PDA

View Full Version : What a cheesy memorial ceremony

JustinTime
01-12-2011, 07:36 PM
Is anybody watching this crap? I watched about fifteen minutes of it and cant take it anymore. All the cheering and hoots and whistles, its like a Whitesnake concert circa 1987. I half expect someone at the end to yell "We love you Tuscon, goodnight!" and make the heavy metal sign.

See, not many people care about the tragedy, most of handwringing and crocodile tears have been about scoring political points. Sad, this is what America is now.

Anti Federalist
01-12-2011, 07:38 PM
What?

No chants of Ewe Ess Ay - Ewe Ess Ay - Ewe Ess Ay???

*sigh*

Anti Federalist
01-12-2011, 07:39 PM
Here, this will perk things up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q65KZIqay4E

Rothbardian Girl
01-12-2011, 07:41 PM
Just another symptom of the reality-show-loving, obsessed-with-histrionics-and-sound-bites culture that many average Americans have fallen victim to, or gobbled up eagerly. There's really nothing unexpected here for me. It goes hand in hand with the chest-thumping, über-"patriotic" mindset that has really taken hold of the country lately.

oyarde
01-12-2011, 07:43 PM
I will not watch any . I think it in poor taste .

awake
01-12-2011, 07:45 PM
There is something very off about this... applause at a memorial? Almost state of the union...

Vessol
01-12-2011, 07:47 PM
What a fucking insult to the victims of the tragedy. They have become the tools for politicians to raise their poll numbers and for news media to rake in more money.

awake
01-12-2011, 07:48 PM
I am sorry, this is seriously sick...

oyarde
01-12-2011, 07:49 PM
What a fucking insult to the victims of the tragedy. They have become the tools for politicians to raise their poll numbers and for news media to rake in more money.

Yes.

Anti Federalist
01-12-2011, 07:50 PM
I was going to make a "mundanes" remark, but I think I'll just keep my mouth shut.

Bruno
01-12-2011, 07:50 PM
I am sorry, this is seriously sick...

I posted this the other day

this morning on NPR they were talking about the shooting. I parapharse, except for the last sentence:

"Historically, such a national tragedy presidents have been able to unite the country because of it. Reagan did it after the Challenger exploded. But with country so divided, it is unclear if Obama can pull it off..."

My wife and I couldn't believe the wording they used, consider we had just talked about this subject last night after watching that video in the OP.

Bruno
01-12-2011, 08:01 PM
This is most certainly not a memorial service.

awake
01-12-2011, 08:15 PM
Vitriol - take a drink.

Lovecraftian4Paul
01-12-2011, 08:18 PM
Why is this rolling along without condemnation? The Dems were rightly attacked when they turned Sen. Wellstone's funeral into a political stunt. They are doing the same thing here.

Matt Collins
01-12-2011, 08:19 PM
No, I am not watching. I don't watch TV

Philhelm
01-12-2011, 08:22 PM
No, I am not watching. I don't watch TV

Uh oh! Jared Loughlin didn't like to watch television either...

Bruno
01-12-2011, 08:23 PM

+ rep

angelatc
01-12-2011, 08:25 PM

Paul Wellstone's funeral. On steroids. ETA: (Lovecraft beat me to it!)

What kind of a political moron holds a pep rally at a memorial service for a 9 year old girl?

bruce leeroy
01-12-2011, 08:25 PM
I hope hoebama will STFU before its time for Law&Order:SVU to come on

oyarde
01-12-2011, 08:26 PM

I noticed that as well . I do not really watch network tv except sports . Mostly I dvr movies & news . Am I ok ??

oyarde
01-12-2011, 08:27 PM
Paul Wellstone's funeral. On steroids. ETA: (Lovecraft beat me to it!)

What kind of a political moron holds a pep rally at a memorial service for a 9 year old girl?

Poor taste .

Brian4Liberty
01-12-2011, 08:29 PM
Is anybody watching this crap? I watched about fifteen minutes of it and cant take it anymore. All the cheering and hoots and whistles...

My thoughts exactly. That has to be the most inappropriate "memorial" I have ever seen. It was like a sporting event with the cheers. And they are cheering for Janet Napolitano and Eric Holder? Seriously sick. It seemed truly twisted to have them reading Bible verses.

