PDA

View Full Version : Can no longer use YouTube account unless I link to a Google account.

amy31416
01-11-2011, 06:18 AM
Link your YouTube and Google Accounts
You will no longer be able to sign in to YouTube without a Google Account.
If you do not want to link this YouTube account, you can sign out here.

Why, you ask?

Improved security
Better security reduces the chance of account theft.

Personally, I'm not going to link anything to anything...I'm hardly worried about someone stealing my YouTube account. Seems like it's the beginning of the erosion of online anonymity.

Bern
01-11-2011, 06:33 AM
Google bought YouTube. They are assimilating all the properties they buy into the Google brand. They did the same thing with blogger, doubleclick, etc. Probably, it offers them some savings/efficiency in reducing the number of large databases they have to manage. But it also means less anonymity for folks using their services.

hugolp
01-11-2011, 06:48 AM
Just create a random gmail account and off you go.

nobody's_hero
01-11-2011, 06:56 AM
I just keep hitting the "ask me later" option at the bottom of that page when you try to sign in. It's VERY small.

Call me paranoid, but I think it would be better security NOT to have your accounts linked together in the internet world (as much as possible, if possible).

Is this the free market working, though? Consolidation of the internet under a few companies? or is there more going on behind closed curtains?

amy31416
01-11-2011, 07:04 AM
I just keep hitting the "ask me later" option at the bottom of that page when you try to sign in. It's VERY small.

Call me paranoid, but I think it would be better security NOT to have your accounts linked together in the internet world (as much as possible, if possible).

Is this the free market working, though? Consolidation of the internet under a few companies? or is there more going on behind closed curtains?

The "ask me later" option disappeared for me today, that's what I'd been doing.

And yeah, I agree that it's better security to not have accounts linked, which is one of the reasons that I won't do it....ultimately though, the main reason that I won't do it is because it annoys the crap out of me. For all intents, it's already linked because it prompts me to "officially" link by bringing up my gmail account.

I've had these accounts since around 2005-2007 anyways, maybe it's time to let them die. They're just spam generators for the most part. My only hesitation is that without an account, I can't rate, comment or promote a video, and with 2012 coming up, I just might be interested in that.

Eh...maybe I'll give the account to someone else...that'd be kinda funny. :p

angelatc
01-11-2011, 07:05 AM
Personally, I'm not going to link anything to anything...I'm hardly worried about someone stealing my YouTube account. Seems like it's the beginning of the erosion of online anonymity.

I had the same reaction. Security for me is not using the same name, email and password all over the internet. EIther I won't sign into YouTube or I'll just create a fake Google account.

DamianTV
01-11-2011, 07:51 AM

Obama administration moves forward with unique internet ID for all Americans (http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/09/obama-administration-moves-forward-with-unique-internet-id-for-a/)

jmdrake
01-11-2011, 08:28 AM
Just create a random gmail account and off you go.

This. I have several throwaway Google accounts. I could care less how much spam they get. I never read them.