PDA

View Full Version : Food Stamps

OrganDonor
01-14-2011, 09:13 AM
Just a "what if" question:

+/- of having different cultures in our country?...

I just wanted to see different opinions from all of you folks about food stamps. Say tomorrow the whole food stamp process had ended. What will happen next in the USA when people are hungry? If you think about it, we have some violent people, and being in a country where we have citizens of different cultures and ethnic groups, I believe as a country we would FAIL in getting together and helping the issue...

Just want to see some personal opinions on whats NEXT after government cannot feed its people. Would people get together and fight to solve the issue? or would the country turn into a battle field?

My question is indirectly leading to another question I want answered.

Acala
01-14-2011, 09:25 AM
Just a "what if" question:

I just wanted to see different opinions from all of you folks about food stamps. Say tomorrow the whole food stamp process had ended. What will happen next in the USA when people are hungry? If you think about it, we have some violent people, and being in a country where we have citizens of different cultures and ethnic groups, I believe as a country we would FAIL in getting together and helping the issue...

Just want to see some personal opinions on whats NEXT after government cannot feed its people. Would people get together and fight to solve the issue? or would the country turn into a battle field?

My question is indirectly leading to another question I want answered.

People ALREADY feed each other through charity.

Government giveaways are primarily about pouring money into the hands of the special interest groups while giving the appearance of meeting some social need.

Let's take food stamps, for example. Guess who gets paid to administer the food stamp program? Banks. That's right. First they profit by loaning vast amounts of money into existence and using it to make highly risky bets. Then when the bets go bad, they get government to cover their losses, pull back on the loans, foreclose on the collateral and let it sit idle while using it to offset taxes on former profits, cause an economic collapse thought deflation, and then get paid to adminster the food stamp program for all the people they ruined. Additionally, food stamps are a subsidy for corporate agriculture and food production. The local farmer's market doesn't take food stamps. Hahahahahaha! So that is how government "feed[s] its people."

If the burden becomes so great and charity proves inadequate, will some turn to violence? Perhaps. Will others dedicate themselves to finding ways to help people help themselves? Of course. It is already happening. Nobody can say how if will work out on balance.

Elwar
01-14-2011, 11:15 AM
Why do we need food stamps? This guy was able to eat on $1 a day while also having food left over to donate to a local food bank and ending up with $4 left over at the end of the month.

http://www.grocerycouponguide.com/articles/eating-well-on-1-a-day/

Tonewah
01-14-2011, 11:43 AM
If we keep spending, it will eventually create a inflation situation where even the person who works 40+ hours a week is unable to feed himself. Some people on government assistance are eating better than people who work 40+ hours, already. If you're unable to feed your own family, it'll be hard to contribute to any charity. If you aren't making enough to feed yourself AND pay taxes, something will have to give.

That's what you need to be worried about.

dannno
01-14-2011, 11:47 AM
Why do we need food stamps? This guy was able to eat on $1 a day while also having food left over to donate to a local food bank and ending up with $4 left over at the end of the month.

http://www.grocerycouponguide.com/articles/eating-well-on-1-a-day/

To be fair, that was some mad trickery on the coupons..

Stary Hickory
01-14-2011, 12:32 PM
Well if you had no food stamps people would work for starters. There is a lot of fraud with food stamps and all government handouts. I mean if you really believe the government is more benevolent and charitable than the people in the country themselves you have some faulty logic.

No one is going to let people flat out starve who are honestly in need. It was NEVER the case before food stamps when food was much harder to come by...why should it be any different now?

Elwar
01-14-2011, 12:35 PM

Every country has people that are different from each other.

Show me a country where every individual is the same.

OrganDonor
01-14-2011, 02:15 PM
No one is going to let people flat out starve who are honestly in need. It was NEVER the case before food stamps when food was much harder to come by...why should it be any different now? Times have changed? Peoples thought process is completely different than it was before. I dont see anything bright about our generation.

Every country has people that are different from each other.

Show me a country where every individual is the same.Countries with history have cultures, no matter who comes in the country, the culture stays(not talking about the future of Europe-talking about the present). We lack on a specific culture. Our culture is the mix of all cultures, which is whats great about USA but also has its downsides. Just looking for different opinions - like yours. Thanks

Elwar
01-14-2011, 02:20 PM
Times have changed? Peoples thought process is completely different than it was before. I dont see anything bright about our generation.

Countries with history have cultures, no matter who comes in the country, the culture stays(not talking about the future of Europe-talking about the present). We lack on a specific culture. Our culture is the mix of all cultures, which is whats great about USA but also has its downsides. Just looking for different opinions - like yours. Thanks

All countries are made up of individuals with their own thoughts and ideals.

oyarde
01-14-2011, 02:23 PM
Just my opinion.... take all the money spent to house , administer and put out food stamps etc , return it to taxpayers and the private food banks would be full for those in need .

MelissaWV
01-14-2011, 07:35 PM
Gosh, how odd that someone would talk about the plus and minus sides of having different cultures, and then launch into a discussion about food stamps. I wonder what the follow-up question is going to be? :(

oyarde
01-14-2011, 07:38 PM
Gosh, how odd that someone would talk about the plus and minus sides of having different cultures, and then launch into a discussion about food stamps. I wonder what the follow-up question is going to be? :(

Hmmmm ..

TCE
01-14-2011, 07:59 PM
I'm sure all of us have seen some wealthy people pay for food with food stamps. It, just like every other government program, is highly vulnerable to abuses. Not only that, we as taxpayers are forced to fund this program or else we're jailed by the IRS. Helping out by donating to local food banks is something completely different and would not involve nearly as much abuse. Here in Chicago, we have The Greater Chicago Food Depository (http://www.chicagosfoodbank.org/), which I support. Many of us actually donate to charities we like, and in a free market, there would be many more of these private charities.

There is the constant imagery of the "heartless libertarian" who hates the poor, but that is a complete misnomer. To your question, without food stamps, our culture would change. People would look to charities more, and without the government aid, people would step up and realize there are starving people out there.

However, on the list of evils, the Federal Reserve, foreign policy, FDA, etc, food stamps are way, way down on that list.