Vessol
01-12-2011, 08:34 PM
I collected some comments on Twitter during and after the memorial.

"Very good speech by the President. Steered the atmosphere from a raucous pep rally back toward an actual memorial service."
"Say what you want about #Obama but he is one heck of a speaker. He turned a pep rally into a memorial. "
"Wow. Great fucking speech. You can't hate on that. "
"President Obama's speech at #Tucsan memorial was exactly what out country needed-needs no analysis. It was inspiring. It is our direction."
"From Governor Brewer's strong and full of grace speech to Obama's tone and humanity, what a beautiful memorial."
"If you get a chance to hear President Obama's speech from the Tucson Memorial, I *hope* you watch it. Inspiring, touching, and remarkable."
"Watching the memorial service for the Tucson tragedy... Obama teared up while talking about 9yo Christina Green. So sad."
"To those criticizing the memorial service. Obama is in attendance. Boehner turned it down for a Republican fundraiser. Perspective."
"The president's speech at the Tucson Memorial makes me proud (yet again) to have worked on his campaign and to have voted for him."
"The prez delivered a powerful, moving memorial tonite. I haven't stopped crying"
"If this isn't an appropriate memorial gathering, please tell me why I am weeping. Get well, Gabby Giffords."
"I haven't cried so much since MJs memorial"
"Oh how admire and appreciate the greatness that President Obama exemplifies so genuinely! "

Also. I wasn't cherry picking, most of these were one after another.

Philhelm
01-12-2011, 08:35 PM
I noticed that as well . I do not really watch network tv except sports . Mostly I dvr movies & news . Am I ok ??

Probably not. After all, only an anti-social psychopath wouldn't keep up with America's shallow, televised pop culture de jour. I rarely watch television, since I simply can't stomach most of the crap on it.

Lovecraftian4Paul
01-12-2011, 08:36 PM
Now we will see if anyone has the balls to take on the media juggernaut and the Dems and call this sick ritual out for what it is. The media and left are back in full blown Obama worship mode. I haven't felt this ill since the post 9/11 Bush worship.

angelatc
01-12-2011, 08:36 PM
Good heavens - they printed up t-shirts. http://i.azcentral.com/commphotos/view/442818.jpg

angelatc
01-12-2011, 08:37 PM

"Very good speech by the President. Steered the atmosphere from a raucous pep rally back toward an actual memorial service."
"Say what you want about #Obama but he is one heck of a speaker. He turned a pep rally into a memorial. "
"President Obama's speech at #Tucsan memorial was exactly what out country needed-needs no analysis. It was inspiring. It is our direction."
"From Governor Brewer's strong and full of grace speech to Obama's tone and humanity, what a beautiful memorial."
"If you get a chance to hear President Obama's speech from the Tucson Memorial, I *hope* you watch it. Inspiring, touching, and remarkable."
"Watching the memorial service for the Tucson tragedy... Obama teared up while talking about 9yo Christina Green. So sad."
"To those criticizing the memorial service. Obama is in attendance. Boehner turned it down for a Republican fundraiser. Perspective."
"The president's speech at the Tucson Memorial makes me proud (yet again) to have worked on his campaign and to have voted for him."
"The prez delivered a powerful, moving memorial tonite. I haven't stopped crying"
"If this isn't an appropriate memorial gathering, please tell me why I am weeping. Get well, Gabby Giffords."
"Oh how admire and appreciate the greatness that President Obama exemplifies so genuinely! "

You have a very different feed than I do. :)

Immortal Technique
01-12-2011, 08:38 PM
Thats messed up

awake
01-12-2011, 08:38 PM
From reading those tweets I have absolutely no hope for our human race. But upon reflection and further thought, I was at one time one of these people, asleep at the wheel, so there is hope.

oyarde
01-12-2011, 08:39 PM
Probably not. After all, only an anti-social psychopath wouldn't keep up with America's shallow, televised pop culture de jour. I rarely watch television, since I simply can't stomach most of the crap on it.

