PDA

View Full Version : CA - Police Shoot, Kill Half-Naked Man in Playa Vista

Anti Federalist
01-14-2011, 01:44 PM
Hard to see what kind of dangerous weapon you could be concealing when naked.

Police Shoot, Kill Half-Naked Man in Playa Vista

http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-playa-vista-naked-ois,0,4520035.story

PLAYA VISTA, Calif. ( KTLA) -- Police have shot and killed a man who was seen running naked outside an upscale beach condominium in Playa Vista.

The shooting was reported just after 3 a.m. Friday in the 5600 block of Crescent Way West after LAPD officers responded to a disturbing the peace call.

The man, who apparently took a taxi to the location, began stripping off his clothing and running around naked.

A witness said she heard screaming and commotion outside her window as police chased after the naked suspect. At some point, the suspect put on boxers.

"I heard them try to detain him and he would not comply; and there was a fight, a physical fight," she said.

sailingaway
01-14-2011, 01:47 PM
That's by the beach, just north of Venice where probably anyone could run naked and no one would notice. (Slight exageration, only.)

Death seems a bit of a harsh penalty for streaking, doesn't it?

Bruno
01-14-2011, 01:49 PM
That's by the beach, just north of Venice where probably anyone could run naked and no one would notice. (Slight exageration, only.)

Death seems a bit of a harsh penalty for streaking, doesn't it?

When police get to be judge, jury, and executioner with no repercussions for misjudgement, they really don't care what we think.

TonySutton
01-14-2011, 02:08 PM
They had his pants (ID) so why the need to kill him. They could have sent a ticket to his home address.

Bruno
01-14-2011, 02:31 PM
They had his pants (ID) so why the need to kill him. They could have sent a ticket to his home address.

But then they couldn't have shot anyone.

youngbuck
01-14-2011, 02:35 PM
So if I see somebody streaking, disturbing the peace, and in general being disorderly, I guess I can go shoot them. Good to know...

RideTheDirt
01-14-2011, 02:35 PM
When police get to be judge, jury, and executioner with no repercussions for misjudgement, they really don't care what we think.
This shit really needs to stop.:mad:

qh4dotcom
01-14-2011, 02:46 PM
Another reason why folks with concealed weapons should not rush to a crime scene like the one in Tucson "to help".

Cops might shoot you, especially since they are responding to an event where people got shot, when they arrive they don't know who the gunman is and if they see you with a weapon...well you can figure out the rest.

sailingaway
01-14-2011, 02:50 PM
Another reason why folks with concealed weapons should not rush to a crime scene like the one in Tucson "to help".

Cops might shoot you, especially since they are responding to an event where people got shot, when they arrive they don't know who the gunman is and if they see you with a weapon...well you can figure out the rest.

In this case the dude didn't even have pants, much less a weapon....

oyarde
01-14-2011, 03:29 PM
What were these cops thinking ?? Where is the threat ?

AFPVet
01-14-2011, 03:37 PM
Most of them are doped up on steroids. Now in the AF police, we were drug tested randomly... I wonder why civilian departments don't....

fisharmor
01-14-2011, 03:42 PM

Ok, professor, explain to me why an armed citizen would make an attempt to stop a streaker with a drawn weapon.
(Answer: they won't, because that's fucking insane.)

Even in cases of violent crime, police are minutes away from getting there.
When they do get there, they don't charge into a situation where people are shooting to try to stop it - they wait for the shooter to run out of rounds or off himself.

That's the reason why Cho got so big a body count at Virginia Tech.
The cops care so little for your well being that as you are being murdered, they will wait patiently until the murderer is done so they don't have to endanger themselves in the slightest.

If you're making a case for getting rid of the constabulary altogether: great, I'm also for it.
If not, I'm not sure what your point is, exactly.

Pericles
01-14-2011, 03:45 PM
Most of them are doped up on steroids. Now in the AF police, we were drug tested randomly... I wonder why civilian departments don't....

Can't get quality officers now - raising the standards only makes the "problem" worse. If these guys weren't above the law, nobody would be doing the job.

Philhelm
01-14-2011, 03:49 PM
Even in cases of violent crime, police are minutes away from getting there.
When they do get there, they don't charge into a situation where people are shooting to try to stop it - they wait for the shooter to run out of rounds or off himself.

That's the reason why Cho got so big a body count at Virginia Tech.
The cops care so little for your well being that as you are being murdered, they will wait patiently until the murderer is done so they don't have to endanger themselves in the slightest.

Exactly. As for myself, I'll never forget the Columbine incident, in which the police waited outside while children were being murdered. That stuck in my head, and has remained with me. That, in conjunction with the Waco incident, has colored my perception of the police. They're fucking cowards unless they have the upper hand.

fisharmor
01-14-2011, 03:57 PM
Can't get quality officers now - raising the standards only makes the "problem" worse. If these guys weren't above the law, nobody would be doing the job.

Good.
Let's raise the requirements to be seven feet tall, 1800 SAT score, 20/15 vision, and complete memorization of Cicero's letters (in Latin), and then pay them $22,000 a year.
That will solve the problem permanently.

oyarde
01-14-2011, 04:08 PM
Good.
Let's raise the requirements to be seven feet tall, 1800 SAT score, 20/15 vision, and complete memorization of Cicero's letters (in Latin), and then pay them $22,000 a year.

