ, sir. The billboards (1) generate name recognition (2) break the ice for an idea (3) lend the candidate legitimacy, and (4) inspire supporters to act.

Do they win an election by themselves? Surely not. But they definitely serve a purpose, and a valid and valuable one.

I totally agree. They're also very cost-effective.

low preference guy
01-21-2011, 05:24 PM

what? the blimp was awesome. it generated millions of dollars in publicity. ron got lots of interviews thanks to the blimp.

Matt Collins
01-21-2011, 05:29 PM
Victory parties don't get votes either, and some would consider them wasteful of donated money that could be used for the re-election campaign... Logical fallacy for several reasons...

1- By the time one starts the victory party the election is already over, and there are no more votes to be gained

2- Reelection does not typically require as much force, money, effort, etc as election does because of the power of incumbency. Of course one doesn't want to dump one's remaining warchest on a victory party, but one doesn't also have to worry about gaining votes and thus acquiring funds for a while afterwards

There are other reasons too which are not as easy to explain

Matt Collins
01-21-2011, 05:36 PM
what? the blimp was awesome. it generated millions of dollars in publicity. ron got lots of interviews thanks to the blimp.
Yes, but again, if that money were instead poured into direct voter contact, dollar for dollar, it would've produced more voters.

Beg to differ, sir. The billboards (1) generate name recognition (2) break the ice for an idea (3) lend the candidate legitimacy, and (4) inspire supporters to act.You are correct, but again voter contact is the best place to spend money. Name recognition can be gained through direct marketing. Supporters can also be targeted and don't need billboards to be inspired. Your best point is on legitimacy of the candidate. TV and radio ads do this better than billboards, again due to targeting however.

Matt Collins
01-21-2011, 05:46 PM
Door to door...Nothing says creepy like you coming up to my door telling me to convert.And that reveals your mindset. When campaigning, we aren't looking for anyone to "convert", we are simply trying to get their vote.

Mail .. All political mail we receive goes directly into the trash.But I guarentee that you look at it first. And keep in mind though, that you (and your friends) are not the average voter.

I asked my friends and family, they say they may look at the pictures on the outside, then they go into the trash usually unread.And often times that's all that is needed.

So to me, I see mailers are a huge waste of money.That's because you don't know anything about marketing. :)

Phonebanking ... We have caller ID, As do most people I know.
We don't answer telemarketers/phonebank calls.
Receiving many messages on my answering machine from McCain last year made me want to vote for him even less...
So annoying messages to delete and annoying robocalls are total fail. You have a bit of a point here, although it's still not completely accurate.

Yes many more people don't have phone lines, or more carefully screen their calls. However, the average voter, people in rural areas, and people over the age of 55, often times do not.

Remember anecdotal evidence isn't really evidence at all.

And if you are somehow stuck with only radio, who doesn't change the channel when a commercial comes on? Millions of people, and as Josh pointed out, especially voters.

Again, you are not the average voter.

I like billboards. Billboards are huge. Lots of people see them. Good for you, fortunately you aren't in charge.

NOW TV I AGREE WITH YOU, TV WINS ELECTIONSNo it doesn't, direct marketing which is door-to-door, mailers, and phone calls, win elections. PR and mass media advertising supplements these and is indeed necessary, but it's not what wins elections.

If my local pizza shop can be on every other commercial break on a 4 hour block of the discovery channel, why the hell cant Ron Paul. Because it's an ineffective waste of money.

Why is TV not bought through local cable channels by Ron Paul state headquarters.
Advertising on cable this way would be much cheaper that trying to buy national coverage.
And we need TV to win. So we must do this. With good ads. Not hes catchin' on...
The fact that I remember "set it and forget it" is exactly why Ron Paul needs an infomercial.

Oh, and Go Ron Paul billboards go!
Keep up the good work!You really ought to consider reading some books on marketing.

Promontorium
01-21-2011, 07:35 PM
Why are you calling a privately rented/owned billboard a "waste of funds"?

There are no funds, there is no campaign!

I won't disagree that during the campaign, roadside endeavors might be less effective than targeted houses, but Ron isn't running (present tense). This can't hurt. What is the person/people responsible for the board supposed to do for the non-existent campaign?