Thats funny , I like it . Anti social psycopath deprived of pop culture . Well , you can always hang out and drink beer at my place Phil . I do not watch commercials as well , I fast forward through them . I was up on pop culture some in high school , but I grew up in a time when it was more interesting and the music was better : )

Vessol
01-12-2011, 08:39 PM
Am I the only one who doesn't get the whole "unifying out country" thing that the media is talking about after this incident?

I can kinda see that point after 9/11..but seriously. This was a shooting that killed 6 people, it didn't shatter mine nor the vast majority of Americans lives.

The media is turning it into bread and circuses all because one of the elites was shot. If Giffords wasn't involved, none of this show would be happening. As Anti-Fed calls it, us mundanes are not worthy of memorials and remembrance.

I also like the fucking crocodile tears that Obama pulled off during it, I wonder how much he practiced that beforehand. God damnit, I need to take a break from the news for a few days-it's really getting to me these past few days..

Bruno
01-12-2011, 08:44 PM
What does it say at the bottom of the shirt? Thanks

Philhelm
01-12-2011, 08:44 PM
Good heavens - they printed up t-shirts. http://i.azcentral.com/commphotos/view/442818.jpg

Oh for fuck's sake!

This is really getting annoying. A damned T-shirt with some false, feel-good motto? When does the madness end? I hate how they speak of a nation in mourning! Really? How many people really give a flying fuck about what happened? Sure, the death of a congresswoman is more news worthy because she's a more high profile figure, despite her life not being any more valuable than the next schmuck; I get that, I really do.

This feel-good, political circle jerk is really starting to piss me off. Not a single one of those bastards really care about what had happened. Crocodile tears, the whole lot of 'em!

Philhelm
01-12-2011, 08:53 PM
Thats funny , I like it . Anti social psycopath deprived of pop culture . Well , you can always hang out and drink beer at my place Phil . I do not watch commercials as well , I fast forward through them . I was up on pop culture some in high school , but I grew up in a time when it was more interesting and the music was better : )

Sounds good. I'd be up for watching C-SPAN while Ron Paul is grilling The Ben Bernack and having a few beers.

Anti Federalist
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_0Ixm21tn8&feature=player_embedded

jclay2
This is why I come to Ronpaulforums. It is refreshing and almost laughable when you compare the average poster on this website to the typical sheep in the USA.

Once I heard that people started filling the stands +10 hours for this Concert/Memorial, I knew it would be a great opportunity for the snakes to do some more pumping.

jclay2
01-12-2011, 08:55 PM
Sounds good. I'd be up for watching C-SPAN while Ron Paul is grilling The Ben Bernack and having a few beers.

Have been waiting for this moment since I heard he could run the committee.

oyarde
01-12-2011, 08:57 PM
Am I the only one who doesn't get the whole "unifying out country" thing that the media is talking about after this incident?

I can kinda see that point after 9/11..but seriously. This was a shooting that killed 6 people, it didn't shatter mine nor the vast majority of Americans lives.

The media is turning it into bread and circuses all because one of the elites was shot. If Giffords wasn't involved, none of this show would be happening. As Anti-Fed calls it, us mundanes are not worthy of memorials and remembrance.

I also like the fucking crocodile tears that Obama pulled off during it, I wonder how much he practiced that beforehand. God damnit, I need to take a break from the news for a few days-it's really getting to me these past few days..

Bread & circuses sounds about right .

oyarde
01-12-2011, 08:58 PM

That is my kind of entertainment .

StilesBC
01-12-2011, 09:07 PM
Par for the course. US news media violates my good sense every time I put it on. I've gone cold turkey since the anthrax attacks.

You can vote against it by not watching. Get your news elsewhere.

angelatc
01-12-2011, 09:10 PM
What does it say at the bottom of the shirt? Thanks

Please tell me it isn't "Hope For America."

ETA: It says "Tucson & America"

Did anybody else notice that the shirts are blue? I wonder who paid for those?

bunklocoempire
01-12-2011, 09:28 PM
Cheesy "memorial"? Damn right.

Starting the whole thing off with "Fanfare for the Common Man" tipped me off -and it went downhill from there.

Fanfare for the Common Man?!? Really?

And why the orchestra? Couldn't get ELP to commit in such short notice?

