PDA

View Full Version : Texas Monthly suggests Ron Paul as a contender for Hutchison's Senate Seat - 'formidable'

sailingaway
01-13-2011, 04:57 PM
http://www.texasmonthly.com/blogs/burkablog/

Now the spotlight turns on her possible successors. The frontrunner is David Dewhurst, the light guv, who can finance his own race. The current crop of candidates, who include Roger Williams, Michael Williams, and Elizabeth Ames Jones, is not a very impressive group. (Williams is probably out of the race, since he is seeking to become the single commissioner of the revamped Railroad Commission, if the legislation calling for a single commissioner is passed.) Several members of the state’s Republican congressional delegation could be interested, but it is a big jump from a district election to a statewide election. The member best positioned to make the jump is Ron Paul, who might have the itch to join his son, Rand, in the Senate. The elder Paul would be formidable, as he would have the backing of the Tea Party crowd. If Paul stays in the House to bedevil the Federal Reserve, Debra Medina might get the Tea Party mantle. Lamar Smith, of San Antonio, is going to be chairman of the Judiciary committee, so he will probably stay put. Time has passed Joe Barton by. Pete Sessions, of Dallas, is another possibility. So is Jeb Hensarling. The Morning News has chronicled Dallas mayor Tom Leppert’s interest in running for the Senate.

TXcarlosTX
01-13-2011, 05:00 PM
nice

puppetmaster
01-13-2011, 05:03 PM
He will also make a formidable Presidential candidate....:)

doodle
01-13-2011, 05:11 PM
Won't that be a record, first time in the history of the world a father and a son will be in senate at the same time?

In any case, that would be huge. Ron can win.

Kotin
01-13-2011, 05:13 PM
he'll be running for president..

doodle
01-13-2011, 05:21 PM
Can't he do both? He can run for President as a Senator too.

erowe1
01-13-2011, 05:29 PM
Can't he do both? He can run for President as a Senator too.

I'm pretty sure he can. But I don't think he should.

If he did decide to go all in for either of those races and leave his House seat open, then Medina could run to fill that. She's in his district (though might not be after redistricting). She could also potentially be eligible for one of the new seats Texas will get from the 2010 census.

hazek
01-13-2011, 05:29 PM
I hope he stays a congressman, especially now with the chairman position.

erowe1
01-13-2011, 05:32 PM
I hope he stays a congressman, especially now with the chairman position.

There's definitely something to be said for that. But if he did go to the Senate, his years in the House would count towards his seniority in the Senate too. So I think he'd be about the 8th most senior Republican there (which is what Hutchinson is now), and could possibly get a good committee or subcommittee position there too.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seniority_in_the_United_States_Senate

Edit: It looks like RP would have more seniority than Mike Crapo, who is currently the ranking Republican in the Senate's equivalent of the House subcommittee RP chairs.
http://banking.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?Fuseaction=CommitteeInformation.Subcommi ttee&Subcommittee_ID=d7d38747-f226-46f4-8aaa-c06fae94bf41

RCA
01-13-2011, 05:49 PM
Two Pauls in the Senate. I'm down with that.

Churchill2004
01-13-2011, 06:32 PM
There's definitely something to be said for that. But if he did go to the Senate, his years in the House would count towards his seniority in the Senate too. So I think he'd be about the 8th most senior Republican there (which is what Hutchinson is now), and could possibly get a good committee or subcommittee position there too.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seniority_in_the_United_States_Senate

Edit: It looks like RP would have more seniority than Mike Crapo, who is currently the ranking Republican in the Senate's equivalent of the House subcommittee RP chairs.
http://banking.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?Fuseaction=CommitteeInformation.Subcommi ttee&Subcommittee_ID=d7d38747-f226-46f4-8aaa-c06fae94bf41

This is incorrect. Time served in the House is only one of the factors that can be used to break a tie in seniority. The only thing that counts directly for Senate seniority is consecutive time in the Senate. If there's a tie on that, they move to non-consecutive Senate time, and if there's still a tie they move to the next qualifications, etc. Time served in the House is pretty far down the list.

Time served in the House does not count the same as time served in the Senate for purposes of Senate seniority. Ron Paul might be towards the top of any new class of Senate freshmen, both because of his time in the House and the size of Texas's population (another tie-breaker factor considered), but he would not be anywhere near the top of the list, nor have any hope of getting there in his lifetime.

sailingaway
01-13-2011, 06:42 PM
This is incorrect. Time served in the House is only one of the factors that can be used to break a tie in seniority. The only thing that counts directly for Senate seniority is consecutive time in the Senate. If there's a tie on that, they move to non-consecutive Senate time, and if there's still a tie they move to the next qualifications, etc. Time served in the House is pretty far down the list.

