PDA

View Full Version : Making 401k participation mandatory

Anti Federalist
01-14-2011, 09:11 PM
Why not?

If they can force you to buy insurance to do nothing more than live, why can't they force you to "invest".

Time to make the 401k mandatory?

http://money.msn.com/mutual-fund/time-to-make-the-401k-mandatory-kiplinger.aspx

It's time to make the 401k mandatory, with every employer offering a plan and both employer and employee required to contribute.

When the 401k was created in 1978, it was never intended to be the main pillar of most workers' retirement security, a burden that then fell to traditional pension plans and Social Security. But that's what 401k's, as well as 403b's and similar plans, have become.

cindy25
01-14-2011, 09:55 PM
I believe this is done in Hong Kong, and called a central provident fund. better than social security, since individual funds not co mingled.

maybe to replace Social security it would be a lesser of two evils

rprprs
01-14-2011, 10:11 PM
...When the 401k was created in 1978, it was never intended to be the main pillar of most workers' retirement security...
As most here are all too aware, very little ends up being what was originally intended.

QueenB4Liberty
01-14-2011, 10:26 PM
a 401k is better than Social Security. I'm wondering if they make this mandatory can we opt out of Social Security? Probably not, but it just sucks paying for both at the same time. At least someday hopefully I'll get my 401k back.

kah13176
01-14-2011, 10:50 PM
No. Regardless of the program, any mandatory investment or "fund" violates everyone's right to private property. Let people do with the fruits of their labor however they please.

xd9fan
01-14-2011, 10:51 PM
Governor Tarkin: Princess Leia, before your execution, you will join me at a ceremony that will make this battle station operational. No star system will dare oppose the Emperor now.

Princess Leia: The more you tighten your grip, Tarkin, the more star systems will slip through your fingers.

dean.engelhardt
01-14-2011, 11:01 PM
No. Regardless of the program, any mandatory investment or "fund" violates everyone's right to private property. Let people do with the fruits of their labor however they please.

+ Rep

MN Patriot
01-14-2011, 11:05 PM
The tax code is social engineering, designed to make people follow certain courses of action. With 401ks and IRAs, workers are compelled to direct some of their money to the stock market rather than paying it in taxes. Investment may be a good thing for the economy and the investor, but in crony capitalism it is especially good for the top executives who own the government.

satchelmcqueen
01-14-2011, 11:48 PM
mandatory...hell no!