Imagine the healing if a pop group had played...

It never gets weird enough.

Bunkloco

oyarde
01-12-2011, 09:30 PM
Cheesy "memorial"? Damn right.

Starting the whole thing off with "Fanfare for the Common Man" tipped me off -and it went downhill from there.

Fanfare for the Common Man?!? Really?

Imagine the healing if a pop group had played...

It never gets weird enough.

Bunkloco

Sounds like it did get weird enough .

Brian4Liberty
01-12-2011, 09:46 PM

Mike Myers refused to participate, and Kanye West was on vacation...

Matt Collins
01-12-2011, 09:51 PM
null

Matt Collins
01-12-2011, 09:53 PM
Here is what Rand had to say:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vATTieSyI8&feature=player_embedded

Mr.Magnanimous
01-12-2011, 10:04 PM

Bruno
01-12-2011, 10:54 PM
Please tell me it isn't "Hope For America."

ETA: It says "Tucson & America"

Did anybody else notice that the shirts are blue? I wonder who paid for those?

Thanks for that update! Yes, I noticed the blue, too.

Noob
01-13-2011, 02:31 AM
It seem to me that it was about more than one thing. The felling I got that it was about gaining sympathy to impose a ban on more guns.

This would have better than the Fanfare for the Common Man. "In memory", in a moment's of time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNvLu5dkyKc&feature=related

eOs
01-13-2011, 02:47 AM
When you guys say bread and circuses, is this what you mean?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TlWMfPqbOM

kah13176
01-13-2011, 03:30 AM

THIS. I thought I was the only one. How many murders are there every week? When I watch things about this incident, I don't feel any emotional reaction whatsoever. I mean, it's wrong that those people were shot, but I have no personal connection to them. I don't remember all this emotional anxiety after Ft. Hood.

I'm also tired of this DOMINATING the news constantly. Leave the families alone. So that congresswoman can now blink her eyes...I really don't care as long as she's ok in the long run.

libertyjam
01-13-2011, 04:02 AM
Is anybody watching this crap? I watched about fifteen minutes of it and cant take it anymore. All the cheering and hoots and whistles, its like a Whitesnake concert circa 1987. I half expect someone at the end to yell "We love you Tuscon, goodnight!" and make the heavy metal sign.

See, not many people care about the tragedy, most of handwringing and crocodile tears have been about scoring political points. Sad, this is what America is now.

Just the idea of the president making political hay out of this disgusted me so much, I would not watch that smug bastard as he and all those like him danced in the blood of those victims.

nobody's_hero
01-13-2011, 06:04 AM
Mike Myers refused to participate, and Kanye West was on vacation...

Justin Beiber and Miley Cyrus should have sung some sort of duet together.

aGameOfThrones
01-13-2011, 06:50 AM
Never waste a Tragedy! Unless, it's a Baltimore cop shooting into a crowd killing 2 and injuring 4.

Police: 2 dead, 4 hurt in Md. nightclub shooting Play Video AP – Police: 2 dead, 4 hurt in Md. nightclub shooting
By BEN NUCKOLS, Associated Press Ben Nuckols, Associated Press – Mon Jan 10, 8:37 pm ET

BALTIMORE – Baltimore police say that fellow officers fired the gun shots that killed a plainclothes officer during a melee outside a nightclub.

A 22-year-old civilian was also killed in the early Sunday morning shooting.

Police Commissioner Frederick H. Bealefield III said on Monday that no civilians fired any shots.

Officer William Torbit Jr. was on duty in plainclothes when he responded to a report of trouble at the club. Police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi (goo-lee-EHL-mee) says Torbit was trying to break up a fight when he was attacked and pulled out his weapon to defend himself.

At some point after that, officers opened fire, killing the officer. Police say Torbit was wearing his badge but there were no other indicators he was police.

The officers who fired are on administrative leave.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?275288-Bad-Karma-Cops-kill-undercover-cop

Bruno
01-13-2011, 07:31 AM
NBC caption this morning: "Defining Moment? Obama Moves Crowd in Tucscon"

Pretty sad how obvious they are about trying to help him rally political support around this tragedy.