Time served in the House does not count the same as time served in the Senate for purposes of Senate seniority. Ron Paul might be towards the top of any new class of Senate freshmen, both because of his time in the House and the size of Texas's population (another tie-breaker factor considered), but he would not be anywhere near the top of the list, nor have any hope of getting there in his lifetime.

Oh.

House and President, then....

and Robert or Medina for Senator....

QueenB4Liberty
01-13-2011, 06:48 PM
I really hope that he runs for President. I don't really care about the Senate. I would rather him keep his House seat or run for POTUS.

low preference guy
01-13-2011, 06:49 PM
Why do you guys want Medina to run so much? Isn't a tea partier going to win anyway? Isn't Michael Williams pretty good?

sailingaway
01-13-2011, 06:50 PM
Why do you guys want Medina to run so much? Isn't a tea partier going to win anyway? Isn't Michael Williams pretty good?

I don't know anything about Williams. I know our folks there liked Medina, and she was impressive in a debate I saw. Personally, I'd be glad to have Robert, but since I'm not familiar with him, I can't get all charged up yet.

cindy25
01-13-2011, 07:02 PM
if Rand was not there I would say yes, just to have that block.

but with Rand there no need.

Kevin_Kennedy
01-13-2011, 07:24 PM
Leave it to Medina who will hopefully run.

doodle
01-13-2011, 07:33 PM
Senate is a neocon top-heavy body, Ron being there rubbing elbows with likes of McCain and Graham would make a huge impact on US policy.

doodle
01-13-2011, 07:41 PM
if Rand was not there I would say yes, just to have that block.

but with Rand there no need.

They can car pool together.

Have a father and son been in a Senate body in the history of the world before going back to Rome?

trey4sports
01-13-2011, 07:48 PM
Ron Paul for President, fuck the senate

MikeStanart
01-13-2011, 07:55 PM
I'll definitly campaign for Medina for a Senate Race.

Koz
01-13-2011, 07:56 PM

+1

MikeStanart
01-13-2011, 07:57 PM

+1776

cindy25
01-13-2011, 08:06 PM
Senate is a neocon top-heavy body, Ron being there rubbing elbows with likes of McCain and Graham would make a huge impact on US policy.

one senator we could trust was badly needed, as they can place holds on bad legislation. Rand can do that. it seems they want Ron out of the house they would be willing to give him the senate seat, but he could never build seniority

doodle
01-13-2011, 08:07 PM
Ron Paul for President, ef the House?

If he wins Senate and then runs for President as a Senator, things would get just a lot more interesting.

TheTyke
01-13-2011, 08:20 PM
It's hard to weigh a Senate seat vs. being in the House with all that seniority and that chairmanship overseeing the Fed. He has also mentioned he likes being in the House because revenue raising measures have to begin there - and it will also theoretically make for a good tag team with Rand. Probably the only step up for him would be the presidency.

Medina for Senator, Rob Paul & Glenn Bradley for Representative (or wherever a good opportunity arises.)

erowe1
01-13-2011, 08:25 PM
//

TCE
01-13-2011, 09:17 PM

He'd be a DeMint clone and Medina would be preferred. I would personally like some polls commissioned showing Medina having some sort of chance against the field, and if she does, go for it. I'm thinking against what looks to be a good looking field, she won't garner much support, sadly. She should definitely keep roaming her immediate areas for a Congressional seat opening, though.

Bergie Bergeron
01-13-2011, 09:29 PM
Anyone willing to start a Draft Robert Paul website?

ScotTX
01-13-2011, 10:12 PM
Debra Medina all the way! She'd be Rand's closest ally in the senate.

Agorism
01-13-2011, 10:41 PM
If Ron were Rand's age, then maybe the senate.

But we need the presidency at this point.

trey4sports
01-13-2011, 10:50 PM
Wayne Paul for Senate!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCF_7kspI7Y

TheTyke
01-14-2011, 12:31 AM
No one in KY knew who Rand Paul was a few years ago... With a brilliant staff, ability to play the game, and enough money, Medina can definitely win an open senate seat. Money is vitally important, and I'm convinced that Rand raised more than most of our liberty candidates because of his name and credentials. They can't win without that kind of support, so if we want another senator, that's what we'll need to do!