What this is doing, is causing people to talk more about the main event. This is a teaser trailer to a movie that the director hasn't finished making.

-1 Collins to Collins lol.

sailingaway
01-21-2011, 07:43 PM
Saw this in hot topics

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1334.snc4/162656_486555814015_659354015_6196387_135025_n.jpg http://

Very cool!!!!!

Don't show it to Matt.

Austrian Econ Disciple
01-21-2011, 07:45 PM
Matt is quite vocal on this issue, where it is individual initiative, yet where money could actually be better spent he would like to see Judge Nap get paid even more than 25,000$ to do one speaking engagement which increases the costs of tickets to would be / potential supporters. I think Matt has his values mixed up to be honest.

low preference guy
01-21-2011, 07:46 PM
Yes, but again, if that money were instead poured into direct voter contact, dollar for dollar, it would've produced more voters.

you don't know that. maybe people watched the blimp on tv or live, then googled Ron Paul, liked him, and voted for him. plus he didn't win, so awareness is more valuable than votes.

Matt Collins
01-22-2011, 12:58 AM
you don't know that. maybe people watched the blimp on tv or live, then googled Ron Paul, liked him, and voted for him. Yes I do in fact know that, it's basic marketing 101 which is a science, not really an art (although there are indeed artistic elements to many sciences)

plus he didn't win, so awareness is more valuable than votes.This is truly newsspeak here.

low preference guy
01-22-2011, 01:06 AM
Yes I do in fact know that, it's basic marketing 101 which is a science

care to explain?

This is truly newsspeak here.

????

he didn't win. the supposed new votes you said he would've had wouldn't have made the difference in that election. so those votes would've have been less valuable than the exposure, which introduced paul to people who might vote for him in 2012.

Promontorium
01-22-2011, 01:26 AM
:collins: didn't reply to me. :(

I even half agreed with him. I thought I made a good point. Matt can call the shots after Ron Paul declares.

georgiaboy
01-22-2011, 01:39 AM
I'm thinking something like "Ideas over personalities"

I like "We know what needs to be done; Now let's just do it"

georgiaboy
01-22-2011, 01:54 AM
Other Billboard possibilities:
"Ron Paul, finally"
"Yes, Ron Paul's time has come"
"Ron Paul ftw"

Eric21ND
01-22-2011, 05:58 AM
I like "We know what needs to be done; Now let's just do it"
Too many words for the American voter.

Eric21ND
01-22-2011, 06:02 AM
you don't know that. maybe people watched the blimp on tv or live, then googled Ron Paul, liked him, and voted for him. plus he didn't win, so awareness is more valuable than votes.
Dude the blimp flew all over down south, including South Carolina. Guess were we had our worst turn out for Ron Paul...oh snap!

North Dakota actually gave Ron the most delegates of any state in 2008.

sailingaway
01-22-2011, 07:42 AM
Dude the blimp flew all over down south, including South Carolina. Guess were we had our worst turn out for Ron Paul...oh snap!

North Dakota actually gave Ron the most delegates of any state in 2008.

The blimp was NATIONALLY TELEVISED. It was an icon. It didn't come to southern California, but I assure you, we knew about it.

Dollar for dollar, it might not have been the most rational expenditure, now that we know it couldn't take off during weather in so many key times. However, it was very cool, and inspired people all over the country to look into him. It STILL inspires people to look into him. Ron's 'bad' states came first. STates where people 'appreciate' Ron but really want a moral majority type for President..

malkusm
01-22-2011, 08:15 AM
If I may interject....I think that one of the best projects from the 2008 campaign was the letter-writing campaign. I probably wrote about 200 handwritten letters to voters in South Carolina and Michigan (I got involved too late in the game to write for Iowa or New Hampshire). Imagine if we all spent the time to write, sign, seal and mail 200 letters? I think we ended up sending 100,000+ letters to registered Republicans in the early primary states. It's a great way to target voters without physically being in the state.