Slutter McGee
01-13-2011, 08:19 AM
I watched it. What was said by Holder, Obama, and Napolitano was all appropriate and respectful for a memorial service. They may have been trying for policitical points, but they were not expressing those points. The problem was the idiot crowd.

Slutter McGee

Bruno
01-13-2011, 08:22 AM
I watched it. What was said by Holder, Obama, and Napolitano was all appropriate and respectful for a memorial service. They may have been trying for policitical points, but they were not expressing those points. The problem was the idiot crowd.

Slutter McGee

Idiot crowd was not prepped then, if we are to assume it was not actually encouraged. They passed out t-shirts for crying out loud.

A simple announcement ahead of time such as "We appreciate you holding your applause, as this is a solemn memorial ceremony, not a political rally. We know many of you are excited to see the Messiah President, but please be respectful and not cheer and whistle."

This wasn't the Obama team's first rodeo.

buck000
01-13-2011, 08:36 AM
I only watched the last bit of the President's speech, but within a minute or two, I was astounded as to the level of political exploitation this represented. I went back through some recorded portions and saw that Napolitano and Holder were speaking as well.

Yeesh.

Brett85
01-13-2011, 08:37 AM
I thought that all of the cheering was ridiculous, but Obama still made a good speech in my opinion. It wasn't really divisive or controversial in any way.

Bruno
01-13-2011, 08:40 AM
I thought that all of the cheering was ridiculous, but Obama still made a good speech in my opinion. It wasn't really divisive or controversial in any way.

It was meant to seize the opportunity to unite under this President. Divisiveness would have been counterproductive towards that goal.

Slutter McGee
01-13-2011, 08:43 AM
Idiot crowd was not prepped then, if we are to assume it was not actually encouraged. They passed out t-shirts for crying out loud.

A simple announcement ahead of time such as "We appreciate you holding your applause, as this is a solemn memorial ceremony, not a political rally. We know many of you are excited to see the Messiah President, but please be respectful and not cheer and whistle."

This wasn't the Obama team's first rodeo.

I have a lot of issues with Obama. This is not one of them. If you don't remember from 2007, there are lot of idiots in our movement. I certainly don't want Ron Paul judged by their actions.

I seriously doubt Obama and Co. encouraged this kind of idiocy. It looked bad on them, and if we have learned one thing, they are smooth political operators. Doesn't mean others didn't encourage it and that the people running it, who passed out t-shirts, were not encouraging it.

This is the first time, and hopefully the last, that I will be in a position to defend Obama. But what he said was appropriate.

Slutter McGee

Brett85
01-13-2011, 08:50 AM
It was meant to seize the opportunity to unite under this President. Divisiveness would have been counterproductive towards that goal.

Well if people unite under Obama it's only going to last for a week or two. This whole thing is going to blow over before much longer.

UtahApocalypse
01-13-2011, 09:00 AM
First rally of the 2012 election cycle.

Bruno
01-13-2011, 10:06 AM
I have a lot of issues with Obama. This is not one of them. If you don't remember from 2007, there are lot of idiots in our movement. I certainly don't want Ron Paul judged by their actions.

I seriously doubt Obama and Co. encouraged this kind of idiocy. It looked bad on them, and if we have learned one thing, they are smooth political operators. Doesn't mean others didn't encourage it and that the people running it, who passed out t-shirts, were not encouraging it.

This is the first time, and hopefully the last, that I will be in a position to defend Obama. But what he said was appropriate.

Slutter McGee

You are more trusting than I. The fact that the media was talking about this opportunity for a President to unite the country, comparing it to Reagan and his speech after the Challenger explosion, leads me to believe everything went according to plan.

The tickets had "Together We Thrive" printed on them. Hokey and political.

Well if people unite under Obama it's only going to last for a week or two. This whole thing is going to blow over before much longer.

Let's hope you're right.

First rally of the 2012 election cycle.

+ rep

Brian4Liberty
01-13-2011, 10:31 AM
Justin Beiber and Miley Cyrus should have sung some sort of duet together.

For some reason Beiber makes sense. Then they could invite a bunch of screaming 10-13 yo girls to the memorial.

angelatc
01-13-2011, 10:52 AM
Never waste a Tragedy! Unless, it's a Baltimore cop shooting into a crowd killing 2 and injuring 4.