I like that .

squarepusher
01-14-2011, 04:11 PM
stripping naked is a sign of PCP use, and it sounds like he was being violent with the officers.

oyarde
01-14-2011, 04:13 PM
stripping naked is a sign of PCP use, and it sounds like he was being violent with the officers.

How was he going to hurt them ?

Anti Federalist
01-14-2011, 04:21 PM

Possibly.

Wouldn't that be a perfect application for a taser though?

To me, it's yet another example of fallout from switching from a vertically integrated force continuum to a circular one.

youngbuck
01-14-2011, 04:25 PM
They're fucking cowards unless they have the upper hand.

Like your typical thug in a street gang?

Pericles
01-14-2011, 04:33 PM
Like your typical thug in a street gang?
Yes, or a NKVD or Allgemeine SS camp guard.

Anti Federalist
01-14-2011, 04:42 PM
Yes, or a NKVD or Allgemeine SS camp guard.

I had read somewhere of Big Sister Janet Napalitano being referred to as "PutzFrau turned Gauleiter".

Your reference to the Allgemeine SS made me think of that.

Totally off topic and unrelated.

Carry on.

squarepusher
01-14-2011, 04:47 PM
I had read somewhere of Big Sister Janet Napalitano being referred to as "PutzFrau turned Gauleiter".

Your reference to the Allgemeine SS made me think of that.

Totally off topic and unrelated.

Carry on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-ECMTNcewI&feature=player_embedded

nobody's_hero
01-14-2011, 04:52 PM

I don't know. Seems these days you'll probably get shot by the cops whether you're armed or not.

amy31416
01-14-2011, 04:53 PM
Possibly.

Wouldn't that be a perfect application for a taser though?

To me, it's yet another example of fallout from switching from a vertically integrated force continuum to a circular one.

Taser, baton, fist, pepper spray, whatever--the dude was obviously unarmed. (I'll refrain from the obvious penis joke.)

oyarde
01-14-2011, 05:07 PM
Taser, baton, fist, pepper spray, whatever--the dude was obviously unarmed. (I'll refrain from the obvious penis joke.)

Exactly , he could have been subdued , cuffed .

osan
01-14-2011, 06:56 PM
This shit really needs to stop.:mad:

Do not hold your breath on this.

coastie
01-14-2011, 08:00 PM

The only thing this shows is that arguing with irrational emotions does nothing but lead to the fear(emotion)-based statements of above that end up making you look stupid in public.:rolleyes:

Your obviously oblivious to the fact that each year, in this country it is estimated that guns are used over 2.5-4 million times to prevent crimes. That's 6849 times a day using the 2.5 mil figure. So I'm sure it's safe to say that this happens at least several times a day-with no shots fired. This hysteria your spouting in this unrelated thread(and others) is total bullshit, because the very "scary" scenes you are portraying would be happening everyday, and the media would be eating it up and you'd hear about it everyday. How does this fact escape you???

Start a thread with your own ridiculous thoughts on CCW's, sheesh.:rolleyes:

surf
01-14-2011, 08:23 PM
it's us vs them. in Seattle they've been holding a hearing on the cop that shot the whittler, and it sounds pretty bad. we'll see what all the forums (that so far have no weight) recommend .

but i think it is really a problem at its base of "us" vs "them" from the cops' perspective. having a bunch of vets (the guy that gunned down the whittler was fresh from the military) doesn't help at all in this regard. i'm not sure how to recondition these guys so that they understand that us non-cops aren't there to hurt them. that we pay them doesn't seem to matter.

oyarde
01-14-2011, 08:27 PM
it's us vs them. in Seattle they've been holding a hearing on the cop that shot the whittler, and it sounds pretty bad. we'll see what all the forums (that so far have no weight) recommend .

but i think it is really a problem at its base of "us" vs "them" from the cops' perspective. having a bunch of vets (the guy that gunned down the whittler was fresh from the military) doesn't help at all in this regard. i'm not sure how to recondition these guys so that they understand that us non-cops aren't there to hurt them. that we pay them doesn't seem to matter.

He was a cop prior and returned from an active tour in Afghanistan ?

Promontorium
01-14-2011, 08:39 PM

I know why you are angry. I am angry too. But you don't need to post this in every thread.

Promontorium
01-14-2011, 08:49 PM

Good.

Gentlemen, I've proposed the solution before, and I'll propose until it is enacted:

We need to hire violent thugs from prison to be our police. Everyone apparently loves corrupt thug police. They think clubbing innocent people over the head, and shooting dogs is the American way. Let's have it then. Find the meanest most corrupt violent sons of bitches in prison, and offer them parole with the condition that they work as police. Sure they'll be running games on the side, sure they'll go a little rogue every once in awhile, but it will all be in the name of justice. If they are caught doing these things, certainly they'll get sent back to prison, this will motivate them to stop being so openly corrupt, and keep it quiet, the way America likes it. And here's the kicker, we pay them absolutely nothing! This will save the budgets of cities and states, cutting costs of prison while also cutting costs of police. The cops will make their money when they pull you over for speeding, you pay them everything in your wallet, and they don't beat you senseless. That's a win-win, in my book. And for the most part they will only be ruffing up criminals (we'll keep cameras and anklets on them) so there will actually be a decrease in "innocent" people being harmed, and a justifiable spike in minor crimes and infractions resulting in "death".