Matt Collins
01-22-2011, 11:55 AM
Dollar for dollar, it might not have been the most rational expenditure, now that we know it couldn't take off during weather in so many key times. However, it was very cool, and inspired people all over the country to look into him. It STILL inspires people to look into him. Ron's 'bad' states came first. STates where people 'appreciate' Ron but really want a moral majority type for President..Yes, and that's what it is good for, but it doesn't get votes :)

sailingaway
01-22-2011, 12:15 PM
If I may interject....I think that one of the best projects from the 2008 campaign was the letter-writing campaign. I probably wrote about 200 handwritten letters to voters in South Carolina and Michigan (I got involved too late in the game to write for Iowa or New Hampshire). Imagine if we all spent the time to write, sign, seal and mail 200 letters? I think we ended up sending 100,000+ letters to registered Republicans in the early primary states. It's a great way to target voters without physically being in the state.

What if we started now, so we only had to mail them later when time is scarce? Where do we get the lists?

Handwritten letters, I read.

sailingaway
01-22-2011, 12:17 PM
Yes, and that's what it is good for, but it doesn't get votes :)

You can't vote if you don't know who he is. You can as easily argue that someone who looked into him because of the blimp and later votes for him voted 'because' of the blimp as you can because someone knocked on their door or sent them junk mail. (I throw that stuff out before I even take the mail in.)

LONG TERM, the blimp may have ended up getting him more votes, if not immediately.

georgiaboy
01-22-2011, 12:22 PM
"Rand Paul's Dad 2012"

georgiaboy
01-22-2011, 12:26 PM
Too many words for the American voter.
agreed - trying to get the point across.
"Doing What Must Be Done"
"Doing What's Needed Now"
"Walking the Talk"

georgiaboy
01-22-2011, 12:37 PM
"I told you so"

ronpaulhawaii
01-22-2011, 01:05 PM
Logical fallacy for several reasons...

1- By the time one starts the victory party the election is already over, and there are no more votes to be gained

2- Reelection does not typically require as much force, money, effort, etc as election does because of the power of incumbency. Of course one doesn't want to dump one's remaining warchest on a victory party, but one doesn't also have to worry about gaining votes and thus acquiring funds for a while afterwards

There are other reasons too which are not as easy to explain

Uh Matt, which exact logical fallacy?

Regardless, it seems you are ignoring the primary point to attempt to steer the discussion... The Victory Party part was simply an illustrative device highlighting an inconsistency in your tactless contributions to this thread. Your entire thrust here seems to be that any expenditure not directly used for GOTV is wasteful. The Victory Party excuses you list above just don't gibe with your thrust here...

Regarding the VP issue, are you saying there is some arbitrary date where spending donors money on things that will not get votes is acceptable? And as a follow up, do you expect everyone to agree with you on when this date is?

I would say that everyone has individual lines in the sand on what is wasteful, or not. So in the same sense that you feel it is alright to piss on other peoples private expenditures for a campaign that does not even exist by collectively yelling at everyone using your individual line in the sand, I would think you should be alright with me proposing another line in the sand regarding donor money being spent on other things that do not get votes. The way I see it, as far as pure vote getting goes, billboards are quite possibly more effective than victory parties...

Anyway, all I'm really saying with the VP thing is that if you are going to be an ass and yell at friends, you should be consistent, and have your ducks in a row.

Matt Collins
01-22-2011, 01:28 PM
You can't vote if you don't know who he is. You can as easily argue that someone who looked into him because of the blimp and later votes for him voted 'because' of the blimp as you can because someone knocked on their door or sent them junk mail. (I throw that stuff out before I even take the mail in.)No, because targeted marketing (aimed at generating a response) is always more effective than shotgun marketing. This is a known fact. Please buy some marketing books, or study campaign tactics.

Matt Collins
01-23-2011, 11:48 PM
Why are you calling a privately rented/owned billboard a "waste of funds"?

There are no funds, there is no campaign!

I won't disagree that during the campaign, roadside endeavors might be less effective than targeted houses, but Ron isn't running (present tense). This can't hurt. What is the person/people responsible for the board supposed to do for the non-existent campaign?
Start a CFL county chapter in his area if there isn't one already, send mailers to likely Republican voters about the CFL, or Ron, or how local politicians have voted. Building an organization of activists on the ground so that when Ron does announce, everyone is already ready to go.

sailingaway
01-23-2011, 11:50 PM
No, because targeted marketing (aimed at generating a response) is always more effective than shotgun marketing. This is a known fact. Please buy some marketing books, or study campaign tactics.

