PDA

View Full Version : Colleges limited in what they can do about troubled students

bobbyw24
01-11-2011, 06:13 AM
Loughner apparently never received any help, though his behavior came to the attention of officials. After high school, he enrolled in an algebra class at Pima Community College in Tucson. But the teacher and students in the class raised concerns about him.

"There was never a time when he was in class that he was not disruptive, and he scared me," student Lynda Sorenson wrote in one of several e-mails about Loughner. "He frightened the daylights out of me. I kept saying to people, 'I'm afraid he's going to come into the class with a gun.' "

Loughner later was suspended after he posted a YouTube video in which he said the college was "unconstitutional." The school barred him from returning until he met with a mental health professional and received a positive evaluation.

Education officials said they often were "caught between a rock and hard place."

"They can't take the person out of class until they've done something," said Gwendolyn Jordan Dungy, the executive director of the National Association of Student Personnel Administrators. "They look as if they should take responsibility. Look at Virginia Tech."

Read more: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2011/01/10/106554/colleges-limited-in-what-they.html