Never waste a chance to hijack unrelated thread!!!

sailingaway
01-13-2011, 10:56 AM
I posted some of the drudge pictures on a separate thread: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?275537-Drudge-Front-Page-coverage-of-the-pep-rally-memorial-in-AZ-yesterday-is-interesting

It looks like anything but a memorial.......

angelatc
01-13-2011, 10:56 AM

Slutter McGee

Clinton spoke for 9 minutes after the OKC bombing. Bush spoke for 6 after 9/11. Obama prattled on for 33. This wasn't a memorial service, it was a pep rally with a keynote speaker.

angelatc
01-13-2011, 10:58 AM
I posted some of the drudge pictures on a separate thread: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?275537-Drudge-Front-Page-coverage-of-the-pep-rally-memorial-in-AZ-yesterday-is-interesting

It looks like anything but a memorial.......

Again, the politics. Will the GO risk confronting the media and the sycophants ? If it blows up, they'll end up looking like they're using a tragedy to exploit politics. I don't think they have the cut throat instincts to go for this jugular, which is why they've never been able to just quash the socialist left.

Bruno
01-13-2011, 11:04 AM
Clinton spoke for 9 minutes after the OKC bombing. Bush spoke for 6 after 9/11. Obama prattled on for 33. This wasn't a memorial service, it was a pep rally with a keynote speaker.

Reports are that it was twice as long as they expected him to speak.

Did you hear his intro? "We are so fortunate to have such a brilliant man with us tonight".

sailingaway
01-13-2011, 11:06 AM

Did you hear his intro? "We are so fortunate to have such a brilliant man with us tonight".

You watched? Why??

Slutter McGee
01-13-2011, 11:07 AM

I am more concerned about what he prattled on for 33 minutes about. I good bit of it was talking directly about the victims. Seems appropriate. This is simply one of those rare situations where doing the right thing and making the correct political decision happens to be the same. It seems that to some people, Obama can do no good. When I first started posting here I was immediately accused of being a troll because I didn't think Bush was Satan. I don't think Obama is either. I may disagree with 99% of what he does, but I can still recognize something good the other 1%.

The crowd were the idiots here. Not Obama. What I am worried about is what BS legislation Obama will try to pass through as a result of what has happened.

Slutter McGee

sailingaway
01-13-2011, 11:10 AM
I am more concerned about what he prattled on for 33 minutes about. I good bit of it was talking directly about the victims. Seems appropriate. This is simply one of those rare situations where doing the right thing and making the correct political decision happens to be the same. It seems that to some people, Obama can do no good. When I first started posting here I was immediately accused of being a troll because I didn't think Bush was Satan. I don't think Obama is either. I may disagree with 99% of what he does, but I can still recognize something good the other 1%.

The crowd were the idiots here. Not Obama. What I am worried about is what BS legislation Obama will try to pass through as a result of what has happened.

Slutter McGee

The t shirts were VERY POORLY thought through. Obama couldn't and wouldn't turn down the speaking slot, and if I liked him, I would have watched. I don't, so I didn't. But the t shirts were trying to use a tragedy for political points, whomever came up with them.

Bruno
01-13-2011, 11:11 AM
You watched? Why??

Because I like to be informed.

That, and I get bored of poking myself in the eye with a hot knife, so sometimes I will listen to Obama speeches such as this one.

angelatc
01-13-2011, 11:13 AM
I am more concerned about what he prattled on for 33 minutes about. I good bit of it was talking directly about the victims. Seems appropriate.

Except that he didn't actually know any of them.

Travlyr
01-13-2011, 11:13 AM
Somehow, I have a very difficult time imagining a President Ron Paul seizing upon a tragedy like this for political gain.

angelatc
01-13-2011, 11:20 AM

No, I can't bear to watch any president speak. I tried turning it on for a few minutes, and heard him giving a message that he should have delivered the day after the shootings, and couldn't stomach it.

This wasn't his gut reaction - this was the work of the handlers.

Slutter McGee
01-13-2011, 11:21 AM
Except that he didn't actually know any of them.

