PDA

View Full Version : Houston Chronicle Poll: Should Ron Paul run for the Texas Senate seat in 2012?

Anti Federalist
01-14-2011, 12:04 PM
Reader poll: Ron Paul for U.S. Senate?

hXXp://blogs.chron.com/txpotomac/2011/01/reader_poll_ron_paul_for_us_se.html

RON PAUL FOR SENATE?

Should Texas Rep. Ron Paul run for the U.S. Senate in 2012?

(Poll closes: Jan 17 at 11:59 p.m.)

Yes, I'd vote for him.35%

Yes, because he'd create chaos in the Republican primary.4%

No, he's more valuable in a safe House seat.14%

No, I don't want him holding any office.18%

No. He should run for President instead.30%

Nate-ForLiberty
01-14-2011, 12:09 PM
Already worried about his 2012 run for president. cool

Andrew-Austin
01-14-2011, 12:10 PM
Where did this meme come from, I don't think Ron has said anything about the Senate?

Anti Federalist
01-14-2011, 12:13 PM
Where did this meme come from, I don't think Ron has said anything about the Senate?

I have no idea, Nate may have it right, the establishment is trying anything to keep RP away from another presidential run.

sailingaway
01-14-2011, 12:17 PM
Man, and lose his committee chairmanship?

It completely rubs me wrong to see Ron 'lose' any poll on any matter, but I think I'll wait to see what Ron himself wants to do on this one....

Keith and stuff
01-14-2011, 12:20 PM
At least he would have a shot of winning so it wouldn't be an education campaign.

Anti Federalist
01-14-2011, 12:22 PM
Here is a better link, hXXp://blogs.chron.com/txpotomac/2011/01/reader_poll_ron_paul_for_us_se.html

At least he would have a shot of winning so it wouldn't be an education campaign.

I've been told a million times to break links like that, so it cannot be traced back to the site and then have people accuse us of gumming up the poll results.

sailingaway
01-14-2011, 12:32 PM
Gary Johnson supporters seem very keen on pushing Ron for Senate. Banks probably do, as well.

Andrew-Austin
01-14-2011, 12:41 PM
I have no idea, Nate may have it right, the establishment is trying anything to keep RP away from another presidential run.

Maybe, that is what I'm inclined to think. But they did give the option to vote "he should run for Prez", this publication did anyways.

Maybe it was brought up because his son ran for the Senate and won, and that he would actually have a chance of winning. "Paul" is kind of a name out in the open now, it could be like how publications "give advice" and pose hypotheticals to big names like Sarah Palin.

Just wondering out loud.

Gary Johnson supporters seem very keen on pushing Ron for Senate. Banks probably do, as well.

"Banks" probably think Paul can't win anyways, banks don't want him to run for anything.

sailingaway
01-14-2011, 12:43 PM
"Banks" probably think Paul can't win anyways, banks don't want him to run for anything.

I meant to get him out of his committee chairship in the House.

He'd lose the House seat if he ran for Senate (not if he runs for President.)

I voted in the poll for him to run for President. Obviously, I would support him for Senate, if that were what he chose.

Keith and stuff
01-14-2011, 12:45 PM
I've been told a million times to break links like that, so it cannot be traced back to the site and then have people accuse us of gumming up the poll results.

Then why did you repost the correct link? lol

Wren
01-14-2011, 12:45 PM

I've noticed this as well. As well as claiming that he 'can't win'. It's getting disgusting to read around here

Anti Federalist
01-14-2011, 01:00 PM
Then why did you repost the correct link? lol

Oh, derpa derpa derp on my part.

Fixed...

Elwar
01-14-2011, 01:02 PM

It's just news about the current Senator declaring that she won't run again.

Elwar
01-14-2011, 01:04 PM

One person does not make up "Gary Johnson supporters".

low preference guy
01-14-2011, 01:04 PM

i think it does... he has like... one or two supporters.

*kidding!*

sailingaway
01-14-2011, 01:14 PM

There were two or three.

I didn't mean you. I know you support him, but are a Ron Paul supporter. There is a difference. Resentment of Ron, as in thinking he is going for something that 'belongs' to Gary, is a primary identifier.

Sola_Fide
01-14-2011, 01:21 PM

Agree.

Elwar
01-14-2011, 01:23 PM
2 Paul's in the Senate wouldn't be that much more affective than 1 Paul...so there's no point.

It's actually better to have one in the House and one in the Senate so they can both put forth proposals.

Stary Hickory
01-14-2011, 01:31 PM
Before he got his House chair I would have said yes....now I kinda have mixed feelings on it.

Churchill2004
01-14-2011, 01:34 PM
There were two or three.

I didn't mean you. I know you support him, but are a Ron Paul supporter. There is a difference. Resentment of Ron, as in thinking he is going for something that 'belongs' to Gary, is a primary identifier.

I'm a Gary Johnson supporter, and while I hold no resentment towards Ron or have any idea that anything "belongs" to Gary Johnson (in fact I've said if both run I'll still support Ron), I am willing to turn a critical eye equally on Ron Paul as Gary Johnson.

All that said, I think Ron Paul running for Senate is an absolutely stupid idea, and I see a lot more Ron Paul people encouraging Johnson to run for Senate than I do the other way around. (I think Johnson running for Senate is a great idea, by the way, he'd have a much better shot at winning it, wouldn't have to give up a current office like Ron, and would set him up much better to run for President in the future) I also don't think there's anything to it but natural speculation as Hutchinson just announced her retirement- among the state's House members, he's the most well-known nationally, and it's typical to look to a state's house delegation when speculating as to Senate candidates. Paul has also run for Senate before- that's why he got out of the House in 1984, but he lost the primary to Phil Gramm. It was this that lead to his angrily forsaking the GOP, a bitter fight within the LP for its '88 nomination with which he accomplished very little, the disastrous "paleolibertarian" newsletter days, and after that his general withdrawal from politics for a few years. So, in short, Ron Paul probably has a lot of regrets from the last time he chose to abandon his House seat to run for Senate.