PDA

View Full Version : Hutchison not running for Senate - should Ron?

sailingaway
01-13-2011, 03:37 PM
I know we want him for President, but back when she first said she might not run and it would have been a special election, Ron was someone the media was talking about as a potential successor. At THAT TIME he said there was a 10% chance of him running, and he'd think about it.

I don't know if he could both run for Senate and the House, I don't know if a CHANCE at Senate is worth giving up his committee seat for (the Presidency doesn't have that risk because the LBJ law lets you run for both house and president.) But I toss it out there.

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/01/13/kay-bailey-hutchison-wont-seek-re-election-her-career-highligh/?icid=main%7Chp-desktop%7Cdl1%7Csec3_lnk1%7C195168

Brett85
01-13-2011, 03:40 PM
I tossed this out before and got flamed for it. I think the consensus will be that he should run for President. Another option as mentioned in another thread is one of Ron's other sons.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?275552-Senator-Medina/page3

sailingaway
01-13-2011, 03:43 PM
I tossed this out before and got flamed for it. I think the consensus will be that he should run for President. Another option as mentioned in another thread is one of Ron's other sons.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?275552-Senator-Medina/page3

Sorry, I didn't see yours. I'll support him whatever he runs for, but he runs for President to educate, whatever WE might want to happen. I could see him WINNING as Senator, more easily. But he'd lose his committee.

I don't know his other son; but I'm open to it. I KNEW Rand, or had seen a number of his speeches, from the 2008 campaign, on youtube.

Flash
01-13-2011, 04:02 PM
He should run for President. The campaign will educate millions of people on the ideas of Libertarianism. And he'll influence future politicians who will run for important offices like state representative and state senator. If he became the next Senator from Texas, he would more than likely only be in office for a single term. What's the point of that?

libertyjam
01-13-2011, 04:03 PM
It looks like Mayor Tom Leppert is going to run for Bail-out Baily's vacant seat. If so that will be where the Repug's will focus support. Also I'm sure TPTB would love to see Ron run for the Senate seat as well as they likely think (try their best to ensure) it would end in defeat and they would be rid of him.

I would not think it to be a good risk. However someone good needs to run for that seat cause I won't vote Dem for it and I won't vote for Perry-lite that is Leppert.

Son of Detroit
01-13-2011, 04:06 PM
He would be much more effective in his role grilling Bernanke. Of course that's if he doesn't run for president.

johnrocks
01-13-2011, 04:13 PM
Big risk, he can run for President and retain his seat in the House, if he runs for the Senate and loses, he's out of Congress period.

sailingaway
01-13-2011, 04:34 PM
Big risk, he can run for President and retain his seat in the House, if he runs for the Senate and loses, he's out of Congress period.

Well, that was one of my questions. In a special election he wouldn't have had that problem, but now it isn't shaping up to be a special election.

Agorism
01-13-2011, 04:43 PM
Texas is big market though, and will probably take 4-5X as much cash to win that compared to Kentucky.

Just saying it's not a gimmie seat.

low preference guy
01-13-2011, 04:50 PM
Ron should run for Senate, President, and the House at the same time.

Dissident
01-13-2011, 04:55 PM
Why would Ron run for a Senate seat? I understand it holds more weight. But at this point, Ron has a greater degree of name recognition and more frequent media spots than most Senators.

CountryboyRonPaul
01-13-2011, 04:59 PM
Chairman of the Subcommittee for Domestic Monetary Policy and Technology > Freshman Senator

It would be a mistake for the biggest opponent of the Fed to give this up.

sailingaway
01-13-2011, 05:00 PM
Why would Ron run for a Senate seat? I understand it holds more weight. But at this point, Ron has a greater degree of name recognition and more frequent media spots than most Senators.

Depends on what happens with the fillibuster rules.......

muzzled dogg
01-13-2011, 05:02 PM
rob paul ftw

doodle
01-13-2011, 05:24 PM
That would be a great race and very likely a victory. I hope Ron runs.

RedLightning
01-13-2011, 05:27 PM
Kinda hoping Medina makes a run for it.