What would you have liked him to talk about? Gun Control? Drugs? Mental Disorders? Would you have rather just not had him go? I understand, but a United States congresswoman, and a Federal Judge were shot.

Slutter McGee

Bruno
01-13-2011, 11:29 AM
What would you have liked him to talk about? Gun Control? Drugs? Mental Disorders? Would you have rather just not had him go? I understand, but a United States congresswoman, and a Federal Judge were shot.

Slutter McGee

Go back to post 11, if you missed it. This was the speech he was supposed to give for its intended purpose, which was not soley to honor those who were slain that day.

Marc Penn said in Nov. that Obama needed an Oklahoma City moment to unify the country. The magnitude of this opportunity to exploit was lost on neither the speech writer nor the speaker.

silentshout
01-13-2011, 11:33 AM

Lol, i was joking about this with my Dad last night. I haven't watched TV (well, i do watch Netflix streaming for the hbo shows i like) for years..i guess people will think i am some crazed nut now.

silentshout
01-13-2011, 11:35 AM
My thoughts exactly. That has to be the most inappropriate "memorial" I have ever seen. It was like a sporting event with the cheers. And they are cheering for Janet Napolitano and Eric Holder? Seriously sick. It seemed truly twisted to have them reading Bible verses.

From the reports i have read about it, it does seem to be in very bad taste. What are they thinking?

Slutter McGee
01-13-2011, 11:36 AM
Go back to post 11, if you missed it. This was the speech he was supposed to give for its intended purpose, which was not soley to honor those who were slain that day.

Marc Penn said in Nov. that Obama needed an Oklahoma City moment to unify the country. The magnitude of this opportunity to exploit was lost on neither the speech writer nor the speaker.

Of course it fucking helps their political agenda. That doesn't change the fact that it was the right thing to do, and the right way to do it. You can question why the President gave a respectful and appropriate speech. But it is still respectful and appropriate.

Slutter McGee

Slutter McGee

aGameOfThrones
01-13-2011, 11:43 AM
Never waste a chance to hijack unrelated thread!!!

Lets see:

A Citizen in Arizona fired at a crowd and killed 6(including 1 Fed judge and injured 1 Fed representative), in Baltimore a Cop fired at a crowd and killed 2(1 cop, 1 citizen), in the former a huge media uproar in the latter nothing. Now, while unrelated to each other... similar, wouldn't you say?

Bruno
01-13-2011, 11:43 AM
Of course it fucking helps their political agenda. That doesn't change the fact that it was the right thing to do, and the right way to do it. You can question why the President gave a respectful and appropriate speech. But it is still respectful and appropriate.

Slutter McGee

Slutter McGee

Right thing to do, wrong way to do it. :)

Here's how it could have looked, from the perspective of those putting together the event:

"What? You're printing t-shirts that say Together We Thrive on them and putting them on every chair? And tickets with the same political slogan? Um, no, we're not going to do that, it wouldn't be right. Tonight is not the night for that."

"Hey, this isn't a rally. Someone announce a few times before we begin not to cheer for the President, this is supposed to be a solemn event. You can tell they're all excited and everything, and have been waiting up to 10 hours to see him, but it is not appropriate and we want to ensure this is not seen as an Obama rally."

"Mr. President, please don't make a point to tell people she opened her eyes right after you had been in the room. It is in poor taste, and though coincidental, will be fodder for your opponents. Oh, and brevity is underrated. Keep it short. And don't bring up the word vitriol, and that has no place here because it was the act of a schizophrenic madman perhaps, but there is no evidence political rhetoric had anything to do with it."

angelatc
01-13-2011, 11:45 AM
Lets see:

A Citizen in Arizona fired at a crowd and killed 6(including 1 Fed judge and injured 1 Fed representative), in Baltimore a Cop fired at a crowd and killed 2(1 cop, 1 citizen), in the former a huge media uproar in the latter nothing. Now, while unrelated to each other... similar, wouldn't you say?

What's the title of this thread, Einstein?

angelatc
01-13-2011, 11:47 AM
I don't think this is worthy of another thread - but here's an interesting post about media bias in a simultaneous memorial : http://pajamasmedia.com/tatler/2011/01/12/word-salad-of-hate-at-oakland-vigil-for-tucson-victims/

"That’s how subtle media bias can be — simply switching off the camera when inconvenient things start happening."

