PDA

View Full Version : Seeing the death..And rebirth of the Republican party

jkaufmann
10-21-2007, 10:43 PM
It occured to me that the Republican party is, and has been, a joining of different camps under a so-called conservative stance.

Conservative meaning -- restraint.

The different camps falling into the following:
1.Social conservative == Restraint on individual actions
2.Foreign policy conservatism == Restraint on the initiation of war and conflict
3.Fiscal conservatism == Spend less / No deficit spending
4.Government conservatism == Less government
5.Trade conservatism == ??? I think this falls in the camp of Fair trade, not Free Trade

Maybe there are a few more. But it is apparent whatever cohesive element the Republican party had is splitting. The social conservatives, mainly represented by the religous right, are in discourse as are the Foreign policy + Fiscal Conservatives (libertarians).

It seems the 2nd tier candidates in Huckabee and Paul are rising with this apparent break in the Republican field.

Am I feeling this right or does my internal compus need to be calibrated?

I just don't think all of these conseravtive values can live under the same roof and achieve the same goals.

Is is possible for the split to include the libertarians and social conservatives under one roof? I am not sure they are completely united enough on similar principles to unite in one voting block.

Anyways.. These are just thoughts. Since I'm already maxed out on donating I feel like a bump on a log. :(

werdd
10-21-2007, 10:49 PM
thomas jeffersons republican party.

Thinking back on us history, i really think it's odd how andrew jackson was a strong central goverment democrat, yet he destroyed the FED in 1830 something. Just like jefferson did earlier on. maybe i dont remember this correctly.

jkaufmann
10-21-2007, 10:53 PM
thomas jeffersons republican party.

Thinking back on us history, i really think it's odd how andrew jackson was a strong central goverment democrat, yet he destroyed the FED in 1830 something. Just like jefferson did earlier on. maybe i dont remember this correctly.

I thought Jefferson gave birth to the Deomocratic party? actualy called in his day the Democratic-Republicans.

Wasn't the Republican party birthed from Lincoln? I could have my history all messed up. Should probably research more before posting.

I just think it is interesting when it finaly hit me that we are actualy seeing the current Republican party split.

Its too bad the Constitution Party and the LP wouldn't unite.. That seems to be the flavore of Paul. I'm just worried that this ground swell of support will have no where to go after the election.

Valene
10-21-2007, 11:05 PM
We witnessed a historic moment in Republican party history tonight. The booing of a candidate will be talked about for years to come.

John C. Fremont was the first Republican candidate by the way.