PDA

View Full Version : Man arrested after threats to Rep. Jim McDermott: 'I'll kill his family'

amy31416
01-12-2011, 09:23 PM
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politics/2011/0112/Man-arrested-after-threats-to-Rep.-Jim-McDermott-I-ll-kill-his-family

FBI agents arrest a California man who called Rep. Jim McDermott's Seattle office in December and left two threatening messages linked to the Democrat's stand on extending the Bush tax cuts.

By Warren Richey, Staff writer / January 12, 2011

A Palm Springs, Calif., man was arrested on Wednesday on a federal charge that he threatened to kill Rep. James McDermott (D) of Washington because of the congressman’s stance in last month’s debate over whether to extend the Bush tax cuts.

Skip to next paragraph
Related Stories

Vitriol in political rhetoric: Did it play a part in the Arizona shooting?
Arizona shooting: How safe are members of Congress?
As portrait of Jared Loughner sharpens, 'vitriol' blame fades
FBI agents arrested Charles Turner Habermann for making two late-night cell phone calls to the congressman’s Seattle office Dec. 9. According to an FBI affidavit, Mr. Habermann has a history of contacting elected officials and received a warning from California law enforcement officials in March 2010.

“Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, or George Washington, Alexander Hamilton, if any of them had ever met Jim McDermott, they would all blow his brains out. They’d shoot him in the head,” Mr. Habermann, 32, allegedly said in a recorded voice mail message on Mr. McDermott’s office telephone.

Arizona shooting suspect Jared Loughner: 5 of his strange ideas

Habermann was arrested four days after a 22-year-old community college dropout shot Arizona Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords in the head and then kept shooting, killing six people and wounding 13 others in Tucson.

The shooting Saturday unleashed a heated national debate over whether political rhetoric can trigger violence by unstable individuals. It also prompted an examination of how best to protect elected officials.

“You let that [deleted] [deleted] [deleted] know, that if he ever [deleted] around with my money, ever the [deleted] again, I’ll [deleted] kill him, okay,” Habermann said, according to a sworn FBI affidavit on file in federal court.

'I'll kill his family'

“I’ll round them up,” he added. “I’ll kill them. I’ll kill his friends, I’ll kill his family, I will kill everybody he [deleted] knows.”

Ten minutes later, Habermann called back and left another message. Just as in the first call, he began by offering his real name and his telephone number. Then he left a second, similar, message.

Habermann took issue with McDermott’s characterization of the issues in the tax debate. He said Democratic members of Congress were “stealing” money from “the wealthy” and giving it away to “losers.” He said McDermott would never get away with it.

“I’ll [deleted] hunt that guy down and I’ll [deleted] get rid of him,” Habermann said, according to the affidavit. “Do you understand that? I’ll get the [deleted] rid of him. I’ll pay people, I’ll pay my friends, I, I grew up in Chicago just like your [deleted] [deleted] [deleted] Jim McDermott did.”

(cont'd at link)

oyarde
01-12-2011, 09:28 PM
Oh crap! The peacenik Dems are back up to their shenanigans!

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politics/2011/0112/Man-arrested-after-threats-to-Rep.-Jim-McDermott-I-ll-kill-his-family

(cont'd at link)

There is something fudamentally wrong with someone who would threaten a persons family over not raising taxes . Obviously if you are upset that taxes are not to be raised you need evaluated ;). One of you guys needs to post that office where they can send money into for the national debt . This should pacify dems .

Brett85
01-12-2011, 09:32 PM
'I'll kill his family'

“I’ll round them up,” he added. “I’ll kill them. I’ll kill his friends, I’ll kill his family, I will kill everybody he [deleted] knows.”

Free speech doesn't extend to death threats. They were right to arrest this man.

amy31416
01-12-2011, 09:35 PM
'I'll kill his family'

Free speech doesn't extend to death threats. They were right to arrest this man.

Hope you weren't expecting an argument!

oyarde
01-12-2011, 09:37 PM
'I'll kill his family'

Well , he is insane and illogical to be that upset because someone is going to steal LESS from him . Typical dem I guess , I do not know many .

t0rnado
01-12-2011, 09:38 PM
“Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, or George Washington, Alexander Hamilton, if any of them had ever met Jim McDermott, they would all blow his brains out. They’d shoot him in the head,” Mr. Habermann, 32, allegedly said in a recorded voice mail message on Mr. McDermott’s office telephone.