Slutter McGee
01-13-2011, 11:52 AM

Here's how it could have looked, from the perspective of those putting together the event:

"What? You're printing t-shirts that say Together We Thrive on them and putting them on every chair? And tickets with the same political slogan? Um, no, we're not going to do that, it wouldn't be right. Tonight is not the night for that."

"Hey, this isn't a rally. Someone announce a few times before we begin not to cheer for the President, this is supposed to be a solemn event. You can tell they're all excited and everything, and have been waiting up to 10 hours to see him, but it is not appropriate and we want to ensure this is not seen as an Obama rally."

"Mr. President, please don't make a point to tell people she opened her eyes right after you had been in the room. It is in poor taste, and though coincidental, will be fodder for your opponents. Oh, and brevity is underrated. Keep it short. And don't bring up the word vitriol, and that has no place here because it was the act of a schizophrenic madman perhaps, but there is no evidence political rhetoric had anything to do with it."

Usually I enjoy debating with ya'll. But I really can't bring myself to defend Obama anymore than I have. So we will just have to agree to disagree on the speech, and agree that both sides are going to use this tragedy as a means of pushing through more liberty restricting legislation. Which is the real shame and disrespect in my opinion.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

Slutter McGee

angelatc
01-13-2011, 11:52 AM
MIke Church's take on it: http://www.mikechurch.com/Public-Transcripts/a-memorial-or-a-pep-rally.html

"Meanwhile, in section 780, tucked way in the back near the nosebleeds, behind the student body handing out t-shirts and Obama foam fingers were the 6 people in the establishment that actually came for something called a memorial, which according to the dictionary is defined as: something designed to preserve the memory of a person, event, etc."

Brian4Liberty
01-13-2011, 11:55 AM
From the reports i have read about it, it does seem to be in very bad taste. What are they thinking?

It was mostly the crowd, who was cheering like it was a sporting event. Combine that with the list of government officials speaking, and it didn't seem like a memorial. The Congresswoman is not dead, so it wasn't a memorial for her. I wonder how the families of the dead felt about it?

If they want to have a Democrat rally/party somewhere, that is fine. Something seems wrong with combining it with a funeral/memorial.

angelatc
01-13-2011, 11:58 AM

Heh. I'm willing to wager that the t-shirt thing was discussed, but they decided it was a good idea. Nothing in politics is an accident.

This is what happens, because young people have decided that etiquette isn't important any more. Not all young people, but a huge number of them will argue that the gentle unwritten rules of society aren't important. This is what happens.

pcosmar
01-13-2011, 12:12 PM
Nothing in politics is an accident.

Never let a crisis go to waste.
It is my opinion that this whole event was/is staged,,for a purpose.

I may not be able to convince anyone here of that and could not "prove it" in a court of law.
Still it is my opinion that this entire event was a Staged for Media event.

angelatc
01-13-2011, 12:59 PM
Never let a crisis go to waste.
It is my opinion that this whole event was/is staged,,for a purpose.

I may not be able to convince anyone here of that and could not "prove it" in a court of law.
Still it is my opinion that this entire event was a Staged for Media event.

Of course it was. It was even branded. The tickets had the slogan printed on them too.

puppetmaster
01-13-2011, 01:23 PM
cheesy is a nice word for it

NewRightLibertarian
01-13-2011, 04:50 PM

Absolute brainwashed indoctrination right here. Very troubling to think about. Watch Obama's approval rating skyrocket in the upcoming days as well. Sad.

HOLLYWOOD
01-13-2011, 07:33 PM
Sheeeeeeet AF, I Double Dog Dare You... Cuz I got your's beat by: Crackhead Whitney Houston, some War dedication, and a Fly-over of Weapons of Mass Destruction! ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h9NN5FhJ7I

Here, this will perk things up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q65KZIqay4E

Kludge
01-28-2011, 11:48 AM
"First lady says Tucson service showed 'who we are'"

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_MICHELLE_OBAMA_?SITE=ALANN&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT