PDA

View Full Version : Donald Trump Forbes: Donald Trump For President 2012?

Brian4Liberty
01-14-2011, 03:24 PM
No doubt we will be hearing more about this. He may become the anointed GOP front runner...

Polls have come out and have been very strong. A recent poll came out where Trump and [Bill] Gates are the only two that beat [President Barack] Obama. Gates isn’t running obviously, but they put names on it, and we’re the only ones who beat Obama.
So the first thing I’d do is have a heart-to-heart talk with OPEC — and it would not be a nice conversation.

The second thing I’d do is have a nice heart-to-heart talk with China. I would tax Chinese products in a nanosecond. And they will come to the table in less than a nanosecond.
http://blogs.forbes.com/kerenblankfeld/2011/01/05/donald-trump-for-president-2012-a-conversation-with-the-donald/

Pericles
01-14-2011, 03:48 PM
Just the thought makes my brain hurt.

sailingaway
01-14-2011, 03:52 PM
No, Steve. Just.... no.

Romulus
01-14-2011, 04:45 PM
Novelty.. people wont take him seriously..

Revolution_Ready
01-14-2011, 05:26 PM
What is wrong with Trump? He is a real estate tycoon. Sorta like somebody Ayn Rand would write about.

Brian4Liberty
01-15-2011, 03:08 PM
What is wrong with Trump? He is a real estate tycoon. Sorta like somebody Ayn Rand would write about.

Many people will agree and support Trump.

What's wrong with him? He seems to think he can run USA Corp more efficiently than others, but he has not mentioned any concerns about size, scope or the rule of law (and the US Constitution). Would Trump be an Empire builder? Our "benevolent" Caesar?

Aratus
01-15-2011, 03:12 PM
mitt romney and sarah palin would have to take him seriously!

low preference guy
01-15-2011, 03:14 PM

support for gun control is the first thing that comes to mind.

Churchill2004
01-15-2011, 03:17 PM
support for gun control is the first thing that comes to mind.

Also, a big chunk of his "real estate empire" is built on corrupt eminent domain seizures. I hardly think Ayn would approve.

He's not going to run, he's just tossing this out there to get an attention boost since his TV show has flatlined. He did the same thing in 2000, when he publicly "flirted" with seeking the Reform Party nomination.

Aratus
01-16-2011, 10:46 AM
i think this is more than a ratings gambit. i think he looks at sarah palin and mitt romney as
he thinks of taking half their potential voters away apiece in some of his better fantasies...

tnvoter
01-16-2011, 12:51 PM
surely he would at least be fiscally responsible, if and when..

Sentient Void
01-16-2011, 05:11 PM
Donald Trump would be a horrible president. The man is a corporatist shill and has built much of his wealth not on voluntary exchange but instead from collusion with governments (as someone mentioned, much of it on eminent domain seizures). He has also blatantly called for protectionism (to protect himself and his friends, probably as a special interest in this) and restricted trade with the world and China - which is immensely economically ignorant, apart from immoral.

Sure, some people with business sense might be a little better in making government 'more efficient' than your typical lawyer or government bureaucrat, but understand that the problem isn't so much with *people*, it's with the system. Government *can't* offer a good service, or be very efficient - by it's very nature - because it has no legitimate profit/loss system - it has no feedback mechanism to know what is working and what doesn't. It doesn't have to improve it's services or custoemr service to get people to support it, it just mandates itself higher revenues (businesses can't do this).

The only person who would be good in government is anyone who would work to eliminate much of the government bureaucracy, regulation, taxation, and authority (across the board) - while letting people keep their own resources to let the private sector fill in the gap. Donald Trump would not do this. He has no mind for true freedom or the free market - he would be searching for power and ways to further solidify and guarantee his own wealth and reputation and that of his friends.

The only type of person good for government is someone who ideologically and principally support liberty and freedom and has a track record to prove it as such. Ron Pauls of the world are a *VERY* rare find.

Kregisen
01-16-2011, 05:19 PM
Trump has come out for universal healthcare for one. He also called for more money being spent on national defense. (yes, MORE)

There were many other things wrong with him as well. He has lots of horrible stances, but at the same time the media will love him and he could be the next John McCain (doubtful though with the whole tea party movement)

Brian4Liberty
03-17-2011, 07:01 PM
Bump for previous critique of Trump...

sailingaway
03-17-2011, 07:02 PM
There are specific groups, including some writers for the daily caller who seem to think he is something other than a joke.