Actually, Hamilton would probably agree with McDermott. Someone needs to write up a little guide on current free speech laws and how far you can go with threats. If he had said that a politician should be killed, he wouldn't have been arrested.

amy31416
01-12-2011, 09:39 PM
Well , he is insane and illogical to be that upset because someone is going to steal LESS from him . Typical dem I guess , I do not know many .

Upon re-reading, I don't know if he's a Dem, probably not? He's a trust-fund fellow with 3 million stashed away who's all kinds of upset that they want to take it from him and give it to "losers."

Brett85
01-12-2011, 09:43 PM
Hope you weren't expecting an argument!

Lol. I never know here.

1000-points-of-fright
01-12-2011, 09:45 PM
There is something fudamentally wrong with someone who would threaten a persons family over not raising taxes.

I think you misread something. This guy didn't want taxes raised. He wanted the Bush tax cuts extended. This is more ammo for the left and their "crazy right-wingers" talking points.

t0rnado
'I'll kill his family'

If I threaten to kill a trespasser/thief on my property, do you believe that I should be arrested?

oyarde
Upon re-reading, I don't know if he's a Dem, probably not? He's a trust-fund fellow with 3 million stashed away who's all kinds of upset that they want to take it from him and give it to "losers."

If he was pissed because they were Not GOING TO EXTEND THE TAX CUTS , it would make some sense ..... Surely he knows you cannot be leaving messages like that ??

oyarde
01-12-2011, 09:47 PM
I think you misread something. This guy didn't want taxes raised. He wanted the Bush tax cuts extended. This is more ammo for the left and their "crazy right-wingers" talking points.

That appears to make more sense . The other way around was too mind boggling ...

Brett85
01-12-2011, 09:50 PM
If I threaten to kill a trespasser/thief on my property, do you believe that I should be arrested?

No. You have the right to defend yourself if somebody comes on your property and tries to steal from you.

t0rnado
01-12-2011, 09:57 PM
No. You have the right to defend yourself if somebody comes on your property and tries to steal from you.

What about an IRS agent?

Philhelm
01-12-2011, 09:59 PM
What about an IRS agent?

Are we talking about natural rights, or government privileges?

Brett85
01-12-2011, 10:03 PM
What about an IRS agent?

I support abolishing the IRS, but the IRS is legal and constitutional because of the 16th amendment. It's better to argue in favor of abolishing the 16th amendment.

t0rnado
01-12-2011, 10:09 PM
Are we talking about natural rights, or government privileges?

Natural rights.

I support abolishing the IRS, but the IRS is legal and constitutional because of the 16th amendment. It's better to argue in favor of abolishing the 16th amendment.

You're ignoring the question though. You stated, "You have the right to defend yourself if somebody comes on your property and tries to steal from you." Does that include IRS agents?

Brett85
01-12-2011, 10:13 PM
Natural rights.

You're ignoring the question though. You stated, "You have the right to defend yourself if somebody comes on your property and tries to steal from you." Does that include IRS agents?

No. That would be against the law.

Philhelm
01-12-2011, 10:14 PM
What about an IRS agent?

From a natural right perspective, I'd say yes. However, it must be noted that not all methods of self defense depend upon violence.

Philhelm
01-12-2011, 10:18 PM

In a more extreme example, some laws limit one's ability to defend one's life. Such laws go against the most fundamental rights of all living organisms. If a law were to violate such a fundamental right, should it be obeyed?

(And no, I'm not suggesting that IRS agents should be gunned down; I'm just suggesting that legal/illegal are irrelevant considerations.)

t0rnado
01-12-2011, 10:24 PM

So would freeing a slave in the 19th century or hiding a Jew 70 years ago in Germany. You don't seem to understand that legality doesn't equal morality.

Brett85
01-12-2011, 10:26 PM
In a more extreme example, some laws limit one's ability to defend one's life. Such laws go against the most fundamental rights of all living organisms. If a law were to violate such a fundamental right, should it be obeyed?

(And no, I'm not suggesting that IRS agents should be gunned down; I'm just suggesting that legal/illegal are irrelevant considerations.)

I think that it's better to repeal bad laws rather than disobeying the laws.