PDA

View Full Version : CPAC or SFL International Conference?

thehighwaymanq
01-11-2011, 08:25 PM
Evening!

My name is Matthew, I am 18 years old and a senior in High School. This Feburary i'm interested in attending a major political conference but I'm having issues choosing which one. I attended the Students for Liberty: New York conference back in October and had a great time! Now I am stuck between attending their International conference in D.C.

More info- http://politicalconferences.org/2010/07/2011-international-students-for-liberty-conference/

Or attending CPAC. I am confused however, this site has all C4L events. Are there separate rooms for different speakers and such, because there's no way all these pro-Liberty events would go on in the main forum.

More info- http://www.campaignforliberty.com/event/cpac2011.php?page=registration

From anyone's prespective and experience, what do you feel is a better conference to attend? The SFL conference will feature students closer to my age, but the CPAC is a bigger deal.

Thanks for the help,
Matthew

MRoCkEd
01-11-2011, 08:40 PM
CPAC for sure. It will allow you to do the most for Ron Paul and his influence in the conservative movement. The ISFLC, while interesting, is basically just preaching to the choir.

Yes, there are various conference rooms. Rand and Ron's speeches will be in the main room, while other C4L events will be in other rooms.

Anti Federalist
01-11-2011, 08:41 PM
CPAC by all means

Dreamofunity
01-11-2011, 10:21 PM
I chose SFL, more for the personal reasons of not wanting to be around a group of people that wanted to boycott their own event because those dastardly gays and libertarians would be there, and I'm not sure the SGA would fund two groups for the same event (College Republicans are going to CPAC, they'd most likely just tell us -YAL- to go with them).

Pros of CPAC:
Ron Paul
Rand Paul
Judge
Tom Woods

Cons:
Being stuck in a large room full of people that want to legislate morality, are bigots, or war hawks, and a combination thereof; having to sit through the likes of Sarah Palin, Ann Coulter, Rick Perry, and Mit Romney, to eventually get to hear a 5-10 minutes Ron/Rand speech which will undoubtfully be booed.

Pros of SFL:
Fun
John Stossel
Free Swag
Economic discussion

Cons of SFL:
So close to CPAC that unless you live close it is unfeasible to go to both.

Keith and stuff
01-12-2011, 01:22 PM
As you likely know, SFL is full of liberty people and has little to do with politics. CPAC may have more liberty people than SFL (maybe not) but the majority of the people there are not pro-liberty and it is a highly political event.

TheTyke
01-12-2011, 01:32 PM
Ron definitely needs our help at CPAC. It's like the most important strategic thing we can do for him right now (and in turn, for the liberty movement.) Also, if you're pretty well formed in your ideology, it makes sense to engage and bring people in.

I'm pretty sure there will be hundreds of young liberty-minded people at CPAC too, just not necessarily the majority.

Thomas
01-12-2011, 04:27 PM
CPAC if you want RP to win and run a presidential campaign

Zack
01-12-2011, 05:06 PM
Can't really say which I think you would enjoy more, but I agree with most everyone else that CPAC is the place to go to stand up and be on the frontlines of the liberty movement.

Bergie Bergeron
01-12-2011, 05:10 PM
CPAC for sure to vote for Ron.

kah13176
01-12-2011, 05:11 PM
Helping Ron to win the CPAC straw poll will get his name out there since he's juxtaposed next to the GOP frontrunners. Ron NEEDS that media coverage that CPAC brings. Ron getting the GOP nomination would be the biggest possible boon for the freedom movement.

Epic
01-12-2011, 05:18 PM
Things to note:

1. The ISIL conference is a whole week after CPAC.

2. The ISIL conference has non-libertarian speakers. Megan McCardel and Tyler Cowen are NOT libetarians and actively make fun of real libertarians like Ron Paul.

3. Ron Paul needs CPAC votes - he might get 50% this year! (The straw poll should be open all of Thursday and Friday morning).

trey4sports
01-12-2011, 06:34 PM
You forgot the RLC conference