Matt, you can make statistics say anything you want. Obviously, there are trends. But have you noticed how many times you said to people on here 'you are not the typical voter'?

Maybe RP voters need to be approached Atypically.....

And people are going to do what they want anyhow.

Matt Collins
01-23-2011, 11:52 PM
Matt is quite vocal on this issue, where it is individual initiative, yet where money could actually be better spent he would like to see Judge Nap get paid even more than 25,000$ to do one speaking engagement which increases the costs of tickets to would be / potential supporters. I think Matt has his values mixed up to be honest.Events like this have their place and a purpose, raising an organization is one of them as well as training the organization (just not during campaign time for big dollars).

To bring people out one often needs someone that will act as an attention getter. They are worth their money.

Matt Collins
01-23-2011, 11:53 PM
Maybe RP voters need to be approached Atypically.....

And people are going to do what they want anyhow.And how many states did that approach win?

Matt Collins
01-24-2011, 12:25 AM
Your entire thrust here seems to be that any expenditure not directly used for GOTV is wasteful. The Victory Party excuses you list above just don't gibe with your thrust here...If you can't understand the differences as I've explained in my previous posts, then I give up.

Regarding the VP issue, are you saying there is some arbitrary date where spending donors money on things that will not get votes is acceptable? And as a follow up, do you expect everyone to agree with you on when this date is? Yeah, pretty much the day or 2 before the election all major expenses are finalized.

The way I see it, as far as pure vote getting goes, billboards are quite possibly more effective than victory parties... The election is already over at that point, there are no more votes to be received for along time afterward. The VP has a purpose -primarily MEDIA and secondarily a reward to the volunteers and staff!

ronpaulhawaii
01-24-2011, 08:59 AM
If you can't understand the differences as I've explained in my previous posts, then I give up.

Oh, I think I understand what you are saying, yet I keep trying to speak to a different point. One involving morale and motivation and simple name recognition...

Yeah, pretty much the day or 2 before the election all major expenses are finalized.

I'll keep trying... And how long before the election are expenses that do not get votes acceptable? One year? two years? Three? When is the date your marketing expertise demands? And I'll repeat the follow-up, do you expect everyone to agree with you on when this date is?

The election is already over at that point, there are no more votes to be received for along time afterward. The VP has a purpose -primarily MEDIA and secondarily a reward to the volunteers and staff!

Unless the candidate is retiring, the "election" is never over. I'd think you would know that.

In the case of these billboards, it can be said that the campaign has not yet started, making your complaints here moot. And perhaps the private individual who spent an unknown sum thought this billboard might inspire many of those who supported RP in '08 to come back to the r3VOLution; building morale, to help convince RP to run for election... The fact remains that until RP announces, there is NO campaign for you to be yelling at people over.

Back to the VPs, you say they have two primary purposes. I don't see Media being a big reason and don't remember being told that at any of the Campaign Management classes I've taken... I would think that the Earned Media of a VP is inconsequential and down the list of reasons to spend donated money on something that doesn't get votes. I notice you list it first... I will add that earned media is just a form of advertising, with as wide a target audience as billboards...

At the end, you finally touch on something I find relevant. "As a reward for volunteers and staff". In other words, for morale and motivation. In saying this you agree that morale and motivation are important for political campaigns, what you seem to be missing is that many people are saying these type threads and events satisfy their personal need for morale and motivation. Yet you seem to think it is OK to rain on their parade in this case, while making lame excuses in the case of VPs. You are being inconsistent and unreasonable, and I find that disappointing.

Matt Collins
01-24-2011, 07:30 PM
I'll keep trying... And how long before the election are expenses that do not get votes acceptable? One year? two years? Three? When is the date your marketing expertise demands? And I'll repeat the follow-up, do you expect everyone to agree with you on when this date is?Sorry, my bad, I misread your post.

Well people should save their money so that they can max out to the official campaign. But prior to that, they should do things that build their organization locally. Billboards don't really do that.

And perhaps the private individual who spent an unknown sum thought this billboard might inspire many of those who supported RP in '08 to come back to the r3VOLution; building moraleAssuming the guy paid market price for the billboard, there are a lot more cost effective ways to do that, which is kind of my entire point.

I will add that earned media is just a form of advertising, with as wide a target audience as billboards... Well two things, 1 the election is over so acquiring votes isn't possible at that point in time, and secondly the PR generated by a VP event is MUCH more targeted than a billboard.

sailingaway
01-25-2011, 05:08 PM
Apparently they were paid for by Dr. Marc Carducci. The billboards, that is.

http://www.dailypaul.com/node/155191#comments

evilfunnystuff
01-25-2011, 05:56 PM
Collins you seemed to think this billboard for Rand IN FLORIDA was pretty cool
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?251152-FL-Tea-Party-Buys-Billboard-Space-For-Rand-Paul!&highlight=billboard

Also you claim you have won electionS by canvasing but you have only won 1 as far as I know, yet you claim you haven't canvased in your own area. So am i right to assume you have never won an election by canvassing.

PS someone very important who I cant' name told me... sometimes, you'd be better served keeping your mouth shut.

TomKat
01-25-2011, 07:15 PM

Pure genius. This needs to happen this time. I still can't get this out of my head 15 years later. "you could have a clambake at the beach" from the Red Devil outdoor cooker that apparently could clambake clams at the beach or cook cakes in the woods as well. Someone else here had to have heard that one.

Matt Collins
05-09-2011, 11:49 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0TCtu0bBtQ&feature=channel_video_title

SOURCE:

http://ronpaultrainer.blogspot.com/2011/04/introduction-to-campaigning-for-ron.html

Campaigning for Ron Paul 2012

So, do you want to be involved to some degree in the upcoming Ron Paul campaign?
If so, here are the basics that you need to learn and don't skip the 6 Essential Rules
of campaigning at the bottom of this note.

1. This campaign will not be won on facebook, gasp!
You will need to get involved with your local Republican party, another gasp!
After all, you will be campaigning first for the Republican nomination. Hence,
you will need to convince actual blue haired old ladies, who only watch Fox News,
that they should vote for the Champion of the Constitution. Yes, it can be done.

2. Find or start your local Meetup group for Ron Paul.
Go explore here: http://www.meetup.com/
(Careful, there might be several groups--some defunct.)

Events

I won't bore you too much in this note, but there are 3 major events you need to plan for.
They involve traveling to Iowa and maybe even New Hampshire. While you probably won't
be able to vote for Dr. Paul at these events. The friends you will meet and the lessons you
will learn about campaigning will change your life. If you plan now, you can ask off work
and adjust your schedule. Don't worry about food and lodging--there will be so many
projects for funding all of that.

Make plans now to attend the Iowa Straw Poll this coming August 13th.

August 13, 2011 - Ames, IA
Ames Straw Poll
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ames_Straw_Poll

Later your help will be put into practice during the Iowa Caucus in January? of 2012 or
in New Hampshire. If you are serious about this, just plan now to spend Christmas in
Iowa or New Hampshire.

Okay, here's the important part. The key to being a good campaigner for a political
candidate involves cultivating a basic understanding of marketing and sales. By the way,
it is possible to keep your moral integrity through this process--but it is a tricky, no doubt.
You should never lie and misrepresent the truth--but this doesn't mean you bury your head
in the sand and not learn how TO SELL.

Canvassing is the process by which you interact with an individual, qualify that they are
a likely voter and persuade them to support the candidate you are representing.
The overarching principle to learn is to never show your cards before they show
you their cards. You need to know how to best approach each individual you speak with.

Here are 6 rules to guide you when selling your candidate:

Don't make your issue their issue.
Don't get into debates.
Don't go down rabbit holes.
Don't be afraid to say, "I don't know."
Don't trash-talk other candidates.
When you make a sale, stop selling.

I could write a couple paragraphs on each of these points, but I'll leave it at this for now...
And, wow, number 4 is profound! I'm considering adding a final step of "asking for a
commitment." If you've sold someone on your idea or candidate, you need to involve them
in an action that they can take to fulfill their verbal commitment.
This list was inspired by a video about campaigning for Ron Paul found here:

http://youtu.be/Ib1EEFzRqW4

That's all for tonight.

Aaron
Contact him here: patriotpodium@gmail.com