Churchill2004
01-14-2011, 12:47 AM
lol@ Wayne Paul. I'd never heard of him before, didn't know Ron had a brother still around and active in the movement.

Judging from the video of his rant, I think I understand why his brother was elected to Congress and not him! Seems like a nice guy, but not exactly statesman material.

Imperial
01-14-2011, 05:45 AM
I had been waiting to post this until the article was complete, but I did just write on this very possibility. I also wrote about Medina's chances in such a race too. I handicap a lot more than just those two, but I think they are the ones of interest.

http://www.redracinghorses.com/diary/8/texas-preparing-for-open-seat-brawl

Debra Medina- The insurgent gubernatorial candidate whose campaign imploded on Glenn Beck's radio program from a controversial comment on 9/11 truth, Medina was last seen endorsing Straus for Speaker and lobbying for abolition of the state property tax. Her Facebook page mentions Hutchison's retirement and describes her as currently running for "undeclared". However, when asked if she would run for Senate, Medina stated, "I don't see that." However, she is still interested in running for office at some point.

Either way, Medina would be the ultimate anti-establishment candidate. Her gubernatorial campaign managed to pull 17% of the primary vote with a tiny fraction of the money both Kay Bailey Hutchison and Rick Perry put forward. With her name still fresh in the minds of voters, she could be a wildcard in the race.

Ron Paul- The iconoclastic libertarian standard-bearer has not said anything about Hutchison's retirement. However, there had been a 10% chance he would run back when the potential for a special election loomed during the gubernatorial race. Paul is a prolific fundraiser, able to raise millions from his national network of supporters. In addition, he has significant name recognition from his presidential run. Paul's anti-establishment credentials and (often contested) claim to have started the Tea Party could play well in a GOP primary. At the same time, his libertarian positions could run contrary to some of the base, especially on defense, gay marriage, and the drug war.

Paul may also elect for a different path. He could easily win re-election again in the House and retain his new post overseeing the Federal Reserve. In addition, due to a curious quirk in Texas election law Paul can simultaneously run for President and House (but not Senate and House). This may be more tempting- a dual bully pulpit with a subcommittee chairmanship and a presidential campaign.

sailingaway
01-14-2011, 07:33 AM
I had been waiting to post this until the article was complete, but I did just write on this very possibility. I also wrote about Medina's chances in such a race too. I handicap a lot more than just those two, but I think they are the ones of interest.

http://www.redracinghorses.com/diary/8/texas-preparing-for-open-seat-brawl

Ron thinks gay marriage is a state issue, why is that contrary to the base?

honestly, I think much of the base agrees often with Ron on defense, too, they are just told they don't because his position is distorted.

Slutter McGee
01-14-2011, 08:37 AM

I am cautiously planning on supporting Williams. Honestly though, he is so focused on fiscal responsibility, we don't know where he stands on civil liberties and interventionism. I do want to find out more before I actively support his canidacy. But he would be a hell of a lot better than Hutchinson.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

Imperial
01-14-2011, 06:29 PM
Ron thinks gay marriage is a state issue, why is that contrary to the base?

honestly, I think much of the base agrees often with Ron on defense, too, they are just told they don't because his position is distorted.

I would agree that you could frame those issues in a way that is palatable to most voters, but it is still going to be an easy talking point for social conservatives to say "Ron supports gay marriage" and then point to his vote to repeal DADT. Similarly neocons can point to his opposition to an Iran strike to say he is 'weak on defense'.

I agree with his positions, but that doesn't mean it will make a primary any easier.

Anti Federalist
01-14-2011, 06:34 PM

+1776

sailingaway
01-14-2011, 06:35 PM
I would agree that you could frame those issues in a way that is palatable to most voters, but it is still going to be an easy talking point for social conservatives to say "Ron supports gay marriage" and then point to his vote to repeal DADT. Similarly neocons can point to his opposition to an Iran strike to say he is 'weak on defense'.

I agree with his positions, but that doesn't mean it will make a primary any easier.

People can always lie, but they can do that about anyone.

erowe1
01-14-2011, 06:36 PM

I do think his vote to repeal DADT will hurt him. But how could anybody say he's for gay marriage? I've never seen anything from him that comes close to that. He has said that he would have voted for the Defense of Marriage Act if he were in Congress then, and his We the People Act would positively prohibit federal courts from legalizing gay marriage. Even despite his DADT vote, his social conservative credentials are stronger than either of the top two candidates in the 2008 GOP primaries, McCain and Romney.

Also, is keeping up the war on drugs really an important issue to the conservative GOP base? I've never noticed that.