JohnEngland
01-13-2011, 05:28 PM
Hmm, whilst I agree that Ron would be FAR more likely to win the Senate than presidency, I would prefer him to run for the latter.

Some are also suggesting that he'd lose his powerful committee position and that would be a great loss. Plus, running for president will wake up many more people as it's a national (and international, I might add :p) affair.

Plus, let's be honest, Ron isn't exactly the youngest person in the world. If he were to be in the Senate, he'd have lost his committee influence, lost the chance to educate the masses and all for maybe only one term in the Senate.

I say not worth it. Rand is our voice in the Senate.

erowe1
01-13-2011, 05:37 PM
Chairman of the Subcommittee for Domestic Monetary Policy and Technology > Freshman Senator

It would be a mistake for the biggest opponent of the Fed to give this up.

Years in the House count toward seniority in the Senate as well.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seniority_in_the_United_States_Senate

If Ron did make the leap, he would have more seniority than Mike Crapo, who is currently the ranking Republican in the subcommittee on financial institutions in the Senate Banking Committee.
http://banking.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?Fuseaction=CommitteeInformation.Subcommi ttee&Subcommittee_ID=d7d38747-f226-46f4-8aaa-c06fae94bf41

sailingaway
01-13-2011, 05:49 PM

If Ron did make the leap, he would have more seniority than Mike Crapo, who is currently the ranking Republican in the subcommittee on financial institutions in the Senate Banking Committee.
http://banking.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?Fuseaction=CommitteeInformation.Subcommi ttee&Subcommittee_ID=d7d38747-f226-46f4-8aaa-c06fae94bf41

Ooooooohh!!

Ron's decision, of course. My only reason for tossing this out is I had seen him say he'd consider it when it was a special election, and I didn't want people getting behind a different candidate if he was going to go for it. This information you just gave shows why he might... but he'd have to know he was going on that committee...

doodle
01-13-2011, 05:51 PM

Good info.

Has anyone contacted Ron on this if he is interested? I think he will get huge support and would increase sphere of his message whatever he does as a senator. Best of all, he can always car pool with Rand.

sailingaway
01-13-2011, 05:54 PM
Good info.

Has anyone contacted Ron on this if he is interested? I think he will get huge support and would increase sphere of his message whatever he does as a senator. Best of all, he can always car pool with Rand.

When it was going to be a special election he was interested. Don't know if he would be if he'd have to give up his house seat. Wonder if the party would change that rule...

erowe1
01-13-2011, 06:00 PM
Ooooooohh!!

Ron's decision, of course. My only reason for tossing this out is I had seen him say he'd consider it when it was a special election, and I didn't want people getting behind a different candidate if he was going to go for it. This information you just gave shows why he might... but he'd have to know he was going on that committee...

Yeah, and seniority or not, for him to chair that subcommittee in the Senate, the Republicans would need to retake the Senate (which I suppose is more likely than not), and they would have to agree to let him do that without pulling any shenanigans, which is probably a pretty big if.

doodle
01-13-2011, 06:03 PM
When it was going to be a special election he was interested. Don't know if he would be if he'd have to give up his house seat. Wonder if the party would change that rule...

Ron uses his House seat very effectively to get the message out, I hope he doesn't have to give it up to run for Senate. But if were throwing the dice, I would run for Senate. This may generate more attention to his message and momentum than Presidential race. Money bombs would be phenomenol, Ron can win that seat.

erowe1
01-13-2011, 06:06 PM
Ron uses his House seat very effectively to get the message out, I hope he doesn't have to give it up to run for Senate. But if were throwing the dice, I would run for Senate. This may generate more attention to his message and momentum than Presidential race.

I don't think it would be anywhere near as much attention as a presidential run.

But the advantage of running for Senate is that he could win. I'm not saying that getting elected to the Senate would be a bigger boon to the movement than another losing presidential run would. But it's worth thinking about.

And then if he did, we could still support GJ for pres. (I know some wouldn't, but I definitely would), and Medina could run for and win RP's House seat.

Bergie Bergeron
01-13-2011, 06:35 PM
Robert Paul should have his shot.