PDA

View Full Version : PATRIOT Act Likely to be Extended Another Year Without Controversy

Kludge
01-13-2011, 11:53 PM
"When the Patriot Act first passed, there were (quite reasonable) concerns from many folks in the civil liberties world, who were worried about aspects of the bill that seemed to go well beyond reason, in a hysterical knee-jerk reaction to the terrorist attacks of 2001. In order to mollify those concerned, Congress put in some "sunset" provisions, which would have certain aspects of the Patriot Act expire at a particular time. Last year, parts of the Patriot Act were set to expire, and many people hoped that it would open up some opportunities to better protect basic civil liberties. However, with it being an election year and no one wanting to look "soft" on terrorism, Congress had little discussion about the matter and simply decided to re-up the entire Patriot Act, saying they'd really (no, really) review the provisions this year. Amusingly, in a typical Congressional obfuscatory move, the extension of the Patriot Act was buried in the "Medicare Physician Payment Reform Act." Yeah.

So here we are in 2011, and where's the debate and the promised effort to sunset the worst aspects of the Patriot Act? After all, in the past year, there's been even more evidence that the feds have massively abused their ability to get information on people without proper oversight. And while it hasn't been reported on at all in the press, Julian Sanchez's eagle eyes spotted the fact that Rep. Mike Rogers has introduced yet another one-year punt extension, which basically just takes the text of last year's extension and moves everything out by one more year. It's looking like this will easily get approved with little debate.

So, it's now appearing that those "sunsets" in the Patriot Act -- which should actually go into effect, given the tremendous evidence of abuse by the feds -- were a mere fiction, that Congress will just paper over each and every year."

Article by always-informative Mike Masnick of Techdirt.com
Original article (with references & comments) can be viewed @ http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20110112/18002112643/congress-once-again-looks-to-extend-patriot-act-with-little-no-debate.shtml

Vessol
01-13-2011, 11:55 PM
And the "civil libertarians" on the left couldn't give a flying fuck.

Kludge
01-13-2011, 11:57 PM
http://lastfreevoice.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/bob-barr-announces.jpg
durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

ClayTrainor
01-14-2011, 12:04 AM
And the "civil libertarians" on the left couldn't give a flying fuck.

Don't worry, they'll pretend to care again when a republican is in the white house.

Live_Free_Or_Die
01-14-2011, 12:44 AM
So, it's now appearing that those "sunsets" in the Patriot Act -- which should actually go into effect, given the tremendous evidence of abuse by the feds -- were a mere fiction, that Congress will just paper over each and every year."

Sunset means so long as the sun continues fall below the horizon. I take it you did not get the memo there would be a few changes in the 2011 Webster Congressional Edition.

Zap!
01-14-2011, 01:00 AM
Anyone know how Rand Paul and Mike Lee will vote on this?

jct74
01-14-2011, 01:13 AM
Anyone know how Rand Paul and Mike Lee will vote on this?

Rand has said many times on the campaign trail that he is opposed to the Patriot Act. He will be the first Republican senator to ever vote against it, and hopefully his leading by example will embolden some other Republicans to step forward into unchartered territory. Probably wishful thinking but we'll see. I don't know where Lee stands but he is pretty tight with Rand so maybe Rand can win him over if necessary.

Zap!
01-14-2011, 01:21 AM
Rand has said many times on the campaign trail that he is opposed to the Patriot Act. He will be the first Republican senator to ever vote against it, and hopefully his leading by example will embolden some other Republicans to step forward into unchartered territory. Probably wishful thinking but we'll see. I don't know where Lee stands but he is pretty tight with Rand so maybe Rand can win him over if necessary.

Joe Miller would have voted against it too, why did Alaska voters have to be so dumb? :(

sailingaway
01-14-2011, 07:35 AM
I hope the filibuster stays in place and I hope Rand filibusters this. Put those 'left civil liberties Senators' to shame, Rand!!

Brett85
01-14-2011, 08:28 AM

There were actually 4 Republican Senators who originally voted against extending it in 2005, and then they made some changes to it and got their votes.

puppetmaster
01-14-2011, 10:35 AM
they will keep extending it until another event that is caused by it, makes it permanent.

TheDriver
01-14-2011, 10:39 AM
I'm painfully reading George W. Bush's book. The only thing Bush says he regrets about the PATRIOT Act was naming it that. He says he should have named it the anti-terrorism act *rolls eyes*.

sailingaway
01-14-2011, 10:40 AM
I'm painfully reading George W. Bush's book. The only thing Bush says he regrets about the PATRIOT Act was naming it that. He says he should have named it the anti-terrorism act *rolls eyes*.

Yes, that would have made it all better....

pcosmar
01-14-2011, 10:49 AM
Did anyone really expect anything different?
I mean really. Are people here that friggin' ignorant, or is it wishful thinking.

:confused:

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/pollyanna.jpg

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Pollyanna
It is not going away. It will be expanded.

:mad:

Brett85
01-14-2011, 11:20 AM

I certainly think that he should regret more than that, but it was indeed wrong to name it "The Patriot Act." It implies that anybody who opposes it is unpatriotic.

Noob
01-14-2011, 11:43 AM
To extend expiring provisions of the USA PATRIOT Improvement and Reauthorization Act of 2005 and Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h112-67

Stary Hickory
01-14-2011, 12:40 PM
Need a POTUS who will take on this stuff.....someone who will say no to the "security racket"

Stary Hickory
01-14-2011, 12:42 PM

He should have named it the G.W. Bush police state bill.....and the asswiping of the bill of rights. Bush is even dumber out of office than when he was in office...not an easy feat at all.